The thread of interesting facts.

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Narratorway

Re: The thread of interesting facts.

Postby Narratorway » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 am

Retsam wrote:No, of course I haven't spent like the last hour or so browsing and listening to Space Jam remixes, because that would have been a criminally irresponsible use of my free time and I'm a mature and sensible adult.

God...dammit Retsam! I was just about to go to bed. I changed into my pajamas. I'd brushed my teeth. I was ready for bed. IT WAS RIGHT THERE! IT'S NOW 3AM RETSAM! 3. A. EEEEEMMM!
rrgg

Postby rrgg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Today I learned that this is a thing

They also had a set with zombies, which was also labelled "Call of Duty".
Jexter

Postby Jexter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:21 pm

The Chinese ban on wordplay is likely an attempt to crack down on people who use puns to skirt around the online censorship filters. Obligatory link to the Ten Mythical Creatures.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Youtube had to change their counter because gangam style broke the 32 bit limit?Seriously?Thats just messed up.
A. Hieronymus Bosch

Postby A. Hieronymus Bosch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Google didn't think that on a planet with more than six billion people and growing availability to Internet access they would ever reach a third of the population in total view counts?

Horse shit.

Someone just never checked after they bought YouTube.
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:11 pm

On the one hand, a lot of people probably have seen it multiple times. Perhaps tens and hundreds of times in some cases.

On the other hand, 2+ billion is still a lot of views.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Trix2000 wrote:On the one hand, a lot of people probably have seen it multiple times. Perhaps tens and hundreds of times in some cases.

On the other hand, 2+ billion is still a lot of views.

And lets not forget that this is just the most viewed video on youtube.It doesnt count television and radio broadcasts of the song,or other videos of it.It is practically the only piece of media that is known by everyone in the world.Which is scary.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:54 am

Not excatly. Other are as known but in multiple EDITIONS. This is a single video, thus one edition that everyone saw.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:59 pm

You know youve reached a new low when you manage to unwitingly imitate a stupid moment from simpsons in real life:
KKK Wednesdays ad for doughnuts.

And the funniest thing about this is that it couldve easily been avoided if they didnt go for the pour literasee iz kewl,and just called it CCC,or,if they really had to name their store with two Ks instead of two Cs,a KKC.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm

I'm not even mad. Their total lack of awareness is simply hilarious.

Although, I guess to be fair, it is in the UK, and (AFAIK, which isn't much) the KKK was just a thing here in the States, so ignorance is a possible plea.
Laocoön & Sons

Postby Laocoön & Sons » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 pm

At the turn of the 20th century, to the British they were an obscure fact for Sherlock Holmes to trot out, by now there is rather less of an excuse.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Supahewok wrote:Although, I guess to be fair, it is in the UK, and (AFAIK, which isn't much) the KKK was just a thing here in the States, so ignorance is a possible plea.

While definitely funny*,their ignorance is not an excuse.Disregarding the fact that one can stumble onto kkk just by watching a moderate amount of television(Ive known about it since I was 9),just from the point of marketing this was stupid.Whenever you make a new slogan,or whatever marketing ploy,you should check if someone else thought of it first.And just 5 seconds with google will give you the klan splattered all over the first page of results.

But hey,at least theyve ensured that googling "kkk wednesday" will lead everyone to this spectacular blunder.So,their ad campaign was successful?

*Especially because of the order:Colouring tuesday,kkk wednesday,face painting thursday.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Dexy's Midnight Runners' Come On Eileen opens with a key change within the first 15 seconds.
Thanks to the way it's run into through the intro, for most people it goes completely unnoticed.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:46 pm

grahams_xwing wrote:Dexy's Midnight Runners' Come On Eileen opens with a key change within the first 15 seconds.
Thanks to the way it's run into through the intro, for most people it goes completely unnoticed.

Indeed I'd need some music education to even get what you're talking about and why its notable.

I assume I'd normally notice a bad key change even not knowing what it is and just not be able to explain what I heard with the right words?
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:
grahams_xwing wrote:Dexy's Midnight Runners' Come On Eileen opens with a key change within the first 15 seconds.

Indeed I'd need some music education to even get what you're talking about and why its notable.

I assume I'd normally notice a bad key change even not knowing what it is and just not be able to explain what I heard with the right words?

Yeah, a 'bad'* key change was all the rage in the 80's and 90's. Common in Pop and especially power ballads.
Generally come about with a big build up, perhaps even a stop and then BAM! Key change (usually up to a higher key) for dramatic effect.
Think Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror ("take a look at yourself and MAKE THAT....>CHANGE<") or Whitney Huston's version of I Will Always Love You (The silent pause, drum hit and the really long ..."And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii".)

Come on Eileen uses the same method to kick the song into life rather than prolong an already 'played out' track, makes the 1st verse sound brighter and faster than the intro.

Also notable for completely different reasons is The Beatles' Eleanor Rigby, which has a key/mode change at every transition from verse to bridge to chorus. When McCartney was capable of writing like that - stuff like the Frog Chorus really is a mystery

*In this context bad means naff or cheesy, deliberately done to death, not musically incorrect or atonal.

EDIT: As a musical snob - my father's undying influence on me, which I try to work on I swear - I fell in love with my wife partly over a shared love of screaming KEY CHANGE at each other in loud nightclubs while I was at University.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 pm

So the UK has pretty strict rules about political campaigning and the media coverage, which means today the BBC coverage is
"restricted to uncontroversial factual accounts, such as the ... the weather"

You don't get more British than that
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Thomas wrote:So the UK has pretty strict rules about political campaigning and the media coverage, which means today the BBC coverage is
"restricted to uncontroversial factual accounts, such as the ... the weather"

You don't get more British than that

Please tell me those last two words were loaded with dry british snark. :)
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat May 23, 2015 9:27 pm

Human Centipede 3 has a 1 on Metacritic. Out of 100
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hum ... ic-reviews
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat May 23, 2015 11:28 pm

Thomas wrote:Human Centipede 3 has a 1 on Metacritic. Out of 100
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-hum ... ic-reviews

This got me to dig around,and while metacritic isnt the first place Id go searching for movie reviews,its an excellent place to observe critic/audience gap.For example:

The best critic rated movie there,Best kept secret,has a 100/100 critic rating,but only 6.1/10 user rating(with only 29 users who even bothered to rate it).Meanwhile,Kung pow:enter the fist has 14/100 critic rating,but 8.8/10 user rating(with 470 users rating it).

Similar can be seen in video games,where Out of the park baseball has 96/100 critic rating,but only 2.6/10 user rating and Navy seals:weapons of mass destruction has 18/100 critic rating,yet 8.1/10 user rating.

And music has similar trends appearing as well.Ten freedom summers got 99/100 from critics,yet only 5.0/10 from users,while Julianas pony:total system failure has 38/100 from critics,yet 7.8/10 from users.Though,with music,theres a narrower selection.

I couldnt be bothered with tv show,because those lists suck there.

Also,the worst movie there isnt the human centipede 3,which has a user rating of 2.4/10(for now),but its rather 10 rules for sleeping around which also has 1/100 from critics,but only 1.3/10 from users.

And by the way,I must say how these aggregate ratings suck,because they put something with 100 average from 5 users above something with 99 average from 100 users.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Sat May 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Ice is a rock and the ice at the bottom of a glacier is a metamorphic rock.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun May 24, 2015 12:33 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:And by the way,I must say how these aggregate ratings suck,because they put something with 100 average from 5 users above something with 99 average from 100 users.

Metacritic aggregates from a fairly fixed and small pool of reviewers based essentially on the "respectability" of the reviewer*, so it minimises that situation as much as possible. There are going to be things which slip through the cracks, but they provide all the information to recognise when that situation is occurring, so as with almost all Metacritic problems, it's actually a problem of people not understanding metacritic/being too lazy to use metacritic properly.

*This is the shakiest part of metacritic rankings because they don't like announcing their criteria for "respectability". Presumably to stop sites gaming it in the same way that the New York Times book list gets gamed.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun May 24, 2015 2:58 pm

This is not really a fact so much as historical fact that I found interesting. I have to write a paper on history of satellite communicatons, and like I allways do I strayed a lot off the path. Anyway it gave me the idea to check on what really Konstantin Tsiolkovsky did that was important for Rocketry and Space Age. I knew about his name, and I knew they attribute the equation for impulse and dV to him but not much else. I thought that was basically it, he probably developed it not for space rocketry but for something related and the equation was simply coopted by rocketeers. Also that Soviet authotrities migth have overblown his influence. After reading about him, I have to say I was WAAAAAYYY off my mark. The guy should probably be called the Prophet of Space Age/Space Exploration.

Like he was born in 18 fricking 50 something, and did most of his work 1880-1930s. For a good part of this period the concept of even airplanes were a pipedream, and here comes a school teacher from a backwater Russian town writing about using rockets to send humans into space. How to construct those rockets. What fuels to use. How to DOCK those crafts. How can humans work in space. How to construct space habitats. How to feed humans in space by building green houses. Proposing all metal airplanes with advanced flight surfaces, for spaceplanes. Formulating detailed equations on nearly all major aspect of rocketry he could think from his scientific knowledge. Using cryogenic fuels to cool the rocket motors. How to control the attitude of the spacecrafts. And on and on and on. And he was thinking about these things, and thinking about them from engineering/science perspective, far before other people started writing about it like Oberth etc. And like any good prophet he was mostly ignored by those outside of his area of experteese, and never lived to see his predictions be fullflled to a ridiculous degree. Allthough he did reduce his pessimistic expectations of how long will it take for humans to get into space, in 1930s, from a century to "couple of decades".
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:57 am

So apparently kangaroos are left-handed, the first time a systematic preference for one side has been identified for any non-human species.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”