Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Things that made you happy today (are cool)

Postby Thomas » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:17 pm

My first successful attempt to deliberately break out of a low-mood period!

I've gotten a lot better over recent years at picking out the signs of it happening, and the affects of that. So I found myself refreshing youtube, hoping for new videos to appear, searching through Netflix without watching anything, not starting a new game to play, not cooking properly, lying in bed all that kind of thing. And normally I get trapped into going through my usual website, trying to find anything new to distract me. That would inevitably fail, lower my mood further, eat up a bunch of time and maybe even disrupt my sleep pattern.

This time I convinced myself to out for a walk and to look round some shops, and from there to do a longer walk to one of the more coastal parts of Cardiff, and from there to the tip of Cardiff Bay and then back along the barrage (where a ton of people and families walk by) and home. And by the end of it, I was way better and even got some cooking and chores done. There were even some little signs of improvement during the walk, liking going from wanting to buy a fizzy drink to wanting to buy a smoothie instead.

So that was really nice to achieve, because normally I'd just resign myself to a few days of disruption and unfun. But it's also confirmation that I'm beginning to solve the puzzle and figure this out more. I still don't have it all down, because I've done walks before and they haven't helped, but I think if I wasn't consciously aware that the webbrowsing makes things worse I wouldn't have been able to convince myself to go out today.

One of the bits of advice the head designer of Magic: The Gathering likes to give, is that gamers tend to use a whole bunch of analytical skills in their games and that you can apply a lot of that thinking to your life too. I'm not a very analytical gamer, but this is one problem I'd like to solve. I've still got a ton left to do - like making this reproducible and figuring out what causes it and what causes the good-mood periods - but I've definitely hit a checkpoint.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:12 pm

Finally after 6 years, I'm going to be upgrading my motherboard. It will have the Z270 chipset and an i7-7700K* (vs the i7 950 I have now) because we're starting to see games that can use all those threads and DD4-3200.

I'm not upgrading the other components but I already have a GTX 970 and a couple of SSDs that I believe were all bottlenecked or at least bound by my old hardware. But next item on the list will probably be an M.2 drive.

I should probably put this under things that suck but I broke my 500 dollar monitor. One of those fancy 144hz ips gsync deals. Its probably going to cost half of that to fix the cracked screen.

*To counter the perception of bragging here, I'll remind you that I can only afford to do this because I'm a pathetic single guy who irresponsibly spends his tax refunds. If you can't afford this, its probably because you're an actual adult, not just the age of an adult.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Separately, I'm enjoying He Will Not Divide Us.

I think with time, the story of a grand game of capture the flag taking place between an overly serious celebrity and a bunch of playful trolls will bring us all together in a rather ironic fashion (irony being the only force that has a chance of uniting us). This isn't violence, its a game. It has even been broken up into seasons. By the end, there may be a book in this that will prove a fun read.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:43 pm

A week from today, I'll be getting married. We've been dating since my last year of college, almost four and a half years now, so it's been awhile coming, but it's still kind of hard to believe how close it is.

We're both pretty nerdy (she's a big Zelda fan, a bit of unfortunate timing for her on that BoTW launch date), but the wedding won't be overtly nerdy, except for a few music choices, with To Zanarkand (FFX) and Dearly Beloved (Kingdom Hearts) as processionals, the Star Wars Throne Room theme as a recessional, and Suteki Da Ne (FFX) as our first dance piece.

I'm a bit nervous, a bit behind in honeymoon planning (maybe a bit more than "a bit"), but I'm mostly excited. So if I disappear for most of the month of April, that's why.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:20 am

That's brilliant to hear, good luck!
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:28 am

Best wishes!

As for me, small things are what do it for me. Like finding a chat community on discrod where I can went my thoughts on Nanoha, sci-fi and etc. That made it a lot of fun for me. Which is strange since I'm really not a chat kind of person. But this one does it for me.
The bad news is that I tend to waste my time there now EVEN MORE. Oh well, no glass of honey was ever drank without mixing it with vinigar.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:24 am

It was a really sunny weekend that made it feel like spring and Cardiff was really pleasant with lots of people outside, so that made me happy.

