Music not from games

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Retsam

Re: Music not from games

Postby Retsam » Fri May 29, 2015 2:47 pm

My favorite album for the last while has been i'mperfect by Ling Tosite Sigure. As you might guess from the name, it's a band I stumbled on through anime (specifically the Tokyo Ghoul opening; which I've been listening to fairly regularly for like half a year now) but I really like their sound in general.

... I have no idea what "genre" this would be. Wikipedia says something about "indie rock and math rock trio... The band's style resembles post-hardcore and progressive rock", which is a ton of jargon that has no meaning to me, being not a huge music person. But, hey, it sounds good.
JJR

Postby JJR » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

Personally I cover most genres but punk derivatives (pop-punk, hardcore/post-hardcore, 90s emo) stand out. My odd mix of favourite of artists goes The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, American Football, Dads, Gnarwolves, The Front Bottoms, Kendrick Lamar, Modern Baseball, Tigers Jaw, Basement, Slaves, Vampire Weekend, La Dispute, Schoolboy Q, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Electric Wizard and Buddy Holly.

For favourite though currently it's got to go to American Football who are this incredible 90s emo band from Illinois who formed, made one incredible album then disappeared for 15 years to then return for an international tour this year (which I managed to attend a few weeks back). The album's pretty much the defining album of the 90s emo genre with strong jazz influences. It's got the feel of a group of talented musicians jamming together and making incredibly complex but still somehow coherent tracks.

purf wrote:Electric Wizard

Yes! As someone who's much more in to his punk derivatives the only metal I can stomach is Doom/Stoner/Sludge. Those basey real slow riffs feel satisfying, best experienced while drunk with some metal friends and all the lights turned off. I've been trying to track down a vinyl copy of Dopethrone for ages but most of my local stores sell mostly funk records.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:20 am

I will listen and appreciate most everything, to the point that its easier to list out what I dislike than what I don't.

However, nearly all of the music on my MP3 player is rock n roll of some sort from the '60s to '90s. A few of my favorites are Boston (whom I can't believe nobody's mentioned yet, I consider their first album the closest thing to holiness we can perceive in this life), CCR, Queen, and Styx. I don't listen to a lot of metal, but I make an exception for Nightwish, who in my personal experience are entirely unique.

Really do wish that I had more musical knowledge to distinguish between subgenres and such. I keep telling myself that someday I'm gonna sit myself down and make myself learn, but... well, videogames and books and school and work and friends and D&D, eh?

I do have a secret weakness for cheesy J-pop, and got a friend of mine to give me some suggestions last weekend. I'm currently listening to 69neko, Valshe, and Nano. All of them are women singers who have a bit of a deep range for pop music. I have a low tolerance for singing that sounds like whining or, I dunno, really high pitched "uuuuuugggh". So I really dig these musicians, their voices are nice and full and possessing of a rich timbre.

Shame that every single one of the videos I've seen on Youtube for them have comment sections that are nothing but arguments about their gender.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:18 pm

So Ive been watching some musicals lately.Namely,the rocky horror picture show and it "sequel" shock treatment.I wasnt that delighted by the rocky horror.Yes,Tim Curry is extremely entertaining and funny,and the music is weird,but I prefer musicals where the music advances the plot,not stalls it.This is why my favorite musical to date is once more with feeling(also the reason why I put this here and not in the movie thread).
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:44 pm

A bit obsessed by Pink Floyd/Roger Waters 'The Wall' at the moment. Some of the musical themes in it are brilliant, although some of the more theatrical music moments only make sense when viewed with the film or stage show. A proper 'sleeve notes' kind of record. It's more haunting than Tommy (more musically complex as well).
Plus, as I think I've discussed before, I do love a good circular narrative and the whole thing ends with a spoken voice saying 'Isn't this where we came in...' *shivers*
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:.This is why my favorite musical to date is once more with feeling(also the reason why I put this here and not in the movie thread).

