What projects are you working on?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
mwchase

Re: What projects are you working on?

Postby mwchase » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:18 am

So, they say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

On an unrelated note, I have been [HAVING A LEARNING EXPERIENCE WITH] JavaScript, and I think the for-in syntax and semantics are [NOT QUITE LIKE ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN BEFORE]. I had to think carefully about how it behaves[ WHICH EXERCISES THE MIND]. The whole thing really [GOT ME OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE].

Anyway, yeah, it turns out I kind of ping-pong madly between projects. Here are two Twine projects with completely different structures! Here's Project Incipience! Here's a concept for a book about a fantasy world where magic is bad news, but not in an evil way! Here's the world-building for that book! Here's an idle game concept, because we surely don't have too many low-quality idle games! (And I can only go so far in believing mine will be above average)
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:29 am

mwchase wrote:So, they say if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

On an unrelated note, I have been [HAVING A LEARNING EXPERIENCE WITH] JavaScript, and I think the for-in syntax and semantics are [NOT QUITE LIKE ANYTHING I HAVE EVER SEEN BEFORE]. I had to think carefully about how it behaves[ WHICH EXERCISES THE MIND]. The whole thing really [GOT ME OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE].

Shortcuts for javascript:

1) Only use === and !==, never == or !=.
2) Only use "in" with objects, not arrays (use .map or .forEach for arrays)
2.5) Use a library like lodash (in particular, I recommend lodash) instead of using a for loop.
3) Javascript isn't really an object oriented language in the same way that a language like Java or C++ is; don't try to code it like one.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Java or C++ nothing, I was coming in with expectations from Python (and maybe some subconscious influence from Haxe).

I know enough about the differences between them to know that that's a recipe for disaster. But actually, I was planning to use it in even less of an OO fashion than I normally see it used.
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:19 pm

I'd really like to do something in Twine, it was nice and easy to use and I've got some ideas, but you know, time is always the issue.

I'm working on a hexacopter scouting drone for among other things inspecting wind turbines, though I'm working on shuffling around communication between different parts of it, all the parts that would be interesting to talk about is done by other people.

I started working on my 3D-renderer again after a two-month break, I think I've figured out my transparency algorithm, though I shouldn't say so until I've actually implemented it. I also upgraded it to Java 8 and it's turned out to be useful for me pretty much instantly, though surprisingly I had more use for method references than streams and lambdas so far.

The new stuff in Java 8 is really nice but it makes the rest of the language look pretty bad, still you can do some fun stuff with it like creating something resembling a proper if-expression (the default ?-operator doesn't type infer very well, so it's kind of hard to use for anything other than picking between two values).
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 am

I made a number of very small mods for New Vegas, each of which addresses bugged perks. The base game and three of the four expansions have at least a couple of bugged, apparently-unpatched perks, two of which do nothing at all. In all, I made five mods, to keep the changes reliant only on the expansions they apply to. One of them is, by necessity, dependent on two master files (which I had to look up how to enable), which is the change I made to the Grunt perk; some of the weapons it applies to were modified by the Gun Runners' Arsenal content pack, and those are the versions a player would likely be using. I also took a bit of a liberty and added a few weapons from the content pack that seemed like they should be covered by the perk, but had no base-game equivalent.

I also made one to fix the weapon mod that improves the Holorifle's condition; it's bugged to uselessness. In fact, every weapon mod that improves condition is prey to a bug; Weapon Repair Kits don't work properly on them. I was going to fix that, but that's honors material and I'm a 'D' student. But of course, there's already a mod for that, anyway.

This is how a lot of little changes get made to my games. When I started throwing a ton of mods onto Morrowind, I also started making a few very small ones on my own, either by necessity to fix bugs (like now), or just out of pique. I realized now that I only have two or three New Vegas mods from the Nexus, but I'm running a lot more than that which represent small changes I made on my own. And in fact, I even modified those mods to work differently; changing one of them tonight was what got me thinking about fixing the bugged perks.

Working in the GECK is really pretty fun. It's an awful tool and I can't understand how any sane person could make a full game with it. But I always learn stuff about how the game works under the hood when I make these little changes, which is like learning anatomy/physiology by performing surgery.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:44 am

More mucking about with the GECK revealed something very alarming to me:

Pickpocketing in New Vegas is shockingly broken.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:44 am

I never played any of the new Fallouts, only the original. It could easily be the same mechanics after all these years. I know that stealing back then was heavily influenced by value. I definitely remember not being able to steal caps directly. I would sell my stim packs and then steal the stim packs back in small clumps. However you could easily go over 100% in your skill. I think it worked in reverse too so that the more valuable something was, the easier it was to plant on someone. And that's exactly what I used it for. I would plant dynamite on people who had nice stuff. I remember that being more successful than it should have been.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:45 am

I made a chart of the pins from The World Ends With You a while back, threw it on Imgur for kicks and giggles. Have a gander at it!
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:35 am

mwchase wrote:I kind of ping-pong madly between projects.

