RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: RWBY

Postby Thomas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:08 pm

I agree with your comments on the music too. I remember growing to like the first two themes rather than liking them immediately so I'm waiting to see if it changes but it doesn't seem too likely though
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:28 am

I like what they're doing with the opponents. I wonder if they'll have a role further in the season or if they're making really cool throwaways.

Was there no episode this weekend? What's up with that?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:25 am

Just skipping the week instead of putting a filler lore episode thing maybe?

Although I'd just highly prefer them delaying the whole series until it was ready for every single week, personally.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm

They skipped the episode this week to do some kind of charity thing, I believe.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:18 pm

alexshiro wrote:I like what they're doing with the opponents. I wonder if they'll have a role further in the season or if they're making really cool throwaways.

I was thinking the same thing; trying to determine which of the teams they faced were throwaways or whether they'd show up again. I looked into it, and Team NDGO, at least, was designed by fans, which is a pretty cool way of doing it, I think. (Also leads me to categorize them under "cool throwaway" but who knows)
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:55 pm

Well it was fun seeing the Schweisster. I love her character design and the relationship with Weiss isn't what I was expecting at all. Qrow's wasn't quite so good, but was he about to turn his sword into a scythe before he chose to stop? Like that whole duel was a fighting-left-handed deal?
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:29 pm

Qrow <3 He's totally my new second favorite character.

BTW, is anybody else having shit framerates and stutter at times? Is that on my side or theirs?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Their player might not like your system if you try and make it fullscreen and/or higher resolutions.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:03 am

I caught up on this weeks episode and -

- I think we've just seen the first narratively good episode of RWBY?

Like that was really good. And not because of visuals and musics and character designs and fighting. Because that was interesting and meaningful interaction between characters who are important to each other.

If they keep this up I might have to care about the worldbuilding too
A. Hieronymus Bosch

Postby A. Hieronymus Bosch » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:03 am

Just finished episode 5; I've been severely underwhelmed by this season.

I'll say right up front that the fight scenes are too long.

The best bits so far have been the character interactions between Crow, Winter, and the rest of the main cast. And all of that takes up a very small amount of screen time.

On top of that it feels like they're trying to incorporate too many new characters without proper introductions, so we end up getting a few words and a tone of voice to convey who these people are. Contrast this with the other seasons where we're given dialogue between opposing viewpoints (Weiss and Blake), visual storytelling (team CFVY, Ozpin, Emerald and Roman), etc.

The combat scenes are too numerous, too long, and too chaotic --when the fighters are doing something other than standing there and taking a hit over and over again, that is. Even worse are the inconsistent power dynamics, lack of set-up for the festival itself (it really should have started on the second or third episode, with the first episode(s) examining the fallout of Season 2's ending), and every episode ending with not!foreshadowing.

It kind of feels like they got a better lead animator who missed the point of the show, and then cut half of their funding.

And then there's the different perspective style....

Also, the fight scenes are too long. Did I already mention that? Because it feels like if I did, I didn't mention it enough. Because those fight scenes are way too long.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:57 am

I'd disagree, but that's just me.

Although the fight scenes are markedly different from before, but that was always going to happen, so I might have just set my expectations lower.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:47 pm

Episode 5's fight was the first fight that I really just didn't care for; though it wasn't the animation or fighting itself (except, I suppose the anticlimax at the end), as much as it was the character design and weapons choice of the other team.

The dust-infused nunchucks were fine (if an odd choice to go with roller skates), but a trumpet with magic soundwaves is kind of a boring weapon, and felt a bit out-of-place. Sure, the show is filled with ridiculous weapons of all sorts; but all the other weapons (that I can think of) have generally fit well with the show's internal logic: given how physics and physiology seem to work in their world, I could see someone using a giant scythe as a weapon, or a giant hammer, or gunchucks, but I really can't see someone using a trumpet; mayonnaise is not an instrument and a trumpet isn't a weapon.

And both their character designs felt out of place, they felt too much like real-world stereotypes (old-school jazz musician and rave girl) that were just dropped into a fantasy setting (Particularly the jazz musician; I think rave girl just annoyed me). Jazz and that clothing style associated with it, is just so tied to African-American culture that it seems really jarring to me to have it show up in a setting that has neither an Africa nor an America.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Geeze Ozpin, that's Ironwood levels of evil. Did you not think that keeping a girl frozen in a pod in a giant green underground vault so that you can drain her power might maybe look a little bad? No wonder you wanted the maidens to 'disappear'.

I thought the fight was good in this one, but I actually liked the Jazz music fight. The thing about most of them this series though is that there's not a lot of build-up or stakes so the ones with stakes always feel stronger.

