Order of the stick

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: Order of the stick

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:07 pm

I was more thinking that we've already had a few impactful deaths (and two of the party members have died and come back in some form) so it would be a bit of a pile on to take out everyone out (again). I guess Elan having to really truly grow up could be a good story arc so I could just about imagine it, but OotS would have to go to a fairly dark place to do that
swenson

Postby swenson » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Well, wouldn't be the first time Roy's died...

I'm betting Elan's going to save them somehow, though, proving that even though he's "just" a bard, he can still be heroic too. Which just might be what his father is trying to get him to do, anyway.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

I'm thinking swim checks are going to be in order, but I can't see any way for Roy, Durkon, and Belkar to go through the rift without splitting the party again. Even if Elan and Haley manage to run down there and join them, V's still in the penalty box, and Conjuration is still hir banned school. And after spending an entire book focusing on the party being split, I can't see the Giant repeating himself like that. So maybe they won't go through the rift. But if they don't, how are they going to escape? Arrgh.

Man, the last thirty pages or so have been amazing.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 pm

Agreed =D It's been a really good way of picking up pace again
Rumal

Postby Rumal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:56 am

I'm thinking that Elan may just dive down there, forcing his father to call off the arrow storm by putting himself in the line of fire. While "Shoot them all and rez my son" would be a valid move on Tarquin's part, using yourself as a human shield is pretty heroic and I think he might give it a pass.
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I would like to retract my earlier statement about Tarquin being aware of genre conventions...
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:41 pm

He is aware, only he's ego is making him misjudge his own omportance in the story. He considers himself the final bossfight now xylon.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:05 pm

He doesn't know what happens when a whole army of people attack 3 adventurers
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Not to mention that the Obi-Wan teacher archetype will only die in a direct one-on-one confrontation with the villain, not from a bunch of mooks.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Ah. Now we begin to see the Lawful part of Tarquin's alignment creeping into play.

This really makes me hope there's a confrontation between him and Xykon. And when that day comes, I might honestly be rooting for ol' bonehead.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Ahh, but that is why dinosaurs are there. He is hoping to offset the commoness of mooks by awesome of dinos. Of course if he really wants to kill the adventurers (and not purposely piss them off in order to stage the final battle with him) the army is there only to weaken them. He has his party there too.
swenson

Postby swenson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:50 am

Kavonde wrote:Ah. Now we begin to see the Lawful part of Tarquin's alignment creeping into play.

This really makes me hope there's a confrontation between him and Xykon. And when that day comes, I might honestly be rooting for ol' bonehead.

I would definitely be rooting for the bonehead. I've got a soft spot for him, even if he is horrifically evil. And at the end of the day, what we know that Tarquin doesn't is that Elan is not and will never be the hero of the story: it's Roy, and Roy's archenemy is Xykon. There's no narrative payoff in Roy throwing down with somebody only important (from a story perspective) for being someone else's father. What kind of story would that be?
Akri

Postby Akri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:08 am

I'm just trying to imagine how amazing the dialogue from that showdown would be.
Syal

Postby Syal » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:41 am

So, possible ending; Elan gets himself killed, causing Tarquin to call off the attack because there's nothing to fight for now.

And then Sabine shows up channeling Vaarsuvius' soul and destroys Tarquin's army as he's leaving.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:38 pm

In more news of me forgetting/missing critical webcomic info, the creator said this in his 10 year anniversary post

Normally, this would be where I would say that I’m just getting started, but that’s not really true. There’s still a lot of story to go, but we’re definitely on the back nine. My best guess on how much is left is about four years.

So I guess that answers my question nicely =D. There's a lot of plot left to go
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Huh,I guessed wrong.Tarquin will join the recurring big bad list after all.And I must admit,I love how Giant keeps on making villains the way they should be,be they chaotic or lawful.(though,was there a neutral one?Does the druid count as one?)

And yay,more of the psionic!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:08 pm

I must say,I did not see that coming.Though I suspected a deus ex machina would save the day,but not a furcifer ex volitans machina?

And now I sit wait for latin grammar nazis to correct that phrase for me.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:34 pm

So have you worked out what the hints were yet? I haven't got a clue =D
swenson

Postby swenson » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:07 am

Clearly we're all not genre-savvy enough.
Grudgeal

Postby Grudgeal » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:36 pm

I clearly wasn't savvy enough either. Now to see if this carries on being all about subverting genre expectations or if he'll die in the process.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:34 am

A couple of pieces of foreshadowing that I've spotted;

- Scoundrel's reference in #392 (referred to again in the most recent comic) that the mentor usually only shows up to be killed again by a major villain, thus improving the hero's motivation. Also, when Elan came up with the plan in #836, it was after a discussion about his heroic motivation and broodiness; see also #763.

- In #762, Tarquin says it's been some time since he was called on to pun-duel, implying that he has pun-duelled at least once in the past. Since Scoundrel is the only other pun-dueller around (that we know of), he must have fought Tarquin.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 am

Durukula bat is so cute.I hope therell be more of that.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:26 pm

Man,the caster battles are always ridiculously funny.Except when they are supper creepy,that is.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Yay,new volume begins today.Also,poor durkon.Though,on the brighter side,this way there is hope for the prophecies around him to not as bleak as they appeared.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:37 pm

Ooh. Art upgrade! I mean, not a huge one or anything, but I'm surprised how much of a difference adding detail to the limbs makes. I approve!

Not 100% sure about the new font, though. I'm sure I'll get used to it, it just looks odd.

Also, it's a little bit ironic that we're introduced to the new, detail-limbed stick figures at the same time we meet Durkon's mom...

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”