What projects are you working on?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
McNutcase

Re: What projects are you working on?

Postby McNutcase » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:07 am

Coming up soon: an exhaustive analysis of how I drive, using the dataset of "every single time I've put gas in my car, from purchase to disposal". Which covers almost my entire driving history. This is going to be interesting.

See, I'm getting a newer car, which means starting a new gas log, and I might as well do some analysis of the old one.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri May 01, 2015 5:51 pm

I'm starting to get an urge to revisit "my" Minecraft mod (never released by me, don't know if anyone else has done anything with it), which means... revisiting Forge and the Minecraft source. Does anyone have any recent experience with Minecraft Forge? I looked at the source installation instructions on the wiki, and OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD, not again, never again.

So, um, I'm hoping those instructions are out of date, and installing the source distribution will be less "assemble a Rube Goldberg machine out of popsicle sticks" than I remember.

(Strictly speaking, a Forgeless version should be possible, but without releasing modified jar files, I'm not sure what that entails.)
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 am

Two weeks later, I thought I'd come up with a little project of "write a tiny utility for helping organize my files". Instead, the project is apparently "misuse argparse".

Code: Select all

usage: tag.py [-h] [-r | -R] [-n | [-m | -M] [-f FILES] [-c CHILD_TAGS]
              [-t TAGS] [-l] [-s SPEC_FILE]
Here, have a ].
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:33 am

It's CHASEBLOG time, apparently.

I'm revisiting some old projects. I've had enough time to think about the game engine idea that I figured out what I need to make progress on it: agonizingly complicated mathematics that I have to make up as I go along because I can't figure out what to plug into google.

I've kind of written myself into a corner with this stuff. I'm thinking of going back to Incipience just because that forces me to work with sane tech that exists.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:00 am

I have a question about an old post I think I saw here but cannot find now. Someone discussed a DIY project of hanging pots with more detail on their website. From there I found a section of their website detailing a treehouse made with high tension wires. I'm looking for that personal website again for a friend making a treehouse. Does that sound familiar someone here? It would have been posted several years ago.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:16 am

Steve C wrote:I have a question about an old post I think I saw here but cannot find now. Someone discussed a DIY project of hanging pots with more detail on their website. From there I found a section of their website detailing a treehouse made with high tension wires. I'm looking for that personal website again for a friend making a treehouse. Does that sound familiar someone here? It would have been posted several years ago.

Sounds like something dudecon would do.

Does this look familiar? Its got links to a hanging pots project and a treehouse project...
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Sounds like something dudecon would do.

Does this look familiar? Its got links to a hanging pots project and a treehouse project...

Yes that was exactly it. Thank you.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:07 am

"I think I'll work on Incipi—WHOOPS NEVERMIND, I'm going to try to port my Twine to Twine 2."

Gat DAMN, but Twine 2 is derpy when I try to port my old logic to it. Entirely beyond "It's not really a super-thin wrapper over JS, not to the same extent", I've got some kind of magic power to find the bits of the syntax that mysteriously fail to work. I rate the current distress this is inflicting on me to be 0.1 MathCADs.

(I once turned in a MathCAD assignment where I just broke down partway through and wrote "I can't do this. None of the syntax is working, and I have no idea why.")

EDIT: if macros don't fire if they're the first thing on a line immediately following a list item. I mean, of course they don't. Pfft, that makes total sense.

EDIT AGAIN: the (passage:) macro is unreleased. I literally cannot port my game logic without the (passage:) macro.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Narratorway wrote:Hey all, remember that drum set I was modelling? Y'know that one...from two damned years ago! Yeah...

Whelp, I finally textured it.

I figure another half-decade and I'll be done rigging it for animation!

Alright! I added a few more features to the attic room.
http://peripheralarbor.com/gallery/v/CG ... WendyRoom/
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 am

Trying out algorithmic composition. If the general trends for this kind of thing hold for me, by the time I'm done, I'll have a system that is decently powerful, that I think is stunningly simple, and nobody else will ever understand any of it.

For now, though, I made it play a major scale made out of sine waves. D'aww, it's like a robot child with a recorder.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 pm

mwchase wrote:Trying out algorithmic composition. If the general trends for this kind of thing hold for me, by the time I'm done, I'll have a system that is decently powerful, that I think is stunningly simple, and nobody else will ever understand any of it.

For now, though, I made it play a major scale made out of sine waves. D'aww, it's like a robot child with a recorder.
Could you expose the parameters so that I could write a parametric music generator? I'd like waveform-level access, but none of the systems I've played with seem to care about that kind of thing. Closest I've gotten was MIDI, but that's not saying much.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:10 pm

dudecon wrote:
mwchase wrote:Trying out algorithmic composition. If the general trends for this kind of thing hold for me, by the time I'm done, I'll have a system that is decently powerful, that I think is stunningly simple, and nobody else will ever understand any of it.

Could you expose the parameters so that I could write a parametric music generator? I'd like waveform-level access, but none of the systems I've played with seem to care about that kind of thing. Closest I've gotten was MIDI, but that's not saying much.
The parameters don't really exist, per se. What I have now is a pile of hardcoded... stuff. I've got a general idea of how I want to be more organized, but it's still at the "script full of mystery constants" stage. Also, currently, it can only write wav files, but I did just grab some libraries that should allow me to do realtime (... ish*) output.

In any case, custom waveforms are easy (enough) as is, but everything needs an overhaul, including how waveforms work.

