What are you reading at the moment?

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 am

Ive practically grown up with discworld,so I may be biased,but starting from the beginning and reading them chronologically is not a problem at all.In fact,Id recommend it.Because if you read just one series,then go to the next,youll be snapped back into the previous state of the world.That may not be a problem if you jump from the guards story to the witches story,because the settings are in different places,but going from industrial revolution to the guards,that would be difficult to adjust to.

Also,by starting from the beginning,you start with rincewind.And everyone knows rincewind and the luggage.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 am

My copy of Leviathan's Wake arrived last night. Haven't read much yet but I'm always fascinated by the little nuances between a novel and it's movie or TV adaptation.

For instance, in The Expanse, Holden never wanted to be captain of the Cant but in the Novel he clearly did. In the novel Nagata is a Belter but I'm pretty sure she's not in the TV series. At least, she didn't have the elongated features in the TV show that most of the Belter's did. Oh and Holden and Ade didn't have sex in the novel (I mean, they obviously did, but not in the few minutes we spent with them)! Gratuitous TV at it's best! Ade is also Nigerian in the novel and Caucasian in the TV series.

Little changes that have absolutely no bearing on the overall story, but I just find them really interesting. I always find myself wondering why the change was made and whether it was for a real reason or if it was simply "artistic licence".

Anyway, I'm planning on finishing this one before season 2 of The Expanse airs (which I believe is 1 Feb) so that I'm all caught up (and a little bit ahead) on the TV series.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:14 am

O.o Naomi Nagata is a major character in both. BTW finishing the book will put you WAY ahead on the TV series. Season one ends about half way through the first book.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:06 am

Steve C wrote:O.o Naomi Nagata is a major character in both.

She is! I'm... not sure why this needed to be mentioned? Unless you misread something i posted? Anyway..

Steve C wrote:BTW finishing the book will put you WAY ahead on the TV series. Season one ends about half way through the first book.

Good. That's basically what I want. On the few occasions I read and watch, I much prefer to read first. Context is everything!
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm reading Markus Heitz's Dwarves quartet of books.

Pretty high fantasy Dwarves vs Orcs Vs Elves with a smattering of Human mages included. Starts off so far so Tolkien (encroaching darkness, epic doomed quest to save the world, nature reacts to the evil around it yada yada) but then rapidly degenerates into a graphically gruesome bloodbath out OF KNOWHERE. I'm pretty sure I sat at work with my mouth hanging open at the horror scenes depicted within the first quarter of the first book.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Andrew wrote:In the novel Nagata is a Belter but I'm pretty sure she's not in the TV series.
I read that as "Andrew believes Naomi Nagata is not a character in the TV show."
gloatingswine

Postby gloatingswine » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Andrew wrote:In the novel Nagata is a Belter but I'm pretty sure she's not in the TV series. At least, she didn't have the elongated features in the TV show that most of the Belter's did.

I'm p. sure that's Main Character Syndrome with a side order of Syfy Budget Syndrome. Most of the belters were just done by "cast thin people" (and with people like Anderson Dawes not even then). Naomi is still supposed to be a Belter and there are clear hints about her history (that don't pay off in the books until Nemesis Games) in the series.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 am

Steve C wrote:
Andrew wrote:In the novel Nagata is a Belter but I'm pretty sure she's not in the TV series.
I read that as "Andrew believes Naomi Nagata is not a character in the TV show."

Ah ok, yeah that's my bad. What I should have said is "In the novel Nagata is a Belter but I'm pretty sure she's not a Belter in the TV series.

gloatingswine wrote:I'm p. sure that's Main Character Syndrome with a side order of Syfy Budget Syndrome. Most of the belters were just done by "cast thin people" (and with people like Anderson Dawes not even then). Naomi is still supposed to be a Belter and there are clear hints about her history (that don't pay off in the books until Nemesis Games) in the series.

I've been thinking about it and this definitely makes more sense. I guess I was just thinking more in the vein of Miller, in the TV series, is lanky and more in the frame of the Belter type that they cast for the series.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Leviathan Wakes now. I'm glad you all recommended it. As is often the case with this thing, the novel is infinitesimally better than the TV series (which is remarkable because the TV series is quality as well). I think the biggest difference I've noticed between the Novel and TV series is how they handle Havelock.

