The thread of interesting facts.

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: The thread of interesting facts.

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:18 am

JadedDM wrote:One hundred years? Where did you get that number? It would take a few million years to travel 40 light years.

With conventional propulsion yes.But the work thats done with laser propulsion* can really provide great speeds for interstellar travel.Of course,thats still mostly theoretical,and the breaking would be somewhat problematic(as in impossible),but generation ships are in the realm of fantasy as well.

*I talked about that earlier here.
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 am

It's also handy that each faction gets their own planet so I wouldn't have to share with Yang or Miriam.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:11 am

While you are not sharing a planet, now you have to share a solar system, meaning the battlefield is simply shifting from planetary to space combat.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:55 pm

4th Dimension wrote:While you are not sharing a planet, now you have to share a solar system, meaning the battlefield is simply shifting from planetary to space combat.

Alpha centaury in the world of firefly?Im ok with that.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 08, 2017 2:10 pm

If you dont have a license,you should never do mathematics.At least not in public.If you do,you run the risk of getting fined.Its serious business!
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 pm

JadedDM wrote:One hundred years? Where did you get that number? It would take a few million years to travel 40 light years.

I wonder how long you could maintain cryogenics in space (assuming cryogenics worked in the first place). Seems like you'd only need to dump heat waste during course corrections. Otherwise, just leave everything powered down as we drift to our destination. I guess you'd need some kind of time keeper which would consume power which would generate heat, to flip on the computer when its time for the next burn. Whats the least heat producing method of time keeping over time I wonder.

The other problem would be you can't use conventional memory as the OS would completely fade over that span of time. Fortunately, we could use crystal for a ROM driven system. It would be a really slow system but it wouldn't need to be fast.

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of: http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/new ... ta-storage

Its supposed to have an extremely long life. Its storage capacity is far beyond what would be necessary for an OS ROM but you could make a bunch of copies of the ROM for periodic error correction.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:...The other problem would be you can't use conventional memory as the OS would completely fade over that span of time. Fortunately, we could use crystal for a ROM driven system...
Vernor Vinge wrote a short story about an interstellar AI slowly loosing its memory due to accumulating errors. I think there was a backup ROM in there as well.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue May 09, 2017 6:01 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:If you dont have a license,you should never do mathematics.At least not in public.If you do,you run the risk of getting fined.Its serious business!

Well that's just silly. Not silly actually, but stupid. Especially judging by some of other cases they refer to in which the Board of Engineers sued people for "practicing engineering", even if they are experienced engineers.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue May 09, 2017 6:04 am

Arecibo observatory had the biggest dish until just a year ago.Its 300 meters in diameter,which is massive.Just look how Tom Scott is tiny when he is up there.Its a marvelous piece of technology.

Wide And Nerdy wrote:I wonder how long you could maintain cryogenics in space

If you can isolate it from the power source(say you put it on a 100 m rod),and you dont approach any stars,practically indefinitely.Its the wake up thats always going to present the problem,even if we figure out how to do it safely.Because,like you said,having a computer still operating after all that time can be difficult.Although,fully autonomous robots that can repair themselves on route by catching rouge asteroids to get materials for maintenance may solve this problem.But once you make such a thing,there really is no point in sending human popsicles along as well.A fully automated vessel is easier and cheaper to build since you dont need to build as much shielding and various biological things like air,water and food.
djw

Postby djw » Tue May 09, 2017 5:55 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:If you dont have a license,you should never do mathematics.At least not in public.If you do,you run the risk of getting fined.Its serious business!

Well that's just silly. Not silly actually, but stupid. Especially judging by some of other cases they refer to in which the Board of Engineers sued people for "practicing engineering", even if they are experienced engineers.

Have to really hope that the courts have the sense to end this ridiculous practice.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Wed May 10, 2017 4:03 pm

djw wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:
Have to really hope that the courts have the sense to end this ridiculous practice.
Absolutely, it's absurd. I'm one of only 54 people who is allowed to perform mechanical engineering for the public in my city of 80,000. I started a thread about it over here.
djw

Postby djw » Wed May 10, 2017 5:01 pm

dudecon wrote:
djw wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:Well that's just silly. Not silly actually, but stupid. Especially judging by some of other cases they refer to in which the Board of Engineers sued people for "practicing engineering", even if they are experienced engineers.
Absolutely, it's absurd. I'm one of only 54 people who is allowed to perform mechanical engineering for the public in my city of 80,000. I started a thread about it over here.

lol, point taken
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:42 pm

I learned today that the more proper (or perhaps archaic) plural form of bandit is "banditti," owing to the word's Italian roots.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”