RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Kavonde

RWBY

Postby Kavonde » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 pm

I'd known--vaguely--that there was a new Rooster Teeth show called RWBY, but I never really looked into it. Being a bit bored today, I'd been watching through various old "Things to Do" and "RT Life" videos I'd missed since the Let's Plays got their own channel, and when I ran out of those, I figured I'd give it a look. And then I realized that it was a CG anime series by Monty Oum.

If you don't know who Monty Oum is, you're missing out. He's a self-taught animator who first became known for his Dead Fantasy series, in which a bunch of pretty girls from Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive (and, gradually, more games) fight eachother for no apparent reason. There's not exactly a lot of plot (though some starts getting introduced later), but the action more than makes up for it. It's ridiculously over-the-top, incredibly intense and energetic, inventive, dramatic, and somehow constantly keeps upping the stakes even when it doesn't seem like there's anywhere else the fights could go. It's seriously amazing.

A few years back, Rooster Teeth (the guys behind Red vs. Blue) hired him to animate some scenes for the show. That led to this. And more and more. By the next season, Monty was basically given half of the show to tell the story of the Freelancers, and there are more amazing fight scenes than you might believe. Like this one. And this one. And... well, you can just watch the show if ya care.

Anyway, RWBY. It's only six episodes in so far, and there hasn't been a ton of action (though the trailers make up for that a bit), and the premise isn't exactly groundbreaking, but the characters are likable and the voicework is generally pretty good. If pretty girls obliterating monsters in amazing scenes sounds like something you might be interested in, then you might want to give it a look.

Has anyone else given this a watch yet? Or have any opinions on it, or Monty Oum in general?
Last edited by Kavonde on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Re: RWBY

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I loved the Dead Fantasy animations (and I think I even ending up checking some of his earlier stuff), he's just incredibly talented at this thing.

It brings up the thing I hate the most about the Youtube channel/Subscription system though, because if I want to watch this series I'm also going to have to completely clog up my feed with all the rest of the RT stuff that I don't care about. I'd love to be able to sign up just for a playlist but then it would defeat a lot of the point of having a channel in the first place for the content producers
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:45 pm

The only person I've seen talking about RWBY before this is Jesuotaku (TGWTG anime critic, and possibly the smartest person on that site) and she has had...nothing good to say about it. She believes the writing, animation, voice acting and all-around quality of the show to be terrible, and that the only reason the internet wasn't laughing it off the stage was that it was a fan production. Frankly, I'm kinda done with RvB and Rooster Teeth, because the last season was pretty underwhelming and the show really should just end at this point, so I don't really feel all that inspired to see if she was right.

As for Monty Oum, I liked Haloid and most of the fight scenes in RvB, but I got really tired of Dead Fantasy after awhile. It kinda has the DBZ problem of "people get punched in the face like 80 times, and nothing comes of it, and every fight scene is one long back-and-forth", so him doing a new series doesn't excite me that much.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:32 am

Well, I'm not much of an anime guy. I genuinely like Cowboy Bebop--though so does everybody else on the planet, so it hardly counts--and I enjoyed watchin' DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin in high school, but I've never really been able to get into other anime. Just too foreign to my ways of thinking and constructing stories, in large part. So, given my tastes, Monty Oum's ouvre is pretty much right up my alley.

Plus, I like RT as a company. So hey.
modus0

Postby modus0 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:11 am

RedSun wrote:The only person I've seen talking about RWBY before this is Jesuotaku (TGWTG anime critic, and possibly the smartest person on that site) and she has had...nothing good to say about it. She believes the writing, animation, voice acting and all-around quality of the show to be terrible, and that the only reason the internet wasn't laughing it off the stage was that it was a fan production.

Given the program that is used to render and animate the show in is Poser, which does not have that robust of animation controls (or rigging tools for that matter :shudder:), it's pretty damn impressive what they're able to achieve.