In the TV series he presented as a fresh cop from Earth who was struggling with fitting in with the general populace of Ceres, but not with the Cops and it didn't seem to bother him either. He was, essentially, a very minor character who was simply trying to fit in. After he was stabbed and then going through recovery (around episode 8, I believe) he didn't make another appearance in the season.

In the Novel, he is an experienced law enforcer who has a jaded attitude about the racism he experiences from everyone on Ceres - general populace AND fellow cops - he has a bit (lot?) of a drinking problem and a temper that is barely being reigned in. He presents more as an angry defeatist who has basically given up on Ceres (evidenced by his transfer request).

Aside from that, am I right in saying that Miller and Holden are the only characters with POV chapters in Leviathan Wakes? Doesn't seem like we're going to get any of Avasarala, who was a pretty big character in the TV Series. Is she even in the Novels or was she made up entirely for the TV Series to fill in the gaps in the political landscape? Yes, I could just flip ahead and check for myself but I'm afraid that if I do that I'll end up reading something I shouldn't and then won't be able to stop myself from continuing on.
gloatingswine

Postby gloatingswine » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:54 am

Avasarala is introduced in the second book. She's introduced early in the TV series partly to fill in the Earth perspective and also I suspect because she's one of the most popular characters in the books.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50 am

Of course she is popular. She is my favorite character too. Grandma spook.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Nagata is a Belter in TV show too. Explicitly so. It's said a couple of places. It is explicitly the reason why they choose to knock Alex out instead of her. (As a Belter she doesn't need as much oxygen.) I watched an an interview where the show producers talked about the lack of physical Belters on the show. The simple thing is that there was no way they could get actors that looked like Belters. Their compromise was to use it more like spice instead of a prevalent flavor.

How they added Avasarala to the show is kind of brilliant. It really changed the pacing as well as broadened the show into politics that aren't really there for the audience until the 2nd book. I think it adds a lot and one of the ways I think the show is better than the book.

BTW did you really mean infinitesimally there? (Aka tiny.) Not disagreeing but the rest of what you wrote, implies you find big differences.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:21 pm

gloatingswine wrote:Avasarala is introduced in the second book. She's introduced early in the TV series partly to fill in the Earth perspective and also I suspect because she's one of the most popular characters in the books.

That's good to know. She was absolutely a favourite of mine in the TV series. Like Steve says, her presence in the TV series adds depth to the overarching political scene that you just don't get in Leviathan's Wake. I think it's Havelock in the novel who even says something like "where is Earth in all this? You'd think they wouldn't let us go to war with Mars without sticking their noses in" - where, indeed??

It sorta feels like Levianthan's Wake needs it because it definitely feels like there is something missing when bouncing between just Miller and Holden.

Steve C wrote:Nagata is a Belter in TV show too. Explicitly so. It's said a couple of places. It is explicitly the reason why they choose to knock Alex out instead of her. (As a Belter she doesn't need as much oxygen.) I watched an an interview where the show producers talked about the lack of physical Belters on the show. The simple thing is that there was no way they could get actors that looked like Belters. Their compromise was to use it more like spice instead of a prevalent flavor.

Yes, I do remember this now. I guess the difference is in the novel they really go to great lengths to explain the difference between Earthers and Belters but obviously that's a lot harder in the TV series and all I remember of Nagata is someone who is shorter than Holden.

Steve C wrote:BTW did you really mean infinitesimally there? (Aka tiny.) Not disagreeing but the rest of what you wrote, implies you find big differences.

You know I'm not actually sure what I was trying to say! Sometimes I think I have a mild case of dyslexia because I constantly type things and re-read them a certain way, only to come back to it later and realise that I've typed something completely foreign.

Having thought about it more though, I think infinitesimally is probably the right word. The TV series was excellent and the novel is, so far, also excellent. The very small difference in quality for me comes from the novel's ability to flesh out threads in more detail than the TV series allows.

For instance, one thing that really bugged me about the TV series was that Miller never really had a clear motivation for continuing to chase down Julie. It never explains his switch from indifference to obsession. The show even goes so far as to allude that he took one look at Julie's pretty face and fell in love with her, which is the only reason he followed up on the case. The novel, however, sets out a clear path for how this occurred. First he didn't care about it, but then he found something interesting, and then something else, and then something else, and eventually it became a mystery he just couldn't ignore.

