Doctor Who?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Jace911

Doctor Who?

Postby Jace911 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

The mystery of Clara Oswin Oswald continues to unfold. Who else caught the midseries premiere Saturday night?

Also, anti-grav motorbike is best motorbike.
Jadedwolf

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby Jadedwolf » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:44 pm

The wifi man, the wifi, is out to get us all man. :P
Tetracyclic

Postby Tetracyclic » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Doctor What? Hm? Who you say? What?
Lame Duck

Postby Lame Duck » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Doctor Who is a show I have an odd relationship with. It's somewhat hit and miss, but overall I just don't think it's very good. The writing is often pretty terrible and, in particular, they can't do series endings for shit. That said, I still watch it for two reasons. Number one, I enjoy picking the episodes apart and figuring out what I think is wrong about it. And number two, I really, really like the character of the Doctor. I like him enough to make up for basically everything else about the show. I think what I find so appealing about him is that he's having adventures and he's aware that he's having adventures and he loves it; he seems like he is genuinely having fun and is excited about his own awesome life. I find that really refreshing and entertaining.

Anyways, the recent episode was actually pretty good. It had some great lines and the ideas they were playing with were kind of interesting. I wish they hadn't tied it into real world technology though, this sort of magical nonsense is always more palatable when it's magical alien nonsense and I don't think the wifi element really added anything of value.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:33 pm

Tetracyclic wrote:Doctor What? Hm? Who you say? What?

Don't, jut don't.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 pm

Absolutely adore it (it is made in Wales afterall =D), I thought this was a really fun, solid episode. I did like the idea that the Doctor basically bewilders his enemies into submission.

Clara has looked solid in every role we've seen her in so far, I've been on and off on Moffat's writing as showrunner but he has smashed it every time picking assistants. I'm still slightly disappointed we couldn't have a Victorian Clara as an assistant but any Oswin is a good Oswin.

The running arc so far has been a lot more interesting that the messes that the last two series' were turning into as far as overarching plot (I didn't hate them, but they felt weighted incorrectly)

Most of all though and probably why I loved this episode to pieces is they seemed to have got rid of that washed-out grey photography thing that was going on for the past season. I'm a little worried it was just because they were shooting on location this time round, but it's so nice (and important, given the nature of the show) to have everything be colourful
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:53 am

Yay,bringing back the great intelligence.Its been quite a while,hasnt it.

I also used this long hiatus to get through the original run.Didnt reach quite as far as I thought I would(damn this getting older stuff,sucking up all of my free time),but Im getting there.
Blake

Postby Blake » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:55 am

Anyone else notice the author of Clara's book?
It was Amelia Williams. I hope it's simply a nod to the Ponds and not a plot point that will be revealed later. As much as I liked the Ponds, The past half season with them was too much goodbye.
Jace911

Postby Jace911 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:13 am

Blake wrote:Anyone else notice the author of Clara's book?
It was Amelia Williams. I hope it's simply a nod to the Ponds and not a plot point that will be revealed later. As much as I liked the Ponds, The past half season with them was too much goodbye.

I think it was supposed to be a little joke, not foreshadowing:

"Which chapter are you on?"
"Ten."
"Eleven's my favorite. You'll cry your eyes out."

So true. ;_____;
lebkin

Postby lebkin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Yay,bringing back the great intelligence.Its been quite a while,hasnt it.

I also used this long hiatus to get through the original run.Didnt reach quite as far as I thought I would(damn this getting older stuff,sucking up all of my free time),but Im getting there.

Depends on your definition of "how long." The Great Intelligence was just seen in the 2012's Christmas Special (The Snowmen). Though that was technically a hundred years before this appearance. During that gap, the Intelligence has encountered the Second Doctor twice; once in 1935 (The Abominable Snowmen) and again 40 years later in 1975 (The Web of Fear). So "how long" anywhere from four months to 38 years. :)
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 am

I thought I enjoyed the episode and I think I still do but my brother opened my eyes to something. Oswin's dialogue tends to just be about hammering on the innuendos. The night-time scene in the suburb is the most blatant example of this: the word 'snogbox' didn't need to be said that many times.

On a more personal grudge, I dislike how early in the character arc she got her superpowers.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:08 am

Well to be fair Amy had her share of innuendos in her first episodes. Remember the bedroom scene?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 am

I don't think it's so much inappropriate as it's a little weird because Amy and Oswin are sharing some of the same space right now. A lot of the same space really. It's sort of being played like 11's first romance (and boo to that chapter jab) but he definitely had one with Amy, although he lost. (Spoilers)

Oh that reminds me. I guess he had one with River Song too.

! Wait! That's brilliant! If Oswin is going to be getting at the Doctor then no more Song. Completely worth it.

