The thread of interesting facts.

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Thomas

Re: The thread of interesting facts.

Postby Thomas » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 am

The Republic of Nauru has 9,378 residents and 97% of males/93% of females are obese. It also has a 90% employment rate and has at various times tried out strip-mining, being a tax-haven, being a prison colony for Australia (=D), being poor and making money by being paid to recognise in the UN various countries existing and then changing their minds (they've recognised the existence of Taipei twice now).

They're led by President Baron Waqa (after an election held by Speaker Ludwig Scotty) and have 19 MPs, making that a ratio of about 500 people per employed politician
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:20 am

The island nation of Tuvalu derives a large amount of its economy from letting out the ".tv" domain. This has led to some complications, though, as Tuvalu's culture is very puritanical but many websites wanting to use their domain /aren't/, per se ;)
Akri

Postby Akri » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:17 am

I've been doing a lot of research into dogs (hoping to adopt very soon) and found out that next to Labradors the American Pit Bull Terrier has one of the highest pass rates for temperament tests, beating out several hundred other breeds (including golden retrievers).
Last edited by Akri on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
anaphysik

Postby anaphysik » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 am

Akri wrote:highest pass rates for temperament testes
I feel like there's a typo there...
Akri

Postby Akri » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:32 am

:D
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 am

Military submarines have been around since 1775. The first one, named the Turtle, held a single man. It was used by the Americans in the Revolutionary War in an attempt to sink the British flagship that led the blockade on New York. It failed.

The next completed submarine took part in the War of 1812. Again, the Americans tried to sink a British warship. Again, it failed.

The next one was completed in Ecuador in 1837. It was never deployed in a naval battle and the project lost all funding.

In 1851, it was Bavaria's turn to produce a submarine. It immediately sank but the three crewmen survived.

Chile made one in its war against Spain but this one also sank. This time, the eleven crewmen were all killed.

Both sides of the American Civil War tried to use submarines. The US Navy was in the middle of towing the Alligator to its first battle when it was caught in a storm and destroyed. The Confederate Pioneer was never used in battle. Then its replacement, the American Diver, was also caught in a storm en route to its first battle. Finally, the Confederate H L Lunley sank three times, killing 5/9, 8/8 and 8/8 of its crew. After being salvaged for the second time, it successfully destroyed a US sloop. Before immediately sinking.

It took 89 years for a submarine to be "successful" in a naval battle.

Additionally, there are only a few instances of one submarine sinking another and only one where they are both submerged.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:48 am

All mammals have about the same number of heartbeats in their lifespan (around 1.5 billion). A widescreen monitor (1920 x 1080) has around two million pixels. If every heartbeat is a pixel, this is about 12 seconds (assuming a 60Hz refresh rate).
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 am

After the largest bank heist in Japanese history, the thieves that took more than $5.4mil sent a thank you note to the same branch.
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:10 pm

Recently, temperatures in some places in Canada dropped below the surface temperature of Mars.

(I don't live in one of those places)
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:53 pm

You mean 20°C? :P (at noon and by the equator). The Spirit rover recorded temperatures of up to 35°C and it was routinely above 0°C, whereas the Viking Lander site recorded temperatures between -17°C and -107°C

Basically Mars has huge variations in temperatures depending where you are and what season it is. The 'average' surface temperature of Mars is supposed to be -55°C but all the news stories that went around about the Canada thing were just talking about temperatures of -31°C. I'm not really sure where they got that particular number from.

The coldest temperature ever recorded on Earth was -90°C in the Antarctic. In Verkhoyansk, Russia (which has 1,432 inhabitants for some unfathomable reason) they have a January average temp of -45°C and recorded a low of -68°C
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:20 pm

A real life Josh is operating in my town.Just look at the picture.The thieves stole everything that wasnt nailed down(and some of the nailed down stuff as well),and left only the toilet bowl intact.
McNutcase

Postby McNutcase » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:A real life Josh is operating in my town.Just look at the picture.The thieves stole everything that wasnt nailed down(and some of the nailed down stuff as well),and left only the toilet bowl intact.

