TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
SpammyV

Re: TV shows are cool

Post by SpammyV » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 am

The new season of Channel Zero has begun, this time based on the No-End House story.

There's a big kind of difference between how I feel about the first episode of No-End House compared to Candle Cove. Candle Cove was more atmosphere focused, but I was very medium on it and only really grew to like the series after several episodes. I'm much more initially fond of No-End House though. I suppose it's because their going through the house in the first episode means there's more active spooks early on, and the spooks themselves are kind of the thing I go for. Things are frightening, but are they directly threatening? What happens is bizarre and difficult to explain, but happens quickly and quietly. Less body horror and jump scares and more bizarrely disturbing things. I dig it a lot.

So we'll see whether things get inverted between shows and the strong start here means that it goes into the dumps later.

Oh, and a new season of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is coming. I'm excited. I can't wait to watch Elijah Wood look concerned at things happening.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 am

Wow.I never wouldve thought that I would enjoy something made by Seth MacFarlane so much.But the orville is just great.Sure,it has juvenile jokes here in there,but the serious topics of that it brings up are tackled with sincerity and maturity that I had no idea Seth had.And it emulates the feel of trek way better than the reboot movies,so kudos for that as well.

Really,the biggest issue with the show is Seth MacFarlane.Not that he does anything bad in it,either as the writer or the actor,but his name alone carries a ton of baggage with it.Which can be seen in how bad it has been reviewed.

Also,its on fox,so itll be a miracle if it manages to last for more than a single season.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 am

Is anyone watching Designated Survivor?

I watched the first 2 episodes last night on my dad's recommendation. It wasn't too bad. It's odd seeing Jack Bau.. I mean, Keifer Sutherland in such a subdued role, but aside from that it's not too bad.

I tried watching House of Cards but there was something about it that just rubbed me up the wrong way so hopefully Designated Survivor turns out a bit better than that one.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:00 am

On the one hand, I kind of admire the brisk pace and how Channel Zero: No-End House doesn't cling to a pretense that the characters are in reality any more. They get out of the house but so many things are subtly wrong about their neighborhood and spooky stuff happens. And no one thinks that this isn't some new trick of the house or that some spooky stuff is happening. Heck, even the spooky "people" who appear in the neighborhood don't pretend like this is reality and the characters are crazy.

On the other hand I do think that the show reveals something way too early. Margot, the main character, is all torn apart inside because her father died because he didn't take his meds and suffocated from allergies and Margot was the one to find him, still sitting in front of a TV. Then she drops the bombshell that she thinks her dad committed suicide, that he knew what he was doing with his meds the whole time. And this comes in... the second episode. That really seems like the kind of thing that needed to linger longer over Margot and Ghost Nightmare Dad and her depression over his death and desire to see him again.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 am

SpammyV wrote:No-End House Spoilers
I can see that working if they have something else up their sleeve: either something else to add to that development/plot thread, or they might be resolving it earlier than expected before starting something new or refocusing on something bigger.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 am

Apparently there is a new X-men TV series that started today called The Gifted.

Anyone seen it?

Supposed to be good and apparently can be viewed as sort of a companion series to Legion (which I still have not seen).
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 am

Andrew wrote:Apparently there is a new X-men TV series that started today called The Gifted.

Anyone seen it?
I did. I liked it. Although it's my understanding it takes place in a completely different universe, not the same continuity of the movies or Legion (which I haven't seen).

I was surprised that Polaris was in it. I'm not sure if she's Magneto's daughter in this continuity or not.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:32 am

One bit of No-End-House that I think works is how the non-protagonists in Ghost Nightmare Neighborhood are close to human. It's a good point of acting human but being off, until something happens and the facade slips and they switch into a quiet mode where a non-human way of acting and reacting shows. I'm still enjoying it, the moments of "Oh they're not human" combined with the "What huh?" moments like a hall in the police station suddenly leading into an abandoned Soviet Bloc school work for me.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Is there a rule in science fiction that a sf show must do a time travel story,regardless of its setting?Because the only sf show I know that did not do a time travel story is firefly,and that was probably only because it was cut short.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Andrew wrote:Apparently there is a new X-men TV series that started today called The Gifted.

Anyone seen it?

Supposed to be good and apparently can be viewed as sort of a companion series to Legion (which I still have not seen).
Its doing the standard discrimination story of the xmen,and I was never a fan of that one,for multiple reasons.

I liked the kids.But not the other protagonists.Its not bad though,just not something Im a fan of.

However,Id recommend watching legion first.If for no other reason than that its whole season is out,while the gifted has just begun.

