The Big Weather Thread

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby SpammyV » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:25 am

I have several days worth stocked up. Luckily (or not) I'm in Houston so the main storm isn't getting here for half a week, although we're still getting rain. I don't think my neighborhood has a history of flooding. But if things get worse I have an evacuation plan.
Steve C

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby Steve C » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm currently experiencing a heat wave in an exceptionally cool summer. Only thing notable about it is that it's Sept. Normally what I do is manage the heat and humidity by picking when to open windows and when to keep them shut. Once I start considering turning on the heat at night, I purposely start trapping the heat in during the day. That occurred a full month ago. Basically I've managed to maximize my discomfort for this freak weather. Plus it's so humid my dehumidifier managed to overflow. Not emptying it for 3 days is pretty safe. It overflowed in less than 2.
User avatar
Wide And Nerdy

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 am

SpammyV wrote:I have several days worth stocked up. Luckily (or not) I'm in Houston so the main storm isn't getting here for half a week, although we're still getting rain. I don't think my neighborhood has a history of flooding. But if things get worse I have an evacuation plan.


I see from your post history that you survived Harvey. I survived Irma. I did it by living in a part of the state where it didn't hit that badly. In fact most of us didn't even lose power. I did for a little while, not even a whole day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVEPvXBEOSE
Moridin

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby Moridin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 am

It's been unseasonally warm here for the past couple days. Yesterday it was actually warm enough to be out without jacket. Mid-october, in Finland.
User avatar
grahams_xwing
Location: Mansfield, UK

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:42 am

yeah - we had 20 degree (Celsius) weather in England on Saturday -this is before the back end of one of the Hurricanes wobbled it's way across the Atlantic - picked up enough Saharan dust to turn the sky blood red in places then smash the west coast, especially Ireland with 100mph winds.

Baby did NOT sleep well last night.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby SpammyV » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:22 pm

I walked out of my apartment yesterday morning and we'd dropped like 25 degrees off of the morning temperature in one night. Abruptly I realized why the back of my hand had suddenly dried up, a cold front had hit in the middle of the night.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 am

Yeah. So warm that I went BACK to my SUMMER clothes for during the day bits. Still on the coldish side in the morning.
This weather is WEIRD.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:59 am

Lucky for me I wear my summer clothes as long as its above 10 degrees during the day.I just wear a light jacket when going outside.Still,by this time I usually switch to long sleeves.

This weather almost makes one wish for a nuclear winter.
User avatar
grahams_xwing
Location: Mansfield, UK

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:37 am

SpammyV wrote:I walked out of my apartment yesterday morning and we'd dropped like 25 degrees off of the morning temperature in one night. Abruptly I realized why the back of my hand had suddenly dried up, a cold front had hit in the middle of the night.

You make it sound like an old war wound or something - "oh i suffer terribly from the cold, gets right into my old knee wound" - did you used to be an adventurer until you took an arrow to the hand /meme?
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Postby SpammyV » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:05 am

grahams_xwing wrote:
SpammyV wrote:I walked out of my apartment yesterday morning and we'd dropped like 25 degrees off of the morning temperature in one night. Abruptly I realized why the back of my hand had suddenly dried up, a cold front had hit in the middle of the night.

You make it sound like an old war wound or something - "oh i suffer terribly from the cold, gets right into my old knee wound" - did you used to be an adventurer until you took an arrow to the hand /meme?


Another cold snap made me think of this again because my hand started drying out again. Wound isn't actually the furthest thing from the truth. When I got sent to Minnesota in January it was the first time I'd ever been that far north and been exposed to that kind of cold and dryness. My hand got so bad it looked like I had some kind of medical condition: Red, scabbed over, painful, almost bleeding. Constant application of moisturizing lotion helped things get flexible enough to stop scabbing and cracking, but I'm really aware of the dryness of that hand now.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest