Favourite webcomics

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
4th Dimension

Favourite webcomics

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 pm

So wat about them webcomics? Since we have already a book thread (which is in process of being turned over to our dark lord RJ) I've decided it would be nice to have a webcomic thread since I'm sure many of you follow them. After all it's not like we have anything better to do, right?

So for myself which ones would I specially single out? Hmmm i difficult question, so I'll select two favourite and one wildcard.

I mean what to say, it's got it all, regular update schedule (every other day during workdays (Mo We Fr)), and gots it's steampunk MAD MAD science in vein of Frankestein (a Mad scientist living in his Castle of DOOM raining down lazers upon flintlock using troops).

As the title card says it's an SF comic (which is kind of a rare thing) in which science follows it's internal logic. So it straddles the line between Hard and soft SF. Basically most of the tech present could be something future us (1000 years future us) and various alien intelligence would be using, with exception of FTL travel, and even that has it's own well understood rules. So no ajusting diflector dish here. Also it's very funny, has interesting takes on many tropes, and is verry quotable. Example: The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries
It's a VERY regular comic since it's been updated EVERY SINGLE DAY for the last 12 years (first one was on 12 june of 2000!). Not even tranformators blowing up the server hosting the site can stop the author.

This is the wildcard. It's also an SF webcomic, but the science is on the weaker side and there are some significant plot holes. But it offsets it with and intriguing setting. Basically an UFO landed in Spain (in one of their more deserted areas), a man siezed it, revere engineerd it's tech (while not understanding how it excatly works) and by holding the monopoly on this tech he and his family were able to rise to the position of Emperor of Humanity. now it's 150+ years later and the original creators of the UFO want it and the tech back. What sets it apart from other works it that la Imperia has a really Spanish (at least to me who am not a Spanaiard) feeling to it and thus sidesteps the usual 'Future is anglophone'. Further more the humor and characters are really fun. The problem is that author has not been updating it regularly at oll for quite some time.

Looking at my bookmarsk I have loads more of these, but first let's hear it from you. Which ones do you like the most, or alternatively how much of a blight are webcomics on the mankind.
dudecon

Re: Favourite webcomics

Postby dudecon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 pm

I read GG, and SM regularly. Good stuff!
I'll add just one to the list, though I read quite a few:
Goblins, Life Through Their Eyes
It's a webcomic written and illustrated by a GM with 25 years of campaigns crushed beneath his iron shod boots. Plus he's a really nice guy. The result is an illustrated campaign where every character is PC, set in a lovely fantastical world.
Upsides: Extremely literal illustrations and combat scenes, great style, fantastic story, wonderful characterization.
Downsides: Nearly always updates late, occasional bouts of infantile humor.
Sidesides: Explicit violence, tackles difficult social subjects like sexual slavery and racism, author agenda shows.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

A lot.

There's also the standards that are just default loaded into my url history like PA, PVP, and such.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has an embarrassingly large stack of links to potentially dish out here.

So I'm going to start with an Unsounded
http://unsoundedcomic.com/

Because it's incredibly beautiful
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/ ... 01_16.html
I love the way the author breaks the panel boundaries in her big dramatic moments and the writing is seriously good, with every character being really well motivated. The backstory and overall plot is definitely the type that gets deeper the further it goes, so its got a slow start, but the humour makes up for it.

And then I wanted to name a completed webcomic, because waiting for updates is frustrating!
So either The Phoenix Requiem
http://requiem.seraph-inn.com/
A Victorian supernatural romance-mystery (because I'm always a sucker for Victorian romance)

Or Freak Angels
http://www.freakangels.com/?p=23
Which is a post-apocalyptic story with super powers that is equal in writing quality and general genre with the likes of The Kraken Wakes, Day of the Triffids and all that sort of thing.