*It's currently very cautious in scaling audio. If I want real-time generation, I need to switch from the current algorithm to some kind of heuristic-with-clamping.

ETA: Whee! I worked on other stuff! That... isn't Incipience. Anyway, I fixed a bug that somehow ended up in my updated Twine code, recovered the formatting info, and updated it to work with Twine 2/Sugarcube. (It's still silly that the three formats are incompatible.)

Here's a sneak peek that doesn't really show anything.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:41 am

I made a neural network! I don't know if anything else works like it does. I currently haven't done anything interesting with it, but I've got big dreams for it... that may or may not pan out.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:05 pm

mwchase wrote:I made a neural network! I don't know if anything else works like it does. I currently haven't done anything interesting with it, but I've got big dreams for it... that may or may not pan out.
Neural networks I'm familiar with (mostly from watching them go insane). And of course we're all familiar with parametric generation from Shamus' stuff. Not convinced that the two work together particularly well.
Are you saying that you plan to use it for parametric content creation? Or for "magic" cards in particular?
Last edited by dudecon on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm just posting in the thread.

First version of the network was whizbang cool and fancy, and didn't work particularly well. (For example, until just now, there was a bug in the training code. I fixed it, and the output is, at first glance, indistinguishably bad.) I'm changing it around to a more established architecture and seeing what happens.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:28 pm

So how long before you make skynet and eradicate all humans?Id like to plan some epic scale orgies for just before that happens.If I have to die,at least Id like to die with a bang.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Also since it's a neural net I am concerned that you might not be able to satisfy xkcd Skynet safety regulation https://xkcd.com/534/
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 am

Working on a promo video for a local cover band. Still waiting to hear back on what changes they want made if any. Tried my hand as sprite work for the first time...

4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:15 am

Is that van supposed to be going in reverse?
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:04 pm

The couple inside must have accidentally released the handbrake while they were *ahem* ....distracted.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Well the intent was to give it the sensation of moving fast enough to hit the visual effect of things looking like they're in reverse. No idea what it's called.

Aaaaaaaaanyway, I've also been putting way too wordy reviews. of games I've been playing on Steam.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Narratorway wrote:Well the intent was to give it the sensation of moving fast enough to hit the visual effect of things looking like they're in reverse. No idea what it's called.

That thing affects rims and tires,not the road itself.Though I guess it could apply to conveyor belts.

By the way,the effect is called wagon-wheel effect.And it can affect the roads when they are filmed after all.That hadnt crossed my mind.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:57 pm

Oh, there's a name for that? Neat. I've always done it with the stripes in the middle of the road on highways; with the right focus you can make them look like they're running the opposite direction. I didn't realize there was a name for it.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:43 am

It only works on cyclical things and it's due to the fact that our eyes don't "film" continuosly but like cameras take 24 images per second. So if you time the frequency of something just right you can fool the eyes that the wheel is turnign backwards (in a case of one spoke wheel) because the eyes migth take one snapshot when the spoke is at 0 degrees and one at 350 degrees, 340 330 and so on. While the wheel is clockwise the brain will interpret these images as wheel rotating counterclockwise.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:13 pm

So, in the food thread nobody reads, I mentioned that I wanted to try my hand at dry curing meat, which to put it simply is taking a certain cut of meat, rubbing in a cure which contains salt, and leaving the meat to hang for a few weeks. This lets the salt dry the meat, destroying the harmful bacteria that is usually gotten rid of through the heat in cooking. This process leads to meats with unique tastes and textures. Examples are salami and prosciutto.

Now, as I've discovered, this requires some good environmental control. The room that the meat is hung in needs to be at a certain constant temperature, and more importantly, at a certain constant humidity so that the meant doesn't completely dry out. This presents a problem. I'm living in a college dorm room. A nice dorm room, with a kitchen, but a dorm room all the same. I don't have an extra room to devote to this. As it is, if I tried to hang meat up in the kitchen, the air conditioning would ensure the correct temperature, but it also drys out the air. I can't just put a humidifier in a closet; I'm worried that it would present a mold risk, which would make the school mad.

What I need is a means of creating a contained and controlled environment, that can support having one or two chunks of meat hanging in it for up to 3 months. And I think I've figured out a way to do so. If I were to take a cooler, tie some thread around the lid to hang a hook on the underside, stick a humidifier in there along with a humidity measurer, and leave the lid mostly closed, I think I could create a humid, cool, and dark environment. I'd leave the lid just slightly open so that the humidity can escape a little bit so that it doesn't build up to oppressive levels.

But before spending over a hundred dollars on equipment, I wanted to hear from some folks on here with more experience in DIY projects: does this sound feasible as is, or am I forgetting some basic principles? Will the cooler maintain room temperature, even as humidity builds up inside it? Is keeping the cooler open just a tad a good or bad idea? Would sticking a humidifier in a closet actually be fine? I do have a closet I can clear, although obviously air can pass out and in under the door, so I don't know if I can create a controlled environment in it.

The only problem I see is refilling the humidifier. I don't know how much humidity would be lost during the time it took to give the thing a refill, or if a 2 minute interruption every 24 hours would upset the dry cure process. I'm considering just having 2 humidifiers, switching between them in 24 hour intervals to limit the time without one to a few seconds, but the kind that have the fine control I need are at least $50. As a poor college student, I only have so much money lying around so its something I'd rather not resort to.

Anyway, any feedback would be helpful. Even if its just pointing out some other easy solution I just overlooked. Actually, ESPECIALLY if its pointing out some easy solution I've overlooked.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”