Music not from games

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Kelerak

Re: Music not from games

Postby Kelerak » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:53 am

I'm currently listening through the main albums from Depeche Mode, liking that a lot. It's probably some bias on my side, considering I would always listen to Personal Jesus (and apparently Enjoy The Silence) since I was 4 or 5.

This is more so I can force myself to stop listening to Nine Inch Nails so much. It's bordering on outright obsession at this point.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:59 am

Just discovered Stary Olsa, who do covers of rock songs with early music instrumentation. Very impressively so. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZUii7K_QTU
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I've been exploring electronic music for a little bit. Basically my nostaligia for 8 bit music led to remixes which led to original electronic music.

I'm finding I like Trance (the genre, Trance electronic). Tiesto is good but I'd like something fuller bodied than that. As I'm typing this, I'm listening to Armin Van Buren which sounds pretty similar. Trance seems ideal for programming.

But I also like Savant, GameChops, Holder, A_Rival, Danny Baronowsky, etc. I really wish I'd had more of this in my teens when the cool thing was sounding like you'd just woken up after having eaten nothing but gravel last night.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:47 pm

I found out The Protomen did a cover album, which includes Queen's Princes of the Universe, a song I've never been a fan of until I heard their version of it.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:34 am

Saw the latest trailer for Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2. It features (a possibly remastered or rerecorded version of) Fleetwood Mac's The Chain.
First comment under the video? "Whats the song playing on this trailer please - I kinda like it"
I confess I turned into my father....
"YOU DON'T KNOW THE CHAIN??????"

Brought back amazing memories of playing it in my old band. While I consider it a 'Rock Classic', most people in the UK will know it for the Bass solo which is still used today as the Formula One music. But that's at least 3 minutes in, and the first half of the song is full of epic harmonies and driving drums before the bass solo links into the chorus/coda to the end of the song. It was only at that point would an audience go 'Ahhh! This song' When those drums come back in. oooohhhhh
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:46 am

So I was listening to the radio this morning,and the announcer said "And now something a bit older,the great hit from the talented Macklemore,its thrift shop".Then they proceed to play the radio edit of the song which contains zero rapping,just the chorus,which is sang by some other guy.Yes,they announced Macklemore,then played th song that contains zero Macklemore.Hilariously stupid.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:So I was listening to the radio this morning,and the announcer said "And now something a bit older,the great hit from the talented Macklemore,its thrift shop".Then they proceed to play the radio edit of the song which contains zero rapping,just the chorus,which is sang by some other guy.Yes,they announced Macklemore,then played th song that contains zero Macklemore.Hilariously stupid.

In the UK, Coolio Feat LV's Gangster's Paradise was a huge hit single - Number one for weeks. Unfortunately our local syndicated FM station ("GWR FM 97.2") had a tag line of 'No rap, less chat'. So they dug out the original track the chorus hook had been sampled from and played that instead - for a couple of months...
As an aside - A while back I saw a great clip of Coolio at a random Uni halls of residence in America - some random dude grabbed his acoustic guitar and 20 odd people sang the chorus while he did the rap with them. Fair play to the guy.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:36 am

The flash and supergirl had a musical crossover called duet.The music was decent and it had its great moments,the singing was ok,the dancing was nice.HOWEVER,the episode itself miffed me slightly,and reading the reviews for it outright pissed me off.Why?Because of one teency little line that was repeated numerous times through the episode:"Musicals are easy".Thats downright insulting.Yet people are praising it because some of these people were in glee and they can sing and dance.It doesnt matter that the songs are just shoved in there to fill in the gaps,it doesnt matter that without them the episode would be identical,it doesnt matter that the songs have nothing to do with the episode itself.No,musicals are easy,and any song works as long as the characters lampshade how absurd it is.Fuck.You.

Worse,people are comparing this to once more with feeling.Because that too was a musical episode.Who cares that it was LEAGUES above this.They sang there,they sing here,so they are practically of the same quality.And I wouldnt be this mad if this was a new thing.But this is the biggest problem with musicals* since forever.Just shoving in random songs in the gaps to pad out the time and resolve nothing gets you praise and good reviews as long as the singing is competent.I loathe it.That is the reason people say they dont like musicals.When they see people praising this schlock as something good,of course they will not like it.And when it gets compared to actual good musicals,of course they wont even try to watch the good ones.

*Not just with musicals.Both kids movies/shows and romantic comedies suffer from similar problems.Its just a musical/its for kids/its a silly romcom so who cares if its bad?
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 am

Ah so that's why you disliked it so much!

Soo... are you more mad about the fact that they were making fun of how easy musicals are or the fact that the episode lacked any cohesion whatsoever?