I've only watched 3 (I think?) episodes, and while the overly fan-girlish gushy moments aren't something I'm a fan of, the rest of it has been fairly good.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:18 am

It has been interesting watching the show develop from a concept to released product and wish it the best of luck. I found it to be entertaining myself, and hope that its charm can win enough support for more work like this.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 am

Yeah; I've been following this for awhile. I think I saw the White trailer when it first came out, which was quite a bit ago. I've never quite been into the "Action girl" genre; I saw one of the Dead Fantasy movies, and it was interesting but not really my thing.

The things that really stuck out to me about the trailers were: 1) the music, which is pretty phenomenal, and 2) the idea that it's at least attempting to be more than just an action series.

So far, watching the episodes, I'm enjoying it, but still fairly neutral. It really hasn't done anything exceptionally good or bad in my book. Definitely has potential, but at this point, I think the trailers are doing a better job of selling it than what they've produced so far.

(Also, it took me quite awhile before I figured out the show is pronounced "Ruby", like the name of the character, in case anyone else hasn't connected that)
Last edited by Retsam on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:58 am

Retsam wrote:(Also, it took me quite awhile before I figured out the show is pronounced "Ruby", like the name of the character, in case anyone else hasn't connected that)

Great, so it's in Welsh...

;P

Well, not really - but you gotta admit that to an English-speaker, /rʊbɪ/ sounds pretty similar to /ɹubi/
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:26 am

I'm a fan of Monty Oum and RWBY. I like the fights made for Red vs Blue more (watching the Meta get shot in that highway battle over and over makes me cringe in empathy) but the action is still fantastic and the comedy is quite charming.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:21 pm

anaphysik wrote:
Retsam wrote:(Also, it took me quite awhile before I figured out the show is pronounced "Ruby", like the name of the character, in case anyone else hasn't connected that)

Great, so it's in Welsh...

;P

Well, not really - but you gotta admit that to an English-speaker, /rʊbɪ/ sounds pretty similar to /ɹubi/

Not enough w's for that.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Rwyby =D It looks too much like Rygbi to me though (It's actually rhuddem which is much less cool)

EDIT: The B stands for Black and not Blue? That's going to bother me for ever now. It does make more sense I guess because yellow pairs with red and black with white, but still RBY not being Red, Blue, Yellow just seems wrong

EDIT EDIT: So I really like the animation and art style, the music is pretty cool (if the theme song makes it sound like something very different and more dynamic than it has been so far), but the voice acting and writing has been pretty hit and miss. But there have been lots of good parts, it's mostly just inconsistent. Ruby goes through two or three personalities per conversation (normally: outgoing chatterbox, shy unconfident withdrawn and deadpan snarker) and it culminates as random rather than a personality.

But there are good lines too ('I still don't think that's the sound a sloth makes' is probably my favourite so far) and I hope this is the sort of thing they can really improve on quickly once they settle down and as long as they're paying attention and trying to improve
swenson

Postby swenson » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:34 am

Oh hey! Somebody else who watches RWBY!

The show's had some rough spots and it by no means is perfect, but I love Monty's work (and Miles' writing for RvB this season has been amazing so I'm willing to see where he takes this), so I've been watching. It's not groundbreaking or anything, but I've found it pretty enjoyable. Mostly because I just really like the characters. Sure, there hasn't been much plot yet (although it's still quite early in the season) and what there has been hasn't been too shocking yet or anything, but I've really grown to like the characters. Especially Nora. Nora and Yang, we need more of them. We need allll of them.

Oh, and the music... well, it's Jeff Williams, so it goes without saying that I can't get enough of it. Love his stuff for RvB, love his stuff for RWBY.

(On a side note, do enough people watch RvB that we want a thread about it? Because I could talk about that show all day long. Occasionally I do. ;))
Scerro

Postby Scerro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 am

Pretty Girls + Unique Weapons + Fairly Good Combat + Decent English VAs = A show I'll watch.

