Music not from games

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Sudanna

Music not from games

Postby Sudanna » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:01 am

So, if a twelve-hour shift teaches you anything, it's how to really appreciate the music you're listening to. And if it teaches you two things, the second is that you need more music. So I'm here to talk about those two things! You can too, if you want.

I've got a little bit of every genre in my collection, but there are definitely some that stand out as especially good or tings I want a lot more of. So, I've got three favorites to start off with - favorite band, song, and just piece of music in general.

My favorite band is Gogol Bordello, which can only really be described as gypsy punk and tons of fun. Maybe it's just cuz their musical inspiration is in my blood, but I love the fast pace and variety of instruments, and the way their lyrics can be as wild, funny, or deep as is needed. Wonderlust King, the song I linked up there, is probably the most representative of the group's work, but there's a surprising amount of diversity in their work, so I can listen to Gogol all day without feeling too much like it's gotten samey. I love this band.

My favorite song is really dorky and lame, but I couldn't give less of a shit. Fire by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. is something that just makes me smile and sing along very time I hear it. That heavy keyboard, the shameless showmanship of the lyrics, how it slowly, constantly ramps ever upwards for the entire song, and my god the brass. I love it way more than I should, but maaaaan do I love it.

As or my favorite piece of music in general, it's an album. And, well. . .

it's so goooooooood

So those are my three favorites, but there's obviously a ton of other music I like too. I'll just list the names most people should recognize: Bob Dylan (who I'm actually named after. Not the Bob, the Dylan, obviously), Eurythmics, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, the Dropkick Murphys, Florence and the Machine, Adele, Foreigner, Gnarls Barkley, the Gorillaz(though I have no idea why they're such a big deal, they just seem like a lot of okay to me), The Beatles, Nina Simone, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Jonathan Coulton, Tupac, Cage The Elephant, Metallica, Mumford & Sons. . . That's a lot of the better-known big names in m library, the people I have a dozen or more songs from, but there are a ton of people I have just a couple from, too.

Anyways, special mentions that I think most people will not have heard of.

Kimya Dawson does some really, really awesome soft indie folk rock stuff. Formerly a part of the Moldy Peaches, who were also really neat, but her solo stuff is lovely in a way that nothing else I've come across is. Probably the song of hers I think of first is The Beer, which is absolutely heartrending if you know what the lyrics mean, and just sort of quietly beautiful if you don't. Underground is a close second. Walk Like Thunder is the kind of song that makes me want to cry every time I hear it. I listed those three really sad, autobiographical ones cuz they're what really emotionally resonate with me, but she's not a one-note sadsack. She's even done an album of children's songs with absolutely goofy stuff like The Library, which just makes me laugh from how unabashedly silly it is.

B. Dolan is leftist revolutionary activist hip-hop. And it is solid stuff, angry and down-to-earth and honest. Which Side Are You On is the first thing of his people always mention, for good reason. One Breath Left is the next. Tin Soldiers is another powerful one, about the false promises made to military volunteers. Joan of Arcadia is a personal favorite. Basically, if "leftist revolutionary activist hip-hop" sounds like anything you might like, check it out.

Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains is some of the most futilely angry, nihilistic, self-loathing punk I've come across, and man are all those things great for punk. The frontman, Johnny The Bunny, has had a long career through a lot of bands and band names, and if you like any of these, you should check out those too.

Speaking of rough punk, Cranford Nix is another good one.

The Decemberists are a folk rock band, but the folk comes more from the lyrics and subject matter than their sound, which is sort of prog rock, I guess? They do a lot of story-based concept albums that I don't get into, but their individual songs are great on their own anyways. The Mariner's Revenge Song is one of my favorites, as are The Wanting Comes in Waves and The Rake's Song.

The Dreadnoughts are an Irish punk from Canada. If you know about the Dropkick Murphys, it's like that. They do a lot of sea shanties and the like.

Katzenjammer is a Norwegian pop band. And I'm tired of writing about music now, so link link link. Sorry, Katzenjammer.

So yeah! That's my music. Tell me about yours. Especially if you have something you think I might like. Especially interested in more rap or punk.
CraigM

Re: Music not from games

Postby CraigM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:28 pm

So my avatar of choice here is a tip towards my preferred music. You're pick for favorite being a bit pretentious? I live in pretentious music land!

Ok so my avatar is the cover for the EP containing what is likely my favorite song by my favorite band. Dream Theater's A Change of Seasons. Now they are an AMAZING band, great musicianship, phenomenal talent, insane drum kit, and so on.

But seriously, you want into my musical heart great drumming and complex compositions are a minimum starting point.

