Doctor Who?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
4th Dimension

Re: Doctor Who?

Post by 4th Dimension » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:03 pm

So I finally caved in and watched the second part of the Zygon episode. Aaaaaand it's actually pretty good. Especially the later half in the black archive. Unfortunatelly it's still weighted down by the AWFULL first episode.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:26 am

So,the finale....I liked the teaser in the end a lot.Looking forward to that episode.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:46 am

Yup, not an over-complicated finale either! Despite having a lot going on.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:22 pm

'One of my favourite episodes of Doctor Who is the one where he punches through a wall'
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm sad I missed out on half this season, everything I saw I really loved. Even the episodes which weren't the most polished (like the Sandman one) felt enjoyable, forgivably unpolished in a way that Robot-Sheriff's didn't. I'd love someone who was really knowledgable about the technicalities behind TV production to point out why this season felt so very different from the last couple. Or maybe it's because I didn't feel forced to watch it and chose it instead (except I felt the same way about the first episode too).

Clara and Capaldi's Doctor really stamped their mark in Who history with this one. As a fan of Clara who was always disappointed by the way she was saddled down with the identical female tics and traits over the past few seasons, I'm so happy that she got to go out like a champ. She earned a high spot amongst companions. Her being more dangerous than the norm really clicks with something underlying about her character.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:41 pm

Thomas wrote:I'm so happy that she got to go out like a champ.
Almost.The last episode had to ruin that.

It also had to ruin the doctor,and the whole concept of jack harkness and immortals(seriously,someone made immortal by the reality shattering tech of the time lords is trumped by someone made immortal by the parlor trick tech of judoon wannabes?).

Id say that it also ruined the time lords,but old who did it loooooooong ago.If you want to see what they really were,back when they were introduced,watch the last story of the second doctor:War games.Its epic.How low they have sunk from there*sigh*.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:00 pm

The last episode was still her going out like a champ - I'm assuming that's the last we've seen of Clara - and that's way better even than her exit the couple of episodes previous. It would have been a complete anti-climax because it wasn't the kind of death where you felt it had been locked in narratively, instead they managed to make it even more her own than it already was, somehow
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:28 am

This one hinges on whether you like river song.Except for the ending,which is good either way.I like river song,therefore I like the whole episode.

Also,the ending is great.It also makes the ending(s) of the last episode(s) that much stupider and that much more character assassony.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:14 am

As Ive mentioned before,Patrick Troughton is my favorite doctor,and the war games is one of the best stories in the whole show,old and new.Its my second favorite story of Troughton era.And now,you are in luck,because no longer is the only way for you to see this great story by watching all of the plethora of episodes of old who in order to reach it.Now,you can just see SFDebris' review of it.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:29 am

You know what....I think he is right!Superman and clark kent ARE the same person!
krellen

Post by krellen » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:10 pm

This Christmas special was unusually American.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:08 pm

I thought that was pretty super. Continuing a really strong run of Capaldi episodes
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 am

Good news! The new season continues last seasons return to form! And this is before a certain actor makes his reappearance. Some great lines from the new companion - continuing that weird British class dynamic that's hallmarked the New Who companions, but super likeable. Favourite line:

"First you have to imagine a very large box, inside a very small box. - Then you have to build it. It's the second bit people find difficult"

EDIT: Also, now I live in Cardiff, I get to do the Cardiff thing where all these cities and places the TARDIS goes to look suspiciously like my walk to work .
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

My favourite part of the new series is that, for once, the new companion will definitely not be falling in love with the Doctor. The episode itself was mostly just a remix of old ideas from Tennant's run but thank christ they're not doing that bloody plotline again.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Hah,pictures of river and susan.Thats a nice touch.
Thomas wrote: EDIT: Also, now I live in Cardiff, I get to do the Cardiff thing where all these cities and places the TARDIS goes to look suspiciously like my walk to work .
Did you have that giant shadow monster attack yet?Or is that still in the future?What about the nuclear plant explosion?
Lachlan the Mad wrote:My favourite part of the new series is that, for once, the new companion will definitely not be falling in love with the Doctor. The episode itself was mostly just a remix of old ideas from Tennant's run but thank christ they're not doing that bloody plotline again.
They had their fill with rose and martha,thankfully.What I am hoping for is another leela.Someone who will run towards the danger instead of from it.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:44 am

Could someone bring me up to speed on the vault and the promise? I seem to have forgotten
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:42 am

You haven't forgotten.
We don't know.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 am

No,its a new thing.At least,I dont remember it being introduced before this season.

As for the episode,that scene in the beginning was unnecessary.It wouldve worked much better with them slowly finding out the mystery,without that scene spelling it out.

The ending doesnt really work for me,except for that money smiley face,that was funny.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Feels like an afterwards addition, as does randomly mentioning it's a human colony then wondering if it's built for humans later.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 pm

This series is like the platonic ideal of New Who.

People often recommend Blink to people wanting to get into Doctor Who, but that's a bad idea really. Blink is exceptional - in quality and structure.

But this new series is just fun. It's janky, Doctor Who is always janky. It's wonderful, Doctor Who is wonderfull.

Some lovely bits of acting from Capaldi this episode. I'm really glad his getting an opportunity with a slightly altered version of his Doctor.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:11 am

Blink is definitely the example of why it's sometimes excellent, but it's frequently all over the place, so yeah, not indicative.

It is at its best right now when the actors can really just do their thing, particularly Capaldi.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 04, 2017 5:18 am

I like the new doctor/companion mechanics.She challenges him on his bullshit,but in order to understand not to judge him.

As for his "Order me",I doubt that he really wanted her to take charge,but was rather testing her.If she cant feel for a lesser species,why should he?
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun May 07, 2017 5:29 pm

If I was a kid, I'd have been bricking it in "Knock Knock" - which is speech for "Part of me was bricking it in Knock Knock".

I wonder how much of that episode's creation was based around puns. Because you've got wood lice and a guy who "knocks on wood". If it really is, I wonder how many people noticed it, I think the phrase/superstition 'knock on wood' or 'touch wood' is dying out in the younger generations.

Also this series has felt really fresh right up until the last 2 minutes of this episode. What is it with Moffat and women? Why can't he write normally interactions between his protagonist and key women in the protagonists life? He's also dipping into the Sherlock Holmes well again. I guess, since he might not have written that bit (he didn't write the episode, but I don't know how much the showrunner writes the long-term story arc bits), it's more the plot concepting than anything.

If that's not Missy in the vault, then all is forgiven. But somehow I don't think it's John Simms
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 pm

To me this episode was more like psycho,but with space aliens.Also no one died in the shower.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun May 07, 2017 8:02 pm

The Landlord definitely nailed the creepy.

How did you find Bill stumbling on the monster of the week plot as part of her normal life - without the involvement of the Doctor or the TARDIS?