Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Detail)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Supahewok

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 17, 2016 12:56 am

I think it doesn't stray into politics to state that companies in the US (or at least my state) are required to have potential teen workers turn in forms of parental consent before they can be hired, until the age of 18, and that I highly doubt that Aunt May signed one before Stark whisked Peter across the world to fight the most powerful people in said world. Rather hypocritical of Stark, wouldn't you say?
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue May 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Point-of-fact: Spider-Man was not compensated for his involvement, and thus it was not "work".
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 17, 2016 5:01 pm

Stark gave him a doohickey, and we're not told why. It could, in fact, be compensation. Regardless, the moral point still stands: child-protection laws were originally conceived to protect children from dangerous or exploitative conditions. Stark completely ignores those laws by bringing a teen to fight the most powerful people, minus the Hulk, currently in the world, without permission from that teen's guardian. If he doesn't break that law about work, he's surely breaking some law about endangerment, making his stance on forcing his companions to kowtow to the UN hypocritical.
krellen

Postby krellen » Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm

I don't think anyone would really argue that Tony isn't a hypocrite. He's quintessential Chaotic Good. His word means nothing.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Yeah, I don't think anybody here is arguing against that particular point, but I still wanted to make it for my own satisfaction if nothing else.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 am

Maybe a tad too much christ imagery,but overall a nice one.And judging how I saw the conga line of sacrifices on LoT recently,this was stellar*.

But wait,a new director?Is this the return of fury?Or has talbot gained a promotion?

Heh,talbot was great,I like the guy.Also macs gunaxe.And "help me obi wan kenobi".

*Ive found the perfect formula to improve anything.Just watch something bad first,and then when I watch something good after it will be even better.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed May 18, 2016 1:24 pm

krellen wrote:Point-of-fact: Spider-Man was not compensated for his involvement, and thus it was not "work".
Fun fact: It was different in the comic.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 pm

This one sure was fun. Had me on the edge of the seat. Although bringing Hive to their base was a monumentally stupid idea. Of course he was going to get free. Also I feel the base fell REALLY too easily.

Also Daisy trying to get back to Hive was a bit of an inspired idea, showing how much he fucked up her mind.

As for the new director that is an interesting idea and certainly a valid one considering how much trouble Hive caused through Coulson's decisions. I don't think it's Talbot, he doesn't have the mind for the sneaky stuff necessary for director of SHIELD. Did anyone of the ruling council of SHIELD from Season 2 survive? It's not Mack, May? The speculation I have seen have Maria Hill to be the director.

The gunaxe was fun for a moment reveal but terribly unpractical.

Also any ideas on what is going on after the timeskip? Apart from the Daisy/Coulson stuff. Like her new look by the way. What is Radcliffe making now. I was sure he was going to get dragged away by the Primitives and be made into one of them. As a sort of poetic justice.

The end of Hive was nice also.

Oh and Coulson trolling hive with the hologram.

My only major problem with this episode is certain amount of blindness in decisions made at the end of the first episode, and the musical chairs passing of the macguffin cross. So we keep on guessing. WHO. WILL. DIE.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 am

4th Dimension wrote:Also any ideas on what is going on after the timeskip? Apart from the Daisy/Coulson stuff. Like her new look by the way. What is Radcliffe making now. I was sure he was going to get dragged away by the Primitives and be made into one of them. As a sort of poetic justice.

Looks like Radcliffe was working on Life Model Decoys.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 am

JadedDM wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Also any ideas on what is going on after the timeskip? Apart from the Daisy/Coulson stuff. Like her new look by the way. What is Radcliffe making now. I was sure he was going to get dragged away by the Primitives and be made into one of them. As a sort of poetic justice.

Looks like Radcliffe was working on Life Model Decoys.

He wasn't working on them. That is the tech SHIELD had allready in development. He is using it to do something with that AI.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 19, 2016 10:03 am

4th Dimension wrote:This one sure was fun. Had me on the edge of the seat. Although bringing Hive to their base was a monumentally stupid idea. Of course he was going to get free.

I disagree.I mean yeah,from a genre savvy perspective,we knew what was gonna happen.But they didnt.And it should be the best secured place when attacks from the outside are happening.They did not expect one from the inside.

4th Dimension wrote:Also Daisy trying to get back to Hive was a bit of an inspired idea, showing how much he fucked up her mind.

Indeed.And pretty much how addiction works.

4th Dimension wrote:Like her new look by the way.

Probably just a disguise,since she went rogue.

4th Dimension wrote:He wasn't working on them. That is the tech SHIELD had allready in development. He is using it to do something with that AI.

He was putting aida inside.So,any bets on whether they will subvert this one,or is it another ultron for next season?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu May 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:I disagree.I mean yeah,from a genre savvy perspective,we knew what was gonna happen.But they didnt.And it should be the best secured place when attacks from the outside are happening.They did not expect one from the inside.

I would agree if this was any other show. If this was Bad Idea Barry I would expect them to put Hive right in the middle of some other frozen Inhumans just so he has acess to an army if/when he gets loose. But Coulson and the gang have proven that they do have the savy to know the consequences of Hive getting loose. And in fact they say they do, they have plans how to keep him under indefinitely. Which is why their decision to keep him in an OPEN hangar next to some UNCHECKED new cargo is highly suspect. If you have something like Hive he needs to be placed immediately in a clean enviroment that has a killswitch (flood the room with plasma) in case he gets loose and the containment MUST NOT FALL no matter what happens.
And SHIELD did/planned to do it before, when they planed to stick Hulk into that open room and then drop him is he doesn't cooperate.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Probably just a disguise,since she went rogue.

It does fit her new mental state of grief, regret and brooding so it might be a more permanent thing.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:He was putting aida inside.So,any bets on whether they will subvert this one,or is it another ultron for next season?

Ahh that is what I was looking for. Maybe something to justify bringing back the Deathlock.

As for the promise of Secret warriors on which this season started it didn't really pan out. Hive put a cramp into that and though they were crucial in the effort to foil him they were also crucial in bringing him back to Earth. Also most of them are rogue/exploded/PTSDed except of Elena who is presumably still alive. So in many ways the SHIELD is basically back to square one except now they have expirience with working with gifted in their teams. Also another thing is that Daisy is now a threat in he own right, but the is no where near to being an actual leader, which we expected her to become during this season.

On the other hand one of the things that kept bugging me is how they (the writers) show off the powers which is in many ways uninspired. I don't know if it's sticking to the shlocky source material but Daisy is like the prime example. The supposedly has the ability to vibrate the matter at atomic level. So she should be basically able to shake the Hive leteraly apart. His bicrobes should be compeltly useless against somebody that can rip him apart on atomic level. Yet most of the time they show her throwing simple blasts around making her bacially same as Lincoln or any other "caster" that throws something, making her power seem too mudane. There were moments when she did something nobody else could, mostly when she causes indescriminade destruction of property through quakes. Apart form that we had catching Rosalind, bouncing gunfire and that leap in the end. But apart from that her power is kind of boring compared to the resto of the Inhumans (sans Lincoln another "vanilla" caster), which is strange for ostensibly a main character that is supposedly important to the Inhumans.

Similar is that Asussie demolition expert on Hive's side. He can turn normal objects into IEDs, yet for some reason he now wields a flaming chain?!? How does that work?!?

It seems to me that either they did not have enough imagination what to do with all these powered people. Or the budget was tight, which shouldn't really be an excuse with enough imagination. Or they wanted to prevent power creep or something similar.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 19, 2016 3:27 pm

4th Dimension wrote:I don't know if it's sticking to the shlocky source material but Daisy is like the prime example.

Oh yes,daisy bugs me so much.She could do so much with her powers.Imitate voices,heat/cool things,cause/contain explosions,heck she should be able to remotely hack stuff either by manipulating keyboards or by directly manipulating the power source.She has an incredible power set,yet she keeps using it in the most basic,and most boring,way possible,relying mostly on her fists to punch things.Im ok with her using such a crude method in the beginning,and when she was in a traumatized mode,but at other times?Its really frustrating.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu May 19, 2016 9:29 pm

What can I say about the last 3 episodes of SHIELD? They had some really good parts and some really bad parts. I can understand why it has lost enough ratings to be cancelled. I still like it. However I'm making excuses for it and I know it. They've caught whatever Heroes caught that killed that show.

First the bad stuff. The cross macguffin... <shakes head> so badly done. I feel like some shit went down with the executives or something. (Put this in to make a suit happy.) Terrible implementation. (Hot potato? Really?) At the very end it paid off, except the interest on that debt meant it wasn't worth paying off. All the lead up (which was 90% of it) should have been cut. The "Absolution" twist was terrible. It was a case of everyone reading the script while some lost the last 2 pages. Along with the poor use of Lash it feels like there's a good team but one shitty director or something that keeps shitting the bed that likes giving characters the idiot ball. How many times did someone do something stupid to watch pathos? I lost count.

The SHIELD base is nonsensical. It is apparently 1) in the middle of nowhere, 2) very deep underground a bar, and 2) 40 stories up with aircraft access. It has also got vents with a boiler system (boilers use radiators). It is also airtight which was established previously, while not being airtight. Plus of course everything everyone else said in this thread about it. I really hope they get a new set for next season. I was never really crazy about the base. Every episode with any action in the base made me hate the damn thing.