The first part felt like unabashed satire to me in the vein of breaking the 4th wall or bashing other movies/TV shows by making fun of their plots absurdity (you wouldn't know, but this is something they have been doing in Legends of Tomorrow for the past 3 or 4 weeks). Realistically speaking, anyone who knows anything about musical productions knows that they are one of the hardest things to put on properly. Gustin and Benoist would be amongst them as having experience in musical theatre (according to the all-knowing Wiki). I have to believe that they were poking fun by taking it to the complete opposite of what they know to be true.

Or perhaps it was a reference to something that was commonly said in Glee? I wouldn't know, I never watched it, but it would make sense with Gustin and Benoist being the only ones to utter the line (as best as I can remember) .

The 2nd part.... well... what did you really expect?

Was the music, singing and dancing good? Sure, it was fine. Not exceptionally good but not cringe-worthy bad either.

Was it good as far as an episode of Flash is concerned? Absolutely not. The plot was nonsensical, made zero sense whatsoever, and nothing in the entire episode tied together very well (except, maybe, the opening scene with young Barry and his mum and the final scene with Barry and Iris... maybe).

What is a good a musical? Heh, of course it wasn't. The songs told no story and, as you said, had no relevance to the plot. It was just a bunch of random songs thrown together like someone throwing together a mix tape of their favourite 90's hits.

The fact that a lot of reviewers are saying it was a great episode? Ehhh... it was a pleasant episode, it was nothing outstanding. But people gonna like what they like - uneducated people, even moreso. Personally I spent 2 hours playing Mass Effect Andromeda last night and despite everything that was said about the game before it was released, I loved it and I can't wait to go home and play some more of it!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:11 am

Andrew wrote:Soo... are you more mad about the fact that they were making fun of how easy musicals are or the fact that the episode lacked any cohesion whatsoever?

The combination of the two.The line itself would be fine if this were a good musical.When someone obviously spends a lot of effort into making something good,their fourth wall breaking of "this was a breeze" is a good line.But when someone does a poor job of lazily making something thats lazy,their fourth wall breaking of "this was a breeze" is insulting because of course it was a breeze for them,since they did a poor job.

Because you didnt watch buffy,Ill explain.The episode in question revolves around a demon that compels the whole town to randomly burst into songs.From a lady pleading to the cop to not give her a ticket,to the final confrontation between buffy and the demon.However,he songs in the episode serve a much deeper purpose.There are numerous plot points for the whole season that get resolved or escalated in this episode,and every one of those instances happens during a song.

Contrast this with duet,where the two things that get resolved(the two relationships)get resolved while no song is happening.The essential kisses happen during a firefight where no one is singing,and the proposal that happens in a song is just the continuation of the resolution,not something unique.

Thats the key difference between a good musical and a lazy one,and thats why the episode pissed me off so much.

Andrew wrote:But people gonna like what they like - uneducated people, even moreso.

Ive been saying this for a long time:Theres no shame in liking crap.Theres plenty of crap I like.However,its important to recognize that what you like is not good,especially if you are a reviewer.For example,in this very thread,I linked to a video showing how lazy the scores for marvel movies have been,despite me adoring those movies.I know why I like them,I know plenty of them arent that good,or are outright bad.And I sure as hell wont compare thor 2 to godfather 2 simply because they are both sequels.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 am

Yeah I'm just going to chime in and double what Daemian and Andrew said. It wasn't good. I really liked Once More With Feeling even though I do not like music. That was a great episode of TV. This eps of Flash was not. It even had a deus ex machina ending for fucks sake! It did not help that it was really obvious that some actors were lip-syncing to stuff they had recorded in a booth. It's fine that they do that but it was sooo poorly done. It was like a piece of the set falling over it was so obvious.

Andrew, I would recommend watching Once More With Feeling except that it is not a stand alone episode. It is the payoff and/or development of a bunch of conflicts and character arcs that had been the core of the season.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:35 am

Steve C wrote:Andrew, I would recommend watching Once More With Feeling except that it is not a stand alone episode. It is the payoff and/or development of a bunch of conflicts and character arcs that had been the core of the season.

On the other hand,watching buffy from start to finish would not be a bad move.Though it has a somewhat rough start(season 2 is meh),its a great show.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 am

Gregg Allman went to meet his brother today. Breaks my heart. But I live on, and I will be strong, 'cause it just ain't my cross to bear. I've got about eight or nine hours of Allman albums cued up, only a couple hours of which is Whipping Post, You Don't Love Me, or the Mountain Jam, and I'm gonna have a good ol' time celebrating the music of his life.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”