So yeah, I started working on Guzerat (that whole game engine thing) again recently, and in the past few days that manifested as... writing a bunch of utilities to manipulate junit XML so I don't have to scroll through reams of terminal output to confirm test results. I've put together a super-super-super-shambolic HTML renderer that turns XML into a nifty informative HTML file with inline styling. At some point all of this stuff gets factored out into another project, but that point is not now! (I guess I'll wait until I have another project I want to apply my testing workflow to under active development.)

Anyway, I guess the long-term plan for Guzerat is to get a non-optimized python prototype, profile it, and maybe go so far as do something like learn C, port the core engine to C, and have a Lua interface. But first, I have a lot of code to rough in, and I... completely lost my place in all of this "Dammit CSS, why do you have the ability to do the things you do when I try to get you to do what I want?!"
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:02 am

I just applied for every opening that I qualified for at Tesla Motors' new Sydney store. This is the first time that I've ever applied for a job that I really wanted without having an anxiety attack. I think that's a pretty big achievement.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:22 am

Got the theme for the next volume, so I'm working on ideas for that. I'm not gonna be a one-hit wonder.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:28 am

Tesla's website is down. I choose to blame my vast surge of job applications.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Compiling my thoughts about Dragon Age Inquisition for a series of blog articles. Some of it is stuff I've heard other places but I think I have my own stuff to add to it to sort of identify the problems with the game.

Summary: The open world and a number of little fiddly unnecessary time wasters dilute the story too much while the story's premise straight jackets the character (i.e. because everything you're doing is for the Inquisition and you SHOULD only be getting them to resources they need to deal with Corypheus and the Breach, anything else is either unnecessary building up of the Inquisition or you faffing about when the world is counting on you. I'll contrast that with both DAO and a number of open world games to show how DAI is stuck in a bad spot.)

After I get done with the problems with those aspects, I plan on doing a full examination of the main plot and (if I can be bothered) the side missions.
axcalibar

Postby axcalibar » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:06 pm

I am sporadically creating the last of a trilogy of Minecraft adventure maps which are my misguided attempt to marry MC and D&D. Though I am aware that the niche-within-a-niche audience I have chosen to target is minuscule, I feel compelled to end this project with the best denouement I can manage.
purf

Postby purf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Thinking about making something out of my dormant Youtube channel. Gaming, yes. But no reviews, no walkthroughs, no let's plays.
Just couple-of-seconds miniatures, somewhat akin to deadendthrills.com/, plus hints of content.
Great vistas, beautiful glitches and taking a shower in Minecraft.
Lachlan the Sane

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:17 am

I am writing this, and you can't stop me.

mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:09 am

I'm experimenting with optimized VM tech, by using RPython to make high-powered VMs for languages that nobody has any business using.

It's been a mixed bag so far. I copied and updated one article's JITted brainfuck implementation, and that worked. Then I tried implementing ///, and I got: a functional interpreter in Python, a faster interpreter with RPython, and no idea how to set up the JIT for a language that works almost exclusively through self-modifying code.

Right now, I'm working with Unlambda. I ported a Lua implementation I wrote ages ago to Python, uncovered some bugs, and now there are a few obstacles. One is that I'm not sure Unlambda will at all be happy about being stuffed into RPython, and the other is that most of the interpreter's lineage has had promises implemented wrong, and trying to figure out how I should rewrite my implementation to make promises work correctly is like smashing my face on a collection of Zen koans.

EDIT: I was constructing my ASTs backwards. Or inside-out. Or something. How this wasn't making it completely unusable, instead of mostly unusable, I don't like to think about.

EDITx2: IT WORKS!
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:18 pm

Putting up PVC gutters on my garage to catch rain water. Installing LED under-cabinet lighting in my kitchen. Sealing the leak in the roof of my van. Uploading videos to YouTube.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Remembered a remix from my old ytmnd days and it inspired the following:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Still some things to tweak...aaand of course I gotta color 'em.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Well I guess we know who's on vocals! But seriously, that's awesome. Be sure to show it off once it's all polished up!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm

Narratorway wrote:Still some things to tweak...aaand of course I gotta color 'em.

Im not sure if you should.Pencil art feels nicer sometimes,especially with fast animation.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:29 pm

I joke about Crono being on vocals, but I feel strongly Lavos could sing lead. Say what you will about the guy's politics, he had a show-stopping set of pipes.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:48 pm

So, I'm messing around with a stack-based language that I made up. I don't have a proper interpreter, but I have a minimalist backend.

If you can figure out what this does, have some nerd points or e-peen or something.

Code: Select all

{ { Duplicate | Reify | Swap | Chain } | Swap | Chain | Duplicate | Evaluate }
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:21 pm

I've been toying with the idea of making languages. Got as afar as making an RPN calculator before getting lost in parsing.

But before I get back to that I thought I'd split my game code into more easily separated libraries. Going along with that I figured it was time to learn to use some build tool. XML makes me want to poke my eyes out so now I'm trying to figure out this Gradle thing.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Hey all, remember that drum set I was modelling? Y'know that one...from two damned years ago! Yeah...

Whelp, I finally textured it.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I figure another half-decade and I'll be done rigging it for animation!

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”