The whole Daisy vs Hive thing at the end was truly inspired. Perfect word for it 4th Dimension. Also the "designed to kill you specifically" weapon was cool and made sense from a plot perspective if it was a bit of a stretch.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 20, 2016 5:35 am

Yeah, sadly, the better series, although I'm not surprised it didn't get as many ratings.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 pm

I'm mostly annoyed about the macguffin because I knew about the marketing campaign and I found it silly. Had I not known that it wouldn't have affected me as much.

Yeah the base doesn't make much sense. Probably because the writing team never settled on what and where it is, but keep adding new "cool" features. The biggest problem actually is the elevator from the bar thing. The rest could be justified with the landing pad being on the top of an building complex + SHIELD stealth tech. But then again I can chart this under Hollywood not thinking things through and forget it.

I still like AoS a lot. I like the characters and how they work and deal with issues. Yes this season did not live up to the expectations of Secret Warriors, but it was still fun non the less. Also the main reason I think I hated Hive sections was because he kept monologuing about how good a thing he was planning to do, and there was NOONE around him to gainsay him. Which is why I liked his "final" showdown with Coulson. Finally somebody who is not mindcontroled to discuss with and get a better of him.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 20, 2016 8:26 pm

I want to know where Hive kept all the replacement coats.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:I don't know if it's sticking to the shlocky source material but Daisy is like the prime example.

Oh yes,daisy bugs me so much.She could do so much with her powers.Imitate voices,heat/cool things,cause/contain explosions,heck she should be able to remotely hack stuff either by manipulating keyboards or by directly manipulating the power source.She has an incredible power set,yet she keeps using it in the most basic,and most boring,way possible,relying mostly on her fists to punch things.Im ok with her using such a crude method in the beginning,and when she was in a traumatized mode,but at other times?Its really frustrating.

Agreed. Which is why I'm willing to give the writers a bit of a credit because they were trying to prevent the power creep that would sideline the SHIELD as her support team. But not that much to justify them not doing anything smart with her power set. Well there was that time when she fled SHIELD and you could see on her face that she was finally letting loose, wrecking the hangar and loving it.

@Ringwraith considering that the dude is basically a writhing mass of microorganisms that can rebuild anything, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't able to remake them himself. Also did they only blow it up once during that Kree episode, so it could be like two coats.
Or he has an Inhuman suborned tailor making things for him ;)
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri May 20, 2016 11:05 pm

4th Dimension wrote:Also did they only blow it up once during that Kree episode, so it could be like two coats.

But also the bullet holes.
Lots of those too.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:29 am

Well,people did ask for someone more known to appear in the show.He is no Nic Cage,but on the plus side,he is no Nic Cage.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:34 pm

If you are refering to the Ghost Rider (not a spoiler he is being pasted all over all of the promotion media) from what I know the Interenet has been having a hissy fit about him being in AoS and not on Netflix. I kind of agree, he does seem a weird choice for AoS.

The episode is REALLY trying to hammer in the idea that the Director is a bad guy, probably so we take anything he says or does in the next episode as nefarious, but It's not really working for me because they aren't really giving any reasons for not trusting him to that degree.
Also Fitz, that will DEFINITELY not blow up in your face and make Simmons mad with you. Definitely.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:53 pm

4th Dimension wrote:(not a spoiler he is being pasted all over all of the promotion media)

It wouldve been for me,because I didnt see any of those.I was pleasantly surprised to see him in the first five minutes.

But I have a question:How is he a rider if he is driving a car?

4th Dimension wrote:The episode is REALLY trying to hammer in the idea that the Director is a bad guy, probably so we take anything he says or does in the next episode as nefarious, but It's not really working for me because they aren't really giving any reasons for not trusting him to that degree.

I expect him to be a puppet for simmons.Or talbot.

4th Dimension wrote:Also Fitz, that will DEFINITELY not blow up in your face and make Simmons mad with you. Definitely.

Maybe it wont.After all,the bot in the comics is supposed to be used by the good guys.And seeing a secret that ends up being beneficial is something Id like to see more of in media.Especially on tv.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:30 pm

You can also say that someone is riding in a car you know? BUt yes apparently the signature vehicle of the GR is a bike, so I'm not excatly certain why did they not go with a bike? Maybe it's easier to do special effects on a car than a flaming skull, and you can hide that skull in a car?

At best it's likely to wreck his relationship with Gema after she finds out that HE of all people has been keeping secrets from SADIST.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:43 pm

Though it is a sweet looking car,especially when on fire.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”