Order of the stick

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
User avatar
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:54 am

Insofar as I can tell, the gods are considering destroying the world because in the long term it would be better for their people than getting unmade by the Snarl -- the people of the world could continue to live in their gods' afterlives while the gods established a plan for the Snarl's recapture. On the other hand, from Hel's point of view, the deaths of all those dwarves would be considered dishonourable, so she gets a vast influx of dwarven souls.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:10 pm

Awwwww,poor roy.That punchline was both sad and hilarious.

Also,nice timing with #1000 being just 2 strips away.So next one is voting with a few more jokes,and #1000 will be the explosive result.Cant wait.
User avatar
Trix2000
Location: California

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Trix2000 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Also,nice timing with #1000 being just 2 strips away.So next one is voting with a few more jokes,and #1000 will be the explosive result.Cant wait.

This HAD to be intentional. I've had the feeling for several strips now that he's been gearing up for something huge for #1000. Every page since has just enhanced that feeling more.

....And yet, I have no idea what to expect from it. None. At all. Any ideas I can come up with just make me think I'll be surprised anyways down the line regardless of what I come up with. I have to give the guy a lot of credit for managing this.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Order of the stick

Postby SpammyV » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:25 pm

Really though you think the gods would already know that Roy and company are doing their thing to stop Xyklon.
User avatar
Thomas

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:21 pm

I mean if its that or destroy the world, the bajillion clerics plan sounds workable :p
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Honestly though, with the Order's track record thus far, based on the perspective of the gods, would you be willing to bet they could actually stop Xykon? They have technically failed at every step of the main quest, only achieving victories on the side. That ain't a winning horse.

Of course, the gods could be like Xykon and just always forget who the Order are...
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:04 pm

SpammyV wrote:Really though you think the gods would already know that Roy and company are doing their thing to stop Xyklon.


Yeah,but they are massive dicks.The gods I mean.Surely they have to know that the villains dont want to destroy the world,but rather to harness the power of the gate.

Unless they know of the secret plan,in which case they are just petty assholes for opting to destroy the world rather than to let that happen.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:11 am

I will see this world torn to shreds before I allow anyone to gain a strategic advantage over us.


So they really are just massive dicks.The whole thing is just so they dont allow a new god in their playground.

And that was hels plan all along.Not to simply destroy/save the world,but to make it a tie.Which is far worse.
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:31 am

...If what we know about the Snarl thus far is true, releasing it isn't so much as letting a new god into the playground as it is releasing a convicted psychopathic serial murderer loose among a bunch of children. With a machine gun.

I mean, Tyr is the god of War. He's supposed to be its very personification. Humanitarian considerations don't come into it at all. It would be really weird if he voted to allow the only confirmed Godslayer a possible strategic advantage.

Much better examples of dicks among the gods here are Njord, Mani, and Skadi; the first for not caring a whit about the planet's current life despite his domain over a lot of it, the second for his apathy regardless of which way he voted, and the third for sheer selfishness.

Also Hel, for obvious reasons.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:43 am

Supahewok wrote:...If what we know about the Snarl thus far is true, releasing it isn't so much as letting a new god into the playground as it is releasing a convicted psychopathic serial murderer loose among a bunch of children. With a machine gun.


Ok,I have to go into spoilers for the start of darkness here.But basically,without spoiling anything,it is just that they dont want to let a new god(who is not the snarl) into their playground.Trust me on that if you dont want to get spoiled.If you want,here goes:

There used to be one goblin that managed to become so strong and popular that he gained priestly followers,and thus became a demigod.When he wanted to join the other gods as their equal,and thus enable goblins to become one of the big races(they were created as nothing but fodder for adventurers),he was laughed at.So he created the red cloak,which was passed down from master to mentor,in order to find a way to achieve this.What current red cloak is planning is to bind the power to release the snarl onto his deity,which the deity could then use to force the rest of the gods to finally meet his demands.Neither this deity,nor redcloak want to actually release the snarl.

Also,xykon doesnt want to release the snarl either.He just wants to show everyone how he is better than everyone,and how they all need to serve under him.So yeah,no one really plans to release the snarl,but gods are still being dicks because...well,they are gods,thats what they do.
Last edited by Daemian Lucifer on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Order of the stick

Postby SpammyV » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 am

Actually I think that's all been more or less stated in the main comic by Redcloak himself. So not a spoiler unless someone isn't all the way through the archives.
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:12 am

I've already spoiled myself by reading Hearts of Darkness' plot summary on a wiki a long time ago, and now that you've reminded me about it I see your point, but I wasn't the whole point of that plan the fact that the gods don't know about it, and will be taken completely by surprise? Otherwise the entire pantheon would've united to hunt down the Redcloaklong ago. I think you're reading too much into that particular statement: the gods don't care about the actions of the mortals regarding the gates, they're concerned with the Snarl, and I believe that statement about "anyone gaining strategic advantage" is directed against the Snarl, not that other thing.