And then we had the mother of all April showers (on 1st April!), that amused me :p
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:35 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Finally after 6 years, I'm going to be upgrading my motherboard. It will have the Z270 chipset and an i7-7700K* (vs the i7 950 I have now) because we're starting to see games that can use all those threads and DD4-3200.

I'm not upgrading the other components but I already have a GTX 970 and a couple of SSDs that I believe were all bottlenecked or at least bound by my old hardware. But next item on the list will probably be an M.2 drive.

I should probably put this under things that suck but I broke my 500 dollar monitor. One of those fancy 144hz ips gsync deals. Its probably going to cost half of that to fix the cracked screen.

*To counter the perception of bragging here, I'll remind you that I can only afford to do this because I'm a pathetic single guy who irresponsibly spends his tax refunds. If you can't afford this, its probably because you're an actual adult, not just the age of an adult.

And got it done. On and off it took most of a day. But it came together beautifully. Everything works and runs faster and cooler even with a little less power. Something is going right.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Rutskarn's current Patreon serial is getting real real good.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 am

My father came home from surgery,well on his way to full recovery.And more importantly,it was not cancerous as we feared it couldve been.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:20 pm

I've read Clickhole (same people behind "The Onion") before, but I just discovered they have a series called "Split Screen" which makes fun of games journalists reading too much into video games. And they have a ton of stuff mocking slacktivism and other social media bathos. In the beginning they were just mocking listicles which was cute but not enough to keep me coming back. They're next level now.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Please welcome to the world of Nerd-dom my new born daughter.

Leia Jasmine Mitchell.
Born 24th April 2017 @ 11:28 AM
Weighing 7lb 3

She's the one in the pink.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 03, 2017 7:24 pm

Yes... I did get to name her. My wife was perfectly happy with a baddass Princess name (twice) For family tradition we needed an 'LJ' and I'm a bit of a fan so..... Happy right now!
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:18 am

grahams_xwing wrote:She's the one in the pink.
Dammit! And I was totally going to make the obvious joke and everything!

Congrats regardless. :)
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon May 08, 2017 4:55 pm

My sister got married this weekend. The family was there, everybody had fun, it was pretty like I knew my sister wanted. I'm happy both because I remember when my little sister was a little girl and all the time she spent rummaging through costumes in her room changing every ten minutes. She managed to dress like a princess bride saturday night without blowing her budget. My father revealed a previously unknown talent for writing speeches that had everyone present in tears, even the men. Apparently he just needed the right inspiration.

I'm blessed. All three of my siblings did a great job picking their mates. Level headed, nice, thoughtful, not at all likely to be sources of drama. Especially Candace. Not once did we even need to worry that we were going to have to beat up one of her boyfriends in spite of our promises to do so if necessary.

My part in it could have gone under the "things that make you unhappy" section. The wedding was held out of town and Google failed me as a navigator, turning me down a mud road where I ended up stuck for hours, partly because I struggled to even tell them how to find me. Thank goodness for gps and camera phones and backup batteries.

But honestly, that could have gone under fun memories now that I'm free of it.
Cinebeast

Postby Cinebeast » Wed May 10, 2017 4:28 am

I'm working on a project in Unreal Engine 4, and recently I've been hampered by some incredibly frustrating technical issues. I asked for help on the forums, and someone answered. We've been going back and forth for a few days now. This afternoon we finally fixed the issues.

Not exactly a wedding or a baby or anything, but it's left me feeling pretty happy all the same.

Also: I'm new here! To the forums, I mean. I've been a fan of Shamus' since 2012 or so, but this is my first post. Hi.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed May 10, 2017 6:54 am

Hello there. I know the feeling of finally resolving some annoying technical glitch/problem.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat May 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Eurovision!!!
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 am

When is Australia just going to send Sia? She's by far the Eurovisioniest pop star we've ever produced.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Germany decided to send fakeSia instead
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue May 16, 2017 2:57 am

Now that I formally have taken possession of my house, I can finally do the stuff I've wanted to do for years - been busy booking quotes for air conditioning, an alarm system, and renovation of the bathrooms. Timing is a bit awkward coming right up to winter, but I didn't want to wait any longer.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”