Man, the last episode was pathetically short. Better than a 20 minute episode that covers the same material...
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:48 am

Yeah, it'd be nice if the episodes were slightly longer; or I suppose just more consistent at least. The previous episode being about 4-5 minutes I believe is pretty in line with the average episode length; but the before it was 7, which makes it seem really short. I think I'd even rather they only update half as often if they were twice as long.
swenson

Postby swenson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:04 am

Well, I think for those who thought the episodes are too short, the last one may have eased that pain a bit!

I really liked seeing everyone actually fighting together for once, with Ruby's insane plan on the one hand to Jaune's surprisingly practical orders under fire. And the fights were just plain fun--Nora is fast becoming my favorite character!
Scerro

Postby Scerro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:58 am

I sort of felt that the previous episode was to build up to this episode. Can't say it wasn't epic. Team RWBY's fighting style is pretty sweet together.

However, Nora is the best character. She's just having too much fun.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:32 am

!! Now it's time to start RWBY evangelising (and JNPR), I hope not too many people turned off before getting here.

This is looking like it's going to be a series that gets better as it goes on, even in that episode it really ramped up to the end. But now they need a good idea to frame everything going on. I hope it's not Monster of the Week and school drama would probably leave a lot of gaps before the really good bits. I'm hoping within 15 episodes the Big Bad does something really crazy and everything after that is a response (like taking over an entire territory and them having to fight it piece by piece). MotW will be fine if it's just an interim thing

EDIT: Ha I've realised Madoka Magica has actually ruined my ability to enjoy other anime. I keep looking at other things and thinking 'that's great and all but couldn't you make it more intense', I'm saying I want the Big Bad to do something crazy but what I actually mean is I want him to devastate a city. Normal stakes have just stopped working for me :P
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Thomas wrote:EDIT: Ha I've realised Madoka Magica has actually ruined my ability to enjoy other anime. I keep looking at other things and thinking 'that's great and all but couldn't you make it more intense', I'm saying I want the Big Bad to do something crazy but what I actually mean is I want him to devastate a city. Normal stakes have just stopped working for me :P

I find it depends on the work.
It's all relative.
Then again, I've watched a series where the biggest 'threat' is being tossed in prison for being bankrupt. Or at least, that is more prevalent than being killed ever is.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:24 pm

I know it's not logically correct, I love Jane Austen where the highest stakes are someone might not marry the right person but MM has made me a pain junkie unable to want anything remotely anime to be about anything less than people in the most extremes of circumstance and emotion
swenson

Postby swenson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Thomas wrote:!! Now it's time to start RWBY evangelising (and JNPR), I hope not too many people turned off before getting here.

This is looking like it's going to be a series that gets better as it goes on, even in that episode it really ramped up to the end. But now they need a good idea to frame everything going on. I hope it's not Monster of the Week and school drama would probably leave a lot of gaps before the really good bits. I'm hoping within 15 episodes the Big Bad does something really crazy and everything after that is a response (like taking over an entire territory and them having to fight it piece by piece). MotW will be fine if it's just an interim thing

EDIT: Ha I've realised Madoka Magica has actually ruined my ability to enjoy other anime. I keep looking at other things and thinking 'that's great and all but couldn't you make it more intense', I'm saying I want the Big Bad to do something crazy but what I actually mean is I want him to devastate a city. Normal stakes have just stopped working for me :P

Well, judging by the very end, Torchwick is up to something... so I'll bet we'll see that sometime soon. I know there's some theories floating out there, but I still don't have a clue what his big plan is.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 pm

swenson wrote:Well, judging by the very end, Torchwick is up to something... so I'll bet we'll see that sometime soon. I know there's some theories floating out there, but I still don't have a clue what his big plan is.