As musical episodes go, I always rated Once More With Feeling highly. Camp? Sure. Bad? Not really, musically it's actually ok. SMG isn't the strongest vocalist (and apparently really didn't want to do it)but the autotune just about rescues her, Xander and Anya's duet is a very good 40's musical pastiche, Spike's rock lament is pretty good. the real disappointment is Anthony Steward Head's ballad. As the one member of the cast with an actual recording history he got the weakest song by far. Even 'Bunnies' beats the moanathon he got.... (although his 'tell me' on 'Where Do We Go From Here' is nice blues ad-lib'ing)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:59 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:SMG isn't the strongest vocalist (and apparently really didn't want to do it)but the autotune just about rescues her

Her facial expressions rescue her even more.It helps(in a weird way)that this season deals with all sorts of self destructive behavior.

grahams_xwing wrote: the real disappointment is Anthony Steward Head's ballad. As the one member of the cast with an actual recording history he got the weakest song by far.

But at least he got one of the best jokes.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:23 am

grahams_xwing wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:.This is why my favorite musical to date is once more with feeling(also the reason why I put this here and not in the movie thread).

As musical episodes go, I always rated Once More With Feeling highly. Camp? Sure. Bad? Not really, musically it's actually ok. SMG isn't the strongest vocalist (and apparently really didn't want to do it)but the autotune just about rescues her, Xander and Anya's duet is a very good 40's musical pastiche, Spike's rock lament is pretty good. the real disappointment is Anthony Steward Head's ballad. As the one member of the cast with an actual recording history he got the weakest song by far. Even 'Bunnies' beats the moanathon he got.... (although his 'tell me' on 'Where Do We Go From Here' is nice blues ad-lib'ing)

Head's song has grown on me over the years (we've got the CD and listen to it in the car occasionally). My favourite though is the demon's (Hinton Battle) tap dance and song with Dawn.

What Whedon absolutely gets right is that the songs are what move the plot along. All of the big reveals in the episode (and there are several ongoing situations that have significant moments of change in the episode) happen in songs.

I've seen musicals that break this rule - where if you took the song out, nothing at all would change in the plot - and they are much, much weaker for it. As a species we've always used music to add emotional intensity; it just makes sense that you should use it precisely at the most important moments, rather than as trivial filler.

So yeah, Once More With Feeling is one of my favourite musicals mostly because Whedon understand that one point. And because the varying quality of singing isn't a problem, because it fits in with the plot: these are normal people singing as a result of a spell cast on them. Nothing requires them to do it well. As it happens, most of them are surprisingly good, considering they are actors not singers.

BTW I met Anthony Stuart Head in the queue at a crepe stall in Hampstead one time....
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:14 am

So in the past few weeks,Ive heard a bunch of drake.And I wonder:Why is this guy popular?His songs are stupid,his music is bad,and his voice is whiny.The only good thing he has going for him is that he is canadian.Is that enough these days to gain international fame?

On the plus side,this song has been on the radio a lot.And though it has a simple(simplistic even)message,the weirdness of how the guy is singing it makes it quite enjoyable.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:39 am

Never heard of him. Then again the only Canadian musician that immediately comes to mind is Celine Dion. I subsequently did a search for Canadian musicians and unsurprisingly I've underestimated them, having produced people like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, and also Justin Bieber (which I only understand now is what you were probably referencing). Seriously, I had no idea he was Canadian.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:14 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:On the plus side,this song has been on the radio a lot.And though it has a simple(simplistic even)message,the weirdness of how the guy is singing it makes it quite enjoyable.

I found 21 Pilots last month and they are a breath of fresh air in what is a predictable music industry at the moment. 'Stressed Out' is a good song with a cool little segue in it, they can do 'happy' piano pop as in 'Tear In My Heart', stream of consciousness hip hop turning into all out electronic rave in 'Car Radio', Reggae licks in 'Lane Boy' plus their cover of 'I can't help falling in love' is beautiful. (also recommend 'The Judge' & 'Holding On To You') Highly recommend their latest album (Blurryface). They care about the music, it's message and it's impact on the listener, all without quite turning into a bunch of pretentious idiots.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:55 am

Humanoid wrote:and also Justin Bieber (which I only understand now is what you were probably referencing).

