I think Lets Plays are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Joshua490

I think Lets Plays are cool

Postby Joshua490 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Here is a place where you can recommend Let's Play's.
It looks like I'm going to be doing some menial office labor for a while and I would like something easy to listen to while I do so. I'm already familiar with some of the bigger names so if y'all could share some smaller/lesser known LP'ers that would be great.
CraigM

Re: I think Lets Plays are cool

Postby CraigM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Well it would probably help to set some baselines if you want recommendations, what I consider big might not hold true for you etc. ;)

Alright, since you are on the TwentySided forum, I'll make the small leap to figure you've watched most of the Spoiler Warnings. Still obvious answer is obvious, but needs to be said.

As for my main one I follow is the Scott Manley channel, namely his Kerbal Space Program series. It is deservedly one of the most popular LP's for KSP.

If you want a good source of a wide variety of games check out the Loading Ready Run crew, they have several series covering older games(Beej), strategy games (Cameron), card games, and so on. There is almost certainly one you'd find interest in.

Another I occasionally poke my head towards is Quill18, who usually puts up strategy games like Europa Universalis, Civilization, Banished, and so on. A decent mix of bigger games and small indies.

That's all for me though, personally I listen to more podcasts than LP's mainly due to the commute/ exercise factor. If you want some good podcasts I could load you up there.
Starkos127

Postby Starkos127 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm

My personal favorite is Jesse Cox. ZiggyD is an Australian who plays modern dungeon crawlers such as Path of Exile and Diablo III. I started watching VanguardOfValor when I was getting into FTL, he does a lot of indie games and FTL mods.
turcurudin

Postby turcurudin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:38 pm

I second CraigM's recommendation of Scott Manley.

Also, I became a big fan of Geop's LP of Assassin's Creed over here:http://lparchive.org/Assassins-Creed/, largely because of the fantastic amount of research he did for his bonus history episodes.

I also tune into some LP's by RunButton https://www.youtube.com/user/RunButton when they happen to be doing a game I'm interested in.
Naota

Postby Naota » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:06 am

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Game Grumps yet - they play quite the variety of games and if nothing else the Jon/Arin banter is a source of perpetual entertainment. Their suffering through Sonic 2006 so I don't have to is what inspired me to start doing this sort of thing myself.

Pokecapn and crew are such an eclectic mix of personalities that watching them play through games in one sitting always has its moments - be they of rage, insanity, or sheer awe of the dumbness transpiring on screen, though their LP's tend to run long for this same reason.

Of course, I also run Full House myself, and take suggestions for future seasons straight off these forums. We're the smallest of the small time, but maybe you'll like what you see?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 am

turcurudin wrote:I second CraigM's recommendation of Scott Manley.

Also, I became a big fan of Geop's LP of Assassin's Creed over here:http://lparchive.org/Assassins-Creed/, largely because of the fantastic amount of research he did for his bonus history episodes.

I third these guys. Also GeoP did a Dark Souls LP, where he went in blind but his cohosts were expirienced Dark Souls nuts. So we got the best of the both worlds. We got to see him flailing around making terible choices from time to time, as most new players do, but also his cohosts were there to drop hints to him and advice on how to progress. Also since they are much more familiar with the story and the levels they made sure they visited every little nook and crany.

Also can we recommend entire forums? paradox Interactive Forums are host to a lot of history nerds and as such their AARs can range from pure gameplay cheesing, through hilarious comedy and snarking at the game mechanics, to serious multivolume sagas of excellent quality about eras and peoples which are often skipped over.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:39 pm

If you're going to watch Pokecapn's LPs you should also check out Medibot's channel for his LPs. Including the Mario or Luigi Superstar Saga he did with Kaz, that has the always entertain debate on the economy and international relations of the Beanbean Kingdom.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:13 am

I'm generally a bigger fan of text-based LPs than video ones, particularly when a talented writer is at the helm. A well-written LP can give you a lot of insight into a game's story and setting, it can flesh out otherwise uninteresting characters, or it can put a whole new spin on a game you're already familiar with. So, lemme make some recommendations:

Scorchy's Knights of the Old Republic II LP did a ton to rehabilitate the game in my eyes. When I first read this, I'd only played the game once, on the Xbox, and was left confused and generally kind of annoyed at the obviously unfinished ending. Scorchy's LP explores some of the more abstract concepts in the game's theme (particularly everything involving Kreia) and runs through a lot of the cut content to show what Obsidian was really going for. If you only read one LP in your life, I'd make it this one.

