RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Retsam

Re: RWBY

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:07 pm

I did go ahead and watch this one, and yeah, while there were a few nuggets of information in there, and most of it negative (e.g. "we know this one way how grimm aren't formed"), it was like 15%/85% signal to "stuff you already knew" ratio.

I suspect a topic like "Grimm", where they almost certainly are planning to save most of the explanation for the series itself, just doesn't work for this format of "bonus" information. Personally, I think a topic like going into depth on the academies, how many there are, their format, how many years it is, etc, would work a lot better.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Holy shit that episode! RWBY's mother?

That guy on TV Tropes who complained about the unrealistic combat physics is going to lose his marbles over that one.

I'd make a joke about how terrible their strategy of soloing each mook was, instead of ganking them and dealing with the, you know giant invasion problem. But it actually blew up in their faces. That was a thing that happened.

You have to admire the sheer kamikaze tenacity of luring the hordes of wild monsters towards the city behind your invasion forces.

The umbrella lady rocks!

RWBY finally learnt to get over her tragic past and see her dog as a person, ready to take on responsibility and worthy of her trust- wait no that's The Last of Us

Rocket dog!

Weiss is amazing!

Blake is great!
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm

It was a pretty awesome episode. Is it just me, or did the animation seem better somehow?

Also, just to be nitpicky, but "RWBY" is the name of their team (and the show) while the character herself is named "Ruby."
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:27 pm

I almost made that mistake in a previous post but I corrected myself. It's a potshot what spelling my mind chooses to throw up
modus0

Postby modus0 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 pm

Hey, they threw in the Wilhelm Scream.

Nice to see the Professor (Doctor!) showing that yes, he can fight.

And I suspect that woman wasn't Ruby's mom, but Yang's (though, I could be wrong). Interesting that Neapolitan actually seemed to be afraid of her.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:43 am

Yeah I assumed it was hers.
I mean, who else would appear out of nowhere to save her and purposefully disappear before she realises?
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 am

Why would either of their mothers be wearing a grim mask, though? Doesn't that imply an association with the White Fang? Unless Ruby or Yang are secretly part faunus.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40 am

Might be some other reason for doing so.
After all, the White Fang wear them because it's them 'becoming the monsters they were always treated as'.
Guessing from Neo's reaction, she might be their 'monster'.
Or her own. Hence the whole disappearing act thing.
Ozpin also mentions he's made many more mistakes than any other single person has.

I'll stop throwing random likely unconnected threads out now.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:14 am

Ruby's mother being dead is another good reason why it's not likely to be her.

The Grim mask could be a sign of her going half feral and living amongst the grim?
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Thomas wrote:Ruby's mother being dead is another good reason why it's not likely to be her.

The Grim mask could be a sign of her going half feral and living amongst the grim?

Actually; as I can tell, Ruby's mother is presumed dead, not confirmed dead, so mystery woman being Summer Rose is a theory floating out there. (Though a not a hugely popular one)

The big ideas I've seen floated are:
  • Yang's mother (who could be the leader of the White Fang?)
  • Ruby's mother
  • Time traveling Blake

There's definitely obvious parallels between the mystery woman and Adam, that could be due to a White Fang connection, mere coincidence (White fangs base their masks on Grimm, mystery woman also bases mask on Grimm for other reasons), or there is seeming some sort of connection between Ruby and Adam based on them both having rose symbols (though they're confirmed to be "not related"), which could point back at the "Ruby's mother" idea, I suppose.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:27 pm

I kind of liked it being Ruby's mother because it could be a version of Red Riding Hood where Red Ridings Hoods mother slays the wolf and wears its skin for a mask =D But in the circumstances it's hard not imagining it as Yang's mother.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:17 am

Thomas wrote:I kind of liked it being Ruby's mother because it could be a version of Red Riding Hood where Red Ridings Hoods mother slays the wolf and wears its skin for a mask =D But in the circumstances it's hard not imagining it as Yang's mother.

Ah, that would be a nice touch. But yeah, while the overall aesthetic of the mystery woman definitely felt more Ruby than Yang, the circumstances of her showing up to save Yang and then mysteriously disappear definitely points at being Yang's mother more than Ruby's.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:37 am

As I feared, it ends again when it seems to be going somewhere.
This is too long to waaaait. :(

Also they ruined a surprise in their end of series credits again. Regardless, begin the wild theories now, I'm sure people will have a field day with this.
I'm going to start with a flagrantly ridiculous one: time-shifted one of them, or something of that ilk, only basis being her design pulls from every member of RWBY in some way, making her some strange combination of all of them. (Ruby's penchant for appearing/disappearing and with her whole colour scheme, Yang's entire face and eyes, as well as hair style, wears a Grimm mask in relation to Blake's White Fang history, as well as wielding a wielding a sword with similar varying dust cartridges like Blake and Weiss do).

Also some nice gags in there, as well at least one particularly cruel one.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:11 am

Yang's mother is Ruby's mother! I demand a DNA test! Yang's mother never disappeared, as a joke she pretended she was two different people when she met Ruby's Dad and he Lois Lane'd it and completely fell for it. She kept the joke going but when he fell in love with one of her secret identities, she realised that it would break his heart to tell him that Yang's mother was actually a pair of glasses, a wig and a pillow case stuffed in her bra (doing an accent).