A spot of the ultraviolence, I'd guess.
Scerro

Postby Scerro » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Thomas wrote:EDIT: Ha I've realised Madoka Magica has actually ruined my ability to enjoy other anime. I keep looking at other things and thinking 'that's great and all but couldn't you make it more intense', I'm saying I want the Big Bad to do something crazy but what I actually mean is I want him to devastate a city. Normal stakes have just stopped working for me :P

PMMM was decent, but really didn't nail it quite for me. I enjoyed the dynamics of the universe(s?) and how things worked for them, it just wasn't as great as people make it out to be. It doesn't get good until the fifth or sixth episode. In a lot of ways the story is more of Homura's story anyways, Madoka is just the one who decides to end it.

Don't get me wrong, it's good. I have a Madoka wallpaper behind my browser window right now. There are just better anime out there.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:49 pm

I adore it, it's one of my favourite things ever. I'm pretty sure I've never seen a piece of fiction so emotionally straining and I've played Actual Sunlight but it also combines it with the spoiler filled drive that something like The Road lacks. There's very little about the show that isn't a spoiler, even talking about it highly negates some of the weight of the falling down the rabbit black hole because it's pretending to not be special. And then both those things very deliberately tie into it's message instead of being there purely for entertainment.

I wouldn't know if the first 5 episodes are boring because I liked the art, style and voice acting enough that they were already entrancing me even before waiting for the drop. I actually bought the DVD based purely off the SF-Debris reviews of the first two episodes where the series is still being described as seeming like it's about 'killing monsters whilst looking good'. If that's not the case for someone I guess I could understand them being seen as less eventful. Who the story is about doesn't seem relative as a criticism of the story though it's just a statement of a thing that it is, it's a story and I'm happy to go wherever it takes me.

If I had a criticism is there's a specific point somewhere around episodes 9 and 10 where the darkness teeters on too much to handle. Even following the sf-debris reviews afterwards I still found myself experiencing the same emotions at that exact point. Given that it rode the line between me almost not being able to continue and needing to continue in the fear of being left at that point of despair and that I watched it in a year of my life which I will now happily lie to people and call great, it's unsurprising that it's having knock on effects in how I like at other media
RedSun

Postby RedSun » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:22 am

Okay, I have seen the first episode. Or, at least, I got as far as "I wanna be a normal girl, with normal knees", and decided I was done.

That was pretty bad. The animation was really floaty and weightless, like every character was part balloon animal, plus the character animations in general were kinda awkward and unconvincing to boot. I know people are fawning over the fight scenes, but both the ones in the trailers and the one in the first episode were just...meh. I can't entirely describe it-again, nothing in that episode felt like it had weight. Every blow felt entirely inconsequential, like every strike was someone knocking over an origami figure. Also, is it just me, or does the whole thing looks like it's running at about 10 fps?

Voice acting was kind of hit and miss. Ruby's not too bad, but the Huntress, Ruby's sister, and Mobster Henchman #4011 were painful to listen to, and the dialogue felt pretty generic as well(plus, some of those lines were just plain "this is not how people talk"). Really, nothing about the story concept or the opening scene seemed particularly original, though I can't really speak on that since I only got about 8 minutes in.

In fact, y'know what the whole thing kinda reminded me of? Those old, crappy PS2 era Jrpgs, the kind you see on all the time on Unskippable. It even does the thing where it starts off with a 2D painting with a narrator explaining backstory for a world you've never seen.

Really, I don't know what you guys see in this. Maybe it does get better as things move along, but everything I'd heard about this beforehand told me it wouldn't, and frankly, I think this forum post is already putting more time into this than it deserves. So...yeah. Not a fan.
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I guess it is a mater of tastes, as I can see the points you are making with the characters feeling a bit floaty. 3D animation is not for everyone, but this is still the best I have seen compared to most other works that try and use it.

The plot, while a bit cut to trope, does not seem overdone to me. I might just not be consuming to much media with that kind of setting compared to you and thus it feels a bit fresher to me. Again, a mater of personal taste.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”