RWBY

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: RWBY

Postby Thomas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:11 am

Oh also, this season really hit home that the world-building in RWBY is rubbish and not what anyone is here for.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 am

Well, it's so flaky, most of it isn't in the show, it's in dedicated lore snippets!
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 pm

I actually rather like the worldbuilding of RWBY. It is a bit awkward that it's mostly in the World of Remnant bits (though honestly, given they've already got too many threads in the plot, that's probably reasonable), but I'm imagining it'll start showing up more and more now that the show is no longer just set in one place.

But the world itself is fairly interesting: not incredibly deep and a bit too clean-cut to feel particularly realistic, but non-realism is part of the show's faerie tale aesthetic, anyway. It reminds me, more than anything, of the world from The Last Airbender, and that's fairly high praise.

---

And in particular, the idea of Grimm - monsters that are too dangerous and numerous to beat and attracted by fear - is a really good bit of worldbuilding, to the point that one of my persistent disappointments is how little milage they get out of it, due to how powerful the main characters all are.

This season being a textbook example: seen through the eyes of average people, the Nuckelavee Grimm is horrifying: it's a walking natural disaster that isn't beaten as much as survived, and Ren's non-huntsman father may as well have tried to fight a hurricane, for all the chance of winning that he had, making his last stand to buy time for others to get away particularly heroic and sacrificial.

Contrast that to when the main characters show up, and they take it down pretty nonchalantly and walk away unscathed. Part of that is that the show didn't do a great job selling the danger of that fight, but the larger part is just that it's pretty well established that trained Huntsmen/Huntresses trash Grimm in the vast majority of cases. And having Huntresses and Huntsmen mow down Grimm can make for cool fight scenes, (e.g. the Red trailer)... but it does hurt make the Grimm a lot less ominous. It goes from a Godzilla movie whenever the main characters aren't around to a shounen anime whenever they are.
Last edited by Retsam on Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:33 pm

RWBY is always going to be huntsmen effortlessly killing Grimm though otherwise it wouldn't be RWBY. And the tech levels are so disjointed and rammed together and the story about the 4 academies was pure fantasy cliche. Its not a world which people believably live in.

The Grimm are cool, I absolutely give you that and I do dig this form of post-apocalypse quite a bit, but when things happen because its cool its never really going to go beyond that (and shouldn't)

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”