Doctor Who?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Thomas wrote:How did you find Bill stumbling on the monster of the week plot as part of her normal life - without the involvement of the Doctor or the TARDIS?

I was never a fan of cramming ever more weird shit onto earth(england,london),so this falls into my "general annoyance with the new who" category.But I like the new companion,so I dont mind slight contrivances like that.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Thomas wrote:I was never a fan of cramming ever more weird shit onto earth(UK,london),so this falls into my "general annoyance with the new who" category.But I like the new companion,so I dont mind slight contrivances like that.

FTFY :P Although thinking about it, Doctor Who is weirdly fixed in South East England for UK episodes.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 pm

Or Cardiff.
Where it's actually filmed.
So sometimes they don't have to pretend Cardiff is anywhere else.

However it's actually posing for Bristol where this has all been set this time.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon May 08, 2017 9:25 am

I was actually thinking it isn't set in Cardiff as much as you'd expect. Also I'm embarrassed for thinking it was a made up university this season
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon May 08, 2017 11:33 am

There were the only two cities for a while anyway, then Torchwood laid claim to Cardiff exclusivity rights I presume.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am

Another pun based episode, it seems to be working.

Quite a depressing economic solution they were proposing there.

That was also the kind of story arc twist I appreciate, although the delivery was a bit Anchorman for my tastes.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Why did nardole need a suit?Isnt he a robot?

If there was no air on the station,how come theres a vacuum outside but not inside?

Other than those two nitpick,yeah this one was enjoyable.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 pm

I was wondering about the first one! I'd never even thought about the second, but yeah you're right, plot hole!
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 21, 2017 8:10 pm

This was a return to Moffat - it's trying very, very hard to impress you and be smart by being weird. But because we've had a series of standard, very good, very normal episodes, I'm happy enough with it.

I appreciate, for however brief, any version of the Catholic Church in fiction that isn't entirely evil and they got some great lines in. Nothing quite like having the Pope show up in your bedroom during a date.

The Monks are very Silence, Capaldi isn't very good at being blind but I'm glad they've committed and the execution was cool (but very Moffat)
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Thomas wrote:Nothing quite like having the Pope show up in your bedroom during a date.

Especially if you are gay.

It was a good episode.But I think that rick sanchez handled such situations a bit better.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Ha!I shouldve recognized that silly voice right away.That is a blast from an ooooooold past.

For those who dont know(which I guess is all of you)there is a story in old who about a conference on a distant world,between humans,ice warriors and alpha centaurians,the silly voiced big eyed things.Nice to see a new story tie into that one.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:17 pm

I was wondering who it was, thanks
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Same voice actress too.
Which means they are 92.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Oh wow...they really went back with this one. Mondas was....season 2? I think...of the old show. Anf venusian aikido was the third doctor's thing. Very nice job on updating the old cybermen costumes with a new backstory. Kudos to whoever is injecting all these prequels.

The only somewhat major gripe I have is with bill's attitude towards missy. She never saw the depravity missy is capable of, yet she is constantly acting like she has.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Same voice actress too.
Which means they are 92.

They could've just used old clips and just credited her for them.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Oh, no, they brought her back for it!
After she previously retired from the role and was replaced, they did indeed bring her back as the original voice.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:44 pm

Hmmm...I have a bit of mixed feelings about the final episode.On the bad end,there are two rather terrible things that have ruined the episode for me.First is the beginning of the last episode showing us that the doctor survived,so all of the tension was sucked out of the death scene.Which is a shame,because it was effective otherwise.The second is the "I dont wanna go" squared speech.If the intention was to top that bit of stupidity,they sure have done it.Im not even angry at this point,just disappointed.So disappointed.

On the ehh side,theres the "payoff" of the first episode.I say payoff,because it was pretty wrapped up back in that episode,but on the other hand its better than some stuff that were set up without any payoff in the previous seasons.So,ehhh....

