Doctor Who?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Ringwraith

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:55 am

Though I barely think he even knows how it happened.
That, and it was highly likely a set up anyway. Knowing the amount of manipulation that went into this.

Also, the last time he faked a death, it took him two hundred years to get around to it. Also pulling a lot of favours.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 pm

The master of science fiction and the romulan senate have spoken,so its official now:To kill a moon is as bad as love and monsters.
Scerro

Postby Scerro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:20 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:The master of science fiction and the romulan senate have spoken,so its official now:To kill a moon is as bad as love and monsters.

Ouch, that bad?

I guess I'm not missing much since I stopped watching near the end of... River's reveal. It was so poorly done, I'm not sad I dropped the show.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:24 am

Honestly, Capaldi's still very fun to watch, even when the episode's a bit ropey. (Seriously going to have see how much The Musketeers will deal with his absence...)
Also Clara actually being a character now helps.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:30 pm

I like these dream episodes,because they make no sense for a reason.Though donna had the best one by far(and then she forgot*).

But I didnt like the fake ending.Its just came of as hackneyed and vain.The one ending before did feel much better,and a nice send off.

*You know,when I think about it,their adherence to not killing a companion any more makes donnas faith a far worse one than any other.At least those couple that died,died remembering everything.For donna,its like a few of her years simply vanished,erased from existence.And unlike rory,they didnt even get a chance to come back.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, sort of because they weren't 'ending' anything I guess.

Though this was a good Christmas episode, which is not usually what happens.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Though this was a good Christmas episode, which is not usually what happens.

Oh I dont know,Id say they are about 50-50.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:37 pm

I found it difficult to keep my attention on it, which is a shame because it looked fairly decent
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Thomas wrote:I found it difficult to keep my attention on it, which is a shame because it looked fairly decent

See,that unfocused pace is why I liked it,it runs the way a dream would.You are here,doing this thing,and suddenly you are over there doing another thing,never questioning why these two unconnected things are happening back to back.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:19 am

You can draw lines from the inspiration board from Inception all day if you really wanted, but yeah, I love that observation about dreams, that there's never a beginning, and rarely an end, and then purposefully using that.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:33 pm

For me the episode was "fine" because it never really gripped me. It simply felt flat somewhat. I did like the mindscrew of never knowing if you are in a dream or not.

But also it did break my suspension of disbelief in some places. The fact that even though the crabs have started feasting on their minds noone seems to be suffering any brain damage is wierd. Also that dream crabs would even crumble to ash in the same way as they do in the real world is wierd. And the tangerene at the end, and did the crabs only attack these 6 people? These 6 people in different places. Also what about the crab that ate the male? Did Santa Claus cause this as a "present"?
Since I "knew" this wa supposed to be Coleman's last episode I was certain she wasn't coming back alive, so I was surprised by the end.
Lachlan the Mad
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Mad » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:49 am

My guess for Coleman staying on is that she was really, really pissed off at the writers. Let's face it, the ending of the last season left Clara and the Doctor on a terrible note -- they'd both lied through their teeth at each other to make each other happy ("Oh yeah, Danny's alive" "Oh cool, I found Gallifrey" <noses grow, pants ignite>).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:06 am

Yes,we still have this thread,even though the new season has not started yet.

Scerro wrote:First season, he was becoming "human" again, second season he was falling in love. Third season he was dealing with the breakup, fourth he was moving on and getting headstrong.

Ugh.I love the guy for reviving the series,but the doctor should never be human,especially never falling in love.It didnt work in the movie,it didnt work in the show,so Im glad its dropped.For good I hope.

Scerro wrote:Then they crammed them into half-seasons... and bleh.

Yeah,they should really go back to the old method.There used to be arks in the beginning,but they were less formulaic,less rigid.One ark could take just 2 episodes,while another would be a 12 parter.All depending on what the story demanded.True,it didnt always work,but mostly it didnt work when they were forced to stretch a 2 parter over 4 episodes.Which is exactly one of the biggest problems of new who.

Scerro wrote:On top of that, River Song was handled horribly. She went from being a very mysterious character to not having a single secret.

Plus those reveals were....often lame.And nonsensical.I like her,but she shouldve been used sporadically,appearing here and there to help/hamper,but never having anything actually be about her.