Finally not one I follow as much, but I don't know if anyone else is watching Strip Search, but there#s this fairly reclusive, quiet artist (Katie) and I checked out her comic and it is absolutely nothing like you'd expect. There are Butt Monkeys and then there is this. I mean it's all funny but unbelievably harsh. Comedy strip about a barbarian warrioress whose mission in life is to eat every type of meat and her mutant owl slave whose mission in life is to suffer
http://dummcomics.com/2008/10/22/crappy-halloween-pt-1/
http://dummcomics.com/2008/10/29/crappy-halloween-pt-2/
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:20 am

Given the audience here, I'm going to second and expound on Narratorway's mention of Friendship is Dragons. It's basically DMotR, except done with the new My Little Pony series. Even if you hate Ponies on principle, you should at least give is a try - the humour's pretty good and it hits hard on a lot of the tabletop tropes.

Also, the writer knows you're going to go "Ponies? Seriously?!" and covers that first thing.

And if you can't stand reading it, maybe you'll want to watch this wonderful fan-read of the first 100 comics. (The reader is remarkably talented at voices, don't be off-put by the rough start.)
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am

I don't read many, but of the ones I occasionally check, Oglaf by Trudy Cooper and Doug Bayne is by far my favourite. No hard link since it's decidedly unsafe-for-work, but I love how it plays with traditional high fantasy tropes, and not in a cruel way. Someone should make a game setting out of it.
Syal

Postby Syal » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 am

Probably only read half a dozen or so regularly, but The Adventures of Dr. Mcninja is the one I check the most.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:38 am

Syal wrote:Probably only read half a dozen or so regularly, but The Adventures of Dr. Mcninja is the one I check the most.

Like many others in this thread I have many many webcomics that I regularly check, but this one is at the top of my folder for a reason.

Well, several reasons.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:20 am

The major one I've gotten into recently is Gunnerkrigg Court.

It has:
  • Interesting interplay between technology and magic
  • Believable, but not typical characters (it's nice to see a serious introvert who struggles with social interactions as the main character);
  • It has a good emotional spectrum and manages to have moments of humor while still being generally a "serious" comic
  • Interesting mystery without feeling forced. (No one has amnesia, for one)
The art style starts off a little strange but gets better quickly and is really great.
Akri

Postby Akri » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 am

krellen wrote:Given the audience here, I'm going to second and expound on Narratorway's mention of Friendship is Dragons. It's basically DMotR, except done with the new My Little Pony series. Even if you hate Ponies on principle, you should at least give is a try - the humour's pretty good and it hits hard on a lot of the tabletop tropes.

Welp, I know what I'm gonna be doing tomorrow.

And seriously, nobody's mentioned Order of the Stick? For shame, guys.

Another fun one is Punch an' Pie, a comic about two lesbians (well, a lesbian and a pansexual). And despite what the preceding sentence may lead you to believe, it's not a smut comic (though there are plenty of eye-candy scenes). It's more about the characters dealing with their various issues.

Prequel: Making a Cat Cry. It's a prequel to Oblivian starring the most incompetent Khajiit ever, with fans sending in suggestions for what should happen. Can get a tad annoying when it feels like the author is steadfastly refusing to ever let her have even the slightest bit of a step forward in her life, but it's entertaining none the less. And ASOTIL is possibly the greatest thing ever (my GW2 character was named after him, but I had to spell it backwards because it was taken).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 am

Irregular webcomic
Darths & Droids
Order of the stick

Those three are my regulars.I also occasionally check in on:
xkcd
Penny arcade
Goblins
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 am

I'm not gonna give you the full list. I'm gonna give you selected highlights.

Darths and Droids, because it's a good successor to DM of the Rings as a "movie screenshots made into a comic" thing, and it's doing good work at making the players come through.
Questionable Content, because it's kind of fun to look back and realise I was that much of a screwup in my early 20s too. Although with less interesting friends.
xkcd, because the ones I get are effing HILARIOUS, and the ones I don't get tend to be educational.
Something Positive, because I need something to keep my faith in humanity at its baseline level of "none whatsoever"
Girl Genius, because cheesecake AND a good story.
Schlock Mercenary, because SCIENCE! and heavily-armed poop piles. Also, the most regular update schedule EVER; Howard Tayler has not missed a single day. Not even when his server literally EXPLODED.
Order of the Stick, because it's jokes about D&D and genre-savviness.
Oglaf, because everyone gets offensive jokes directed at them.
Three Panel Soul, for various reasons.
Skin Horse, because somehow a comedy involving a transvestite psychiatrist, a genetically-engineered talking dog, a patchwork zombie supersoldier with the body of an 18-year-old girl (well, OK, SEVERAL 18-year-old girls) and the attention span of a particularly overcaffeinated goldfish, and a video-game addict trapped in the body of a black helicopter (don't ask) makes sense.
Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, because I enjoy how it highlights the ridiculousness of macho culture.