On the positive side however,I love the master killing shklerself.Twice.And that works even if you ignore the spoilered part completely.I also love the very end,even though,for obvious reasons,they couldnt have brought the old actor this time.Although,seeing what rogue one did....But nah,this way is better.And if you think that "the younger one is wiser" is silly and nonsensical,yes it definitely is.Yet they did it like that in the old show,so its a callback.

By the way,can I call my feelings nostalgic?The fact that I love them bringing stuff from the old show back.Because I have started watching the show with the new one,then jumped back in the old one while there were seasonal breaks.Does nostalgia work when the things you are nostalgic about are (relatively) recent?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 am

Oddly enough, although not leaked (surprisingly), betting odds got very near the mark.
It's a step at least, not that they didn't obviously take great pains to make it "safe(r)".
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Freaking finally!

I'd feel better about it if I didn't know about BBC's policy and how that is driving this change (they've put a hold on hiring white men till they reach equity). And the way certain groups are acting like this is a victory of conquest.

Certain groups make me oppose things I'd otherwise be fine with just to spite them.

I also just know that now that she's female, she's going to go from the bumbling idiot she's been to super competent, alert and with it at all times. The Doctor, inspite of being a super-intelligent alien has been portrayed the last few years as someone who couldn't tie his shoes without a woman there to help him (at least when I was still watching during the Smith run). Now, she's going to be the only one who can do anything right while guys uselessly marvel over how freaking awesome she is and how lost they'd be without her.

And if they don't portray her like that, the feminists will complain. Heck they're already complaining that the Doctor isn't also black and trans.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:29 pm

Considering the massive change in writing team and showrunners, it's all up in the air.
Though considering Moffat's history of what I call "Moffat female character syndrome" honestly, probably going to be better than characters than he's often wont to write.
It took a whole year for Clara to not be written as just a plot device after all.

The role's been "white guy" (usually old) for so long, change is long overdue? Though it's hardly like they did this out of the blue, almost like they were testing the waters beforehand.

I've also not heard anything about a policy about saying they're not going to cast dudes as the Doctor? They certainly had guy's names floating around the speculation before the announcement!
I'd like a source on that.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Ringwraith wrote:I've also not heard anything about a policy about saying they're not going to cast dudes as the Doctor? They certainly had guy's names floating around the speculation before the announcement!

I dont think it applies to the bbc shows,but the netword did include some diversity quotas recently.Delve deeper into that if you wish,I dont really care any more.And I wanted the doctor to be a woman before it was politicized,so Im happy for this.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:29 am

I was gonna say. If Moffat's still on, I don't see this as anything other than a disaster waiting to happen.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 am

No, Moffat's gone. Thank goodness, he does not run things well that's for sure. He can write self-contained things, just don't put him in charge of anything.

But anyway, it's not like they weren't building up to this, seeing as in the mini-teaser/prequel for Day of the Doctors had a possible female regeneration for the Doctor laid out in front of him amongst the male ones, there's Missy, and also the amusing reference when a Time Lord regenerates and mentions the one they just left was the only male incarnation they've had.

The internet these days tends to make everything into a "movement", because when you do something "unexpected" like change a character's race/gender people kick up a fuss about it, when ideally this shouldn't be a deal at all. Things have changed in the years past with far less of a kerfuffle.
Though it's kind of hard for it not to become some sort of large talking point when you have stuff like this printed which is barely fit for the recycling bin.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:I've also not heard anything about a policy about saying they're not going to cast dudes as the Doctor? They certainly had guy's names floating around the speculation before the announcement!

I dont think it applies to the bbc shows,but the netword did include some diversity quotas recently.Delve deeper into that if you wish,I dont really care any more.And I wanted the doctor to be a woman before it was politicized,so Im happy for this.

It applies some to casting for BBC in general but it probably applies even more behind the scenes. Guys have been reassigned over this, I'm not sure if any have been fired. Its like how Scott Adam's career started. Twice he was on the fast track for promotions in two different companies when someone took him aside and told him they couldn't promote him any further because he was a white man and there were already too many white men in the upper ranks. Twice this happened. This is what led to him creating Dilbert (he's not told the real story till recently because now he has what he calls 'fuck you' money which must be glorious.)

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”