RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Ringwraith

Re: RWBY

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

Nope, took a week off it seems.
Small background thing instead.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Yeah; I'm guessing lower production value breaks like these are how they're going to keep up with their current release rate. Maybe they'll pick back up with the story next week, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did a months worth of these instead.

I did realize that I never saw Episode 4 until yesterday, and yeah, it was pretty good. I'm wondering if this is going to be an 8 episode volume of double length episodes compared to volume 1's 16 episodes. This did feel like a "halfway point" episode similar to episode 8 of Volume 1.

I also enjoyed the nicknames for the pairings, though I definitely heard the W/Y pairing as "Razerburn" instead of "Freezerburn". In looking that up, (from a reddit thread asking why the WY pairing was "Lazer Bird"), I discovered that the pairing names are taken directly from fandom shipping names. Because of course they are. The pairings were:

WY: Freezer burn
WB: Checkmate
RB: Ladybug
RW: Ice flower
BY: Bumblebee
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:03 am

So, back to the normal schedule; glad my "possibly a month's worth" prediction was wrong. Focus of this episode is pretty solidly Pyrrha, which is nice, since we haven't gotten a ton of team JNPR, other than Jaune. (Though, Jaune DOES pretty well steal the show at one point this episode, imo)

Anyways, random trivia I found when looking something about this weeks episode up; just as the theme for team RWBY is fairy tale heroines (Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Belle, and Goldilocks), JNPR's theme is "crossdressing 'mythological' heroes", specifically Joan of Arc, Thor, Achilles, and Mulan. I have to admit if nothing else, the amount of work they put into character names and allusions (all names need to reference colors in some way, teams seem to have themes like this, and then the acronym needs to spell something) is impressive.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am

Well that clears my issue pretty decisively. Betting against Jaune being stupid, in retrospect, was a terrible terrible idea. I hope they don't drag it out for too long though, I can't bear this kind of plot arc.

I really dig Pyrrha's fighting style and I loved that they had a whole fight of someone just testing the other's strength. It takes a lot of skill to create a fight that is entertaining, displaying unique styles for both fighters _and_ is telling a clear story. They also seem to have found time to create more fight scenes than in the previous series.

Now at the point where I would happily recommend that people who checked out of series 1, check back in
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm going to have to commit to the horrors of double posting because I want to say that I still can't believe how much volume 2 steps up from volume 1. In volume 1 you'd be lucky to get either a fight scene or plot or character development or some funny moments in an episode. It was always one thing. In volume 2 we've got loads of episodes like the latest one where there is a fight scene and plot and character development and funny moments. It's firing on all cylinders
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Double-posting's fine as long there's a significant gap of time.

Though, yeah, great all-round. The title of "Dance Dance Infiltration" does not disappoint.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:44 am

Is it just me, or did the DJs look like Daft Punk to anyone else?
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:05 am

I imagine that's deliberate. So probably not just you.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:57 pm

So there's another supplementary material session this week.
At least be consistent with these!
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 am

Yeah, and it's a shame, cause this one really didn't tell us anything interesting, in my opinion. It was a combination of telling us stuff we already knew with vague statements like "Most kingdoms rely on their own citizens, but others find it important to be... prepared", which really doesn't tell us anything.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 pm

So, this week's episode was, uhh, a ride. First half is non-stop comedic; followed by an oddly more serious second half. I felt like they were definitely hinting at something about Oobleck never asking Ruby why she became a huntress - it's pointed out multiple times in the episode - but for the life of me I'm not sure what. But definitely a fun episode; by the end of the episode Oobleck seems like an interesting character, and not just a walking punchline.

I suppose there wasn't commentary here on last week's episode. At the time, I didn't think there was much to say about it; it was a pretty standard episode for this volume; but there was one big thing that I forgot about: in-universe justification for the color-naming rule. Which is... cool, I guess? Though it kind of feels like a midi-chlorean explanation, an "answer to a question no one was asking". When you leave it unexplained, no one's going to question it; it's just assumed to be part of medium; but now that they've explained why the names are all based on color, it opens up questions like "well, why do characters names always spell out meaningful acronyms?", which aren't explained by the color-rule explanation.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Is Professorship different in the USA or did the RWBY guys not know that Professors outrank Doctors?
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Thomas wrote:Is Professorship different in the USA or did the RWBY guys not know that Professors outrank Doctors?