I guess the flip side to this is the contrast in how the Donnager is dealt with. In the TV series, the Donnager occupies the better part of 2 episodes and it ends with Captain Yao realising that Holden needs to get off the ship to prevent a war so she sends her men to make sure this happens. In the novel, Holden is questioned for all of 3 minutes and then the Donnager is attacked and after an undisclosed period of time (during which Holden had a nap???) Lt Kelly shows up to usher them to safety. I have a hard time believing that they did this because the Martians cared about the handful of Earthers and Belter they had as their 'guests' but it just wasn't explained very well, is all.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:18 am

BBC/Amazon are making Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens for TV. This makes me very happy.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 am

Good omens?That will be an interesting one.I liked some of their stuff they did with the discworld,so this will be nice to see as well.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:44 am

I have been reading the Dagger and Coin series of novels by Daniel Abraham. (AKA 1 of the authors of Leviathan Wakes.) I thought it was... ok. Not bad, not great. Just ok. I was reading it before falling asleep. However the end of the third book had a great cliffhanger. I'm thoroughly enjoying the fourth book and really into it. Reading it is now keeping me awake.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Good omens?That will be an interesting one.I liked some of their stuff they did with the discworld,so this will be nice to see as well.

For me, the Discworld stuff was always shot in a bit over the top fantasy way - whereas I always felt that Pratchett's writing strove to make the (non magical/deity related) environments as mundane as ordinary life until he needed it to be otherwise. Good Omen's, incorporating it's 'real world' setting and Gaiman's dark humour will need to be a bit more real and gritty - only to lose itself in the the ending apocalypse sections.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 am

I've just read up to the part of Leviathan's Wake where The Expanse season 1 finishes off so it's all new ground from here!

i find it really interesting that The Expanse took over half an episode to explain Julie Mao's story and they still managed to make most of confusing as hell (for instance, I had no idea that Julie was turning off all of her electronics because the virus fed on radiation) and Leviathan's Wake took all of 2 pages to explain it in a more clear and concise manner. Just one of the reasons I usually prefer books over TV!!
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:56 am

Huh. I thought it was very clear in the show.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:04 am

Perhaps because you'd read the book first (assuming you had) so you already knew what to expect?

The scene I'm referring to is when Julie is in her hotel room and she's just going around smashing all the electronics and there isn't an explanation why. I remember thinking that maybe the virus made her sensitive to light or something.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 am

Nope. Watched the show first.
Yup. Figured you were referring to that scene.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 am

That's interesting. Oh well. I thought it was pretty unclear.. maybe my mind was on a different path which is why... not important I guess.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:08 am

I also watched only the show and figured it out. The big clue is the part where they inspect the ship from which she fled. Everything is fine untill they start the engine at which point the goo lights up and wakes. I think they also do a similar thing to the people who they inject with the goo, they put them in chambers and then expose them to hard radiation.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:44 am

I'm not sure I understand why The Expanse felt it necessary to create friction between Amos and Holden.

In Leviathan's Wake they have a chummy, captain/subordinate, relationship and from what I have seen of it it seems to work perfectly. Perhaps The Expanse is drawing on what their relationship becomes in future novels, but obviously I don't know if that's true right now! Suffice to say, I like the dynamic of the Roci in Leviathan's Wake much more than The Expanse.

Anyway, I'm pretty much done with Leviathan's Wake (100 pages or so to go). Already looking forward to starting Caliban's War. I'm going to have to order the other novels now too.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:57 am

Finished Leviathan's Wake.

Didn't see the ending with Miller coming until maybe 3 pages before it actually happened. It's a good ending though and I suspect the basis for the season 2 finale of The Expanse?

Miller is a cool character though. I wonder if they will contrive a reason to keep him alive beyond his end in Leviathan's Wake.
gloatingswine

Postby gloatingswine » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Andrew wrote:Finished Leviathan's Wake.

Didn't see the ending with Miller coming until maybe 3 pages before it actually happened. It's a good ending though and I suspect the basis for the season 2 finale of The Expanse?

Miller is a cool character though. I wonder if they will contrive a reason to keep him alive beyond his end in Leviathan's Wake.

I suspect the season finale of the TV show's second season will be the end of Caliban's War. The end of Leviathan Wakes will be one or two episodes in.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”