Im debating on whether to try inhumans as well.
krellen

Post by krellen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Im debating on whether to try inhumans as well.
If you do, feel free to skip the first two episodes; nothing happens in them that you can't pick up on from the "Previously On" before episode 3.
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:07 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:However,Id recommend watching legion first.If for no other reason than that its whole season is out,while the gifted has just begun.
Yes, I think I will do that first. It's been on my list for a while.

Also, apparently season 12 of Red Dwarf started a few days ago. I didn't realise.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Three TV shows in a week??? That's like 300% more story based TV I was watching before October.

CHANNEL ZERO! The last episode really worked for me. Everything seemingly normal but... off. It all kept adding to that feeling of watching something try to be human. John Carrol Lynch does a fantastic job as The Father, constantly wrestling with his inhuman nature and the implanted love he has for Margot because he's been made out of her memories of her dad. The show's still good.

GHOST WARS! Yeah uh... I'm only watching this show because I saw Kandyse McClure in the commercials and she was one of my favorite parts of Battlestar Galactica. So uh... Not exactly like I had high hopes here. It... might be a decent show after a while but I'm not sure. The first episode leans really hard on "Prejudiced townspeople hating on the loner freak and maybe gonna lynch him" and I'll be honest, that kind of thing holds no interest in me. It's like "oh no all the cops are good ol' boy thugs." I think it's incredibly flat and incredibly lazy. The show's not really scary, it's too actiony. I mean I guess I can keep watching it but I didn't have a real investment in the idea.

DIRT GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY! Alright here's where I'm extremely invested. Is it weird to say that Elijah Wood is a good actor? Because he did a real good job this week. Last season, Todd (Elijah's character) got a full dose of the fundamental interconnectedness of all things and realized that Dirk's not insane. There are no coincidences on Dirk's cases, and although it ruined his life it was still the greatest adventure that Todd had. But now with Dirk gone, Todd's grasping at straws trying to get him back, not just to try to save his friend, but to hope that the next case fixes Todd's life again. And Jade Esthe does a fantastic job with Farah, torn because she cares about Todd and thus needs to help him but also can't bear to see him chase a fantasy.

My only possible reservation with the new season is in regards to the Project Blackwing government conspiracy subplot. In the first season it was just a subplot with no real connection to the actual case. But the cliffhanger ending of season 1 moved Project Blackwing to the forefront and is the obvious thing they have to resolve this season. But Project Blackwing isn't the case, so... I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a giant plot tumor that detracts from the main appeal from the show.

*shudders* I still remember TURN.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:55 pm

Andrew wrote: Also, apparently season 12 of Red Dwarf started a few days ago. I didn't realise.
Neither have I.I get the cat,I mean he really is,but how come the scan didnt reveal rimmer as well?Still,that was a nice joke in the end.
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 pm

So, last seasons of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, I almost didn't realize that Aaron Douglas was in the show because his performance was so unrecognizable. And I mean that in a good way.

This season, I couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk is in the show because... uh... I guess I just couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk could be evil. I mean Aaron Douglas had a beard and hunched over and put a frog in his throat. Once you saw it, it was obvious, but it was enough to throw me off. Alan Tudyk's just sitting there being evil and I'm thinking, "Wow is that Alan Tudyk? No way, he can't be evil. Gotta be someone who just looks a lot like him. Wait, what are you saying IMDB?"
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am

So Ive seen the second episode of gifted and...are we supposed to root for the protagonists?The people who have destroyed a bunch of stuff,endangered a bunch of people,and hurt(maybe even killed)some of them,and think that its unfair that they should be held responsible for their behavior.And are we supposed to hate the antagonists?The people who have gone out of their way to non lethally capture some criminals,even though said criminals demonstrated that they have the power to level down buildings.

I mean the two scenes that are supposedly shown to oppress mutants are a scene where a girl is told to leave an establishment after she overreacts and damages quite a bit of it,because people were kind enough to not immediately call the cops and a scene of a crowded public hospital(which is something that already is a thing in public hospitals)where the doctor decided to call the cops after he saw two people were injured and lied in a very obvious fashion about their injuries(again,something that is already a thing in real life).

Its not a bad show though,so Ill keep watching.But Im gonna root for the father selling out the terrorists in order to help his kids.You know,the one sensible,if predictable,thing.Even though those same kids will,predictably,side with the terrorists and hate their father for doing the sensible thing.
Vulture

Post by Vulture » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:17 pm

SpammyV wrote: This season, I couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk is in the show because... uh... I guess I just couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk could be evil.
Alan Tudyk played a very good psychopath in another TV series (won't say which one because from what I remember it might be something of a spoiler)
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Vulture wrote:
SpammyV wrote: This season, I couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk is in the show because... uh... I guess I just couldn't believe that Alan Tudyk could be evil.
Alan Tudyk played a very good psychopath in another TV series (won't say which one because from what I remember it might be something of a spoiler)
I,robot?

