Music not from games

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Music not from games

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 25, 2016 9:16 am

grahams_xwing wrote:Our local station's tag line for years was 'No Rap, less chat, your better music mix' and they played zero rap.

I get the "no rap songs" rule,but cutting out rap verses from a song?Thats just silly.Especially in this case.

grahams_xwing wrote:My Dad for example has a ridiculously large and varied CD & LP collection but simply can't abide Rap in any form - I've tried him on Ed Sheeran's faux rapping, Scroobious Pip's intelligent spoken-word-esque rap "Guns, Bitches and Bling were never part of the 4 elements, and ...never... will be", and many more, but nope, not interested.

People disliking rap is kind of weird.For example,I dislike most of the genre.Even Lupe Fiasco,who I think is a good artist.I like what he is saying,its just how he is saying it that does not resonate with me at all.And I have absolutely no idea why I like few rap songs while disliking the rest,because they are all so diverse.I like some joky rap songs,like Weird Al parodies,I like some Eminem song,and I like a couple of Hopsins songs.With other genres,I can usually point out to what feels right to me,which sounds I like,which I dislike.But with rap,its basically a dice roll for me.

grahams_xwing wrote:And then there was a D12 video where the actors were dressed in caricatures masks of previous presidents and some music channels blurred the faces out.

Hah.Now I wonder what they did with some prodigy songs back in the day.Specifically fire starter and smack my bitch up.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 am

Smack my bitch up might just be the best twist in a music video ever made, to the point that it shouldn't be censored in any way to force the viewer to consider their own prejudice when the get to the end of it. Brilliant song and equally brilliant video. Firestarter video was just Keith Flint jumping about in a sewer pipe... meh
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 am

While I'm not familiar with those tracks, applying those same standards would also see mainstream staples like Rapture and Land of Confusion put in the same undesirable basket, ha.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 25, 2016 1:05 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:Firestarter video was just Keith Flint jumping about in a sewer pipe... meh

Yes,thats what it looks like.Until you realize that he is dressed in an american flag.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
grahams_xwing wrote:Firestarter video was just Keith Flint jumping about in a sewer pipe... meh

Yes,thats what it looks like.Until you realize that he is dressed in an american flag.

True - well, in the UK the 'Bitch' was censored - not sure about the US - what rotation would a Top 30 Billboard video get on MTV in 1996 I wonder? Might be that it was just not picked up by American TV? Guesswork on my part there
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Thu May 26, 2016 6:28 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
I like some joky rap songs,like Weird Al parodies...

And what about Epic Rap Battles of History?
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 am

Or the Horrible Histories Celtic Boast Battle
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:26 am

lurkey wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

The old Gandalf vs. Dumbledore had a legit sick beat running through it.

Okay so Todd in the Shadows had a One Hit Wonder video come out for The Darkness about their...one hit. During which, he mentioned the first single they ever released. Get Your Hands Off My Woman Motherfucker I've played it at least twelve times in the past hour. This shit be totes in mah wheelhouse y'all!

Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:51 am

I'm currently going through every mainline Nine Inch Nails album, starting with Pretty Hate Machine. The Halos, if you will. I got up to The Fragile so far, and the only album I don't like much is Broken, since most of the songs don't stick out to me. The only ones that I do like from that is Wish and Last, everything else is just "whatever" to me.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 am

You've got to add This is a Trent Reznor Song to the ouvre as well. I believe it is unofficially an official NIN song ;)

Pretty Hate Machine was an awesome album.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:06 am

Narratorway wrote:
lurkey wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:

The old Gandalf vs. Dumbledore had a legit sick beat running through it.

Okay so Todd in the Shadows had a One Hit Wonder video come out for The Darkness about their...one hit. During which, he mentioned the first single they ever released. Get Your Hands Off My Woman Motherfucker I've played it at least twelve times in the past hour. This shit be totes in mah wheelhouse y'all!

The Darkness had six top ten hits in the UK alone....
Three singles off of their big album, two off of their second and a shot at the Christmas Number One that hit number 2 (beaten by the dreary Mad World cover - curse you cult film followers) with Christmas Time(Don't let the Bells End) - where Justin Hawkins is immensely proud of getting the phrase 'Bell(s)-end' and 'Ring-piece(Peace)' into a hit song without getting censored.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm

One Hit Wonderland tends to be US-centric in how it considers hits.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 pm

mwchase wrote:One Hit Wonderland tends to be US-centric in how it considers hits.

