What projects are you working on?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
mwchase

Re: What projects are you working on?

Postby mwchase » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:33 am

Just reconstituted a Twine project from a published build. There should be an automatic utility for that. As it is, I just used an HTML decoder and patience.

Then I tried to make the source code more concise, and the result was unexpectedly awful. Like, it felt like I could hand-write, or hand-type, the text it was generating faster than it was.

Other projects: kicking caffeine. I currently hate everything, mostly myself.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:17 pm

So I uploaded a mod to the Morrowind Nexus.

I must admit a certain embarrassment, however irrational, when taking and compiling the example screenshots. The bored look on the character's face doesn't help.

Tess: "Yep, this is what I became a mage for. Decades of study led to this moment."
Me: "It's not like that! It's for the Internet!"
Tess: "That makes it so much better. I'm only seventy, this could follow me into the Fifth Era."
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:08 am

The Rocketeer wrote:...I must admit a certain embarrassment, however irrational, when taking and compiling the example screenshots. The bored look on the character's face doesn't help...
LOL. Classic. If you look closely, her fingers are curled in a way which seems to indicate that she is on the knife's edge between deciding to flip out and kill you, or simply cast invisibility on herself and light up a cig'.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:18 am

My short story anthology is moving through the pipeline. I've scored major points with the editors and typesetters by getting my stuff done way ahead of schedule. Some of the other authors are still stressing out with rewrites, and I'm just "Hey, whenever you get around to sending me proofs, I'll check 'em. Do you want me to expand my bio at all? It was kinda short."
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:29 pm

A couple of musical projects in the offing, although they are on hiatus as we are probably moving house this side of Christmas and so don't want to get too involved. Anyone interested in previous output can put my username into Soundcloud btw.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:45 am

I'm too tired to even be upset about what just happened.

I've never written a FAQ or walkthrough for a game, but if I ever need information on a game I tend to either record it myself, or find the information I need online and reformat it however I want it. All told, I've compounded quite a heavy bit of reference.

So I was right on the verge of getting back into New Vegas, and I had the idea to do something I'd really felt like I needed for a while. What I wanted was a quick guide to the locations in the Wasteland, and to all the coolest stuff- unique weapons and clothing, skill books, that kind of thing. There's the wiki, but as helpful as it is, it can be cumbersome, and I don't really like keeping a dozen tabs open in the background while playing. I could keep a bunch of lists in notepad- and I do- but that's cumbersome, too. What I wanted was a single tool that I could use at a glance, an interactive treasure map of the Mojave Wasteland.

Luckily, just such a thing existed, and I'd been using it before at least a little. Back in the olden times, someone of a similar mind- but a lot greater skill- had the same need while playing Morrowind, and made a program called Ptolemy that takes a bitmap of the game's map, and lets you customize it however you need.

So the first thing I do is create a very high-res image of the game area. Nothing I could search out was precise or complete enough, so I ended up using max zoom on an existing interactive map linked from the wiki and paneling together sections in paint. The final product is right near 6500x6500 pixels, and the precision is incredible. It ended up showing the wasteland so clearly I could, using Ptolemy, slap down map markers right on the front door of any structure in the wasteland. Right on the pixel.

And that's just what I did: map out every location in the Mojave, tabbing back and forth to the game, where my god-moded, no-clipping character hunted down the precise position of any location I couldn't nail down just from the Vault Wiki. Eventually, I got it: everywhere, every location charted, organized by type, faction, and prominence. It's beautiful. So I save a second copy and use it to do something different: rather than have one map, it seems easiest to create a second map with all of the locations already very precisely input locations, and remodel that into the treasure map.

And that's what I do: take those locations, and use location categories (which had been things like City, Military, Settlement, Natural Landmark, and so on) to identify all the loot I had my eyes on: one-of-a-kind weapons, armor, and clothing; skill books; and snow globes, entitled by [Name]; [Location]; and [Quest] or [Owner] if applicable, with more in-depth notes appended to any node that seemed to need them. Again, all categories and sub-categories color-coded for easy viewing (red for weapons and green for clothing, light for "free," medium for carried or worn, dark for quest gated, and so on). After that, I just purge all locations that didn't have any notable loot associated with them, and I'm left with an ideal treasure map. And, about half an hour ago, I finished. After working on it since about mid-day yesterday. But this map was so worth it. It was a snap to use, beautiful, and more or less cracked the wasteland open. The definitive key to the Mojave. I planned to put them on the Nexus after I was done; might as well, you know?

Then I realize that there are two important locations that I had missed on the first map, so I save the second map and open up the first one, the one with only locations. I remembered that one of the expansions added two locations to the main map, which none of the others had, and I hadn't had them in my list of locations to add the first time around. So I go to open up the map, and the program chugs for a good ten seconds- which is expected, the file size is large and its been taking time to save, too. Then the worst happens.