I know,its not a tv series,but it was too good an opportunity to not use it
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:20 am

Stranger Things is back and it's basically taking most of my time this weekend. Seen 2 episodes so far and it's safe to say that it is even better than Season 1! That shouldn't be a surprise though. How could it not be better with Samwise Gamgee in the show??? These kid actors are really great and they seem like they are having fun which somehow translates into the show itself.

------

Also saw the first 2 episodes of Red Dwarf earlier this week. The first one I liked a lot. The ending was excellent if not quite obvious. Agree though that Rimmer also should have shown up on the scan. He should have been front and center really. The second episode was a bit of a letdown. I liked the premise but it's like they thought they were filming for an hour long episode only to realise they weren't with 5 minutes to go. Really rushed ending.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:25 pm

A crossover between orville and black mirror.....Now thats an odd pairing.And somehow,it mostly works.

Except for the intro.Its such a huge whiplash to go from a man screaming while electricity is pumped into his brain to happy music.I get the point of a teaser -> intro dynamic,but sometimes its just too much.Maybe they shouldve changed their intro to start a bit slower,like some shows do?
SpammyV

Post by SpammyV » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 am

Thanks to the magic of recording I was able to watch the finale of No-End House on Halloween despite missing it last week. Bless modern technology.

Especially since it was sooooo goooood. I thought that the ending was incredibly on point in terms of tone and resolution and explaining the meaning behind the most common visual metaphor strewn about and all the performances were lights-out good.

I wouldn't exactly trust my judgement between a show I watched a year ago and a show I literally just finished watching but I think I ultimately do like No-End House slightly more than Candle Cove. Candle Cove was more of a psychological story. Whether by intent or budget limitations there were very selective with their supernatural elements, and a good deal of the drama of the show came from the mystery of what happened all those years ago. No-End House has more of a monster story to it, although not completely abandoning depth in favor of effects and gore. Actually from what I could judge with my amateur eyes most of the effects were practical rather than special. But the framing and tone of the shots combined with imaginative ideas made them still effective. In addition to that kick that physical effects have since they are, y'know, physical.

Since SF Debris mentioned it, it got me thinking about enjoying horror for the speculative fiction aspect and I think that's a strength of No-End House. Candle Cove was less speculative, but it was still there. But with No-End House the nature of the House and the beings in it is explored, and I found it all very haunting.

So since Channel Zero is two-for-two now on "I liked this show" I'm going to go ahead and say that it's pretty good. I'm excited for next year's season. I have no idea if it's anywhere but I'd probably rewatch Candle Cove again because I think this is a good quality anthology show.
The Rocketeer

Post by The Rocketeer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:42 am

SpammyV wrote:Since SF Debris mentioned it, it got me thinking about enjoying horror for the speculative fiction aspect...
That's what SCP Foundation is, to a significant extent.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:55 am

I'm watching the reboot of Ducktales. It's really good.

You can really tell it was made by people who loved the original. For starters they went with the exact same theme song. Well, so close I couldn't tell. I had to look it up to confirm that it was not reused from 1987. To me that's a great sign when the people in charge like the 30yr old material that they decide not to "punch it up" and completely change it. That is rare. Generally everyone in a reboot wants to put their own stamp on things so they can claim credit for their changes. Not here.

I had my doubts about the show to start. The first 15mins of the first episode were not good. After watching a bit more I soon realized that those first 15mins are purposefully bad by design. They used it as a tonal change. IE the show sucks because the Duck family is apart. The show rocks because the Duck family is together. My opinion of the first 15mins went from 'bad' to 'amazing'.

My only complaint is that the color palette is a little washed out. It would be better with more vibrant colors. Especially for stills which look terrible and cheap even though the show is not. A minor quibble though. It's a high quality show. Strong recommendation.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Steve C wrote: Generally everyone in a reboot wants to put their own stamp on things so they can claim credit for their changes. Not here.
And yet,impressively,they did put a unique stamp on it,making it a distinct show,in some ways even better than the original.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:37 am

Yeah. It's definitely it's own thing. My point was that they didn't start changing things just for the sake of change. Something like the theme song is generally the first thing to go. I agree that it is better than the original. It's clear they are going for a cross generation show so it has to be. The writing is genuinely funny. IE Aimed at kids, and people who were kids 30yrs ago who are now watching it with their kids.