So that's not pretentious enough for you, and they're really not all that pretentious, how about not just a concept album, but a concept band. Take the notion of a concept album, and link them together into a larger narrative where each album explores one part of a self contained sci-fi world. My friends if you want something so deliciously, apologetically, pretentiously geeky progressive metal may I present to you Ayreon.

Since I've put 2 of my all time favorites up (and albums that would be on my desert island list for sure) how about another concept album. This one is one that might be familiar to a few of you Queensryche, especially their albums Operation Mindcrime and Empire. Don't listen to anything Queensryche post 1993ish though, doesn't stack up.

One more, and this band is in contention for favorite ever, and gaining ground every album. I could list a dozen songs by them I absolutely love, bout I'll just put my two favorites.

As for more familiar names Iron Maiden, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd, Rush, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, and so on.

There are many more bands and albums I could share, I really really love music, but that's a good taste of some of what I listen to. If you want some of the more esoteric stuff thugh, I'm more than happy to share :D Just note most of it falls under some variant of progressive rock/ metal or jazz/ blues, often in combination.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:26 am

My taste in music tends to be the usual stuff you see in "best of <decade/all time> lists" in various publications (probably with a leaning for new wave). Mainly because that's how I discover music, I look up the critically acclaimed albums of past decades, then buy them blind without prior listening - it's also mostly how I buy movies. If I like it, I'll dig deeper into their discographies, until I have most of it.

I'm very definitely an album listener, and almost invariably will go through them front-to-back no matter the situation, no shuffling, mixtapes, or anything like that. Every single piece of it is on CD too, not just because I'm a traditionalist, but because it's cheaper to do it that way, importing from the UK or the US.

So yeah, critically adored stuff, if I were to name a few there'd be no surprises, among the best would be Bowie's Low, Patti Smith's Horses, Talking Heads' Remain in Light, the Stones' Exile on Main St, PJ Harvey's Let England Shake. Harvey in general is an outlier in terms of time period, I've got pretty much nothing else that would qualify as recent. Maybe it's partly snobbishness, but a lot of it is that there's a near-infinite amount of stuff to catch up on as-is, and unlike games, there's no advantage in keeping up with the times.

That said, I also have a weakness for 80s pop. Duran Duran, Hall and Oates, Wham!/George Michael, The B-52s - stuff that never fails to bring a smile to my face, and the stuff I listen to when feeling grumpy.

EDIT: Random anecdote - I was amused more than I should have been when I learned an Italian pro cyclist named his son Dylan. Not after the musician, or the poet, but after the Beverly Hills 90210 character.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

I often listen to death metal.

Joking aside,my tastes vary wildly.Rather than genres,I like songs from all over the place,from elvis presley to eminem.I appreciate both the serious and the funny.Though I do tend to gravitate somewhat towards the rock scene of ex yugoslavia(like these and these),and metal bands from all over the europe(like these and these).

But there is a genre of music popular in my country in the 90s that I absolutely never heard a single worthy song from.And fear not,Im not going to insult your ears by linking those abominations here.
krellen

Postby krellen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:I often listen to death metal.

While I'm not an expert on metal, I am somewhat fluent, and I'm pretty sure Judas Priest isn't death metal. They're old enough that they defy most modern distinctions (having been a huge influencer on the whole metal scene), but pretty much the defining feature of death is the growling vocals. Metal that sounds similar but doesn't have growls is probably either thrash or black.

Of course, pretty much all metal groups from the 70s are just "heavy metal", as almost all of them have been an influence on the whole scene.

Nalyd wrote:Katzenjammer is a Norwegian pop band.
They also have a band member who looks like Mumbles.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:31 pm

krellen wrote:While I'm not an expert on metal, I am somewhat fluent, and I'm pretty sure Judas Priest isn't death metal.

Yes that was my joke.And they did apologize for their blunder in the next episode.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

I wouldn't place them as hard to categorize, they've fit cleanly into the NWOBHM for years. (That's New Wave of British Heavy Metal, other notables: Iron Maiden, Diamond Head, Motorhead).

That said I do listen to, while not death metal per se but rather it's close cousin, Black Metal. Also love me some Mathcore.

Yeah I'm a metalhead, couldn't help myself.
bucaneer

Postby bucaneer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:31 pm

CraigM wrote:That said I do listen to, while not death metal per se but rather it's close cousin, Black Metal.

But Opeth is death metal. Or at least, death metal wrapped in many layers of progressive stylings. Deep growls -> death metal; blast beats and shrieking -> black metal.

