The Big Weather Thread

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Humanoid

Re: The Big Weather Thread

Post by Humanoid » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:09 pm

Today was the first day of the year that I had to wear a jumper. Ah autumn, my favourite season.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Ahh, you are from the upside down part of the globe.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Sunny throughout whole week.Not a drop of rain.Well,at least its not to hot,merely up to 20s.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Wow,its already pushing 30 degrees here.Not even a whole month after the last snow,its summer time.We really need to work on getting those spaceships mining the comets pronto,so we can finally get rid of global warming once and for all.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Hey,spring is finally here!We had a ling winter,followed by brief summer,and now finally spring,with some spring rain,and some manageable temperatures of about 20 degrees.A really interesting year this one is turning out to be.
Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed May 08, 2013 5:12 pm

You had a long winter followed by a brief summer and then spring? =D
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Thomas wrote:You had a long winter followed by a brief summer and then spring? =D
Yup,we had snow as far as april,then we had temperatures of over 30 with no rain,and finally this week is,somewhat,normal.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Thomas wrote:You had a long winter followed by a brief summer and then spring? =D
Yup,we had snow as far as april,then we had temperatures of over 30 with no rain,and finally this week is,somewhat,normal.
Yup excatly that. Also further more the "summer" coincided with the usual breaks for Orthodox Easter and 1. May celebrations. Double win.
Zukhramm

Post by Zukhramm » Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't even know what it is anymore. It's warm, I saw ants and bumblebees yesterday, but no leaves on the trees yet.
wheals

Post by wheals » Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
I was going to say ""temperatures of over 30" are summer conditions for you?!" Then I realized you must have a halfway sensible temperature measurement system, unlike us Americans :p
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 08, 2013 7:53 pm

wheals wrote: I was going to say ""temperatures of over 30" are summer conditions for you?!" Then I realized you must have a halfway sensible temperature measurement system, unlike us Americans :p
I should probably convert to kelvin scale because of this ambiguity.

So,these days we are having temps maxing at about 290K,but last few weeks we were over 300K.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Wow. TIme sure flies. If you asked me when was it that we posted last here I would have said a year ago top.

Anyway I have been freezing my ass off these past two days. Up untill now the winter was quite mild, I didn't even have to wear two layers at my bottom half, and during the day the temperature was in teens so if you are walking in sun you could even go out without a jacket.

But then we were hit by rainy weather and then an cold wave hit with STRONG winds (the kind that topples trees). All of this ws then accompanied with really low temperatures around zero. It is so cold that it even prevented or muffled our custom of welcoming Chritmass with huge bonfires in front of churches and basically trying to go through the entire supply of things that go bang (including firearms) in one night. This time the wind prevented bonfires, and the cold kept people inside. Yesterday the temperature did not climb above zero, and I'm on the coast of the Mediteranian Sea. Now some will probably scoff at this, but this is simply not the kind of temperatures we are really ready for or know how to deal with. I mean this morning we had to get a heater outside to heat the water usage counter in which (and it's pipes) the water froze since it was above ground, else we would have had no water.
In the interior it's a LOT worse.
But the temperature is starting to climb. Today it MIGHT even reach 1 degree.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:00 pm

4th Dimension wrote:All of this ws then accompanied with really low temperatures around zero.
Ah the south seaside,where 0 is considered cold.Yesterday we had -14.With those strong winds that make it seem even colder.Also snow and ice aplenty.And that was during the day.Today is just as cold,and it will be around -10 for the next 5 days.The funniest thing was that the new years eve was rather hot,with 1 or 2 degrees outside.

However,we are ready for these kind of temperatures.My apartment is around 25,thanks to centralized heating.Heck,even my terrace doesnt go bellow 10,thanks to that thin foil you can just zip down when the winds start a blowing.So I dont mind.Even made a snowman a few days ago.There were a few severe car crashes around the country though,but those were caused by people that were stupid enough to not have their winter gear on when driving during this weather.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Well, the trouble is not so much that the temperature dropped below 0, that happens often during night, but that it stayed so during day. But yeah when I hear the kind of temperatures that are happening up there north, I I I I don't think I have the clothes for that kind of weather, let alone wanting to be anywhere near it. I mean this morning I went to a service, and it was like 1 C outside (it was on a smaller hill overlooking the seas (about 300m ASL)) and fooled around with my camera (because it was a VERY clear day (rain and wind blew away most of the airsols) trying to take a picture of an Island of Mljet (Croatia) 100km away, while waiting for the service to start, I managed to freeze my fingers to like the bone. Had to heat them up over candles.

The central heating sure is a godsend for you. Probably also keeps the electric bills manageable considering we are heating ourselves using electricity (a TA (thermal accumulation) electric heater and AC) which means due to shit cold strike the electricity bill it going to be interesting.

Still whenever I hear the temperatures up around your parts, I thank God I'm not living in that for me frozen hellscape.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 pm

4th Dimension wrote:I don't think I have the clothes for that kind of weather,
Yeah,proper clothing is the key.I have a great winter coat,that spends about 700 days stuffed in the back of my closet,but boy am I glad that I have it during those 30 cold days*.Same goes for my boots.

*The ratio used to be more like 300/65,but the last decade was pretty weird.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:07 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Wow. TIme sure flies. If you asked me when was it that we posted last here I would have said a year ago top.
There's got to be a second weather thread floating around.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Steve C wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Wow. TIme sure flies. If you asked me when was it that we posted last here I would have said a year ago top.
There's got to be a second weather thread floating around.
There is,but this is the original one.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Well this is the one I found through search. I did not know we had two, so when searching I went searching from older to newer.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:51 pm

So I have to travel out-of-state for a five week long training program for my job. Right now in my hometown of Houston it's a nice 73 F. Where I am now in Minneapolis it's 27 F. I saw more snow just on the sidewalk waiting for my Uber pickup than I have ever seen before in my life. How do people live where it gets cold?
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:15 am

My personal theory is that all of them are actually were-bears and actually spend most of the winter in their bear form only changing back into humans when we come into their places.

But seriously, by using layered proper clothing, good shoes with good isolation towards the floor, and by heating CONSTANTLY everything that is in doors so when you go out you are already warm and your clothing will keep that warmth in.
Also how cold affects you it is quite dependable on humidity. Dry air is better insulator than humid and so it's warmer on dry days. And finally people are used to the fact that cold happens during winter.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:40 am

As one of the werebears I can tell you that cold is pretty easy to get used to.So is the snow and ice.The real enemy of cold parts is the wind.When the wind picks up,no matter how many times youve experienced it,it will still screw you over in a major way.Especially when there is something falling from the sky,or if the snow is loose on the ground.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat May 13, 2017 9:25 pm

I got caught in the first summer thunderstorm of the year.Bright sun,25 degrees,and at the same time heavy rain and constant thundering.Its always surreal to be in such a weather.
4th Dimension

Post by 4th Dimension » Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 am

Eh, that is normal. What is annoying is the part where the weather seems not to be able to decide what it wants to do. Does it want to be hot or cold. I mean I go to work in the morning in shirt and sweater but by the afternoon at home I'm in shorts and short sleeves. Weather get your shit together.

Also dirty rains we have had couple of times are making me not want to bother to get my car washed if it's going to be dirtied again during the next rain.
Supahewok

Post by Supahewok » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:00 am

Hope you stocked up on supplies, Spammy. Or got the hell outta town. I hear its shaping up to be like Allison again.