The Gods' final statements in the previous strip revolve completely around the Snarl, speaking of the last gate being "opened", not controlled. I think that that's our best clue on what's foremost on their minds.

Edit: Oops, wrong tag on the spoilers. My bad.
Last edited by Supahewok on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:26 am

Maybe they were talking about xykon though.Sure,they might not know what redcloak is planning,but xykon isnt really subtle.Or quiet.And he is a power thirsty maniac,so it does stand to reason that merely conquering the planet would not be enough for him.

SpammyV wrote:Actually I think that's all been more or less stated in the main comic by Redcloak himself. So not a spoiler unless someone isn't all the way through the archives.


I dont think it was specific though.Tsukiko did say the ritual is about moving,not controlling,but I dont remember redcloak saying where,or for what reason.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Order of the stick

Postby SpammyV » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:10 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Maybe they were talking about xykon though.Sure,they might not know what redcloak is planning,but xykon isnt really subtle.Or quiet.And he is a power thirsty maniac,so it does stand to reason that merely conquering the planet would not be enough for him.

SpammyV wrote:Actually I think that's all been more or less stated in the main comic by Redcloak himself. So not a spoiler unless someone isn't all the way through the archives.


I dont think it was specific though.Tsukiko did say the ritual is about moving,not controlling,but I dont remember redcloak saying where,or for what reason.


He does. Update 830. Redcloak outright says what the ritual is really for. I remember it because it's Redcloak's biggest awesome/evil moment in the comic so far.
User avatar
Trix2000
Location: California

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Trix2000 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:10 am

Yeah, the impression I always got is that the gods really don't pay THAT close attention to much aside from the status of the gates themselves (and the fact that several of them are now gone), and that releasing the snarl is their biggest concern (hence the contention over allowing things to progress to the last gate falling - some of them don't want to risk things going wrong by unmaking the world in the very last minutes). The last time the thing was free it DESTROYED a whole pantheon of gods.

It's why Redcloak's plan would work in the first place - unless the Snarl itself is that much bigger of a threat, the other gods would have no reason to submit to the goblins' demands or have it set on them.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:45 am

Wow,what a sneaky gambit.Noice.

But now I wonder what will win,the protagonist and the whole setting,or the prophecy directly aided by a god?
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Well, A) There wouldn't be much story left if Durkon won and B) Roy does have that sword that's super effective against undead.

And presumably Belkar will return for the heroic sacrifice.

Also, pretty stoked Burlew is starting to release the books in PDF. Now I might finally get the chance to read the prologue books.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:28 pm

Supahewok wrote:Now I might finally get the chance to read the prologue books.


Well one of the prologues at least.Whether the second one(first one?)gets released this way depends on the success of these.So market these to anyone you know.

Also,you will finally learn the super special awesome answer to the question of "Why are they called the order of the stick?".And man,their first fight,its bonkers!
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Supahewok » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm sure the other books will get released. Burlew always hems and haws at trying something new, but when he gets around to doing whatever it is it ends up being pretty successful. The Kickstarter, for instance. I really have no doubt that the OOTS fandom will buy enough of the .PDFs for him to release the rest.
User avatar
Thomas

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Thomas » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:38 pm

the true number number of comic pages I've created is actually more like 1585...I don't expect to get to strip #2000, but two thousand pages drawn seems pretty achievable before we wrap this thing up.

That's going to be weird, life without OoTS. It sounds like we have 300-800 ish pages left
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Tying into Spoonys video Ive linked in the tabletop section,this is why you play a smart fighter.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Wow,durkula is such a cool vampire.Oh how I wish Rich's writing skill was more widely known and recognized.
Steve C

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Steve C » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Why was Durkon thrown out like that?
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:59 pm

Steve C wrote:Why was Durkon thrown out like that?


Spoilers for the origin of pcs:

Because there was a (self fulfilling) prophecy that when durkon next returns home he will bring death and destruction to all of the dwarves.The priest sent him out "on a mission" to investigate the human lands until he gets summoned back,and not return before that.
User avatar
Thomas

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Thomas » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:07 pm

That seems like a bad choice on behalf of the priest. I'd steal his passport or put him under house arrest (or kill him I guess)

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest