The thread of interesting facts.

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: The thread of interesting facts.

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:55 am

While our solar system is home to some pretty peculiar and hellish landscapes,a red dwarf some 10 parsecs from us has an ice planet with surface so hot you would be burned to a crisp.

Also,the amount of planets we are discovering outside our solar system these days is amazing.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:50 am

Today, I found out that chameleons don't use pigment molecules to change color. They actually alter the spacing of a crystalline lattice inside their skin.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:19 pm

The IUCN is keeping tabs on humanity, just in case.

Choice excerpts:
A small group of humans has been introduced to space, where they inhabit the International Space Station.
Countries: Native: [EVERY COUNTRY]
Humans are found in a wide variety of habitats, largely thanks to their ability to use technology to adapt to and modify their habitats.
At present, no conservation measures are required.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:50 am

So um, interesting fact, it looks like the first episode of Black Mirror was much more accurate to real life than we thought.

There's going to be something interesting 'political debate' in the UK...
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:48 pm

The only thing that "Spoiler Warning: A sex machine for pig butts" got wrong was which end of the pig was involved.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:41 pm

Whats the big deal?It was a hazing ritual in college.I mean,who here can honestly say that they didnt fuck a strange orifice when they were in college?
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 am

Umm I didn't.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:31 am

That's probably been my favourite meme in the whole thing =D
"It's unfair to judge someone for normal teenage excess, so only judge Cameron if you haven't stuck your dick in a pig."

"Let he who hasn't put his todger in a pigs mouth cast the first stone."

"Boys will be boys"
"What did you do as boy?!"

"I never put my penis in a pig, but I am ridiculously PC like that"

Although apparently the french papers didn't think there was much in this :p
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:59 am

Thomas wrote:Although apparently the french papers didn't think there was much in this :p

Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:50 pm

Interesting fact. There's water on Mars. Flowing water apparently.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/28/us/mars-n ... ouncement/
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Because of Stambovsky v. Ackley there is one house in the US that has been legally ruled to be haunted. The house is haunted. Judges have ruled an opinion that the house is haunted and filled the majority opinion with ghost puns and Ghostbusters references.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:21 am

A Christmas fact for you all; the recipe for Christmas cake was lost in 1977 and all attempts to recreate it since then have failed. All "new" Christmas cakes are actually pre-1977 cakes which have been revived from cryogenic storage. At current rates of consumption, the cryogenically stored cake reserve will last until 2024.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:45 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:A Christmas fact for you all; the recipe for Christmas cake was lost in 1977 and all attempts to recreate it since then have failed. All "new" Christmas cakes are actually pre-1977 cakes which have been revived from cryogenic storage. At current rates of consumption, the cryogenically stored cake reserve will last until 2024.

What cake is that?There are a bunch of christmas cakes,varying from country to country.So which one are you talking about?
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm almost certain Lachlan is joking, Daemian :)

Merry Christmas, yall.
krellen

Postby krellen » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:24 pm

I always thought "Christmas Cake" was Japanese slang for an old maid.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:27 pm

According to Wikipedia, it was indeed slang in Japan for a while for any woman who hadn't married by the age of 25 (as in December "25th"). It seems to have fallen out of use, with the shift of women in Japan towards more independence in the last couple of decades.

First though, it appears to be what the British Commonwealth calls fruitcakes. Which we in America just call fruitcakes.

Interesting facts!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:15 pm

In order to be legal,drinking alcohol in usa has to be radioactive.Tom Scott explains why.

Though that video makes me wonder:Why would anyone make alcohol from oil?No matter how cheap oil is,alcohol is still cheaper.Right?
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:36 pm

My wild guess would be that it's chemically easier to produce it from oil. Fermentation is complicated and therefore can give widely varying results. Oil alcohol production might allways get the same result, a substance composed of hydrocarbon molecules with attached OH alcohol leg. Kind of like making and using plastics instead of "plentifull" wood.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Related to the recent comments in the Happy Thread, I felt this would better fit here.

I went looking for why American companies use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. Apparently, back in the '70's, sugar prices went high, while corn was at a significant low due to the government's corn subsidies. So American companies switched over. To this day the US produces far more corn than anybody else in the world, so it's more affordable here to use sweetener derived from it rather than ship in boatloads of sugar from Brazil and India, the leaders of sugar cane production. Mexico has a sizeable sugar growing industry, and although the US technically produces more sugar than Mexico, Mexico has far fewer folks to spread it out among. To this day Coca Cola uses whatever source of sweetener which is most affordable in a given country.

Despite Coca Cola's claims to the contrary, there is a discernible difference in taste. I can attest to it myself, and if that's not enough, here's a totally probably unscientific, potentially biased, extremely easy to have influenced one way or another test that was conducted to put the matter at rest once and for all, but since it agrees with me I'll stand by it.

And that is the story of how yet again the American industrial food complex has no respect for taste.
Kelerak

Postby Kelerak » Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 am

Food, Inc. touched on the fact that fast food is usually cheap because of the subsidies corn has in America.

Though most of what I remember about that film was that it's cheaper/easier to eat fast food and just get drugs for the health issues that comes with that instead of actually making a full nutritious meal. I also remember a chicken making a surprised face after being butchered, and 13 year old me finding that hilarious.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Tue May 17, 2016 12:34 am

Supahewok wrote:Related to the recent comments in the Happy Thread, I felt this would better fit here.

I went looking for why American companies use high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar. Apparently, back in the '70's, sugar prices went high, while corn was at a significant low due to the government's corn subsidies. So American companies switched over. To this day the US produces far more corn than anybody else in the world, so it's more affordable here to use sweetener derived from it rather than ship in boatloads of sugar from Brazil and India, the leaders of sugar cane production. Mexico has a sizeable sugar growing industry, and although the US technically produces more sugar than Mexico, Mexico has far fewer folks to spread it out among. To this day Coca Cola uses whatever source of sweetener which is most affordable in a given country.

There's an interesting part of that story you missed. Rewinding to before the start of that story:

Back in the seventies, the US got hit by a huge drought and farmers were absolutely wrecked. In order to prevent farmers from going broke, the government instituted a series of subsidies, most notably for corn.

Time passed and the drought ended, but the subsidies were still there. Whether due to the efforts of lobbyists, or simple neglect, the government never got rid of them. This was great for farmers because, hey, more money.

The problem was that it was a lot more money. So much money that you could farm corn, claim the subsidy, then set your corn on fire and still make a profit. So farmers started producing way more corn, the price of corn plummeted, and they kept growing corn because of the subsidies. This is what led to high-fructose corn syrup becoming a widespread thing: someone finally found something to do with all the excess corn flooding the market.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:21 am

Videogame ads were arguably worse in the good old days.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:34 am

Steve C wrote:Videogame ads were arguably worse in the good old days.

Ehh,I still think that your run of the mill freemium browser game with naked chick front and center is worse.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”