Favourite webcomics

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
krellen

Re: Favourite webcomics

Postby krellen » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:55 pm

That Tale from the Borderlands line is almost certainly a Questionable Content reference.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Unlikely, since that line has almost certainly never been said by Vaugn and Rys, but was added by Fiona who was at that point annoyed/bored by R&V's feelings moment, so she exaggerated their speech.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:50 am

For anyone interested in completed webcomics, the [url=comic.skullkickers.com]Skullkickers[/url] web comic is now complete. It was originally a conventional print comic, but it's pages were now being posted on the web.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:06 pm

I can't help but stifle a giggle whenever I hear about people's issues with the Win 10 upgrade spam (don't get me wrong, it IS rather annoying and sketchy), because I've had my computers upgraded for months and thus haven't had a problem with it at all. :P

That and most of the other computers I deal with that haven't upgraded yet never popped up the tool, because something about their settings prevented them from installing the update automatically - not something I set up specifically either. It's made for a rather dissonant experience for me on that front.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:15 pm

I caught my computer updating behind my back once, and stopped it. No problems after that; I think my habit of closing windows rather than using the prompts has kept me out of any other traps. (Plus I usually keep my computer off if I'm not at it, so it's hard for windows to sneak something on me unless I'm running a large over night download)
Last edited by Supahewok on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:58 am

I have a large amount of Win7 machines at work which I administer. None have upgraded because since they are part of a Domain (active directory) they won't update on their own. In fact not even the tool shows up in the tray.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 am

Ironically my old desktop - the PC I wanted to try Win10 on first before touching my other machines - refused to upgrade. It fulfilled all the requirements as far as I could tell, but it flat out wouldn't work. No GWX icon, and despite trying any number of workarounds to force it to appear, nothing happened. When I tried a manual installation, it refused to activate. In the end I had to clean re-install Win7 and all the relevant patches before I could finally upgrade. I then reinstalled Win7 on a separate partition and they now co-exist happily (using the GWX Toolbox application to prevent another automatic upgrade)
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:29 pm

4th Dimension wrote:I have a large amount of Win7 machines at work which I administer. None have upgraded because since they are part of a Domain (active directory) they won't update on their own. In fact not even the tool shows up in the tray.

This is the reason for most of my machines, but I definitely have several that aren't on the domain that haven't upgraded themselves (though one or two had the tool). My home computer also did not bug me about it at all in the several months I waited before I upgraded it.

I had one Win8 machine give me trouble on the upgrade too - it displayed the tool when I updated it, but then it would close immediately after trying to start the download. Was a little weird - ended up using the media creation tool.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:06 pm

And when I tell people to sue MEGACORP XYZ they tell me how thats just crazy talk.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 pm

So in not favorite webcomic news... There's a writer/artist and team that makes a lot of light, comedic, fanservicey/sex-positive webcomics. Menage a 3, Sticky Dilly Buns, Sandra on the Rocks, Eerie Cuties, Magick Chicks, Dangerously Chloe. These people make a lot of webcomics.

Every single one has lost my attention.

In every single one I feel like the character sprawl has gotten so great that the comic in now way gives focus to the characters or plotlines they started with, and with the characters and plots sprawling out they also lose any focus on their premise. It's kind of sad actually that I've read four of their webcomics, kept up with them, and now have removed four of their webcomics from my bookmark folder.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:26 pm

That is... a surprisingly small amount of money for a lawsuit against a company. It's like she was actually asking for a reasonable amount or something...
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Ayup.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Some people are morons.

That link could lead to literally any S*P comic and the text would still be an accurate descriptor.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:13 am

Ladies and gentlemen: Dr. McNinja has ended after an outstanding 12-year run.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am

Yeah, it's over. The ending was kinda confusing though what with all, oh no he is dead, oh no he isn't. I'm still not certain it is McNinja and not his clone that died.

On the other hand there is a trend I have been noticing. Webcomics keep finishing, but I'm not really finding new and interesting ones.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:45 pm

I thought Henchgirl's ending was a bit of a let-down too. It just didn't really feel like the story was meant to end there.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:52 am

4th Dimension wrote:On the other hand there is a trend I have been noticing. Webcomics keep finishing, but I'm not really finding new and interesting ones.

Well then you're clearly not looking hard enough. :P

Although to be fair, it's much harder to find something really good when there's a lot of 'so-so' and 'yuck' in the webcomic arena as well (as with many things). Not to mention that most of my webcomic hits come from random links from other people, which doesn't help.

Now I'm gonna have to go back and read the whole thing, since Dr. McNinja is one of those on-again-off-again comics for me because I prefer to read it in batches rather than a page at a time... so I've forgotten half of it since the last time. Archive binge awaaaaaaaay.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:45 pm

@Thomas: That one too was on the weak side. I get what he was trying to do, show that Mary is now finally out of her hench phase and is now finally truly a hero, but you don't leave the plot in the middle of an invasion by CarrotMen and with your friend missing just as the heroine is about to mount the assault on the enemy. That makes me want to learn more and not feel like a proper closure.

It could be that I'm not finding them. On the other hand given how video is dominating these days it's probably also cutting into webcommics, where creative people are doing things with video instead of using simple pictures. Plus I have refined tastes on what I like.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:01 pm

The time I have available has changed and so I'm struggling just to keep up with the webcomics I like, so I don't really know what the health of the business is like.

Penny Arcade don't advocate their comic nearly as much as they used to, a lot of it is video. That might be a sign of change
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Thomas wrote:I thought Henchgirl's ending was a bit of a let-down too. It just didn't really feel like the story was meant to end there.

Honestly I felt like Henchgirl had been going downhill for a while long before the ending, it was just that the ending also came out of nowhere and resolved nothing.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:38 pm

SpammyV wrote:
Thomas wrote:I thought Henchgirl's ending was a bit of a let-down too. It just didn't really feel like the story was meant to end there.

Honestly I felt like Henchgirl had been going downhill for a while long before the ending, it was just that the ending also came out of nowhere and resolved nothing.

I think it was a major victim of plot fatigue. The entire evil serum or whatever plot lasted waaaaaayyy too long for my liking and that did kind of change the major idea of the webcomic, the henchgirl with a heart of gold. And since it overstayed it's welcome due to the way it was published by the time it got resolved you forgot what was the original problem in the first place.
As we have covered before it's a MAJOR problem with the webcomic format and the way they are done. Simply put plot arcs should not last longer than a year TOP. Schlock mercenary does try to stick to that and still by the end of a story I often forget the details of the initial entanglement so I often have to reread it once it's over.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”