Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Detail)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
User avatar
Sudanna

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Sudanna » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:05 pm

Correction: It feels different. It is not, in fact, any different.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:10 am

Damn it!A cliffhanger ending!
User avatar
Ringwraith

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:44 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Damn it!A cliffhanger ending!

..really?
No. Just, no.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:25 pm

Not really, more a teaser for the next season. And since we got that scene that likely means there will be a next season.

And it would likely deal with what Michael was doing during the war and how he got killed, and likely with more Arena club troubles.
Also the moment chief wen't for that switch I though "And there goes Chief, about to make a heroic sacrifice and flatten a triangle into a line." But surprisingly that did not happen. And looking back it made more sense since she had more time with Chief than with Dr, whose relationship with her consisted of that one night.


And so back to the AoS. "Ward" is a host to the the new threat. And they are finally going to start gathering up a team. At least that is what the teasers are teasing about. Expect plenty of "We are struggling together" moments.
User avatar
Ringwraith

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Okay, good.
Unresolved main plots are a dire personal bugbear.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Okay, good.
Unresolved main plots are a dire personal bugbear.


Yeah,sorry for using a bit misleading wording.The main things about this season get tied,but the ending is an extreme cliffhanger for the next season.Think picard gets borgified cliffhanger.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 pm

Again I wouldn't call it cliffhanger, since the action did not stop right before the resolution with the good guys in a difficult situation. Last episode did end on a cliffhanger, but this isn't one. This sort of ties up loose ends and gives a reason for the next season. It's not that the last thing seen is not big, it's that it doesn't have an immediate impact. But watch it and see.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:18 pm

So new AOS season started, and it got me hooked with the first scene. I just hope it's not somehow fake, like somebody punched that plane so hard it went there.
Also it's, if judging by the first episode, much more Inhuman focused since we meet two new ones.

Also it seems our dangerous friend now residing in Ward can also potentially mind control, or similar the Inhumans. Now it makes sense why they were scared of him and wanted him out at any cost.

This new revelation about Inhumans, about how their powers are supposed to balance themselves out is interesting especially in view of our previous discussion about Lash. Too many with the possibility of becoming Inhumans, throw in the Lash gene to thin the population out.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:48 am

I liked yoyo.Quite an interesting spin on the speedster shtick.

Not much to say about the episode,since it was mostly setup.It was solid.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:08 am

I also liked that it's not the usual speedster, because actual speedsters are the best way to completly break any balance between the power sets since speedsters are basically unbeatable by physical means if they aren't constantly doing stupid shit. Yes I'm looking at you Barry, "let me just stand right here in front of the bad guy like a dumbass while he spins the trap on me that will deprive me of my powers" Allen. But the way her power works the enemy can make reasonable plans that don't count on her being an idiot to capture/kill her, and expect some success. In fact we see excatly that in this episode where both Tremors and Gorgon take her down easily. Hell even Mack was able to hold his own for a while.

Also Mack seems to be turning into their version of Cisco by assuming the mantle of The Namer.

The weakest thing in that episode was the goofy way HYDRA did their capturing at the end.
Steve C

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Steve C » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:04 pm

It's a really cool weakness too. The more excited she gets, the faster her heart rate goes up and the less she can accomplish.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Steve C wrote:It's a really cool weakness too. The more excited she gets, the faster her heart rate goes up and the less she can accomplish.


And a cool* way to improve on that is to actually cool her down,slow her heart rate.I might be wrong,but I think one of the characters got that idea as well.

*Pun intended.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:00 pm

So about that new episode?

Liked Talbot/Coulson dynamic quite a bit. Also it seems we are going to go with evil Russians trope again. What a surprise, and I had high hopes at the beginning of the episode.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:35 pm

4th Dimension wrote:So about that new episode?

Liked Talbot/Coulson dynamic quite a bit. Also it seems we are going to go with evil Russians trope again. What a surprise, and I had high hopes at the beginning of the episode.


Keep in mind what they did the last time they had an obviously evil character bent on usurping shield.We still dont know what is the end goal after getting all the inhumans in one place.

What I really like is the argument over the vaccine,because both points were valid,and they did not give a definitive answer in the end.They argued,then they stopped arguing because it was pointless.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 am

Lincoln's point was a bit wonky though. He was arguing that the vaccine might help if anyone got any unwanted powers like Lash did. But that is not something the vaccine can do. It can only prevent the development of powers, but once you have gone through the terrigenesis that is it. And so far nobody has ever said anything in the vein that you can predict somebody's powers.
The vaccine can only help prevent the transformation for those that fear change. I fear that if announced to the public, most of it would want ot be vaccinated because they might fear becoming "like those destructive aliens" and there would be a lot of peer pressure for everyone to do that. Therefore I fear most of the people that decline the vaccine would be the ones who are in it for the power at any cost, and they are the precisely the people you do not want to get powers.

But yeah I did like that they discussed it and even though they did not agree there were no great temper tantrums and face heel moments which are all too often in entertainment. You know the whole "I disagree with the main character, therefore I must become the evilest motherfucker around. Also I really need to start eating children and grow a mustache so I can twirl it while taunting the main character".
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:47 am

Keep in mind that lincoln is one of those who never wanted powers,and regrets having them.So having the vaccine would definitely benefit those who think like him.Which was his first point.

