TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: TV shows are cool

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:34 pm

Rick and morty are squanching again!Witness it!!
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Watching The Flash. I wish they could set up a dramatic situation without the characters acting stupid. I mean I get things like Caitlyn hiding her powers because she's scared she's going to become Killer Frost. But Barry is so incredibly stupid for a smart guy.

We could even just talk about the fights. Every fight goes like this.

1) Barry meets an opponent he could easily beat with his super speed.
2) But Barry is too stupid to use his speed properly. Like half the bad guys have some kind of blast or projectile power and rather than running up and punching the bad guy because they're as punchable as a normal human, he runs around in circles dodging till the bad guy gets lucking and hits him.
3) Because Barry is too stupid to use the run up and punch method, he needs an entire team of scientists to help him figure out how to beat the bad guy.

They finally had him actually figure out how to win a fight on his own against Mirror Master but, spoilers, he doesn't just run up and punch him (which he had at least three or four opportunities to do), at least until after he creates his ingenuous trap.

But aside from that, its a fun show. They really try to give you the comic book experience in TV form on a TV budget.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:06 pm

You really have to either get used to the stupid or learn to ignore it,because it just piles up.But,if you can get past it,its really fun.Same goes for legends of tomorrow,which has even more stupid in it,if you can imagine that.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:You really have to either get used to the stupid or learn to ignore it,because it just piles up.But,if you can get past it,its really fun.Same goes for legends of tomorrow,which has even more stupid in it,if you can imagine that.

Not only that, Joe West is the worst cop ever. Keeping a secret prison for metahumans, ignoring other violations of the law like when they hack other people's stuff, and he just gave Caitlyn Snow a pass for two counts of attempted murder. I'll grant you sometimes they're getting into stuff like Earth 2 which is outside his jurisdiction. I like Joe the Father but Joe the Cop leaves something to be desired.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 pm

May I just say I love that they brought in the real Jay Garrick into the show and that he's not just a one off character? And that he's being played by John Wesley Shipp?

I used to have a framed poster of John Wesley Shipp in his Flash costume in my room as a boy when he was playing the Flash. Its wonderful to see him back in costume again, and I've always been a fan of the Jay Garrick design.

I also don't mind at all that he's playing the Max Mercury role. Its efficient and it makes sense to transfer those traits to him.

Normally a show like this would simplify things more than this but as I type this, I'm looking at Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, and Wally West on screen together. I don't even care that Wally isn't the white red-head that I grew up with, they got the character right and he's wearing that classic Kid Flash costume. The Flashes have some great costumes.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:15 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:You really have to either get used to the stupid or learn to ignore it,because it just piles up.But,if you can get past it,its really fun.Same goes for legends of tomorrow,which has even more stupid in it,if you can imagine that.

Did you ever end up watching season 2 of Legends?

You're missing out on some of the silliest silliness ever to grace a TV screen if you haven't. :P
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm

Another version of mr poopybutthole?So this must mean another episode of not the main rick and morty.And with that 10 adventure card thing,I wonder how many episodes followed the c137 cast anyway.Damn this show is convoluted.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Ducktales re-eboot!

No one is watching this?Why not?Its really good.You definitely sho-ould.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Well, I never watched the original growing up and it's not on Netflix, sooooooo

Although weirdly enough, when I went to Netflix to check for it, one of the "Titles related to Ducktales" to pop up was the Super Mario Brothers Super Show.

...I dunno, I'm so used to Netflix not having the rights to stream much of anything on it anymore that an 80's Mario cartoon showing up just completely flabbergasts me. I mean, I don't know if the SMBSS is any good or not, but... seriously, they have an 80's Mario cartoon and not M*A*S*H or Jackie Chan movies or any of the other stuff I want to watch?
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:48 pm

I saw it and I loved it. It was far superior to the original even, somehow exceeding my already hyped up expectations. I can't wait for the next episode, but it won't come out for another month, sadly.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

I made a mistake back in april,when I first saw american gods was on.I didnt want to watch it,because I thought it was going to suck.I did watch the first episode now and damn that was good.I am surprised that no one has talked about it yet.

But what I would really like to know is:Has someone watched it who hasnt read the book before?What does someone who doesnt know who each of these people are think of the show?
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 pm

I have not read American Gods. I have not watched the show either. I'm not a big Neil Gaiman fan. I like Lucifer and adored Good Omens. I figured it was mainly Pratchett I was enjoying there. I wasn't crazy about Stardust (both book and film). I straight up disliked Coraline. American Gods was on my list of things I probably should read. I don't know much about it. No characters or anything. All I knew was the cover blurb. It did not excite me.