Opeth is probably the only band I regularly listen to from the death side (unless maybe you could count The Fall of Every Season, but that seems like too much of a stretch). Black is also cool because of the general tendency for black metal bands that start to mellow out with time to produce some interesting more experimental music. For example, Ulver started out as black metal and their most recent album is some flavor of ambient with the backing of a full chamber orchestra; Alcest went for soft lyrical songs; hell, even Shining which tends to be described as "black metal" without any qualifications (like "progressive" or "post") throws in some ballads and a pretty straightforward rendition of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata into their albums.

As for pretentious concept albums, how can you not love Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient? Or a band that gets away with using human population growth statistics as lyrics. Or perhaps a band that decides that they're too good for individual songs and release an hour of music as a single track. Or The Ocean whose concept albums are just excellent without having anything especially peculiar about them. Doesn't even need to be metal, The Dear Hunter have so far spent three albums telling a single story.

Then there's King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. Also jazz.
CraigM

Postby CraigM » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 am

Ok Pain of Salvation is one of my favorite bands ever, top 5 certainly. I just had already put up few bands and, well, didn't want to overwhelm with oddities and obscurities.

And Devin Townsend? My second favorite Canadian musician after Neal Part. So awesomely twisted.

So short version is that I agree with almost every pick you put up there. If you want jazz fusion stuff I offer The Aristocrats, Cosmosquad, and Chad Smith's Bombastic Meatbats.

Also can't neglect some other favorites Symphony X,Myrath, and the masters of epic power metal Blind Guardian. I could continue almost indefinitely. Man I love music.

Time to pull out my Remedy Lane disk. Got an itch for that now thanks to your link.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 am

I'm all over the map when it comes to music. I like a lot of Classic Rock, a little Prog Rock, some Jazz, some Blues, Classical, Electronic.. Yeah. All over the map.

Growing up all I would listen to was videogame music. Soundtracks for Final Fantasy games, Megaman games, remixes, stuff like that. I gradually stated listening to a lot more things as I grew older. A few of my favourites? Pink Floyd, Rush, Dire Straits, Queen, Big Wreck, and Supertramp.
purf

Postby purf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Oh, a music thread! Here comes a random something.

I was quite the metalhead in my teenage years (too young for punk, too much in european boondocks for electronic music or rap while rickrolling happened in the radio):
Halloween, Blind Guardan, Running Wild, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. But, then stuff happened. Like Grunge. Or leaving school. Growing Up in general. New life, new music.
Now, in recent years I've felt the urge to reconnect with metal-me but I find it rather difficult. Why? Because pirates, knights, dragons, warriors, monsters, we're coming to town speakers explode, Conan.
Inept crap paitings like Satanic Demon Dude Smoking a Bong:
And I'm wondering why - as far as I can see - much of metal hasn't grown up as well. Am I missing some irony? Is this to be taken at face value? Clichéd wannabe Tolkiens with hard music? "In this land of sorcery, Vision through T.H.C."? Additionally, metal hosts some truly and genuinely fucked up and/or very unpleasant shit that I'm just not up for. Musically, there's a lot I like (right now, I'm listening to Satanic Demon Dude Smoking a Bong and it's great) but the goofy or creepy content ruins soo much of it. (Admittedly, matter of taste: I'm totally cool with, say, Mastodon. Space is alright)
Soo. Uh, what am I doing here? Ah, yes. Taking recommendations :) In the more or less metal playlist so far: Meshuggah, Electric Wizard, Alcest, Snailking, Deafheaven, Earth, Mastodon, Wolves in the Throne Room, Isis,...
Last edited by purf on Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dovius

Postby dovius » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:15 pm

purf wrote:Now, in recent years I've felt the urge to reconnect with metal-me but I find it rather difficult. Why? Because pirates, knights, dragons, warriors, monsters, we're coming to town speakers explode, Conan.

While I assume you meant the Manowar original with that last bit, I can't resist linking the Van Canto cover of it. Because there is never enough cheesy A Capella metal in a thread.

purf wrote:And I'm wondering why - as far as I can see - much of metal hasn't grown up as well. Am I missing some irony? Is this to be taken at face value? Clichéd wannabe Tolkiens with hard music? "In this land of sorcery, Vision through T.H.C."?

Metal has grown up to a certain extent, but part of it still does that for a rather simple reason; because it's just too fun to stop.

I mean, let's grab an example. Why the hell would a band dress up as pirates and write songs about being pirates, getting drunk off your ass, and tracking down Leviathan and beating him in Ship-to-Squid combat? Then going on a time-travelling bender to fight vikings before travelling to the future to protect the world against undead squid from outer space?

Because it's funny as hell and sounds surprisingly good.