Every morning, Firefox warns me that opening sixty-some tabs might slow it down a bit. My computer being insanely overpowered, I ignore said warning and tell it to do so anyway.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:12 am

I sort of forgot about xkcd when replying to this thread. That comic has become such a normal part of my schedule that I don't even think of it as a webcomic any more. The past few weeks in particular have been phenomenal. I feel like "Time" should have been the April Fools day comic, not Externalities.
Nyctef

Postby Nyctef » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:35 am

Let's see what hasn't been mentioned yet

Awkward Zombie - Amusing jokes about vidyagames
Basic Instructions - Jokes presented as "How to do X" instructional thingies
Ctrl-Alt-Del - Has a bit of a bad reputation, but still manages to be funny occasionally whenever it isn't trying to do something hard like plot
Dresden Codak - sci-fi comic about transhumanism and philosophy and random stuff. A bit "deep" and confusing sometimes but worth a read
Galaga - From the guys who brought you Dinosaur Comics and Dr McNinja, it's ... well I'm not sure yet, it's just started. But it looks fun.
Gone with the Blastwave - Updated rarely but somehow still going. A beautiful-looking comic about "those two guys" in a post-apocalyptic war
Moonstuck - An amusing tumblr ask-blog-thingy with pretty pony princesses

also Darths&Droids, Dr McNinja, Dinosaur Comics, Friendship Is Dragons, Girl Genius, Guilded Age, Gunnerkrigg Court, Penny Arcade, Questionable Content, VGCats and xkcd which people have mentioned already
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:27 am

Leben ist kein Ponyhof/Life Ain't No Ponyfarm
Because the art is too cute to ignore.

Although I don't know if it's sad or amazing that practically all German comic writers also translate their comics into English. On the one hand it's incredible that they can do it so easily, on the other hand, the German version is often the one that comes second :(

Retsam wrote:I sort of forgot about xkcd when replying to this thread. That comic has become such a normal part of my schedule that I don't even think of it as a webcomic any more. The past few weeks in particular have been phenomenal. I feel like "Time" should have been the April Fools day comic, not Externalities.

I don't really get Time, I think I was missing something
Phase

Postby Phase » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:26 am

I think it's about time someone said MSPaint Adventures then gradually backed out of the room as all heads slowly turned to glare.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:35 am

Thomas wrote:I don't really get Time, I think I was missing something

The picture changed every half hour or so.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:47 am

Paradoxically, I've started reading so many webcomics that I can't keep track of which ones I'm following, so I can only remember a handful at any given time. Headliners are Order of the Stick, Dr. Mcninja, Darths and Droids, and Awkward Zombie, but I read about a dozen or more total, which I can never remember until I realize I haven't checked them in a while.

If I were to keep this window open for the next hour or so, about once every five minutes I'd think of a new one I follow and add it in, but for now I think I'll just plug Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Beeserker, and- oh wow, I haven't checked Buttersafe in like a week!
Nyctef

Postby Nyctef » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:58 am

The Rocketeer wrote:Paradoxically, I've started reading so many webcomics that I can't keep track of which ones I'm following, so I can only remember a handful at any given time. Headliners are Order of the Stick, Dr. Mcninja, Darths and Droids, and Awkward Zombie, but I read about a dozen or more total, which I can never remember until I realize I haven't checked them in a while.

If I were to keep this window open for the next hour or so, about once every five minutes I'd think of a new one I follow and add it in, but for now I think I'll just plug Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Beeserker, and- oh wow, I haven't checked Buttersafe in like a week!