Nope.Bieber at least got some (small) redeeming qualities now that his voice is that of a man.Drake,on the other hand,has none.Well ok,the tennis gif of him is mildly amusing.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:38 am

grahams_xwing wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:On the plus side,this song has been on the radio a lot.And though it has a simple(simplistic even)message,the weirdness of how the guy is singing it makes it quite enjoyable.

I found 21 Pilots last month and they are a breath of fresh air in what is a predictable music industry at the moment. 'Stressed Out' is a good song with a cool little segue in it, they can do 'happy' piano pop as in 'Tear In My Heart', stream of consciousness hip hop turning into all out electronic rave in 'Car Radio', Reggae licks in 'Lane Boy' plus their cover of 'I can't help falling in love' is beautiful. (also recommend 'The Judge' & 'Holding On To You') Highly recommend their latest album (Blurryface). They care about the music, it's message and it's impact on the listener, all without quite turning into a bunch of pretentious idiots.

While I can appreciate that 21 Pilots are making interesting music, and "Stressed Out", as a song is above average, it also irritates me beyond all reason.

Maybe its because I have a pet teenager of my own, but I have very little sympathy with 18-20 year olds complaining about how unfair it is that they don't have someone dealing with all the unpleasant responsibility in life any more and have to live with the consequences of their actions (or lack of actions).
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 am

I have a grudge against 21 Pilots because for YEARS whenever I tried to use the address bar to connect to Twenty Sided, it would autofill Twenty One Pilots, and I kept accidentally hitting Enter for it because I'm so used to being able to access my top frequented sites by autofill. Now I use bookmarks, but the very thought still aggravates me.

I also thought for the longest time that they were some sort of aviator's demonstration group, until I actually bothered reading the Wikipedia article.
krellen

Postby krellen » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Vulture wrote:I have very little sympathy with 18-20 year olds complaining about how unfair it is that they don't have someone dealing with all the unpleasant responsibility in life any more and have to live with the consequences of their actions (or lack of actions).

I don't think you actually understand the song.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:47 pm

krellen wrote:
Vulture wrote:I have very little sympathy with 18-20 year olds complaining about how unfair it is that they don't have someone dealing with all the unpleasant responsibility in life any more and have to live with the consequences of their actions (or lack of actions).

I don't think you actually understand the song.

Oh I know my reaction to the song doesn't have much to do worth what the song is about. But something in the choice of words or phrases, or something about it, hits the same triggers as my pet teen at his most useless and self pitying. That's all on me, not them. The song just reminds me of it
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:03 am

My favorite music/band/whatever usually fluctuates and I go through many phases because of it. Right now, I'm in my Green Day phase, whereas before I was into Nine Inch Nails when I wasn't listening to the Hotline Miami soundtrack.

I'm also usually into Vocaloid music, mostly stuff from Circus-P though. Totally not a weeaboo, you guys.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:29 am

Supahewok wrote:I have a grudge against 21 Pilots because for YEARS whenever I tried to use the address bar to connect to Twenty Sided, it would autofill Twenty One Pilots, and I kept accidentally hitting Enter for it because I'm so used to being able to access my top frequented sites by autofill. Now I use bookmarks, but the very thought still aggravates me.

I also thought for the longest time that they were some sort of aviator's demonstration group, until I actually bothered reading the Wikipedia article.

You can usually just highlight the undesired entry in the most-visited list and hit delete to get rid of it.
Ygor

Postby Ygor » Fri May 06, 2016 9:00 am

Currently listening to Theodor bastard. I found them randomly on youtube, while listening to Irfan (heartily recommend both bands).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 pm

4th Dimension wrote:She didn't sing about more recent event because they aren't as easy to spin into a clear political message of "Ukrainians good Russians bad.