It can't open the files. I'd been saving regularly, but I hadn't bother to test opening them back up. The format it saves in is actually very simple, and simply a proprietary extension on a .zip of an .xml file containing the bitmap and the tags and data modded onto it. But for whatever reason, it can't recognize its own file type. And then it hits me that this program was last maintained 9 years and two operating systems ago. Huh. I probably should have seen this coming.

Like I said, I'm just too tired to really care right now. But this was exactly what I needed, something that I would theoretically only need to work on once upfront and then could save myself and other people all that time down the road. It was like a tool that fits your hand just right. Eh, gone now. I still have the files; they aren't lost. I just can't figure out how to make the program recognize them, and I have no idea how to fix the files myself, if there's even anything wrong with them. I don't know much beyond surface-level computing.

But I do have that giant damn bitmap of the Mojave Wasteland. It's pretty.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:20 pm

...almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Um,couldnt you just edit the already existing map on the faq?I mean you have to log in first,but then you can just write whatever you wish.
lostclause

Postby lostclause » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 am

I've started a blog about science in the media, breaking down crappy articles and seeing what the science actually says.
http://lostclause.wordpress.com/

Makes me realize how privileged I am to have access to full papers and not have to solely rely on my local newspaper.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 am

EDIT: IT WORKS!

I don't even know what I did but it works now. BEHOLD:

Zoomed around half:

Full zoom:

Collectibles map:

I'm going to keep working on them, or at least make new copies that I can fiddle with while I know the old ones POSSIBLY work, from time to time.
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:51 pm

I thought that I should try to make a video kind of review thing on a game. Now I've got 500 GB of footage from three different games and a half written script and I'm not really sure where to go with this. I guess I'll figure out the script first then start going through all that video.
JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:09 am

I did something I've wanted to do for a really long time: I started a Mark of the Ninja LP.

I've tried my hand at videos before, but I think this is the first one I've made that I honestly feel proud of.

People are saying I should continue. I'm not sure I have as much to say about each of the other levels as I did about the first, but I'll probably keep going with it and see what happens.
Last edited by JPH on Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 am

Zukhramm wrote:I thought that I should try to make a video kind of review thing on a game. Now I've got 500 GB of footage from three different games and a half written script and I'm not really sure where to go with this. I guess I'll figure out the script first then start going through all that video.

Good lord I know that feeling. I think to myself, "I could make a video about this!" So I get a whole bunch of screen capture and then end up never doing anything with it. I hope you have better luck!
Ygor

Postby Ygor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 am

So, I started toying with the idea of a board game right now. So I guess that's my next project, seeing as it kept me awake this night, so that I could write all the design ideas I have for the game. Let's see how well this goes.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:55 am

I now have proofreading to do. My editor told me not to do it tonight, though, since I'm tired and coming down from migraine medication...
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:32 pm

So I finished making all those maps I was making for New Vegas, and uploaded them onto the Nexus here.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 pm

Started bashing away at a fantasy story that is currently shaping up to be a longish short story or maybe even a novel. Definitely going to be talking to my publisher about it, I think this has legs. I'd definitely like to get the royalty arrangement I have for my short on this, it's absurdly generous and will be even more so for a single-author book. If it winds up as a short, I'll keep it in reserve for their next anthology.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 pm

While I've done a lot of fiddly interactive stuff using JQuery and Sharepoint (including an extensive overhaul of the master page) I'm working on my first sort of scratch built single page application (I say sort of because it uses Sharepoint lists and JQuery/JQuery UI, does that count?).

Its a basic effort to consolidate the content on 200 web pages and let users view the content on one page while letting the content managers manage the content from that page. Thankfully its a secure intranet thing so I don't have to worry about building the security myself this time around.

Also started a blog (I won't link it yet because none of my drafts are published yet) that will mostly be about gaming experiences. Not that the world needs another but its what I feel I can write about.

EDIT: And feel free to ask "Why don't you just use X?" but realize that 1) The thing has to be in Sharepoint and 2) It took years before the actual Sharepoint team would trust me enough to let me do even this much. I am looking at things like Bootstrap and Angular (thankfully, our Sharepoint team seems to like Angular.)
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:25 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:While I've done a lot of fiddly interactive stuff using JQuery and Sharepoint (including an extensive overhaul of the master page) I'm working on my first sort of scratch built single page application (I say sort of because it uses Sharepoint lists and JQuery/JQuery UI, does that count?).

Its a basic effort to consolidate the content on 200 web pages and let users view the content on one page while letting the content managers manage the content from that page. Thankfully its a secure intranet thing so I don't have to worry about building the security myself this time around.

Also started a blog (I won't link it yet because none of my drafts are published yet) that will mostly be about gaming experiences. Not that the world needs another but its what I feel I can write about.

