Favourite webcomics

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Favourite webcomics

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am

Did you know that webcomics can inspire real life?Well they can.

The comic.

Real life.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:27 pm

I should mention that I read the Skullkickers and I like it quite a lot. It migth have a problem if the action bogs down since it updates only three times per week. But apart from that art is excellent and so is writing. Most of the humor comes form the fact that here are these two dumbass mercenaries throwing a wrench into plans of everybody with their bumbling. The only problem if you want to start reading it is the fact that the first prologue/intro story is kind of boring. So power through it. It gets better once they get back to Mudwich and start first of their quests that make EVERYTHING worse.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:36 pm

The thing about Skullkickers is that its not actually a webcomic. Its a print comic published by Image Comics whose creator decided to upload old issues for free viewing a couple of years after its start. So the pacing can be uneven, as the first couple of issues were just self-contained adventures and short stories without any connections to an overall plot. When it started getting published regularly, a storyline was implemented.

The comic is actually finishing pretty soon, the creator Jim Zub announced the final issue a few days ago. I'm not sure exactly how far the webcomic lags behind the print. I'm guessing 2 years.

If anyone else wants to start reading it and is put off by the first set of short stories, the serial work begins with the storyline called "One Thousand Opas and a Dead Body." You can skip ahead to it in the archives without losing anything. There's also short story anthologies between major plot arcs, you can skip those if you want but I find them pretty humorous.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:35 am

I had a nagging feeling while watching the Yawhg SW episode that I'd seen that exact artstyle before, but couldn't remember where, and the artist's website didn't really help there. It wasn't until I was rearranging my bookshelf this weekend that I saw the front cover of Smut Peddler vol 1, which I backed on Kickstarter but never read, that I noticed, instantaneously.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:41 am

I am prowd to present:Rutskarn arcade.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:15 pm

I didn't know that Atomic Robo is now in a webcomic form with most of it's issues are now online and an ongoing story is getting published in webcomic form: http://www.atomic-robo.com/
FUn Fun Fun
Ardis Meade

Postby Ardis Meade » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:30 am

This seemed the best place to post this rather Cuftbertian comic.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=493#comic
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:26 pm

It's been a while since I looked at Widdershins, but it's still fantastic. They're making the sameness of the history more explicit now (Walter Raleigh is a plot point) and it seems like they're drawing together all the separate arcs that have been leading up to this one. The author is great at capturing accents too.

Darken was a good comic and all, very enjoyable, but Widdershins shows a lot more confidence in her writing skills.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:07 am

Yeah Widdershins is nice, and that hammiest ham of pride is now my favourite character ;)
Walter Raleigh?
Similary quirky with sort of less obvious magic, but also English 100% is Scary Go Around and many other related works of John Allison.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:30 am

Oops, I meant Francis Drake, both famous sailors with the favour of Queen Elizabeth I.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Ahh, now it makes sense. At first I thought you meant Lust was Rayleigh but comic denied that and wikipedia claimed lordship over Kent was a barony then and not Dukedom, so there was no Duke of Kent. So I was confrasled.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:45 pm

It's nice to see the success of Erworld's creator communicating with his audience. Normally this sort of thing goes horribly wrong, but he had to get rid of his main artist half way through Book 3 (and Erworld has always struggled to produce enough art) and so he openly explained the reasons why that had happened. And then he kept the fans updated on the progress of looking for a new artist, actually took some suggestions from his fans and then announced a kickstarter to cover the extra art funds that had begun to build up. The kickstarter is already a big success and halfway to covering the deficit.

There are so many steps this process could have gone wrong and normally do, on the sides of the fans and the creator, but here it didn't happen.

The pitchforks could have come out for having yet another artist leave his project, the creator could have shut up shop and refused to explain, the fans could have hated his reasons for it happening and start telling him that he doesn't know how to run his comic. The creator could sounded like he was just slagging off his artist and the audience might have misread that into his words anyway. He could have ignored the audience's suggestions, the audience's could have been terrible, he could have not told the audience how his search was going, the audience could have pitchforked him for his search going to fast or too slow. The creator could have tried to hide his finances and fudged the numbers, the audience could have been outraged that he was asking for more money.

And yet almost none of this happened. The fans and creator came together to help each other out in a very difficult period of the comics life and now it looks like Erfworld might get on track again much quicker than had expected and even in a much improved form.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:19 am

Huh, so we might actually get more normal Erfworld comics and not walls of text + a small ilustration. By now I mostly follow Ferfworld out of inertia. The idea is interesting enough but realization has left quite a lot to be desired.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Unless they got a lot of money, I don't think we're likely to see more art. Just less delays and a higher quality of art. With the previous artist they kept having to redo stuff because someones pupils were the wrong colour or the sleeves on their outfit changed (because the fanbase will pour over details like that and speculate to kingdom come, and the creator wants them to be able to do that).

I've come to like the text updates more than the comic ones, you get more information through the text and so the story can move a little faster. Erfworld is my one text-based story I read on the internet
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:02 pm

The plan is for updates to return to the new normal: Two comic pages a week, and either one or two text updates in between (I forget how many usually go up in a week.)