And while mentioning lash was wrong,his point still stands:you dont want someone who is a career criminal to develop powers and stage a prison break,or worse.

Allowing only those who are both prepared to go through the process and are unlikely to misuse the powers to even attempt it is not such a crazy idea.I mean,we have both physical and mental evaluation for people who are about to operate heavy machinery,so why not the same for people who are about to become heavy machinery?
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:26 pm

Except Daisy certanly did not want her powers. In fact when she stepped in to that terragenesys chamber with Riana she had no idea what would happen to her.

Screening people might work, but only once the humanity goes through it's xenophobia phase and is able to look rationally at the Inhumans. Also the difference between such permits and the inhumans and vaccine situation is that with permits you are issuing permission once the candidate satisfies the conditions. Thus the candidate can retry at a later date.
With vaccine it would be an all or nothing situation where if you pass this time you get powers forever and if you fail at this time you loose the possibility forever and it's permanent.
Steve C

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Steve C » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:14 pm

4th Dimension wrote:So about that new episode?

Liked Talbot/Coulson dynamic quite a bit. Also it seems we are going to go with evil Russians trope again. What a surprise, and I had high hopes at the beginning of the episode.

While Talbot mentioned that, I viewed that as just him babbling about everyone. I thought that guy was really advocating for Genosha.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Oh he was "honest" back then. Russians basically recognize that Inhumans are modern era WMDs, and more of them a nation has the better. As such his intentions weren't evil per say. They were willing to provide temporary protection to the Inhumans in exchange for possible future favors.

BUt since he is cozying up to the Malick I can easily see him slide back into "corrupt morally bankrupt enemy politician" trope.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:27 pm

The ending of this episode didn't really work for me. The "resolution" feels heavily forced in order to get Bobby and Hunter of on their adventure. The whole someone has to pay, but I'll still let them go is stupid as fuck. Not to mention that the political background is also stupid. Petrov's plan does not have the backing of the Russian prime minister and yet he is sent on a high level conference where he presents his plan as the opinion of Russian Federation. Stupid.
Weakest episode so far for me.
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Supahewok » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Eh, it did feel a little forced but not particularly bad. I thought it was decent, although Hunter and Bobbi's decision to leave seemed rushed.

Still though, I'm kinda glad they've been put on a bus. The cast was getting crowded, especially if they add any more Inhumans in recurring roles.

I'm not sure if their new show is gonna work out, though. As far as I can tell it's basically Burn Notice in the Marvel universe. Spy thrillers are a dime a dozen, I have a hard time believing that it's gonna be able to grab enough attention to stay on the air for long without something more to distinguish it.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:17 pm

They were kind of getting out of their depth. Hunter at least was, but for him he was out of his depth ever since SHIELD stopped being a small group hunted by everybody. Bobby could probably still cut it with her near peak human performance. But yeah they were at best badass normals in a cast of more and more super powered Inhumans.
I'm also not excatly excited to see where they go of with this. They will really need to add SOMETHING to spice things up like let's say a good antagonist or something. Because otherwise how can their stakes ever compare to those SHIELD faces.

Anyway now that we have met Malick's daughter, my money is on one of them not being long for this world.
Steve C

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Steve C » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:37 pm

I also wasn't crazy about the episode. The long-goodbye seemed wrong somehow besides not making sense. Scapegoats that go free aren't scapegoats. I liked Hunter or any character that is on the same team but has a different conflicting perspective. It adds to the show when two characters can argue and they both be right.* Sky and Lincoln arguing an episode or 2 ago is something they need more of, not in terms of screentime like that argument was but in terms of X is happy with action Z, Y is unhappy with action Z. (Mac & Jenna hating anything alien is another good one.) Hunter was the only one who valued personal relationships over the greater good.

4th Dimension wrote:Anyway now that we have met Malick's daughter, my money is on one of them not being long for this world.

Malick will be killed off. Cute girls always get more screen time than pudgy old guys.

*This is why the original Stargate-1 cast worked, and later versions weren't nearly as good. Three characters would agree, and one would have a unique and often conflicting perspective. It makes it interesting when the conflict is on different axis each time. Feelings vs logic. Nuance vs absolutism. Short term vs long term. Pragmatism vs optimism.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:15 pm

This was a nice episode. At first I thought the weapon was gravitonium based or something, but a nice callback to Agent Carter and nitrimine.
We get another discussion about what to do, and I have to say I'm with Mack on this one.
Daisy is seriously getting too aggressive, and as I have been saying for a while now all the accumulated karma of it not blowing up in her face for now will hit her HARD eventually.
And we get the surprise appearance of shotgun axe. A weapon with a name much awesome than it is effective..
Steve C

Re: Agents of SHIELD (Spoilers Here, In Extra Ludicrous Deta

Postby Steve C » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:41 pm

Mac getting shot in the arm and then basically fainting didn't sit well with me. Other than that... pretty good.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sudanna and 1 guest