Now that said... I'm ok with being a guinea pig. If the show is good and you can recommend it on it's own merits, I'm ok with watching it first and reporting back. Do you think that has merit?

BTW I wondered why they never made a Good Omens TV show. So I looked it up. :-D
In April 2016, Gaiman announced that as the result of a posthumous request from Pratchett he was writing the scripts for a six-part television series.[17] In January 2017, further details emerged. Amazon.com announced that Gaiman will adapt Good Omens into a "comedic apocalyptic" miniseries, set to be released on Prime Video in 2018. The adaption will be a six-part limited comedy series for Amazon and the BBC, and Gaiman will also serve as showrunner.[18] On August 14, 2017 Michael Sheen and David Tennant were announced as having been cast in the lead roles of the forthcoming miniseries.[19]
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Steve C wrote:Do you think that has merit?

The show has good acting and very nice effects.It has a huge dreamlike quality.But,I dont know how someone with no knowledge of the book would follow the story,especially the little "somewhere/sometime in america" intermissions.They help the feeling of the work,but they can be a bit confusing if you dont know whats going on.Definitely try the first episode if you enjoy surreal works.And if you manage to go further,Id love to hear your thoughts.

Steve C wrote:BTW I wondered why they never made a Good Omens TV show. So I looked it up. :-D

Thats good to know.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:20 pm

I watched with several people who haven't read the book, and they're not having any problems. I'm not even telling them stuff about the book.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:53 pm

I just watched the first episode of American Gods. I did not like it. It's not my thing. I plan to watch the 2nd episode regardless. It is very different and different is good. It reminds me of Legion. In fact...
Steve C wrote:I watched the newest episode of "Legion." When it was done I wanted to watch more. I'm not convinced it is a good show. It is a fascinating show. It is unlike anything else I've seen. It is its own (crazy) thing. I use 'thing' on purpose. It's less a show then it is someone else's fever dream on screen.

Yup. Definitely reminds me of Legion. I'm ok with that. I was entertained by Legion. Is the start of the book version of American Gods anything like the first episode? If so, I'm glad I skipped reading it. I know I would not have enjoyed reading any part of what I saw in the first episode. I'm willing to give it a chance in this media. I do not like surreal works. I can be entertained by an interesting one though. One thing that might drive me a way is the music.

Did you have any questions for me? You wanted to know if someone who hasn't read the books can follow the story. I believe so. There isn't much of a story. Classic reluctant 'heroes journey' stuff so far. Loss of previous ties and world now entering a new fantastical world + some character introductions.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:46 pm

Good comparison.Its definitely similar to legion.Not as crazy as legion,but definitely with its share of weirdness.And it takes time for stuff to make sense.

As for the book,from what Ive seen so far,the show is rather faithful to the book.Though it does shuffle some stuff around and changes some details,but it generally follows the same path.Surreal works tend to work better visually though.

As for the music,its a pretty big part of the show and it remains throughout it.Especially in the dream sequences.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:37 am

I finished watching the second episode. I believe I've figured out a few things... First I would hate the book. I'm glad I didn't read it. I don't think I will ever come to like the show. American Gods is holding my interest but its grip is loose. (Legion was better.) There are a lot of scenes (and music) that make want to turn it off. I believe I figured out where the story is eventually going in the car ride playing with coins. There were a few key phrases used in that scene. Further scenes confirmed it for me. These aren't real spoilers because it's just my opinion. I'm going to tag it anyway:

Shadow Moon is on a path to become the next god. He represents the belief that a man can get out of prison and make something of himself through grit and determination when the world is stacked against him. IE the stories men tell each other in prison. Odin is the Allfather. He's fathering a new god. The conflict is between the old gods that were brought to America from the rest of the world vs the new American gods of celebrity, status, information tech and technology in general. Both sides want Shadow Moon to join them. I cannot match specific characters to specific gods. For example I don't know who the sisters are supposed to be and the leprechaun could of been Loki. I don't feel that it matters nor that it is necessary to know. I get the general gist.

