What projects are you working on?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Akri

What projects are you working on?

Post by Akri » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:02 am

I know we've got some creative-type people here, and thought it would be cool to see what sorts of projects everyone has going.

I've been trying to get back into the habit of writing every day. I'm not working on anything spectacular, just some fanfiction, but the goal here isn't to write well, but just to write regularly. And, of course, to have fun doing so. I'm using a spreadsheet to keep track of how many words I write each day, and I've given myself a tentative goal of 250,000 words by the end of the year. That averages out to just under 700 words a day, if I write seven days a week. I'm actually hoping to do a thousand words a day, but I figured giving myself some breathing room would be a good idea. Hopefully I'll actually stick with this for more than a week.

I also have a chainmail shirt that I've been slowly adding to for, oh, about a year? It's a nice long-term project for when I'm bored and can't decide what I want to work on. I finally got a decent mandrel setup last Christmas ('mandrel' being a fancy word for 'rod you wrap wire around to make coils') so I can actually make more than two dozen rings at a time.

The last (and by far the shortest) project I have right now is a needle-felted apatosaurus (heh, firefox spell check thinks that should be 'brontosaurus'. No, Firefox, that name was rejected because 'apatosaurus' came first. Haven't you been keeping up with paleontology nomenclature?) I made a protoceratops awhile back, and I figured it was time to give him a friend.

So what about the rest of you? Any cool writing/crafting/coding/whatever projects in the works? Feel free to talk about things that are causing you problems, or to share pictures (no, feel encouraged to share pictures), or to just ramble incessantly about why you're doing that particular project.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Re: What projects are you working on?

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:43 am

I'm slowly writing an opera. Once it's mostly done, I hope to sell the idea to an opera company with promises of Kickstarter gold. It's an adaptation of a novel by an author with a particularly large fanbase, so people will throw all their money at it.
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:52 am

Working on finishing Shamus' abandoned book. It's more than twice as long now, and still thousands of words left to go! (If you want to help, Akri, I'd be fun to collaborate!)
Making some 3d character models for the D&D campaign I'm in right now.
Building an unsafe tree fort in the back yard.
Slowly and carefully unhinging my mind for the sake of video-games.
That's about it! I mean, besides work where I help build giant robots, and home where I attempt to nurture and guide self-replicating self-assembling nano factory colonies.
Akri

Post by Akri » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Lachlan the Mad wrote:I'm slowly writing an opera.

And now I'm imagining the guy in your avatar as the lead singer :D

dudecon wrote:Working on finishing Shamus' abandoned book. It's more than twice as long now, and still thousands of words left to go! (If you want to help, Akri, I'd be fun to collaborate!)

I've yet to read that thing (I'm just now getting around to Free Radical--why the hell didn't anybody tell me it was so freaking good?) I'm not opposed to the idea of collaborating, though.

Making some 3d character models for the D&D campaign I'm in right now.
Building an unsafe tree fort in the back yard.
Slowly and carefully unhinging my mind for the sake of video-games.
That's about it! I mean, besides work where I help build giant robots, and home where I attempt to nurture and guide self-replicating self-assembling nano factory colonies.

Welp, I feel like an under-achiever :D
Traiden

Post by Traiden » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:56 pm

I am also working on writing some fanfiction. A crossover of Wakfu and MLP:FIM.
I am also trying to watch MLP:FIM but am running into the entertainment not available in your country blockade. I have only been able to watch the first three episodes before heading out to the sandbox.
Improving my physical fitness for girlfriend so she can admire my sexy body.
Planning the way I would fight the whole office in my head if they all suddenly became zombies.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:29 pm

I've spent the last decade attempting to create a 3d short film. Created some character designs some ten years ago, modelled three of them a few years back, and just recently finished rigging them enough for animation to try some animation tests.
Jace911

Post by Jace911 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm

I've got two or three amateur RPG conversions floating around at any given time (Eclipse Phase-Mass Effect, FATE Core-Avatar The Last Airbender, Fallout standalone, etc), plenty of fanfiction that gets dropped and picked back up on a whim, and a Desert Ranger cosplay that I've been slowly building and improving on over the course of an eternity.

I'm also thinking of sitting down and writing an actual tabletop RPG at some point (Not just a conversion), but I still have to think of a setting and what sort of mechanical style I want it to be (Crunchy or fluff).
newdarkcloud

Post by newdarkcloud » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm working on Disclosure Alert and current in the midst of writing another piece for Press Start to Discuss.
McNutcase

Post by McNutcase » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 am

Getting ideas in order for a campaign for Shadowrun Returns.

In more immediate news, I'm baking banana bread and zucchini bread.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 am

Akri wrote:
Lachlan the Mad wrote:I'm slowly writing an opera.

And now I'm imagining the guy in your avatar as the lead singer :D

Nah, the lead singer is supposed to be a young tenor/baritone without a fully settled voice. No big fat Pavarottis in my opera. I never liked that kind of tenor.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 am

Cleaning my shower. A three-day project, have done the floor and one wall on day one. Will do the other two walls today, then both sides of the door tomorrow. I don't do it all at once lest I be overcome by the fumes of cleaning products. (And also laziness)
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:20 am

Vinegar works great on showers. Spray it on, have a shower. Then afterward clean it with a mild detergent.
Humanoid

Post by Humanoid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 am

I've used it (and will again) after being informed it's the best at fighting mould short of hiring professionals, though I used a disposable cloth instead of spraying it on. But it was more for peace of mind rather than having an actual issue, and the second clean part is the thing the lazy part of me wants to avoid.