Scerro wrote:On top of that, the angels have been normalized as baddies and are no longer scary.

Just like the daleks in the old show.But,just how daleks go through ups and downs,from comic to actually terrifying(daleks in manhattan vs dalek is the best example of this),so do the cybermen,and so will the angels.Its how creatures go in this show.

Scerro wrote:So yeah... Off topic rant.

And it is on topic now.Youre welcome.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Series 9 Prologue up!

I was going to not care about this season, but I actually liked the prologue. Is this going to be a Master centric season?
"He and I have known each other a long time"
"You've been enemies for all of it"

Or is this the leader of the Time Lords? Since it's 'he' not 'she'.

Also I liked the line
"You are embarking on an enterprise that will lead to your destruction"
"You could say that about being born"

Also
"Look after the universe for me, I've put a lot of work into it"

And now I've basically quoted the entire teaser for you
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Thomas wrote:I was going to not care about this season

I like Capaldi,so I am looking forward to the next season.

Thomas wrote:, but I actually liked the prologue. Is this going to be a Master centric season?
"He and I have known each other a long time"
"You've been enemies for all of it"

Or is this the leader of the Time Lords? Since it's 'he' not 'she'.

Doesnt matter,master was a he for a long time.However,doctor has had many long term enemies.Daleks,for example.And it wouldnt be the first time for a single dalek to gain self,or to ask doctor for something.

Or maybe the great intelligence is back?

But the leader of the timelords doesnt fit.For one,the fact that doctor was the leader of them at one point.For two,they werent always enemies.

Thomas wrote:Also I liked the line
"You are embarking on an enterprise that will lead to your destruction"
"You could say that about being born"

Heh,that one was nice.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Thomas wrote:I was going to not care about this season

I like Capaldi,so I am looking forward to the next season.

This is basically the reason why I'm still watching.
Also they finally made Clara a character instead of a walking plot device. Took them far too long for that.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:08 pm

The ending of the last season was so meh that I actually had to look up and make sure I wasn't in error when I thought Master died in that episode. So if it's him, and he fits most of them all, how do they plan on bringing him back?!?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:16 pm

4th Dimension wrote:The ending of the last season was so meh that I actually had to look up and make sure I wasn't in error when I thought Master died in that episode. So if it's him, and he fits most of them all, how do they plan on bringing him back?!?

Oh you new whovians are so precious.Back in the old day master would just pop up with no explanation,no matter how many times he died(and he died a lot).Actually,Simm is the only master that comes back to life with an explanation of how he did it,and it was only for his second come back from the dead.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 pm

That episode was so forgettable I forgot the Master died at all :p When you said last episode I even had to try and remember which one it was and I even settled on one of the specials first. Oh dear. I don't even remember particularly hating that episode.

Even if Moffat wanted to kill the Master off permanently, I bet there are plenty of writers who would want access to the character and who would bring them back eventually. That does mean it makes more sense for him to say "He" though. Did it happen in a way that made it sound like the Doctor might go looking for a way to save the master?
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:16 am

Bringing The Master back will be exceptionally easy next time. That ray that killed him? It was the Master's device. He killed a bunch of people with it and the ray was always a certain color. It was a different color ray when it "killed" The Master. I'm guessing it was a teleport.

However the method that was used to bring back The Master for Capaldi was never explained to my satisfaction.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:25 am

One ofd the joys of a) being a time traveller and b) your opponent being a time traveller, is that being dead is no obstacle to having a meeting with them in their past and your future, relative to the point at which they died.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:24 am

Considering the scene I doubit that the guy that shot the Master would have shot him with a nonviolent option.

I think they brought him back because he didn't die last time but was thrown back into the Time Lock with the leader of the Time Lords and since Doctor didn't destroy the Gallifrey neither was Master destroyed. And since this is the Master I doubit it took him long to figure our a way to escape.

But this time we saw him die. And if you want to bring him back at least wait a season, this way you pretty much invalidate his death in the last season.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:29 am

Holy shit!That opening was amazing!

Nice to see that speech from 4 come back to bite him.

And he also messes around with his own timeline.Thats a big no-no.

A strong start for the season.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:31 pm

Was certainly different.
Might be going for a more integrated theme this series.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:59 pm

WTF?!?
Also if those bracelets haven't ported them somewhere I'm going to be surprized.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”