What projects are you working on?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: What projects are you working on?

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

The pink and the violet(fifth from the left) are too much brighter than the rest of the colors,so they are a bit distracting.

You mention pixel art,but I didnt see an example of that.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Illustration

Childrens

Concept

What is Chlidrens supposed to mean? Does it mean that you draw chlidren or do you make ilustrations FOR children?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Sorry, this isn't really feedback, but that Monarch Butterfly is stunning

EDIT: And the gauntlets
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 am

dudecon wrote:Any feedback on my commission page is welcome, I'm going to try to drum up some more business, and I'd like the landing page to be as friendly and helpful as possible.
http://peripheralarbor.com/commission/index.html

Well, it's not great, in my opinion. Everything is very tiny and austere, especially for something that's supposed to advertise products of artistic expression.

Flat design is nice and all, but it usually incorporates big, blocky sections and chunky, spaced typography to really make it pop and catch eyes. Everything just looks very crammed-together, I think. Could do with some extra padding.

As for usability: the navbar at the top is hard to see, it took me several minutes to even notice it. Maybe I'm just some kind of idiot, but hey, idiots make comissions too. You should put the navbar below the page title, change the background color so they don't run together, and maybe make the buttons look like buttons and not links.

The example thumbnails feel inconsistent. It feels like the bits with the text should be clickable, cause they look so similar, yet they are not. Takes some time to realize what's clickable and what isn't.

Not clear where the thumbnails lead: I expected that either each row will lead to the same place, or each individual thumb in a row would lead somewhere different, but instead they are broken up into sections which begin and end unpredictably. If you look closely, you can see that pictures from the same set lead to the same page, but with so many tiny pictures crammed so close, they just run together and look the same at first glance, even if one is a gauntlet and another is a mushroom. Maybe add only one image per set, and make it bigger?

The gallery portion of the site looks very different, which feels jarring when you transition there. Not an easy problem to solve, I know. Maybe try to make the landing look more like the gallery, in terms of colors and such? I dunno. Also, the "Illustration" column leads to a different site altogether, which doesn't help with the consistency.

Anyway, that was my twenty cents. Don't mean to sound overly harsh, I know what a chore UI/UX web design can be, just figured I'd offer some feedback as a user, hope it helps.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:39 pm

Thank you everyone for your feedback.
I'm realizing that, maybe, the old version was better:
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/commissi ... 09Archive/
At least it gives another data point.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:52 am

Thanks again for all the feedback everyone.
Daemian Lucifer wrote:The pink and the violet(fifth from the left) are too much brighter than the rest of the colors,so they are a bit distracting.
Adjusted the saturation, better?
Daemian Lucifer wrote:You mention pixel art,but I didnt see an example of that.
4th Dimension wrote:What is Chlidrens supposed to mean? Does it mean that you draw chlidren or do you make ilustrations FOR children?
bitterpark wrote: Also, the "Illustration" column leads to a different site altogether, which doesn't help with the consistency.
Removed the whole section. My sister never seemed interested in collaborating anyway. Mumble grumble ingrate kids...
bitterpark wrote:Well, it's not great, in my opinion...

The gallery portion of the site looks very different, which feels jarring when you transition there. Not an easy problem to solve, I know. Maybe try to make the landing look more like the gallery, in terms of colors and such?

Anyway, that was my twenty cents. Don't mean to sound overly harsh, I know what a chore UI/UX web design can be, just figured I'd offer some feedback as a user, hope it helps.
Yeah, it's no fun to hear, but your feedback was the kick-in-the-pants that I needed. Finally adjusted the gallery theme, which should hopefully make the transition much more natural feeling. Tried incorporating some of your other feedback... let me know how I did.
May need to Ctrl-F5 to clear the cache and get the latest style info to show up.

Thomas wrote:Sorry, this isn't really feedback, but that Monarch Butterfly is stunning

EDIT: And the gauntlets
Thanks Thomas. I took it as feedback anyhow, and gave the Monarch and the Gauntlets pride of place in the top-left corner.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 am

dudecon wrote:Adjusted the saturation, better?

Yes.And you put the gauntlet at the top?Niicee.
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 am

dudecon wrote:Yeah, it's no fun to hear, but your feedback was the kick-in-the-pants that I needed. Finally adjusted the gallery theme, which should hopefully make the transition much more natural feeling. Tried incorporating some of your other feedback... let me know how I did.
May need to Ctrl-F5 to clear the cache and get the latest style info to show up.

Yes, the transition is smoother now. And the landing flows better, I think this is an improvement.

The only issue I see now is that everything is still a bit too small. It looks like there's plenty of empty space to the sides, should be easy enough to just make everything bigger, especially the pitch text. Speaking of which, it could also use some simple margins, so it stands out more and doesn't feel so squeezed between the rest of the content.

If I may offer another suggestion, you could try Twitter Bootstrap to get some common visual components, like nice-looking buttons or typography tricks, with almost no time investment. It's effectively just a big library of predesigned styles for typical site elements.

If you can work basic html, it's quite simple to setup and use: you just copy the css and javascript folders into your site and then add the right include tags to the page ,or just copy-paste them from the Getting Started section on the site. Then, just look through the CSS, Components and Javascript sections on the site, find elements that you like the look of, and just copy-paste them into your page markup. Or just add their classes to your existing tags.

It's a great way to get some professional-looking elements, like dropdowns, navbars, slide carousels and stuff like that, without the time or expertise required to actually make them yourself. If you're curious, this handy video shows off how to set it up and copy elements.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:17 am

bitterpark wrote:Yes, the transition is smoother now. And the landing flows better, I think this is an improvement.

The only issue I see now is that everything is still a bit too small. It looks like there's plenty of empty space to the sides, should be easy enough to just make everything bigger, especially the pitch text. Speaking of which, it could also use some simple margins, so it stands out more and doesn't feel so squeezed between the rest of the content.
I'm trying to make it small enough that it fits on a mobile device, like-a-so: http://quirktools.com/screenfly/#u=http ... 0&a=33&s=1
This way, it also zooms nicely, so mobile users can pinch-zoom out, and desktop users can scroll-zoom in, as necessary. The design is targeted toward a 1024px wide display, which is a decent low-res desktop monitor these days.
bitterpark wrote:If I may offer another suggestion, you could try Twitter Bootstrap ...
That does look really good. I don't like the idea of installing a bunch of cruft just to get code examples though, and I don't see a way to get at the code examples directly. Part of the fun, for me anyway, is that my entire commission page is hand-made html. I'm trying to keep it as light-weight as possible, just look at the data source tree for getbootstrap.com! Four different .css files, and no end of .less files! I've got a single .css and a single .html, and even that is a bit much. I'd really prefer to put it all in the html, now that it's all just one page anyhow.
I am curious how they get the page to re-arrange to fit on a mobile device though. That's a good trick. Not good enough to lock-in to their methodology though. Or at least, not for me.

Daemian Lucifer wrote:And you put the gauntlet at the top?Niicee.
:)
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:19 pm

dudecon wrote:That does look really good. I don't like the idea of installing a bunch of cruft just to get code examples though, and I don't see a way to get at the code examples directly. Part of the fun, for me anyway, is that my entire commission page is hand-made html. I'm trying to keep it as light-weight as possible, just look at the data source tree for getbootstrap.com! Four different .css files, and no end of .less files! I've got a single .css and a single .html, and even that is a bit much. I'd really prefer to put it all in the html, now that it's all just one page anyhow.

Well, their site is quite a bit more complex than yours. You can actually do it with just bootstrap.min.js and bootstrap.min.css. Granted, those two will contain everything, and getting just the stuff you actually want to use requires using precompilers, package managers and other arcana which will take a bunch of time to figure out, defeating the point of the exercise.
Oh, and it also requires an include of JQuery, but that's practically standard for any website these days.
I am curious how they get the page to re-arrange to fit on a mobile device though. That's a good trick. Not good enough to lock-in to their methodology though. Or at least, not for me.

Modern CSS is almost a programming language onto itself, people with over 60 Madman's Knowledge can use it to do crazy things, even before Javascript.

That's actually the main selling point of Bootstrap: the grid system and responsive layouts that work for desktop and mobile more-or-less out-of-the-box, just by using the "col-" classes on the containing divs. Then, Bootstrap takes over with eldritch CSS and JQuery rituals, and it somehow works in the end. So long as you don't ask how many front-end developers were driven mad while creating it.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:35 pm

When time permits I've been working on a Game Grumps Animated. Not ambitious. It's more like a standard 11 Second Club clip in its length, but I kinda accidentally started it at 24 frames and just figured screw it, go hard or go home.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am

Okay, since I'm obviously a crazy person I have decided to take it upon myself and see if I can translate those games I was talking about. Specifically the Gears of Destiny (actual name Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Portable: The Gears of Destiny). I first tried my hand with one of the story lines in the first games and figured out some of the web tools I could use. Translation of that while not stellar was workable, although since noone has actually checked it I'm not going to post it.
But that gave me enough confidence to try tackling the GoD. And so far it has been going on rather well, if slow, for someone who actually doesn't at all speak the language but does know in general about the syntax and how their grammar in general works (the particles, the HIGHLY contextual nature etc.) and where to learn what he doesn't. I even found couple of unfortunate victims I can inflict my translation woes when I need help.
And using the finished parts I have subtitled parts of the game in the video form: The Gears of Destiny: English subtitles.

The process I have to go through is rather involved.

The first step is to record the parts of the game I will be translating in video form since I will later overlay subtitles over that in videos.
Next open the video and go to the line I wish to translate and grab a screenshot of the frame.
Use Kanji Tomo help OCR the text. Now I increasingly only use it for Kanji since I have learned most of the most common hiragana characters and can type them using the keyboard.
While I'm grabbing the text I'm usually inputting it into Google Translate. I will not use the Google Translated version directly since due to the contextual nature of Japanese it has likely messed up who the subject or object is, but GTranslate is good enough to let me quickly fact check if the OCR/typing process was done correctly.
Check if the Kanji characters Kanji Tomo grabbed and I visually checked are correct, by comparing what the characters are saying to the Romanji GTranslate provide. If there are a difference check the characters for differences and if there are none check the dictionary to see if GTranslate messed up the pronunciation for this context (yes same Chinese character can be read in variety of ways depending on context).
Once the OCR step has been cleared. We can move to the actual part of the translation.
Take the text and intput it into http://jisho.org/ which is most often able to figure out where are the words and particles in the text. Fun fact. Japanese doesn't use spaces to separate words.... Yeah. When it does screw up, which is apparent if the results are completely out of context and differ widely from GTranslate use a combination of http://tangorin.com/, Google Translate, actual voiced dialogue (sometimes they actually make pauses where the spaces might be, but not often) and Weblio to figure out the configuration of the line and add spaces at appropriate places.
Use tangorin and others to drill down into possible meanings of words and their conjugations.
Based on all of that once I get what it's trying to say write down the translation.
Quibble on wording and weather to stick close to the original wording or come up with something much closer to the English, and add another version of the same line.
Post the finished section somewhere and politely ask for comments from Midchilda Discord group. Make corrections as needed.
Once I'm satisfied and the ussual suspects have commented on the translation, go ahead and add subtitles to the video using it and post it to Youtube.

And if the person speaking this is speaking Kansai-ben cry yourself to sleep because I will have to figure out their Kansai bullshit different pronunciation using only the wiki page and couple ofther sites from the net. But mostly crying will be involved since they like to shorten long words and lengthen short ones.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Just to get myself more familiar with Javascript, I've been working on a little feature for my agency's Sharepoint implementation that would allow users to insert dynamic date functions into a page while its in edit mode. I'd add buttons to the Sharepoint Ribbon (its like the MS Office ribbon) and when you click them you could put the info into a dialog prompt and then the smart bit would be inserted into the page.

At the moment, the only function I have is "Days Till." It allows you to insert into text a counter that displays the number of days till whatever date you specify. I've expanded it so that you can type a holiday in plain text and it will display the number of days till the next occurrence of that holiday (slightly tricky for a novice like me, I have to account for both static dates and things like "Nth Day of Week within month." I'm basically running a loop for that at the moment). Thankfully, the Javascript date function is very flexible so I can leverage that flexibility in my implementation. It takes all kinds of date values so I can just pass a raw string. My input field will validate the date for the user.

I'm at the point where I'm working out how to add my element to the editable field at the current caret position (had a hard time figuring it out in part because I didn't even know it was called a "caret" at first). Once I have that worked out, I will try to integrate it into Sharepoint. Working in Codepen at the moment.

I was proud of myself because I got pretty far using pure javascript (to force myself to learn more about DOM functions). But at the moment I need jquery for a couple of things. I will refactor the code later in the process if I can but my team is ok with us using jquery. Thank goodness for that.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 am

The part that looks for the next date of a holyday sounds to melike something that someone allready implemented. So you might be able to find it and use their library?
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 23, 2017 2:28 am

Years ago, I was listening to Spoony lament that while he made good money doing his thing, it was very volatile so it was hard to get a loan if he wanted to invest and expand his operation. I'd heard of Kickstarter and thought maybe an automated monthly donation would be better and help Spoony with that problem.

So I had an idea called MicroPatron where you'd be able donate small amounts of money on a monthly basis to creators. The way I would have done it you'd specify a monthly amount and while you're browsing content, you'd click peoples' MicroPatron buttons and become a patron without leaving the page, some of your money would be split out. You could set minimum contribution levels for specific contributors if you wanted to maintain a level of contribution to get a perk. If your money is too split out, clicking the button would prompt you to bump your total contribution by at least a little to become a patron of the latest creator.

I was so excited about this idea but felt utterly inadequate to the task of creating it. My web skills were underdeveloped and I had (and still have) no idea how to network with other devs for projects like this. I actually emailed Google via a friend and begged them to create this because I felt it was important. My behavior was kind of embarrassing.

Then Patreon came along and it took off and I was excited. I was right. There was a place for this thing. I was content knowing that I'd been right and that the thing had been created by someone who knew how. Yes they did things a little differently but they're probably smarter than me and have good reasons and all that.

Now I'm not so sure. I've been looking at a lot of these and the contribution levels are all over the place. Anything from 50 bucks a month to recently I heard about one guy getting 45000 a month. Now I know why this guy got that money and I can think of a bunch of other people who could use that money and produce content as good as him and whom the patrons would probably like or if they were thinking about it they'd have given to him.

I'm starting to wonder if they should have done it the way I wanted to do it. If that would help spread the money out more because it would be easier to do. You just click a button and your money is split out. You don't have to check and see if you can afford it because you've already budgeted. This would lead to some weird fluctuations in income early on but I think it would be more stable and widespread in the long run.

So I'm going to give it a shot. Bare minimum it should be a resume builder. My ultimate goal would be to force Patreon to adopt my featureset by being competition. I don't want to run something like this long term. Too much stress.

Feel free to glance up two posts and see how far I am from having the skills to do this.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 23, 2017 3:15 pm

The big problem is banking. If you have people putting up $5 a month getting split 50 ways, the bank fees on that splitting will be FAR in excess of $5.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:20 pm

Supahewok wrote:The big problem is banking. If you have people putting up $5 a month getting split 50 ways, the bank fees on that splitting will be FAR in excess of $5.

Can't I just transfer the entirety of each patron donation to my account and then transfer the entire combined contributions to each creator? So that would be one monthly transaction per patron and one monthly transaction per creator.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Well, firstly, when you say "my account", I hope you mean "my business's account." That's just step number 1 to not looking dodgy.

Second, whether you can tell a person they're doing 50 transactions, but then taking it as one, doing your own splitting behind the scenes, and then giving it as one, that's legal questions that you need an accountant and possibly a lawyer for. I think Patreon does do that, but who knows if you need some sort of state license or accreditation or something. You definitely need to make sure you're following regulations as you build your site though.

The other big problem is that I dont think thats how human psychology works. Patreon already offers a level playing field, yet we see people gravitate towards strong, famous personalities with popular products anyway. I dont think people want to split their money evenly. Especially when patrons offer tiers of pledges with rewards to drive support.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue May 23, 2017 3:45 pm

Lemme put it this way: Patreon started a new market, and as far as I know, did not actively attempt to influence that market's development. However, that market developed pretty much exactly like any other market: a few folks with the right stuff hit it big, the majority (small businesses, if you will) either just get by or less. You seem to object to that paradigm. You propose trying again, but with an attempt at controlling the development of said market through a certain distribution plan. I, personally, do not think said plan will be enough when the mere inertia of standard market forces shaped your predecessor away from your ideal. However, I also wouldnt have guessed that Steam would be forced into certain consumer friendly features when they had a practical monopoly on their market, from the tiny marketshare of their competitors pressuring them. So I'm not always right.

My biggest piece of advice: if you're really serious about the project, do not do it alone. Partners bring new ideas, enthusiasm, expertise, and encouragement. 2 people have a lot better chance of success when they can each encourage each other in their respective low moments than one person who has no one to bring them up and they just crash the project.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm

Supahewok wrote:Lemme put it this way: Patreon started a new market, and as far as I know, did not actively attempt to influence that market's development. However, that market developed pretty much exactly like any other market: a few folks with the right stuff hit it big, the majority (small businesses, if you will) either just get by or less. You seem to object to that paradigm. You propose trying again, but with an attempt at controlling the development of said market through a certain distribution plan. I, personally, do not think said plan will be enough when the mere inertia of standard market forces shaped your predecessor away from your ideal. However, I also wouldnt have guessed that Steam would be forced into certain consumer friendly features when they had a practical monopoly on their market, from the tiny marketshare of their competitors pressuring them. So I'm not always right.

My biggest piece of advice: if you're really serious about the project, do not do it alone. Partners bring new ideas, enthusiasm, expertise, and encouragement. 2 people have a lot better chance of success when they can each encourage each other in their respective low moments than one person who has no one to bring them up and they just crash the project.

I don't want to artificially impose. I want to see if making it easier to contribute will cause people to spread their money out more. With Patreon, you have to go to the site, click through everything, set a specific amount for that creator. I'm willing to bet a lot of people think "I'll do that later" a lot and forget.

And like a said, I'll give people the option to set a minimum contribution and when they split things out too far the dialog will prompt them to add more to their total. But otherwise, they can click and spread their money out without having to add a dime or leave the page they're on. I think a lot of people would spread their money out more if it were just that little bit easier.

That 45,000 example, I think people flocked to that because of the anger of the moment. They weren't responding to his content. They were responding to him being censored. I think that money would be better spent if it were spread out more and that people would be more likely to do that if it were a simple click and no leaving the page (or maybe it goes to my page but with a button to immediately go back to the URL they were on once they've clicked Patronize or whatever.

From what little I've read about UI UX, even the smallest interactive conveniences can make a difference in your user engagement rate.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:44 pm

The amounts Patreon allows you to contribute to projects are already on the very low end, so I'm not sure it would make much difference to go even lower.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue May 23, 2017 4:47 pm

Trix2000 wrote:The amounts Patreon allows you to contribute to projects are already on the very low end, so I'm not sure it would make much difference to go even lower.

This is more about convenience, the more things you have to click and load, the less likely you are to see something through, especially if you have to change your donation amount.

Its the internet. As Tristan Harris points out, your dopamine reactions are being hacked and gamed left and right.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:This is more about convenience, the more things you have to click and load, the less likely you are to see something through, especially if you have to change your donation amount.

Its the internet. As Tristan Harris points out, your dopamine reactions are being hacked and gamed left and right.
I suppose, but Patreon's already pretty convenient just to set up a basic pledge so I'm not sure the effect would be significant overall. Maybe there's some value in having an easy one-click "pay me" button, but I feel like the effort required in setting something like that up in a way that complies with all regulations and such (and won't get misused or accidentally charge people) may or may not be worth it.

I mean, I wouldn't say it's a bad idea by any means, but it's risky and the benefits are subtle. Creating something like that would not be trivial at all, and there's no guarantee people would latch onto it. Difficult to say.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”