Vinegar also works as a good replacement for fabric softener, apparently. Haven't tried it myself, but then I don't use softener either.
swenson

Post by swenson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:51 pm

I'm learning Java in 21 days, apparently. I need to know it for a class I'm taking this fall (as in, starting in two weeks), so... speed reading and speed programming it is.
Akri

Post by Akri » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Operation: Write ALL The Words has passed the 10k mark :D
dudecon

Post by dudecon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Akri wrote:... just now getting around to Free Radical--why the hell didn't anybody tell me it was so freaking good? ... Welp, I feel like an under-achiever :D
We tried! Isn't it just the best? Also, who said anything about achieving? I'm just easily distracted is all.
Traiden wrote:MLP:FIM ... sexy body... fight the whole office...
Awesome man. Livin' the dream!
Narratorway wrote:3d short film... just recently finished rigging...
Wow, stick with it. That stuff is grueling! Animations look great though.
Jace911 wrote:...I'm also thinking of sitting down and writing an actual tabletop RPG at some point (Not just a conversion)...
Wait, an RPG setting, or an entire engine? Sounds exciting!
newdarkcloud wrote:... Disclosure Alert ... writing ... Press Start to Discuss.
Communication is hard work, isn't it? I'm always amazed how much time is required to get information ready to transmit.
McNutcase wrote:... campaign for Shadowrun Returns... baking banana ... and zucchini bread.
Delicious, all around.
Lachlan the Mad wrote:... the lead singer is supposed to be a young tenor/baritone without a fully settled voice...
Ooh! Pick me!
Humanoid wrote:...Vinegar also works as a good replacement for fabric softener, apparently...
And it's good for the joints as well. Hard to drink though. (this should probably go in the "interesting facts" thread)
swenson wrote:I'm learning Java in 21 days, apparently... speed reading and speed programming it is.
If you know how to program already, shifting to Java is pretty easy. Starting from C++ and Python, I learned Java (enough to produce professional code anyway) in a week. Should be no problem for you.
Akri wrote:Operation: Write ALL The Words has passed the 10k mark :D
Man! I only wrote 5k words in the last month, and that's when I'm trying! Keep it up!
Akri

Post by Akri » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:35 pm

dudecon wrote:Man! I only wrote 5k words in the last month, and that's when I'm trying! Keep it up!

I'll try :) I'm finding that actually keeping a tally of how much I write each day helps keep me on track. There's a motivation to always do at least as well as the day before. Plus it tallies up the YTD total after each week, so I can see that number rise over time. Last week I was at 6830, and so far this week the total has risen to 11388. Seeing that progress is a nice motivational boost.
Retsam

Post by Retsam » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:14 pm

dudecon wrote:
swenson wrote:I'm learning Java in 21 days, apparently... speed reading and speed programming it is.
If you know how to program already, shifting to Java is pretty easy. Starting from C++ and Python, I learned Java (enough to produce professional code anyway) in a week. Should be no problem for you.

When I was learning java, I found these practice problems helpful. Granted, I was newish to programming at the time; so some of them might be trivial if you're already an experienced programmer and are just learning a new language. It's good for the mechanics of strings and arrays in Java, mostly. Though, I will say the recursion section is excellent on it's own merit; it's got a lot of really interesting ways to use recursion, like using it to search/modify a list.
mwchase

Post by mwchase » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:12 am

I'm working on developing an alternative to the Tattiebogle XBox 360 controller drivers for Mac, which behave badly when the user does careless things like plug a controller in. The basic idea I'm currently aiming for is, instead of writing my own kernel extension (as I have no reason at all to believe I'd do any better), I write a program in userspace that relays the input to VirtualHID from the Wiiji project, or something like it.

I've just now written the functions I should need to convert the input from the controller into a slightly more straightforward format. Next up: an inordinate amount of architecture to deal with the fact that PyUSB's timeout argument doesn't seem to do anything, as such, and testing that architecture to make sure that PyUSB is threadsafe enough to rumble the controller while waiting for input.
Akri

Post by Akri » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:44 pm

I think I'm going to be working on another small project this weekend: playing videogames.

No, seriously, it's a project. Since basically forever I've struggled with games that have free moving cameras. They make me physically ill (as do most home videos and "found footage" style movies with shaky cam). But for the last few days I've been playing Guns of Icarus Online, in first person mode (because I didn't know there was a third person option) without any trouble. No headache, no vomiting, nothing. And it's not like I'm sitting still or moving slowly--I play an engineer, which means I'm parkouring all over the freaking ship, doing fast turns and looking up/down a lot. By all rights five minutes with that game should have me curled up on the floor in agony, but it doesn't.

So either there's something special about Guns that prevents it from pissing off my brain, or else those 20+ hours of Tomb Raider got me acclimated to free moving cameras. To test this I'm going to play some other first person games and see what happens. If I do still get sick, then maybe I can at least work out why some games trigger it and not others.
swenson

Post by swenson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Sounds like an interesting personal project. I get motion sickness in real life, but I never have in a videogame, so I was quite interested when I discovered that some people do get it from first-person games.
Akri

Post by Akri » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 pm

It's actually not motion sickness when it's caused by a game, but simulator sickness. The two seem similar, but they're actually caused by different things (which is why you can get motion sick but not have any trouble with games, while I get simulator sickness but am generally fine in cars and boats and such).

It's been awhile since I researched it, but as I recall motion sickness happens because you are moving, but visual cues say that you are stationary. Simulator sickness has more to do with how you "look around" in a game without moving your eyes or your head. In both cases the brain gets conflicting data, says "we must be poisoned!" and then orders your stomach to evict the mythical substance.
swenson

Post by swenson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Interesting. I never knew that! I should do some more research on the subject.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:24 pm

swenson wrote:Interesting. I never knew that! I should do some more research on the subject.

"Research"
Moridin

Post by Moridin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:07 am

I'm working on a pen and paper system for playing thieves. Should have a testable version in a few days.