"If it ain't nailed down, it's mine. If I can pry it loose, it ain't nailed down."
rrgg

Postby rrgg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:45 pm

If you have a sundial, a watch, and your compass isn't working because you're an early explorer in Antarctica, then you can use your sundial in reverse to figure out which way is north and south.
rrgg

Postby rrgg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Also, bring lots of dogs because ponies are a bad idea. And remember not to try and make most of the trek while pulling your sleds on foot.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:44 am

rrgg wrote:If you have a sundial, a watch, and your compass isn't working because you're an early explorer in Antarctica, then you can use your sundial in reverse to figure out which way is north and south.

Do you even need a sundial? I've often used the "point the hour hand of the watch (or rather, imagine one, since my watch was digital) at the sun, and halfway between it and 12 is south*. It works pretty well, though I'm sure there's probably some inaccuracy depending on the time of year, exact longitude, dailight savings time, etc.

*I imagine it'd probably be North on the southern hemisphere.
Indy_S

Postby Indy_S » Tue May 06, 2014 12:35 pm

The town of Coober Pedy, South Australia, population 3500, is known as the "opal capital of the world." It is the site of the largest discovered gemstone opal vein, accounting for more than half of the world's supply. Also, rather than build houses in the >40°C heat, many residents choose the hobbit approach and live in excavated holes in the ground. The first tree in the town was welded together from scrap iron.
rrgg

Postby rrgg » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 pm

A woman in Portland, Oregon had her car attacked by a high elf.

http://time.com/106492/high-high-elf-attacks-womans-bmw-with-a-sword/
rrgg

Postby rrgg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Eating dog meat can help ward off scurvy.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Wikipedia has a whole (huge) page dedicated to their lamest edit wars.It includes stuff like the edit war over what picture to use for the invisible pink unicorn,a bot waring with itself,and of course,this quote:

Both users were blocked for 30 seconds – "a suitably lame block for a remarkably lame edit war"
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:49 pm

I love how they have a nice big sign explaining to people that no, the sarcasm doesn't count as official wikipedia policy :P
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 am

In the Apocalypse cockroaches are one of the creatures that would struggle most to survive.

They're warm weather creatures (preferring temperatures of 29 °C) and actually now rely on human centrally heated houses to get through the winter. They can put themselves in a coma to survive the cold, so they probably wouldn't disappear, but there'd be less of them.

Rats would also struggle, they're also quite dependent on the human eco system, and humans tend to drive off their predators (for example birds of prey)

That video in the first link is actually just generally pretty interesting, and really relevant to the recent The Last of Us discussion. Apparently it would take dams about 300 years to build up enough silt to topple over. Linked again for your convenience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxCd2-7-aJA
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:06 am

So far, the best way to deflect an asteroid from hitting the Earth is very undramatic. You park a satellite in orbit of the asteroid and make micro adjustments over a year or more. The mass of the satellite (a few tons) exerts enough gravitational force on a 200 meter wide asteroid (millions of tons) to alter it's trajectory enough (microns per second each day) to cause it to miss impacting the Earth. All it has to be is nearby for long enough. This is called a Gravity Tractor and NASA studies confirmed it's viable years ago. Though it still may not be viable for geopolitical reasons because humanity is preoccupied with self interest.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:08 am

I was joking awhile back that one of the lesser known Rules of the Internet is: "There exists a Space Jam mashup of it, no exceptions". I discovered tonight that that's far more true than I had thought, as I stumbled upon an an entire subreddit dedicated to Space Jam mashups. For example "You're Not Slamming Alone" the Space Jam/FFIX theme mashup, not only exists, but works far better than it has any right to be. And of course, naturally someone decided that Pachelbel's Canon in D was good... but just lacked a certain 90's nostalgia quality.

Most of them seem to be roughly equivalent to the experience you'd get by opening two youtube tabs at the same time, but some of them actually have some modicum of planning and intentionality. Also, in some cases, the title and illustrations are as entertaining as the music, e.g. Slam the Earth (the Shovel Knight mashup).

... What? No, of course I haven't spent like the last hour or so browsing and listening to Space Jam remixes, because that would have been a criminally irresponsible use of my free time and I'm a mature and sensible adult.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:54 am

Retsam wrote:And of course, naturally someone decided that Pachelbel's Canon in D was good...

Whoever that person was deserves to be executed for committing a severe act of cruelty to cellists.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:56 am

WARNING:This is more disturbing than interesting,but still.

Beastiality is not exclusive to humans.Seals have been found trying to rape penguins.Its as fucked up as it sounds.Those poor birds.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”