There are plenty of serious metal acts, but most of the genre is permeated with a certain sense of cheesiness and theatricality because, as internet reviewer HappyViking theorized and I agree with; all metalheads are secretly massive nerds. There's some of them who write 40 minute epics about experiencing various mental illnesses, and more than enough who write about the usual topics of death and destruction; even some who write genuinely moving stuff about the horrors of war, but much of it retains that certain sense of immaturity if only because it refuses to take itself too seriously.

Also, sweet, Meshuggah. Represent. Although I resent the fact that you're calling them "More or less metal". They pretty much are.
purf

Postby purf » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:15 pm

Oh, re: Meshuggah, the "more or less" was a disclaimer about the whole list. I don't believe in genres, I don't care so I don't know but I DO know possible responses to calling Deafheaven Metal and I don't want any of this ;)
So, okay, Alestorm. "Alestorm". And 'Captain Morgan' is their most prominent piece of treasure :D This one's easy to decipher: fun, yes. And it even works, too. But from this end of the spectrum it's a seamless transition to bands whose members eat another member's brain matter found after shotgun suicide (see-> Mayhem. related: Burzum).. so in this "metal" business I just don't know how to digest any of it.
dovius

Postby dovius » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 pm

purf wrote:But from this end of the spectrum it's a seamless transition to bands whose members eat another member's brain matter found after shotgun suicide (see-> Mayhem. related: Burzum).. so in this "metal" business I just don't know how to digest any of it.

Context for other people, Mayhem's singer shot himself, and their guitar player found him afterwards, took a picture of the scene, and then did some other debatably true things (Took pieces of his skull to make necklaces from that he sent to other members of the black metal scene of the time, cooked soup from his brains which the band then ate, that kind of stuff) before actually alerting the authorities.

Said guitar player was later stabbed to death by the bass player (Varg Vikerness, founder and sole member of Burzum) after some unrelated tension, for which he went to jail. He has also been implicated in various church burnings and was recently convicted in France (Where he lives these days after getting out of Norwegian prison) for hate speech. He makes some good music, though.

To reiterate that: Varg Vikerness is an awful human being; the quality of his music is unrelated to that.

I will properly try to go into the actually relevant part of your comment when I've actually had some sleep, purf, but I think that linking 7 Alestorm songs at once is, in hindsight, the sign that the sleep deprivation might be getting strong in this one.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:42 am

To partly Necro the original thrust of the thread....
As with many of the above posters I'm a fan of a mix of genre. Indie kid growing up (90's UK music scene was dominated by Indie guitar bands so was inevitable), but interest in Prog, Blues, a little country, some HipHop, stadium rock, punk. I crave musicality and storytelling over anything else - if a track doesn't reflect the lyrical content (where it has any) then it doesn't get me (personal pet hate is people covering great songs and reimagining them to a completely different emotional tone - for example, someone has covered Queen's 'Don't Stop Me Now' , has halved the tempo and taken 90% of the instrumental parts out of it... hmmm)

As such - my current ear worms are Imogen Heap's 'Hide and Seek', A Great Big World's 'Say Something', and Passengers' 'Scare away the dark'. Then as a screwball - Tavener's 'Song for Athene'.

Favourite Album - Radiohead's OK Computer, closely followed by David Ford's I Sincerely Apologise For All I Have Done
Favourite Track - Changes from mood to mood but includes - Pink Floyd's High Hopes, Radiohead's Pyramid Song or Joseph Ruarri's 'Tales of Grime And Grit'

Guilty pleasures - You Me At Six or Simply Red

Special mention for Dire Straits - especially the last 30 seconds of Romeo & Juliet.
purf

Postby purf » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 pm

purf wrote:Meshuggah, Electric Wizard, Alcest, Snailking, Deafheaven, Earth, Mastodon, Wolves in the Throne Room, Isis,...

So, there's metal ↑. Which I guess I like with a lot of Post- prefix. The rest of my music?

All over the place with a slight focus on instumental music. On my headphones right now: Perturbator (Thanks to guy from Shamus' blog for that link) and Power Glove (Far Cry / Blood Dragon OST). I have a pretty bad craving for this kind of 80ies stuff these days. "Pop", as well, Alphaville, Tears for Fears, old Depeche Mode, Flock of Seagulls. In other words, GTA's Wave 103 :)

There's elektronika of the Autechre AphexTwin Squarepusher Gridlock variety. This plays several times a day. I call that beautiful (if you just follow a single link here, let it be this one). Minimal Techno à la Plastikman, Extrawelt

Post-Rock-ish stuff like Holy Fuck, Explosions in the Sky

According to everynoise, 'Chamber Pop' is big for me. Lewis & Clarke, Bon Iver, The National, Emily Jane White or Sparklehorse - Revenge, Message to Bears