Bobbin Threadbare's Temple of Elemental Evil LP doesn't exactly uncover hidden depth in the base game, but it's enjoyable and has a fun conceit that fans of DM of the Rings should appreciate: it's told as a tabletop D&D campaign, with different players running the characters and a GM determined to run the ToEE module as written. It's funny and all-around good times. (It's also the sequel to another of his LPs, of Realms of Arkania III, using the same group of "players.")

Also by Bobbin Threadbare: Let's Play Galactic Civilizations II. He played the Terran Alliance as a literal democracy, with issues and objectives voted on by posters at the SA forums, and it turned into a pretty great read. He did a similar thing with Tropico III, which is also worth checking out. (I've become a fan of his, what can I say?)

LizardWizard's Morrowind LP is a fun read. Lizard wasn't familiar with Morrowind outside of his experience playing it for a dozen or so hours back when it released, so he was coming into it fairly fresh. It's not going to revolutionize the way you think about Vivec and CHIM or anything, but it's entertaining.

Lastly, and the one I'm currently reading: Seorin's Let's Play Arcanum. I was a little put off at first by the amount of newly-created narrative and dense prose in the first few chapters, but as more of Samantha Colburn's story has come to light, I've gotten hooked. Seorin writes a complex, morally ambiguous and deeply sympathetic character who's grounded in the world; she has her own backstory, and ties to the kingdom/city of Caladon and it's darker secrets. It's also an interesting look at the game's mechanics, particularly at how they work from a technologist's point of view, and Samantha's scholarly streak means the LP explores some of the most obscure sidequests and narrative threads in the game. It's good stuff. Give it a shot.

That's all for now. There's a few more I could recommend, but any one of these will give you roughly a novel's worth of material to read, so I don't think you'll be needing further suggestions from me any time soon.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:31 am

An example of a multi novela sized historically plausible (sort of) AAR:

Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR
Do you like Byzantine Empire stuff? Well you will like this AAR. It covers the multi century rise and eventual fall of the in game Komnenid dynasty. The writer motly uses the gameplay as a guide, and as such makes the story more beleavable by hampering himself when it's narativly and historically more plausible. So no gamey tactics. Also the writing is stellar as are the characters. Intrigue aplenty and so on. Definitely a must read.
Eldiran

Postby Eldiran » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:03 pm

To throw another Bobbin Threadbare LP on the pile: his Quest for Glory 1-5 Let's Play was, well... glorious. Exceedingly long, but one of the best text LPs I know of.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:27 am

Kavonde, that KotOR2 LP was glorious.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:06 am

Right? It's fantastic. Glad to have been of service, my friend.
Santa_Jaws

Postby Santa_Jaws » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:21 pm

I think my favorite LP guy is the man they call Al Chestbreach.

Followed closely by a far different kind of LPer called Gopher.

Both guys are absolutely fantastic, but for far different reasons. Al is completely ridiculous and it's rare when I watch a video that doesn't make me laugh way, way too hard. His Sims series in particular is golden.

Gopher, on the other hand, a very far different experience. His voice is like liquid honey slowly poured unto a bowl of Ambrosia, and he often strives for complete realism and immersion in games. The first thing he'll do is choose options that don't let him see health bars or mission objectives or things of that sort, he doesn't let himself Fast Travel at all, and him getting from Point A to Point B can be an incredible journey. What's more, for him, character themes and things of that sort are very, very important.

Anyway, yeah.
newdarkcloud

Postby newdarkcloud » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:52 am

Browsing the Let's Play Archives again (because that's always good for a laugh), I found a few things of note.

A Crash Bandicoot 1-3 + CTR LP ( http://lparchive.org/Crash-Bandicoot-1-2-3/ ) and it's sequel, which covered the Wrath of Cortex ( http://lparchive.org/Crash-Bandicoot-Th ... -JordanKai)/ ) both done by JordanKai and Ikwaylx. They were actually really interesting and informative looks into the old Crash games.

