Favourite webcomics

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
4th Dimension

Re: Favourite webcomics

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:50 am

So since strangely Demian is not commenting, what's up with that GREEN FLAME in OOTS?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:22 am

4th Dimension wrote:So since strangely Demian is not commenting, what's up with that GREEN FLAME in OOTS?

That's just the Starmetal in Roy's sword acting up. I think we last saw it way back when he last faced Xykon in... the Azure City Siege? Super effective against undead. Only seems to activate when he gets mad.

Edit: Here's the strip way back when his sword was reforged with the Starmetal.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Ahhh. Gracias.

I was mostly wondering because Roy looked surprised as I was.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:26 pm

I got the impression that, even had he remembered it was a thing, Roy didn't expect the energy to be so... potent.

I mean, for "particularly harmful to undead" that was pretty flashy (and it seems to have healed him too!).
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:03 am

Between the Darth Sith Jar Jar Binks theory and someone linking to Darths and Droids earlier, I've started reading that comic again. (Previously I read the first arc, then dropped it)

I just discovered that comic #50 has quite the rabbit hole of humor in its commentary section.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:07 am

Retsam wrote:Between the Darth Sith Jar Jar Binks theory and someone linking to Darths and Droids earlier, I've started reading that comic again. (Previously I read the first arc, then dropped it)

I just discovered that comic #50 has quite the rabbit hole of humor in its commentary section.

They add a new one every 50 comics.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:26 am

I just noticed that if you follow the link at the end of the commentary ("screencap comic based on Harry Potter") it goes to a page of said comic... with similar commentary and another link! This goes on for something like 20 different variations (granted, only a page each), to the point where I wondered if it even had an end.

...Someone's going to say I'm late to the party on that one, I know it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:35 am

Trix2000 wrote:I just noticed that if you follow the link at the end of the commentary ("screencap comic based on Harry Potter") it goes to a page of said comic... with similar commentary and another link! This goes on for something like 20 different variations (granted, only a page each), to the point where I wondered if it even had an end.

Yup,every 50 strips when they add a new level,they update the previous one with those things.If you go to the forums at that time,someone always posts the links to both the updated old comic and the new bonus level,so that can save your time once youve read them all.

Also,if you havent tried,the links to the archive and cast are also different in those bonus comics,with plenty of puns,and the faq page has some jokes in it as well.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Gunnerkrigg Court just had the Best. Chapter. Ever. For context it's best if you start on the last page of the previous chapter.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:53 am

Retsam wrote:Gunnerkrigg Court just had the Best. Chapter. Ever. For context it's best if you start on the last page of the previous chapter.

It was pretty hilarious for me, since I got about halfway down and thought "Oh god, that's gonna be the end of the chapter, isn't it". And I wasn't disappointed. :P
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:19 pm

Yup. I sait to myself, after being readied for the fight by the last page "Well done you crazy bastard"
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Fred, please. I know this disappearing thing might be upsetting, but with all the information you have available you're entirely justified in not caring about Mary. I mean, she just whipped the thing that keeps you from seeping off of you.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 pm

After a long stretch of just keeping up with one or two regulars, I decided to fully dip back into comics again.

To my delight, not only is The Meek updating again, but there's Mare Internum now too, which is a trippy sci-fi comic by the same author. I didn't actually know they were by the same person, but the author has enough talent that their style is really easy to recognise. Even without the art tipping me off, I think I would have guessed from the way characters talk to each other and some of the recurring themes - madness and being driven past through it, is a big part of these stories. I think it's great in itself for a creator to be recognisable in that way.

I've also returned to Flipside which was one of my first narrative comics and it's a complete nostalgia trip for me. The one quality that'd I'd love to diagnose is that Flipside pages always seem so clickable, it's easy to tear through a hundred pages in a blink. I'm not sure if that's because of the art style, or the dialogue, or the composition, or maybe even just the technology. I could believe that for some reason Flipside pages just load faster than normal pages.

I'm taking a break from the business of recommendations for a bit, so I don't want to talk about quality either way, but if you do want to read Flipside it's best to start fromBook 0 I reckon, which is obscured in the archives a little. The art is a bit rough, but this was the original start to the story and is completely canonical, the author was just ashamed of the artwork and tried to write Book 1 so that the characters and concepts would be reintroduced (the double introduction means you get a really clear picture of what concepts it is that the author felt it necessary for you to know, which I think is quite interesting. Not just world building things, but bits of character philosophy and relationships).

I haven't read anything about the Mary Sue debate going on in pop-culture at the moment, other than that some sort of debate is taking place. It got me thinking about the idea myself though. Maytag in Flipside is often considered as too unflawed a character, and that thought has crossed my mind (and keyboard) too. There's a part where she willing lets a person eat her arm in a happy and unconcerned manner. Naturally, my instinct was to balk at such crazy imperfection.

But one of the other protagonists, Bernadette, is a super naturally gifted swordsman. It's accepted that there's pretty much no offence in existence that she can't counter. She, without powers, has fought talented fighters who've been magically souped up with crazy speed and strength, and she doesn't even let them scratch her. Not only do I instinctively not reject her, but she's badass, she's Batman.

It might not generalise for everyone, but I think a lot of people are a lot more tuned to feel inferior by someone with great moral ability (and to a lesser degree, mental ability) than great physical ability. For the most part, people don't really resent athletes. I don't know that I've met many people who held a grudge against Usain Bolt because he can run faster than them. It's just a fact of life that Phelps has a freakish body and not really relevant to who I am in any shape or form.