The Walking Dead does a nice job of selecting music: Fink (funny: 'Fink? Fink? wait a second! Oh! I listened to this guy back in the 90ies when he was doing cuts 'n beats on Ninja Tune), Jamie N. Commons - Lead me Home

Piano music in a loose sense: Hauschka, Ólafur Arnalds, Niels Frahm

I could go on for quite a while, hm. Dire Straits, Radiohead (Yup, Pyramid Song!), Skip James, Mouse on the Keys, Brad Mehldau, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, Gillian Welch, SOHN, James Blake have to fit somewhere, too.
... Basically, there are 4 genres I don't like or even hate:
• music made for drunks to scream PAAARTY to.
• music made for people who always clap on 1 and 3
• music which sounds like it wants to be sung by actors on a Musical stage (sorry, Queen fans)
• music that is so "soundtrack-y" that I'm missing images to make sense of the mood being all over the place.
• reggae

/hipster

Nalyd wrote: if you have something you think I might like. Especially interested in more rap

P.O.S. / Doomtree? And, really, in case you don't know P.O.S., check him out (re: punk)
Ygor

Postby Ygor » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:11 pm

CraigM wrote:Ok Pain of Salvation is one of my favorite bands ever, top 5 certainly.

Are you my long lost brother? You're the first person that knows about PoS that I know of :)

Currently I'm listening to a mix of old pre war Music, some modern artists (Jamie N Commons, Silent Comedy, Sive, Woodkid), and a lot of folk bands, like Omnia or Beltaine.

And I fell in love with this song from my country's artist, Simona Martausová.
Here, have a taste.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Wow,a rap* song that hits all the usual themes(bitch,hoe,money,stripping,fancy cars),yet is surprisingly progressive.Congrats Usher.Though I have no idea what that guest verse is doing in there,its incredibly out of place.

*Or whatever subgenre,I dont care.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm

I can get behind that song :) That guest verse really is a car crash though, nm lyrically, it sounds like it was written for a different song in a different (sub)genre.

I'm very into Marina and the Diamonds atm. (She's a solo artist, apparently the diamonds are her fanbase?)
Oh No! <- Family Jewels
Fear & Loathing <- Electra Heart
Happy <- Froot
She's only made three albums, but she's already lived the pop-arc (including alter ego). Small indie album that's a surprise hit and gets her some recognition, then the sell-out colab with proper producers, playing on the Katy Perry tour and getting to #1 in the UK with the second (admittedly all as an alter ego parodying pop stars) and finally returning to her indie side with the third.

The sad thing though is, even though her voice is pretty unique, she's half-welsh and half-greek but sings in a normal british accent :(

I actually listened to all the bands listed as welsh on wikipedia (how sad is it that that's not even very hard to do :p) and basically no-one sings in a welsh accent. There were more people singing in Welsh than singing in English with a welsh accent. Pretty much one of the only bands were Cuba Cuba and that was very confusing because Spotify kept mixing them up with an 80's Latino band
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu May 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Thomas wrote:I actually listened to all the bands listed as welsh on wikipedia (how sad is it that that's not even very hard to do :p) and basically no-one sings in a welsh accent.

Catatonia ( / Cerys Matthews)? Or does that count as more of a "cigarette ash accent"?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Maybe I haven't listened to the right Catatonia songs, but even on the more country ones I wouldn't say she's really doing a welsh accent. Even when she's singing in Welsh it doesn't sound that strong to me :p

Now Goldie Lookin Chain of Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do fame... They're a group not afraid of their accents :P

They've actually done two parody songs of the two places immediately after my home town by train
Prince of Cwmbran
Newport State of Mind

That's not the best Newport/New York parody though. The best one has a chorus of
Newport!
Someones gonna shank you, in Newport, Newport

But I can't find the original video anymore
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Thu May 28, 2015 2:58 pm

Thomas wrote:Maybe I haven't listened to the right Catatonia songs, but even on the more country ones I wouldn't say she's really doing a welsh accent.

Dunno how strong you want the accent to be, but in e.g. "Dead from the waist down" (picking a song from the top of my head) I don't think anyone is going to mistake it for an English accent. But it does vary from song to song.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 28, 2015 3:08 pm

I don't think that's a welsh accent though, it's just a singing style.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu May 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Thomas wrote:Now Goldie Lookin Chain of Guns Don't Kill People, Rappers Do fame... They're a group not afraid of their accents :P

"I's is goings to's the shops to's buys tens fags" still makes me crease and he's pretending to be a robot at the time...

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”