Doctor Who?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Ringwraith

Re: Doctor Who?

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 am

No doubt idiocy can exist all over.
Misguided attempts to "fix" things and whatnot.
And then it gets revealed theres a 1.5 million pound gap between the highest paid BBC male and female presenters respectively.
Which does come off as a bit iffy.
But regardless, waaay off track here.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 am

Ringwraith wrote:And then it gets revealed theres a 1.5 million pound gap between the highest paid BBC male and female presenters respectively.
Which does come off as a bit iffy.

Sure.If you ignore everything* but the number next to the pound,it does come off as iffy.

*The popularity of the people,the hours when their shows air,the audience pull,etc,etc.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm

There is some of that, but it shouldn't be that skewed really.
Although partly also depends if they're including money spend on people's own production companies that do their shows, because then it gets a bit fuzzier.
Then there's the more obvious cases where there people are doing the same job but getting significantly different amounts.

(Chris Evans pretty much only does morning radio and Top Gear if I recall).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Ringwraith wrote:There is some of that, but it shouldn't be that skewed really.

Sure,but the same can be said about many other things.Id argue that theres no reason for a professional soccer player to have orders of magnitude more money than a professional water polo player,but people watch the first way more than the second.Its not fair,but making it unfair in a different manner sure wont fix the problem.

What would somewhat fix the problem is to have the quality of the future who episodes improve.More empty child episodes,less moon killing ones.

Also,I hope they continue with the trend of bringing old stuff back like in the last few episodes.But I guess Im one of the very few who cares about that.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 am

I mean, it's not so much the large of amounts of money in the first place.
Although one of the people on the list was disagreeing with a caller on their radio show who thought their high salary was justified. Which is kind of the most hilarious spot-on snapshot of the situation you could make, probably.

They even brought back the original voice for Alpha Centauri after all!
Though there's going to be a significant turnover in the writing crew, and Moffat could write real good standalone episodes, he did The Empty Child after all, and that was definitely his best position. Though I doubt he wants anything to do with it anymore, seeing as he's seemingly getting a Dracula series in the vein of Sherlock. Which doesn't fill me with confidence.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:50 am

Ringwraith wrote:seeing as he's seemingly getting a Dracula series in the vein of Sherlock. Which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Look at the bright side:Dracula is supposed to suck.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 am

What bugs me is that one of the execs is on record immediately agreeing that the pay disparity is an error he plans to fix.

Excuse me? How? The highest paid woman gets paid a million less than the highest paid man. He probably can't afford to give a bunch of women each a several hundred thousand dollar raise, and it would be outrageous to give those guys a several hundred thousand dollar pay cut just because some feminist somewhere complained.

Could it be that maybe, just maybe, the men at the top of that list are worth what they're paid as is the woman?

I mean I believe I read recently that Oprah Winfrey is the wealthiest person in the entertainment industry. A black woman. Are you saying she didn't earn it? Does she owe all the less wealthy white guys in the industry some money?

Or does all that BS only apply when you're talking about wealthy white guys?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am

Getting waaaaaaay out of field here.

Is the Dracula show about historical Vlad the Impaler, or about Vampire Dracula?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:I mean I believe I read recently that Oprah Winfrey is the wealthiest person in the entertainment industry. A black woman. Are you saying she didn't earn it? Does she owe all the less wealthy white guys in the industry some money?

Or does all that BS only apply when you're talking about wealthy white guys?

In that list are newscasters with gender disparity for doing the same job? So it's certainly got some easily comparable situations, it's true a lot of the others aren't really capable of straight-up comparison, which is why they're not the main sticking point. The high end of the scale is usually the outlier anyway, and not that statistically significant unless it's a large cluster.
Supahewok wrote:Is the Dracula show about historical Vlad the Impaler, or about Vampire Dracula?

Dracula-Dracula as far as I'm aware? Admittedly, I haven't bothered to look into it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:37 pm

Supahewok wrote:Is the Dracula show about historical Vlad the Impaler, or about Vampire Dracula?

Its the untold dracula.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”