Google Reader is/was awesome for keeping track of everything, but now it's going away in a few months :( It's probably worth looking into some other RSS reader, though. I've been trying out feedly and the iphone app is rather nice, but the website is a bit annoying to use compared to Reader
Akri

Postby Akri » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Nyctef wrote:Google Reader is/was awesome for keeping track of everything, but now it's going away in a few months :( It's probably worth looking into some other RSS reader, though. I've been trying out feedly and the iphone app is rather nice, but the website is a bit annoying to use compared to Reader

I tried feedly as well, but I'm not liking it very much (I use the website, not the mobile app). If anybody knows of a better one please share.
Dirigible

Postby Dirigible » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

So as far as webcomics I recommend unconditionally it pretty much starts and ends at Gunnerkrigg, which has already been mentioned. However, Erfworld is also excellent, and topical to this community. Parson Gotti is a D&D and strategy gaming nerd who gets summoned into a strategy game, and must then attempt to play his way out of an unwinnable situation. It started out being hosted by Giant in the Playground (Order of the Stick's website) before moving on to its own site.
Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Regarding replacing Google Reader: I'm also not a huge fan of how feedly looks. Currently I'm waiting for http://theoldreader.com/ to import my subscriptions, from what I see it looks pretty much exactly like that I want.
Matthias

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

On the topic of webcomics: I kind of read a lot of them... I keep up with most of the ones already mentioned in this thread, in total I'd estimate that on average I read about 30 pages of comics per day...

I won't dump the Comics folder of my RSS reader here (especially since it contains many dead entries), so here's a selection of ones I especially like, in no particular order (could be more or less alphabetical).

http://battlepug.com/
http://www.davidcsimon.com/crimsondark/ (finished)
http://www.qwantz.com/
http://guildedage.net/
http://hijinksensue.com/
http://ps238.nodwick.com/
http://www.smbc-comics.com/
http://nonadventures.com/
http://trenchescomic.com/
http://www.virtualshackles.com/
http://comic.nodwick.com/
Nyctef

Postby Nyctef » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm

Matthias wrote:Regarding replacing Google Reader: I'm also not a huge fan of how feedly looks. Currently I'm waiting for http://theoldreader.com/ to import my subscriptions, from what I see it looks pretty much exactly like that I want.

Hmm, theoldreader looks promising .. although there are 13000 people in the import queue ahead of me. Welp.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:35 pm

I forgot my link
http://sarahburrini.com/en/comic/my-first-webcomic/
-----------------------------------------------------
About Crimson Dark, how good is it exactly? I love completed webcomics (the pacing of weekly updates is what can stop me following something, I much prefer to chunk read) but I really cannot get on with CGI art.
----------------------------------------------------
As far as keeping track of all the comics I read, I'm not a fan of RSS feeders, but the 'my favourites' page on TopWebComics is pretty essential to my reading habits, it's always a bit of a downer when a comic doesn't have an account (even if they don't push it) just because of that.
---------------------------------------------------
New post, so I'm throwing in some more links (also seconding Erfworld, that rocks, I'm always on edge for updates)
Juathuur, the first story is already completed and the second is well under way. I remember first reading it and there was a point in the story where every single character was getting twists that made me feel sympathetic for them. Very much always based on the idea that everyone is a side of one and the fantasy is good, the person enjoys making up actual fake languages which is always a good sign and the magic system feels unique enough that it's almost not a magic system.

Also
Okay, so AFTER I finished this page I realized Ravvae has no business walking on water. I'm so used to using water as a perfectly viable walking surface in this comic that it didn't even occur to me

http://gatecrash.juathuur.com/

And Earthsong... another fantasy webcomic by a female author with a white haired purple themed female protagonist whose a newcomer to the world and doesn't readily accept either 'side' in the ongoing conflict. It's good though
http://earthsongsaga.com/

krellen wrote:
Thomas wrote:I don't really get Time, I think I was missing something

The picture changed every half hour or so.

I noticed that, but was it going anywhere for the changes? I only saw vaguely different sandcastles with the guy in different positions.

Maybe it's because I'm not a programmer and don't know that something like that is actually really difficult to do or something. Maybe it procedurally generates different images for ever more (it's hard to tell when it takes so long to change)

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”