The thread of interesting facts.

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: The thread of interesting facts.

Postby Thomas » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Apparently someone doesn't think that having a ferret down your trousers is horrifying?
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Steve C wrote:Videogame ads were arguably worse in the good old days.

According to those captions, the 90s took a few extra years to end?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 am

Thomas wrote:Apparently someone doesn't think that having a ferret down your trousers is horrifying?

Most of those ads are horrifying. Some are physically horryfying (like the ferret one) others are meta/ethically horrifying because they keep bringing the thought up "WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING!!!!?!?"
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 pm

4th Dimension wrote:
Thomas wrote:Apparently someone doesn't think that having a ferret down your trousers is horrifying?

Most of those ads are horrifying. Some are physically horryfying (like the ferret one) others are meta/ethically horrifying because they keep bringing the thought up "WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING!!!!?!?"

Although the last is obviously from Nintendo Power, I'm wondering if the rest were cherry picked out of Maxim, Playboy, and other "men's magazines." I certainly don't remember seeing any of them growing up. I do remember a commercial for the Game Boy Color where this guy's playing on a GB and the world around him was black and white, and gradually everything was filled in with color. Hardly racy.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:35 pm

Interesting fact:
If you put your finger into your ear and wiggle it, it sounds like the ghosts from Pac-Man.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:38 pm

Supahewok wrote:Although the last is obviously from Nintendo Power,

I don't believe it was from Nintendo Power. It does not say "Power" on it. I believe it would have come from a knock off magazine. Like Transformers vs Go-Bots.
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Supahewok wrote:Although the last is obviously from Nintendo Power, I'm wondering if the rest were cherry picked out of Maxim, Playboy, and other "men's magazines." I certainly don't remember seeing any of them growing up. I do remember a commercial for the Game Boy Color where this guy's playing on a GB and the world around him was black and white, and gradually everything was filled in with color. Hardly racy.

Back in the 90s, I collected a number of gaming magazines (the internet as it exists now didn't back then, so this was the only way to get gaming news). I've seen numbers 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10 before in those magazines, which included Electronic Gaming Monthly, GamePro, Nintendo Power and mostly Game Players (later called Ultra Game Players). I actually still have them all, somewhere locked up.

They were definitely from the gaming magazines, because I never had access to Playboy or any other men's magazines.

Steve C wrote:I don't believe it was from Nintendo Power. It does not say "Power" on it. I believe it would have come from a knock off magazine. Like Transformers vs Go-Bots.

Hmm, might have been from Nintendo Magazine, which was the UK version of Nintendo Power.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:12 pm

Hmm. I bow to your superior firsthand knowledge.

I guess the moral is that marketers are stupid and horrible no matter what decade it is.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:37 am

Ayup. I 'member all of them ads from mah Game Players Magazine days (all hail the coconut monkey!). They don make 'em like dat anymore nosiree.

...cept'n the Game Gear one and Nintendo Magazine 'o course. Back in mah day we put some gul durned effort into 'r adveetahzmints, caus'n we had to walk to get dat shit! None of that thar 'downla-whozeewhutsits!'
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:01 am

Narratorway wrote:Ayup. I 'member all of them ads from mah Game Players Magazine days (all hail the coconut monkey!). They don make 'em like dat anymore nosiree.

I remember the Coconut Monkey. And the Box. They were always shoving that one poor guy into the Box and forgetting about him.

Oh, in fact, that's where my moniker comes from originally. There was a regular feature called the Jaded Gamer, where one of them would complain and nitpick about silly things about gaming.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:28 pm

Ant hell is a place on earth
http://arstechnica.co.uk/science/2016/0 ... ns-bunker/

Workers fall through the ground into a place without warmth or light or hope where the ground is made up of the bodies of their dead and they're forced to drudge through their work in a pale mockery of the world above whilst slowly starving to death, only surviving by the replenishment of the damned falling through the skies.

It's the most horrific thing I've read all day.

It's like a perfect Eastern European novel ala the Metro series. Utterly bleak with vague themes of communism, the futility of life and suffering. All taking place in an abandoned Polish nuclear weapons bunker.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:58 pm

Chances are that one of the first art on the moon is a dick.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:56 pm

There is a weird tradition in the city of gävle in sweden.A tradition of breaking the law in order to burn a goat made out of straw.Why?Well,because its traditional,of course.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:There is a weird tradition in the city of gävle in sweden.A tradition of breaking the law in order to burn a goat made out of straw.Why?Well,because its traditional,of course.

Did you see the Tom Scott video about it too? Brilliatn. By the time he'd gotten home from filming it, it had burnt down already
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:28 pm

His delivery of the history was bloody perfect. Remeniscent of that Monthy Phyton sketch with the castle sinking into a marsh.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 am

4th Dimension wrote:His delivery of the history was bloody perfect. Remeniscent of that Monthy Phyton sketch with the castle sinking into a marsh.

[pedant] Swamp [/pedant]

Now, you stay here and make sure he doesn't leave
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Huh,it seems that heavy water has a sweet taste.Assuming that there was no contamination,this could mean that the sweet receptors also react to the mass.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:41 pm

It seems that having head lice can (sort of) protect you from being infected by typhus.Specifically,it seems that once you have head lice,body lice wont be able to feed on you for long,nor infect you with whatever they carry.This,and 6 other disgusting facts about lice can be seen here.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Murderous black market sand mafias is apparently a thing.Thats a thing I did not know before.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:33 am

Not surprising considering that in some areas sand might be an important protected resource since it's what brings tourists to their beaches and their coasts from flooding. Plus the ecological impact. If you regulate something heavily, and there is an need for such a resource big enough to drive the prices out of range for most people, of course illegal acquirement of such a resource would become a thing. And if it's illegal, which means possible prison sentences, the people doing it can get real cutthroat about it.

Although I think Tom is overselling the idea that building material can ONLY come from beach sand. There are plenty of countries with no beaches that have no building material shortages.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:53 am

4th Dimension wrote:Although I think Tom is overselling the idea that building material can ONLY come from beach sand. There are plenty of countries with no beaches that have no building material shortages.

Well ok,technically you can use any stone for concrete.But not all concretes are of the same quality.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Water pipes,sewer pipes,and now beer pipes of bruges.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:32 am

If youve noticed the google doodle of the day,then you know that theres an exiting discovery in the world of astronomy.Mere 40 light years away from us is a dwarf star with 7 small planets orbiting it*,3 of which are in the stars habitable ring.So with a single generation ship,in mere 100 years,we may colonize a world orbiting another star.Its a long shot,but one can dream.

*Im surprised they didnt name it snow white and the seven dwarfs,or something like that.Maybe red dwarf and the seven rocky orbs?
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:06 am

One hundred years? Where did you get that number? It would take a few million years to travel 40 light years.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”