But it's really common to resent someone for a charitable or a hard-working nature. There's something insufferable about someone who aims to be more virtuous than they are, as Bono has capably demonstrated to the world. I think it attacks my guilt at feeling like I should be a better person, and it also threatens who I am. I'm never going to be able to wow the world with my singing voice, because my voice is ass, but part of my brain doesn't see why I couldn't be more open or accepting, and seeing people like that can challenge my satisfaction with being me. Of course it's not like that with everyone, I'm not enough of a dick to not love some people for being truly good people through and through, but there are definitely occasions when I've found my instincts wanting to resent someone just for being too moral.

But in the light of day, Maytag is awesome. There are plenty of people struggling to keep their head level in the real world, in a fantasy comic it's great to encounter someone so open and at peace with their feelings that they can invite someone to gnaw on their arm and I can appreciate (eventually), that that's a pretty cool thing to do.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:41 pm

Trix2000 wrote:I just noticed that if you follow the link at the end of the commentary ("screencap comic based on Harry Potter") it goes to a page of said comic... with similar commentary and another link! This goes on for something like 20 different variations (granted, only a page each), to the point where I wondered if it even had an end.

20? I can't believe they're still doing it. Favorite gag Mike(As Professor X):"I took Bald and Paraplegic to get enough points to buy the most awesome psychic powers ever."
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:53 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:

20? I can't believe they're still doing it. Favorite gag Mike(As Professor X):"I took Bald and Paraplegic to get enough points to buy the most awesome psychic powers ever."

More than 20, they do one every 50 pages. Oughtta be up to 26 now.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:03 am

Supahewok wrote:

We're eventually going to reach a universe where no fiction exists.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:27 am

Wide And Nerdy wrote:
Supahewok wrote:

We're eventually going to reach a universe where no fiction exists.

They dont stack however.I think in one of those universes they mention a thing that was non existent in one of the previous universes.

Anyway,the best way to hunt a new one is to go to the forums when comic divisible by 50 comes by,because someone will post the link to the new one,and usually a link to the old one as well(because they update that thing as well).
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:41 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
They dont stack however.I think in one of those universes they mention a thing that was non existent in one of the previous universes.

You're right. And the Futurama gag carries on into the Futurama strip comments where it shouldn't exist. But then again, there's a universe where Judy Garland didn't become famous till her role in the first Futurama movie meaning she had to outlive our Judy Garland by about 30 to 40 years. Though that's not impossible. She'd still be in her early 90's today.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Pffft, webcomics. I'm pretty sure I started reading Flipside over 10 years ago. I've just got myself up-to-date and they still haven't really finished the arc I was reading back then :P And that's MWF updates.

Imagine how long it will take Henchgirl to finish up
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am

Different writers are differently capable. Schlock mercenary for example has gone through dozens of arcs in it's decades long deployment. And so have other authors. But I would agree that is the main problem of webcomics apart from their schedule. Since they are not constrained by the size of physical books and publisher editors their plots can easily balloon out of control.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Schlock is probably one of the most impressive webcomics in terms of actually getting on with things, but that's still with the help of around 4,000 pages and one and a half decades. I don't think webcomics are paced poorly, it's just the economic practicalities mean you're normally effectively reading a book at the rate of half a page* every two and a half days. It'd take me 5 years to finish the book I'm reading now (Ancillary Justice again) at that pace, and lots webcomics are structured more like series' than a straight novel.

Schlock feels like maybe 7ish novels worth of story so far, and it took even them 15 years to get there, and 30+ years of a normal update schedule.

*It's fun thinking through comparisons of the narrative efficiency of webcomics and books. Phoenix Requiem and Freak Angels both feel most similar to novels in structure, and they both took 800ish pages, which fits pretty well at a page of book = half a page of webcomic. Unsounded just hit it's first big stopping point and that was at about 800ish pages too.

I reckon you'd be hard pressed to get better efficiency than that too (Schlock being an exception), webcomics can set a mood, or a setting or a key story moment quicker if the creator has talent, but any serious conversation or exposition is going to take pages and pages to do what a book could do in a few paragraphs.

Once you get to release it probably reverses direction again, you can probably consume the information from a webcomic more efficiently than you can from a book, but it just costs too much more time to create the webcomic in a first place. You'd need a team of people to produce a webcomic as quickly as you can write a book.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 pm

Actually Schlock mercenary is now on 16th book ;), but than yes it's Howard Tayler and he is like the definition of TheDeterminator comic book writer.

But I do get your point, although I was more comparing the webcomics with their printed cousins The Comics, but yes simply getting all that narrative out is going to be eating into page count hard.

But (again) I also think often the artist forget that they aren't doing printed comics but webcomics and they stick to the 4 panel style of the printed ones, when this style requires them to produce a lot of drawings surface wise. I think the reason for success of writers like Tayler and Willis (another good example of somebody that gets shit done) is that they have adopted a modified version of newspaper comics style that allows them to scale back on details and the art needed while increasing the output.

And then there are artist like Mina who crank out beautiful art at an INSANE pace so much that I'm afraid she is literally running herself into the ground.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:01 pm

Huh,I always thought of it as the weak spot.But this is quite a fitting term.Surprising how it never entered my mind,but it makes so much sense.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 am

Penny arcade does another "modern parenting" comic.For some reason,I like these very much,even though Im not a parent myself.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:42 am

Since Demian is not performing his duties vis a vis OOTS I'll have to sub for him.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html
Let me paraphrase this comic using deep lines spoken by Ryse and Vaughn from Tales from the Borderlands:
Bros, bros, bros, bros.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”