It might be? For us, "Dr." means you have a doctorate, (Ph. D, MD, PharmD, etc.) which is the highest education in any given field; whereas "Professor" generally implies some post-grad work, but not necessarily a doctorate. (e.g. Masters degree, generally)
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:35 pm

From the Wikipedia article on "Professor", in the Australia section:
This has been criticised. It has also been lauded.
I'm not sure how many answers there are to find, there.

But seriously, in the USA, "professor" can refer to pretty much any college instructor, right?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:45 pm

I'm sure the why are you a huntress thing will pay off in one or two episodes time, probably after Ruby and the Professor go through some traumatic experience. That feels like good pacing to me.

This is also feels like the first real world-building episode RWBY has ever had. We've had exposition dump episodes, but this is the first time it's felt like their world actually has a different feel from ours. Even then without the expo-dump a few weeks back I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but today you could understand that RWBY's world has a much more restricted scope and view than our own.

The elephants were incredible. I'm not sure if that vibe was sad or malevolent which I love. I'm wondering if that's tying right into RWBY's character arc somehow?
Retsam wrote:
Thomas wrote:Is Professorship different in the USA or did the RWBY guys not know that Professors outrank Doctors?

It might be? For us, "Dr." means you have a doctorate, (Ph. D, MD, PharmD, etc.) which is the highest education in any given field; whereas "Professor" generally implies some post-grad work, but not necessarily a doctorate. (e.g. Masters degree, generally)

Yeah that's different. In the UK any schmuck with a PhD is a Doctor but to become a Professor you have to be granted a 'Chair' at a University which comes from say, being the academic leader of a department. A lot of my lecturers are Doctors but only a very select few are professors.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:08 pm

Though the funny thing with titles like this that, you can have the title of Doctor from a PhD, but if you for the level "beyond" that, you technically 'lose' that impressive-sounding title.
I can't blame anyone for wanting to stick with Dr.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:12 pm

Prof. sounds so much cooler. Doctors are Dr's and there are tons of those all over the place
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:14 pm

Well he's obviously of the mindset of using the one he prefers.
Can't really argue with it.

Alternatively, he prefers to be called a doctor outside of the academy itself, which is possible.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 am

"What's that lassie? Ruby has fallen down the well?"
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:40 am

Looks like it's 3 weeks of episodes and then one week supplementary, with the first two episodes as 'bonuses'
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:57 am

I suspected another would land this week.
I'd honestly prefer just starting the whole thing later.
Random gaps in programming aren't great.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:14 am

They'd be fine if the writing in them was just a little stronger (so by season 3 they'll probably be great :P). RWBY needs more worldbuilding.

But as it is they don't really do that. It's very easy to switch off and the information is weak 'no-one really knows where Grim come from' is not what I wanted to hear. The one about how civilisations were spread helped me understand what was going on in the past couple of episodes I guess. But the past couple of episodes have been the first ones to use the world in a meaningful way
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:19 am

It feels like they're playing for time, rather than slotting it in smartly into the show itself.
Playing a really heavy story-based JRPG at the moment which had a highly-different prequel which was never localised, they actually do a good job of not losing you even though they throw all sorts of things around. The in-game glossary for certain terms you can bring up during conversations is actually mostly unneeded to understand.
Although it does require paying attention to put the pieces together.

However, it does also have a ridiculous amount of dialogue (there's even visual novel sections!), so that example might not help.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm okay with the schedule of they're doing it; my suspicion is that they're pushing themselves at a pretty serious pace to get as much content out as they can, and as a result can't have a predictable schedule, so they're just sticking these in whenever they need a catch-up week.

I'm not sure how I feel about the content of these, though, in terms of the actual writing. Haven't seen this week's yet, but the last two didn't really provide much in the way of new information. I suspect they're trying to avoid revealing any information that they plan to reveal later in the show, which is a good idea, but usually the solution to that would be to provide side-information that expands the setting, but won't necessarily directly relate to the plot later on, but they don't seem to be doing that, which (if I'm going to continue to blindly speculate.... which I am) is either because:

1) They just haven't done enough world-building to have those sort of details lying around
2) ... or because virtually any "bonus" world-building that they've done requires pre-requisite world-building that they haven't yet introduced in the show yet.

The second is probably pretty true, since we still know very little about the setting, but the first being true wouldn't surprise me; there hasn't been very many elements that have really suggested deep world-building yet.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:40 pm

They did drop the line about dust-infusing things like clothes before it was mentioned in an episode proper.
Though that's the only pertinent thing I can think of.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”