Although we're getting to a stage where I'm not sure I can name a supporting female Moffat character whose dialogue with the Doctor isn't all innuendos
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am

The doctor definitely needs more male companions.Straight male companions.I mean I love captain jack,and john barrowman is hot,but I prefer when doctor has a buddy who doesnt want to bone him(which is why donna is my favorite of the new companions).I also love matt smith,and I get why the doctor is obsessed with oswin,but theres now a strong vibe of a creepy old man getting a face lift and seducing young women.The old series had quite a bunch of male companions,and some of them were amazing.But if not just a single male companion,having a couple like with amy and rory works just as well.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:58 am

Yeaaah. It seems female companions are starting to be selected for their eye candy as primary trait.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:08 am

Starting?Thats the only reason why they had rose.Nothing against billie piper,but damn rose was bad.
SleepingDragon

Postby SleepingDragon » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:13 am

Well I for one am in a double minority who on the one hand likes Song and on the other wants a male companion to bone the Doctor, that said I do think that the whole sexual tension angle, especially between the Doctor and companions is overplayed and frankly boring. I mean, no offense but here we have a series where a whole lot of people are willing to accept even some serious asspulls and suspend their disbelief to crazy levels in favour of the sheer sense of wonder... and we bog it down to "will they kiss"... Well, here's to hoping that the whole "I'm married now" angle is going to cut a bit of that with Oswin, then again maybe it's the fact that I like Song as a character speaking again.

Also, I agree that Donna was a hell of a good companion.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:27 am

Rose wasn't awful, her Londoner ways were pretty cool and I don't mind her hooking up with Tennant (it helped it was a lot less aggressive than Moffat's was) but the way they kept on coming back to it was awful, they needed to let things lie with her. And at least Amy had Rory, it's the having so many altogether where it begins to get silly.

And you really don't need to do it with Oswin. She's an interesting cool person with places to go all by herself. They could have a great platonic relationship easy as pie.
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:17 pm

Thomas wrote:Rose wasn't awful, her Londoner ways were pretty cool and I don't mind her hooking up with Tennant (it helped it was a lot less aggressive than Moffat's was) but the way they kept on coming back to it was awful, they needed to let things lie with her. And at least Amy had Rory, it's the having so many altogether where it begins to get silly.

And you really don't need to do it with Oswin. She's an interesting cool person with places to go all by herself. They could have a great platonic relationship easy as pie.

I liked Rose too, although I thought her more platonic relationship with Eccleston was her best relationship. She didn't need to keep coming back. Bad Wolf was done and they needed to let that go.

And am I the only one who liked Rory more than Amy? A submissive male nurse trying to stand above the crowd and apart from the Doctor to impress his girlfriend/wife? I find that a little better than Amy's 'girl who waited' story.

I hope they go interesting ways with Oswin but I can't help but think that she doesn't have much character growth left to go, with her gaining her awesome hacking skills in the first twenty minutes. Still, I guess we can speculate who gave her the Doctor's phone number. Do you think Oswin gave it to herself?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Indy_S wrote:And am I the only one who liked Rory more than Amy?

I liked them both about the same.And though they both are great solo,together they were even better.Great sinergy.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Indy_S wrote:And am I the only one who liked Rory more than Amy?

I liked them both about the same.And though they both are great solo,together they were even better.Great sinergy.

Ditto this. I think them and the Doctor had the most connection all together of pretty much all the companions in the new series and probably several of the old too. Rory didn't fall into the trap of being boring because he was quiet and dependable and the actor was always fantastic.

I'm not a Donna fan though. Maybe it's a cultural thing though, because a lot of you guys aren't British right? So you don't see Catherine Tate every time she speaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

And the Tate schtick got old. You can only bare to hear 'shu-up do you think I'm bothered?' repeated so many times in a school day and there was still enough in Donna's character to be a reminder of that.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 am

Oh I do like Song, she is a kind of a nice counterweight to Doctor, being more violent. Also Rory wins it all with being unflappable when first presented with TARDIS.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 am

Sooo, how about that new episode? I have to say even taking into account time wobbly thing, that part with the leaf made no sense to me.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am

Doctor who always had a more stronger lean towards emotions instead of actual science,even more so in the new series.Thats what is always bringing me in.Love,rage,sadness,happiness,those are the driving forces of plenty of doodads in this universe.And that leaf there was charged with all the emotions that lead to it bringing oswins parents together,and to her being born.But,even more importantly,that leaf brought to a girl that died twice to be born again,which makes it a very powerful thing.

Also,I did get a torchwood flashback,about that monster eating jack until it died.And that,sounded a bit dirtier than I intended it to be.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

I think this episode wasn't good (except in sound and visuals which were amazing!! And the girl actor was brilliant and the time Oswin spent with here was super smart and it was a really good place to visit as the 'first trip in the Tardis episode)

.... but the pacing was weird and they didn't set the rules of the bad guy up enough. I didn't know what it could do or what it would work against it and it messed up all the supposed tension and resolution (I'm confused to why the Doctor still has his memories and if the sun was eating a whole civilisation full of memories each time, I really don't think he had that much in comparison to offer)

As for the leaf, either Oswin being a time anomaly killed it (which I like better than the actual answer), or I do like the idea that giving the monster something that people had imbued with the possibilities of the future was a neat trick, because possibilities are endless, but it raises the question why that never worked before

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”