Well,he is from the usa,so its those charts he is using.And he does mention if the band had more hits in other places.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:11 pm

I found nightcore "mixes" of Nine Inch Nails songs, and am adamantly reminded of why nightcore is the worst.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:40 am

Because calling it Nightcore wasn't clue enough?
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:02 am

In hindsight, I should have known what I was getting into, as I've ranted and raved about nightcore before to my internet pals, but I couldn't help it. I have a knack for torturing myself, I suppose.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:22 am

Nightcore I don't know about, but Nightwish is an awesome band. Been listening to all of their albums on the drive up to my parents' place.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:17 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:Nightcore I don't know about, but Nightwish is an awesome band.

Im just a bit annoyed that they constantly try to replace their female vocal when theres no need for that.I mean,the last two singers are fine,they are good singers,but the sad fact is that Tarjas voice is almost irreplaceable.But theres also no need for that either,since in the songs after the breakup,their male vocals,where present,sound better than the female ones.I get why they dont want to have a man sing their songs since they always had a woman do it before,but I think it would be a better move.
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:18 pm

There are so many music genres these days. I don't understand how anyone can keep track, it feels like there's a new one every day. Which is great, of course, it's good that there's so much variety, but whenever someone asks me "What type of music do you like?", I have no idea how to answer that. I just go out there and listen to stuff, I couldn't even begin to guess how to describe or classify most of it.

Anyways, check out this awesome artist I discovered, spf50. Apparently they do "synth-noire", which I didn't even know is a thing, but if it is, then I must be a huge fan. It reminds me of some Hotline Miami tracks.

My personal favorites include ptsd, Take Me Out, encounter, Succubus and Bitchesblood, though there's a lot of other cool and varied stuff there.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what "vaporwave" is?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:31 pm

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what "vaporwave" is?

It's aesthetic. Don't you know what aesthetic is?
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Never touch the stuff.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:51 pm

bitterpark wrote:

Never touch the stuff.

Good. One of my best friends drank too much aesthetic in his second year of college. OD'd. To this day he is trapped in a never ending Escher print of Win95 psychedelic imagery, Roman busts, and a particularly nauseous shade of pink.

I asked him once if this was aesthetics.
He said it was "mild" aesthetics.

Don't ask anymore questions which you do not wish to know the answers to.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Every frame a painting does a nice cover about music in modern movies(especially in marvel movies).Like all of his videos,its definitely worth a watch:

The Marvel Symphonic Universe
Accompanying video

Ive noticed this phenomenon quite a while back,and I cant say Im a fan.And even though they fill in the void in marvel movies with banter and action,I definitely wouldve appreciated more memorable original scores.You know,something like this.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Neeee-ope. Not buying it.

For one, this isn't a new thing like he infers. Alien, the original 1979 film, was lauded for Jerry Goldsmith's music...[url]http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/alien.html]and a goodly portion of it is temp music.[/url] Also the 'real music isn't safe' nonsense will have me rolling eyeballs till judgement day. Jesus, he couldn't have his head farther up his own ass with that bullshit.

Take for instance his Iron Man example. He just presumes the lack of music didn't change the scene at all, when it very clearly removes almost all the tension. It's no longer Tony trying something potentially dangerous and using quips to take the edge off, it's Tony about to do some run-of-the-mill testing and being smug to himself about it for...some reason? Without the music, the scene doesn't even make sense!

The guy's clearly manipulating the evidence to meet his predetermined opinion rather than genuinely observing the issue to come to a conclusion.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm

So, I've been off of my Nine Inch Nails obsession for a while, and am currently drifting between various things. I've taken up listening to White Stripes (and by extent, Jack White's solo work) again, but I've mostly been listening to the bands I listened to as an edgy teenager for some really weird reason. It's a weird reflection to make, as I'm listening to a Three Days Grace song and thinking the lyrics are amusing instead of being "deep and meaningful" like I did when I was younger.

It's not that it's going back to something that I used to like and discovering that it sucks, it's just...different. Don't quite know how to feel about it, honestly.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”