Its already been stated that if the Kickstarter goes over what is needed, then the artists are just going to be paid more for the same work. There's a big difference between paying the artists 20% more per update and paying them for a 3rd update per week; for instance, if $200 is paid per update to the artist team, and two updates a week means $400 per week for art, then paying 20% more per update (which is a pretty optimistic scenario) will mean a weekly cost of $480, while paying for an extra page without any raises would be a cost of $600 per week. Plus you have to factor in the time costs; whether the writer can keep up in time to give the artists what they need, whether the artists can produce 3 pages a week, etc. I doubt the logistics would work out; if they could then it'd be a stretch goal.

To the subject of the text updates, I greatly prefer the comic updates. The texts don't really make the story flow that much faster; what was communicated through facial expressions and nonverbal cues must be spelled out through inner dialogue and text descriptions, so I find that its pretty much a wash. And I like the art much more than the writer's prose. He doesn't do a bad job, but its nothing stellar, unlike the art from the first two artists. (I never really warmed up to the last one) I've stuck with it because its a pretty unique and cool story, but the whole of Book 3 has really felt rather meandering and unfocused.

the fans could have hated his reasons for it happening and start telling him that he doesn't know how to run his comic.

I don't know what happens on the Erfworld forums or whatever kind of community the comic has, but if you look in the comments under his announcement you'll find quite a few people being openly critical of Balder; I particularly remember someone giving a fairly long diatribe accusing him of being a bad product manager.

Most of the community took it in good grace, though. I think it just comes down to how much the audience is invested in the comic; as you said, minor art corrections have taken place just because the nitty-gritty details are meant to be used for audience speculation and analysis. That invites a certain amount of fan investment, which in turn becomes brand loyalty. Its rather the same for a lot of self-sufficient indie creators that never manage to hit it big but make enough to get by, such as Spiderweb Games: they offer a product that is rather niche in its appeal so its audience is limited to a certain point, but said audience is loyal because their options for getting a similar product are limited. I'm guessing there's a term for that in economics, although I haven't a clue what it would be.

It also helps that within a couple of days Balder said that Xin, the second artist, would head the new art team, and a lot of the community (plus me) think she was the best artist the comic's had yet, so that was good news.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:07 pm

@Supahewok I feel similary about Erfworld. I'm intrigued by the idea. The art was interesting mostly because it kept reinforcing the idea that we are in a world where minies are given life (their eyes have no pupils since you wouldn't draw pupils on minies, the detail is too small) but that is style. The skill I didn't particulary notice. Also as you say the previous two books had a clear end goal. First was the defense of Gobwin Knob, and the second was about the counterattack and the climactic battle in Spacerock?!? You knew where the end lied.
This one seemingly is gearing towards dealing with Charlie, or potentially him messing with decryption. But if he is going for the former that would be kind of a mistake since Charlie makes for such a good asshole oponent that everyone disslikes, so offing him now would not be in the best interests of the comic I feel.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Off topic, but I just want to point out that you pore over details (because pores are very small detail-detectors); you don't pour over them unless you've spilled your drink.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Oh good, one time it's not my bad writing/grammar/spelling that is an issue.
:D
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

I tend to like the hybrid, with regular comic pages interspersed with text updates (still with a picture or two). It gives some nice variety to how the content is presented, allowing for more to be shown than what just comic or just text can do.

If I have any problem with Erfworld, it's that I didn't delve into the side stories much (for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with time) and I can't help but wonder how much context I'm missing now. I mean, it still seems like I'm getting the whole story, but I can't help but wonder. Still kinda my fault for not reading through things.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:37 pm

None of them directly impact the story, and they're all set in time periods and locations so removed from today as to be none existent. It's a subject of speculation even as to where the Kingdoms we know were or if they existed during the time periods of the stories.

Its believed by people though that a lot of the mechanics learned in the side stories might come into play (although they're always reintroduced in the comic if it's actually important).

Lord Crush - Mentions some philosophies of King Banhammer, the ex-leader of FAQ, some prisoner mechanics and how to create a stable system of contracts and alliances so that war doesn't break out between a group of kingdoms.

Digdoug - Some stuff about Dirtamancy, some stuff about Carnymancy, although now nothing we don't know in the main story. It's also possible it's all a lie. Charlie is in this story, he basically doublecrosses a side with his contract to gain better position. The hero, Digdoug, survives but his story seems like it could continue. He wants revenge on Charlie and it's predicted that the dead Kings ring he owns will become a Rulers ring again in the future. Of all the stories this is probably the one that is the most important of all of them. It's also super long.

Duke Forcastle - A sailing story in a British empire type system. Lots of naval mechanics, and lots of mechanics on luck. There's a bird which can be tamed by people and it can store up luck through bad events and discharge it at it's owners command to cause misses/critical hits.

Dylan and Thomas - Unfinished. Rob was finding it really hard to write
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:24 am

Thomas wrote:None of them directly impact the story

Um,the one about oz and heroin does.It introduces who charlie is,and the princess,which ties in directly to the events at the start of second book.Skipping that one means you have an influx of new characters you know nothing about.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:43 am

That's an official book of the comic instead of a side story.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Widdershins is so darn cute right now!. I'm completely fine if the comic becomes nothing more than Henry and Isabelle flirting forever.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:03 pm

For some reason I read some of the old Star on Chest posts and remembered how I learned o Girl Genius web comic. Shamus name dropped Castle Wulfenbach in the firs post which intrigued me.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:32 pm

And this is exactly how absurd bioware romances would look like in real life.Thank god for vg cats.Which is not really like real life...because they are cats...and crazy...so just like real life cats...ummm....what was I talking about again?

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”