But you dont have to make it political at all.Just make it about your experience of the war,destruction,and everything that comes with it.Again,there are plenty of anti war songs that were made during the wars that say absolutely nothing about either side involved,but rather just that war itself is a horrible thing.For example,Alice Cooper - pick up the bones.And that was made when the usa was in a pretty good place,strong economy,no wars,and pre 9/11.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 pm

You can do that, but that was never the intention. The intention was to give that speech consisting of those 3 lines in English about what horrors Ukrainians suffered from Russians for no reason, and that it happened to "all" Ukrainians. Pure political bullish. Which is why I was pissed in the first place.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 24, 2016 1:49 pm

So theres one more thing that twenty one pilots have inspired me to talk about.Although,this time indirectly.Why are radio edits so bafflingly stupid?

In this case,the radio edit for stressed out removes the intro.Why?Because he kind of raps?And the exclusion of rap removed from radio edits is a known thing that constantly baffles me.Im definitely not someone who enjoys rap(with a few exceptions),but this whole notion that no rapping is allowed except for specialized stations is weird.

But whats even more baffling is when a station decides to play a particularly filthy or disturbing song,yet bleeps out the lyrics.As is the case with eminems stan,where half the song doesnt exist.Whats the point of playing the song then?Thats the equivalent of "Hmm,yeah,I think kids should see this hentai,so lets cut out all sex and show it to them".
Last edited by Daemian Lucifer on Wed May 25, 2016 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed May 25, 2016 2:10 am

Daemian, I usually let your language quirks go because you're foreign, but this one matters: rap becomes "rapping". What you said is something else.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 25, 2016 3:50 am

krellen wrote:Daemian, I usually let your language quirks go because you're foreign, but this one matters: rap becomes "rapping". What you said is something else.

Whoops!This time it was a genuine typo.Thanks.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:So theres one more thing that twenty one pilots have inspired me to talk about.Although,this time indirectly.Why are radio edits so bafflingly stupid?

In this case,the radio edit for stressed out removes the intro.Why?Because he kind of raps?And the exclusion of rap removed from radio edits is a known thing that constantly baffles me.Im definitely not someone who enjoys rap(with a few exceptions),but this whole notion that no rapping is allowed except for specialized stations is weird.

But whats even more baffling is when a station decides to play a particularly filthy or disturbing song,yet bleeps out the lyrics.As is the case with eminems stan,where half the song doesnt exist.Whats the point of playing the song then?Thats the equivalent of "Hmm,yeah,I think kids should see this hentai,so lets cut out all sex and show it to them".

I know in the UK in the 90's commercial Radio pretty much declared war on Rap music in general. Our local station's tag line for years was 'No Rap, less chat, your better music mix' and they played zero rap. Made it totally awkward when Coolio (feat LV)'s Gangsters Paradise was number One for several months... They ended up playing the original RNB/Gospel track that he'd sampled instead.

There's a hangover from that, plus I think there is a vocal minority that seriously dislike rap, especially amongst the older daytime listeners (who effectively pay the bills by being the target audience for the ads)
My Dad for example has a ridiculously large and varied CD & LP collection but simply can't abide Rap in any form - I've tried him on Ed Sheeran's faux rapping, Scroobious Pip's intelligent spoken-word-esque rap "Guns, Bitches and Bling were never part of the 4 elements, and ...never... will be", and many more, but nope, not interested.

I think you are right though - if you feel you have to edit a song, just don't play it. My 2 favourite bits of American self censoring are Wheatus' Teenage Dirtbag.
"Her boyfriends a ****, he brings a *** to school. And he'd simply kick, my *** if he knew the truth"
You can't use the word gun in a song? or reference it in a school? Hmmm

And then there was a D12 video where the actors were dressed in caricatures masks of previous presidents and some music channels blurred the faces out.

Eminem was trolling with Stan though - he knew what he was doing.... You can imagine the meeting with the record company. "So Marshall, this new album doesn't really have a 'My name is' does it, what were your thoughts about a single."..."How about the 6 and half minute screaming rant about murdering my wife and drink driving off the side of a bridge"........
"It does have that nice Dido sample in it to be fair"

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”