EDIT: And feel free to ask "Why don't you just use X?" but realize that 1) The thing has to be in Sharepoint and 2) It took years before the actual Sharepoint team would trust me enough to let me do even this much. I am looking at things like Bootstrap and Angular (thankfully, our Sharepoint team seems to like Angular.)

I have ~0 knowledge of Sharepoint; but I'm a fan of Knockout JS as a potential alternative to Angular. Knockout is basically just the data binding component of angular. It's a single-use utility and pretty simple to pick up, compared to the Swiss Army Chainsaw (albeit a very shiny and functional Swiss Army Chainsaw) that is Angular*.

*Disclaimer of "I've never used Angular, but I've looked into it a fair bit.
purf

Postby purf » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:28 pm

Being the superlateeverythingisover-adopter, I'm diving into Java a bit. Being (so far, very theoretically) able to create something that people can have/play on their phones is soo alluring. I'm also digitizing a tape (remember those?), the only remainder of my dabbling with a Korg workstation about 20holyshit years ago. Edit because why not and my soundcloud is so deserted otherwise: songs from a tape
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:22 am

Got commissioned to make a short animated online AVON commercial. Made an animatic they liked:

And working on knocking out the design of the woman next.
purf

Postby purf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:32 am

Some more music. Thanks to a series of clicketyclicklistens which originated from Shamus' blog I just had to drag out my old midi keyboard and dust off Reason:
https://soundcloud.com/purf/6milliondollar - Not regarding this as finished but close enough.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:40 pm

I've just recovered from a crash I'm dubbing Lavos' Revenge.

I was fooling around with an emulator- jankball stuff at the best of times- thinking I'd get back into Chrono Trigger, after I'd stopped my last playthrough just before finishing it. I ended up running through the Black Omen a couple of times, and went to square off with the space flea itself. Just as I'm about to finish off the final boss, I slam into a blue screen of death, and my computer restarts.

The first thing I notice is that my resolution is waaaaaay too low. I start fiddling with my graphics options and can't seem to get them right. I end up fiddling with a few different programs, and I get a realization not unlike when in a horror movie you realize you're alone in the room with the killer: my graphics card is gone.

At first I think the drivers have been corrupted, and this may have been the root of the issue after all, but I can't even get my laptop to display my fancytimes graphics card, seeing only my cheapola integrated card in the list of hardware. I try to manually install drivers for my card, use the command line to try and make it display 'hidden' devices where it might have been sorted if it had been corrupted somehow, but after an hour of googling and fiddling I get a sinking feeling. This is a job for a screwdriver.

Now, believe me when I say this: I have worked with the delicate circuitry of fighter jets and explosive ordnance for years, and I never have a feeling of incapability and foreboding as strongly as when I start taking screws out of a laptop. There's just something about sticking my greasy amateur fingers into my primary timewasting device that feels uncannily like trying to perform surgery on my own beating heart. I take out a component, and nod meaningfully at it. I realize that it's probably a bad sign that I don't even know what I'm looking for, much less what I intend to do with it. After removing, in order, what I believe to have been the fan of the integrated card, an empty bracket, the battery, and my DVD drive, I arrive more or less by process of elimination at another circuitboard covered by a larger fan than the first. Getting the first fan out was tricky, as it was a very tight fit (though it gave me the opportunity to clear a bit of dust off), and the larger one was even more so. But after gently rocking it this way and that, I get at the card beneath it, very gently unseat the connectors from their slot, and have a nice long stare at it.

It actually takes me a little moment to realize that this is, indeed, my AWOL graphics card, as I was informed by the AMD logo printed on it it and the words GRAPHIC CARD printed on the blue motherboard beneath (technically, above it, since the device was upside down). So here I am, holding it in my hand. What had I intended to do with it? Are there magic words? Is a scolding in order? Do I reveal that the graphics had been inside it the whole time? I settle for re-seating the card and screwing everything back in place. I don't know if, or how, this could improve anything, but I was hoping that referring to it as "re-seating" made it technical enough to count as a fix in the eyes of the maintenance devil.

So I boot up one more time, and once I arrive at the desktop the monitor cuts to a black screen once! twice! three times! Lingering a bit longer than I appreciated on the final black screen, it evened out. A quick holding-in of the breath, and sure enough, the card is listed once more in my device manager and seems to be functioning just fine. Which brings us to now.

So, Lavos won the day, and I'm not damn fool enough to try for a rematch. At least in this timeline, Chrono Cross never happened. So I got that going for me.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:52 am

Got 'nother commish to do a dance:

Time to see how it all goes...
Akri

Postby Akri » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:21 am

I made some things for the Desert Bus Craft-Along. (As of right now the images are reversed--red things = wiwaxia, turtle-squirrel-thing = glyptodon).

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”