Also time has made the theme tune a little better, but I'm now ready to admit it's definitely well below par
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Yeah, the opening's not as strong for sure.

The fights are sort of 'obligatory fight scene per episode', but work well for excuses, and they're starting to up the stakes on them. They also like using them for show personalities through.

As for spoiler time I'm not sure they're under any illusions they look like the good guys, adopting a "we do what we have to" kind of approach. Though honestly the story just made me think Ozpin is connected to the guy somehow, as his name breaks all conventions deliberately. Also "Fall" is a ridiculous name, I mean "Spring" is kinda bad, but there's already a better alternative in "Autumn" for a fanciful name. Also it took me too long twig Cinder Fall is for the colour association for the season, because I'm not used to that being a noun like that. Totally took this episode for me to notice.

But any questions will have to wait for two weeks! :(
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:39 pm

I had the same vibes about Ozpin, although with less reasons and more that he just announced that story suspiciously

-also, what a way to bring it up in conversation.

"What's you're favourite colour?"
"Well I liked red, but there's a deep navy blue th-"
"Let's talk about green."

Come on Ozpin, what were the odds she was going to pick your fairytale :p
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Yeah, I'm still trying to adjust to this new world where I'm interested in RWBY's story :P

I think Cinder is trying to solve the 4 step-plan problem recursively.

Step 1: Recruit crew
Step 2: Gain Magical Powers
Step 3: ...
Step 4: Profit!

But what could ... be? Don't worry, Cinder has a 4 step plan for that.

Step 1: Recruit Crew
Step 3
-> Step 1: Beat up Fangs
-> Step 2: Recruit Fangs
-> Step 3: ...
-> Step 4: Profit!

But what could ... be? Don't worry Cinder has a 4 step plan.

Step 1: Recruit Crew
Step 3
-> Step 1: Beat up Fangs
-> Step 2: Recruit Fangs
-> Step 3:
->-> Step 1: Create Grim invasion
->-> Step 2: Cheat at children's school fight contest
->-> Step 3: ....
->-> Step 4: Profit!
-> Step 4: Profit!

But what could ... be?...

And so on, recursive to infinity.

You've got to give it to Cinder Fall, she takes evil plotting to the limit.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:31 am

She's repeatedly hedging her bets.
Especially with the Grimm, as causing panic with them has a habit of attracting more. Thus causing a disaster at the tournament.
Although it's clear she wants the rest of the power she stole from the Autumnal maiden, which is likely achieved if she dies, even without stealing the rest of it.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Her plans are convoluted enough that I still can't fully guess whether the autumnal power is her end goal or merely another step in the plan. I'm not completely convinced that she was trying to recruit the Fangs to help her in the fight and the evil Atlas guy must be involved somehow. I'd go for world/country domination or destruction of some sort, she seems like the type
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

I imagine she's not going to disappear into the wilderness if she acquired all of her remaining powers, obviously, but as mentioned, it's never good when someone with ill intent manages to obtain the mantle of one of the seasonal maidens.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Poor neglected thread.
Anyway, so they started posting up disclaimers a while back saying the series had gotten some far younger fans than they expected, and as such future episodes such be vetted by people before letting them watch them in the future.
They weren't kidding.
It's certainly doing things I wasn't expecting.
Last one of this 'year' next week!
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:51 pm

I really don't like where they went since S2 finale.

Looks like they're going to suffer from the jump. After Taurus vs Yang, looks like they'll be blowing up planets to keep up the threat level in a season or two.

And speaking of Taurus, he should have stayed in the backstory. Pretty disappointing that he's just a creep. They had made him seem interesting

After all the teasing, it turns out that Velvet is Mokujin.

At least Neo is still cool and her fight looked great. And Qrow's thing finally turned into a scythe.
Last edited by alexshiro on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 am

Well, you learn something new every day.
Seeing from what name you've been using, didn't know Taurus was Adam's name, but it's not come up in it yet.
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:55 am

Odd. Did they not call him that? Did they call him anything actually? I guess I only found his name by wikiwalking, and remembered the cool half of it.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:41 am

Nope! Still haven't!
Just the first one.
Anyway, I don't think it's all entirely being a creep, as observed by the fact he's still willing to kill her if she gets too much in the way, he's just clearly gone on a bit of downward spiral about her since she left due to his murderous tendencies, but the murderous bit was the reason to begin with anyway. He will have his bloody revolution. She's secondary.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Well that was a way to end for the year.
Certainly something I'd far more easily recommend at this point seeing more of where it's going.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”