I also found this cool LP of Medievil ( http://lparchive.org/MediEvil/ ) by LostGeneration which I plug both because it was good and because I really fucking loved Medievil.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:57 am

I'm currently nearing the end of Zoolooman's Civilization 4 Let's Play. I'd started reading it awhile back, but the first couple of posts were very dry and tutorial-heavy, which I thought would be indicative of the entire series.

It is very definitely not. Zoolooman does a flat-out remarkable job crafting a fictional history of his world, using snippets and anecdotes from the real world and twisting them to fit into his. The descriptions of the various Great Persons, inventions, and wars are fascinating and enthralling; it's a lot like the best parts of Max Brooks' World War Z. If this guy isn't making a living as a professional author, he really friggin' should be. Go, read, enjoy.
Starkos127

Postby Starkos127 » Tue May 13, 2014 1:13 pm

If you like Yahtzee Croshaw, and would like to hear him commentate in a slow, punctuated manner; then you can check out his Let's Drown Out series on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/yahtzee19
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 29, 2014 11:01 pm

Todays lord of gimmicks episode from TotalBiscuit is pretty amazing,even if you dont play heartstone(I still maintain that its a much more fun game to watch than to play).That second battle was pretty epic.
Ygor

Postby Ygor » Fri May 30, 2014 7:39 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Todays lord of gimmicks episode from TotalBiscuit is pretty amazing,even if you dont play heartstone(I still maintain that its a much more fun game to watch than to play).That second battle was pretty epic.

I am right there with you. I don't play Hearthstone that much these days, but I like his LPs of it. And I hate players who let you wait as that druid guy did.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm

TotalBiscuit tries some gimmicks against the new ai challenges.Some fun stuff.Though the lag kills the last match(lag in a single player game?Whod be stupid enough to implement tha...oh,blizzard,right).
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Tell me who at Blizzard could ever predict that on launch day a game's servers would be overloaded so that people couldn't get on and play and when they do play they're extremely hindered?

Who at Blizzard could have ever predicted that?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 pm

And another legendary gimmick deck against ai.This time,with a very interesting third boss fight.Also the challenges are much more fun this time.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:30 am

Not that anyone we know here's ever done an LP. *cries bitter tears* Well aside from the Disclosure Alert Gang, and JPH, and Jarenth, and Krellen, and probably a few more.

If you like screenshot LP's, The Dark Id has written probably my favorite bunch of LP's ever. Dark Id was known for LP'ing games at a breakneck schedule, often announcing the next game just as the last had ended, or doing more than one at a time. A real LP machine. Then he tried doing Final Fantasy X, and it became the Cursed Let's Play. He's tried at least a couple more since then, and has said he'd do Drakengard 3 eventually, but nothing has really come together since then. *cries bitter tears again*
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:46 pm

The third week of ai plays from TotalBiscuit is very interesting.The challenge is greater,and the fights are cooler.If I hadnt already tried heartstone,this would definitely be the match that draws me in.
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Santa_Jaws wrote:I think my favorite LP guy is the man they call Al Chestbreach.

Followed closely by a far different kind of LPer called Gopher.

Both guys are absolutely fantastic, but for far different reasons. Al is completely ridiculous and it's rare when I watch a video that doesn't make me laugh way, way too hard. His Sims series in particular is golden.

Gopher, on the other hand, a very far different experience. His voice is like liquid honey slowly poured unto a bowl of Ambrosia, and he often strives for complete realism and immersion in games. The first thing he'll do is choose options that don't let him see health bars or mission objectives or things of that sort, he doesn't let himself Fast Travel at all, and him getting from Point A to Point B can be an incredible journey. What's more, for him, character themes and things of that sort are very, very important.

Anyway, yeah.

Im watching Al Chestbreach now, he is hilarious... his utter contempt for his Sims makes me laugh everytime.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:07 pm

Well no use not linking to this weeks TotalBiscuit heartstone againts ai now that Ive made it into a thing.Anyway,some interesting mechanics here,makes these much more fun than the regular heartstone matches.Though ai can be pretty dumb at times.

Also,if you want to skip card shuffling and go right into the battles,go to this time.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”