So he kept up the pretence for years rather than hurting the person she loved most. Everyone else on their team knew about it (how could they not? She would go for a cup of tea and then suddenly Summer Rose would appear, out of breath with jacket not properly buttoned. Also, she was just wearing a pair of glasses. Seriously Lois, this isn't rocket science), but they kept it secret for her sake.

After many years she noticed that Ruby's Dad was beginning to flirt with Summer Rose. After a brief feeling of anger that he was even considering cheating on her with herself, Yang's mother realised this was the perfect opportunity (also, Yang was going to notice sooner or later). She staged her death and 'supported' him through it as Summer Rose, like the creep that he was Ruby's Dad started hitting on Summer Rose almost immediately and they married soon after and had another kid.

Think about it, it makes perfect sense, have we ever seen them in a room together at the same time?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I was braced for the end there, it was a great episode. Although I think they needed to keep more Grim in the background, it gave the impression that only a trickle of Grim were appearing, enough for the latest reinforcements to show off.

It was pretty cool that they let Jaune finally take charge as a leader without explicitly pointing out that he was doing that.

All in all, this season has been fantastic, I'm definitely ready to recommend the series to other people
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:24 pm

As much as I love that idea, they were specifically stated to be part of the same team, sooooo, no.

Also apparently Monty himself has let out that Qrow's surname is Branwen.
Which pretty much solves that one then.
Probably should've guessed that one sooner really, but I guess most people thought it was an honorary title.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:50 pm

So how do naming traditions work in this universe? Do people tend to take the mother's name?

I'm just trying to work out how Taiyang Xiao Long ends up being brother and sister with Raven and Qrow Branwen?

Oh wait, I was being thick for a moment, so is Qrow, Ruby's step-Uncle? I guess that would make sense, if Yang wasn't told that Summer Rose wasn't her biological mother until after Summer's death.

So we're looking at team SQRT - squirt? Or STRQ - strike? TRQS - tricks? Maybe just QRST for the alphabetical order?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Naming convention is always something has to be somehow related to a colour, even teams. Though you may have to dig pretty deep at times (as even "Peter" fits this).

Ozpin is the only exception to this rule.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:47 pm

I meant surnames, I was trying to work out how some people could be related by family and I was wondering if Ruby's Dad took the name of his wife, but then I realised where I was going wrong
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:21 pm

I meant in terms of team name, it needs to stand for something which is related to a colour somehow.

Otherwise, people sometimes just choose names on a case-by-case basis, so I'm going to assume that.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:11 am

Finale was somewhat disappointing. It was much worse than the previous several episodes, and even not as good as the volume 1 finale; despite how far the series has come, as a whole, since volume 1. Most of the episode was one long fight scene that wasn't nearly as interesting as it thought it was. It was "look how awesome these people are"; rather than a fight with any tension; and watching people smash a bunch of mooks (as well as smashing the show's general depiction of Grimm as this big huge threat) just isn't that interesting.

It reminded me a ton of the end of the season 1 finale, where they just had Penny show up and destroy a bunch of mooks, but without the part before that where we had that really good fight between Yang, Roman, and Sun. (Gunchucks.) I don't understand the idea that having minor characters show up and kill a bunch of mooks is supposed to be a great finale; but it seems to be their modus operandi.

Oh speaking of the credits... anyone else catch "World of Remnant Mysterious Narrator"? It's sort of a hilarious confirmation of what I've been complaining about about the World of Remnant videos: when the expressed purpose of your video is to provide information about the world, "mysterious" isn't the tone you should be going for.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:45 am

To be fair, she was credited as "Mysterious Narrator" last time, as she was the voice narrating/debating with Ozpin at the very beginning.
So it's a hold over from that really.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:32 pm

RWBY's back!

It looks like they're going to go on without Monty Oum. His character was voiced by his brother in this episode.

They've changed the art style a lot, but generally this was a solid first episode. It's not the same leap from Season 1 to Season 2, but there seems to be some solid improvements.

Apparently Monty already had some work done for the 3rd season though, so I guess it's wait and see on whether the fight animation begins to change as the season goes on.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:37 am

Also they had notes to go onto a fifth, at least.
Really liking their increased confidence in using exaggerated goofy animations.
alexshiro

Postby alexshiro » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:31 pm

I was worried how it'd be but it's at least better than the season 2 finale.

Btw, I think they should steal the Death Battle guy.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:56 pm

Glad to see RWBY back (thanks for posting Thomas, I didn't realize it was back until I saw this thread pop back up).

The animation actually looks really nice; it seems to be a flatter and cleaner art style, which is nice. Fight scenes were pretty decent, if a bit busier than usual; as Thomas says, we'll see if the quality holds up through the whole season.

Oddly; the one thing that stood out to me as not being as good so far this season is the music, which is a shame since that's usually one of my favorite parts. I'm definitely not as fond of the opening as either of the previous two openings, and none of the insert music really stood out to me, either.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”