Mainly I'm watching American Gods because it's not dumbed down. I'm really sick and tired of shows treating the audience as though it's brain dead. I've never been a big Game of Thrones fan but I liked it because it didn't treat the audience as brain dead. Not until the show outpaced the books. Then omg did it ever make up for lost time. The last season was fucking awful because of how dumbed down it got. (GoT we are not toddlers. We have object permanence. I can remember the fucking dagger. You don't need to go over it yet again. It's not more important because you went over it 5 times. Wow the big payoff was the giant drama of killing a guy with his own dagger. Wow. I'm so impressed you spent 30+mins of cumulative screen time for something that didn't matter. What a lost opportunity in the Red Wedding! If only the x-bow that killed Robb had a dramatic backstory! Then that scene would have mattered. /rant)

Point is that any show that isn't set on spoon feeding me paste has a chance with me these days. Faint praise for American Gods; "It's not spoon feeding me. It's not paste." It's all I can give it. Sadly it's enough.

BTW are all the Netflix title sequences that same art style? I haven't seen many Netflix Orginals. I previously assumed all the Marvel ones had that same computer art style because they are all Marvel. The ones I have seen feel like the opening credit sequence were made by the same person.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Heh,practically everything in that spoiler is wrong.If you wish to stop watching Ill spoil the whole thing for you,so no pressure.

There is one scene in the book that they did not include in the show that wouldve tipped you off about the end.I get why it wasnt included,and the bank scene in episode 3 can work to kind of replace it,but not quite.

The sisters are from russian folklore.They are morning,twilight and midnight.And the two brothers are white god and dark god,gods of day and night.Though only dark one is shown in the show(czernobog),but he mentions the other one.

The leprechaun is just a leprechaun.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:31 pm

That's cool. I'm glad to be wrong as I like to be surprised. I will still want to know the cliff notes if I stop watching. I watched the Laura flashback eps. That was pretty good.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Just finished season 3 of Dark Matter. Pretty good series on the whole. An improvement over season 2 which was a little bit and miss for me. Thought the 'glimpse of the future with cryptic references to future events' thing followed by all the cryptic references turning up in which succession was a little heavy handed but I've seen worse.

And then I learn that the show has now been cancelled so there won't be a season 4.

Arse. That was one of the few shows on TV I bothered recording and watching well by week.

At least the next series of Taskmaster starts next week, which might just be the best thing on TV right now for my money.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 am

Finally finished the first season of american gods.Its a shame that it got split like that.But that gives them more room to film stuff so Im kind of ok with it.The little stories about how old gods came to the usa are a delight,and it would be a shame to not include them.

The portrayal of technical boy is really interesting when you take into account that he (mostly) represents the internet,and the two older new gods are kind of his parents."Sorry for lynching you" is such a perfect line.I can see a twelve year old apologizing just like that for instigating a kkk rally over twitter.

Media is fabulous.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:27 pm

I also just finished the first season of American Gods. Segments managed to be entertaining while the whole was completely unsatisfying. The characters traveled all over the country while the story went absolutely nowhere.

"And then..." writing is why I'm not particularly fond of Neil Gaiman. He doesn't do it every time. When he does, hoy boy... he really does. The show was just a bunch of unconnected things that happened. I don't mean the short stories either. I mean the primary arc. Two perfect examples of disconnected "And then..." writing are Bliquis and Vulcan. Bilquis is in every single episode. She has nothing to do with any episode, the plot, nor main characters. And no, seeing her backstory and how she twice interacted with one minor character does not count. Vulcan reveals he has told team-new-gods Odin is with him. That it is a trap basically. I have no issue with any of Vulcan's scenes. The NEXT scene has to be the new gods showing up. IE the next story beat has to follow somehow from the 'trap'. It doesn't. It is like the new gods were never told.

The second to last episode was a complete filler episode. The start of that episode is when I saw the non-ending coming. It was still salvageable at that point. The show could have brought the threads together in the second to last episode. Then tied a satisfying bow in the final episode. Instead the final episode had no climax nor reveal nor reversal. It really had nothing. I never liked the show. I did feel it could be satisfying entertainment. It wasn't. Without a decent ending it was unsatisfying. Which in turn spoils the entertaining parts that came before.

So did you have any questions for me?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Steve C wrote:So did you have any questions for me?

Nah,you were thorough enough.

Anyway,I agree that they have stretched things too much.Two seasons I can see them doing,but three is a stretch.Therefore,filler.

And while the show is mostly faithful to the book,and the feel is the same,there are some very crucial differences.So Im going to describe the major difference in spoilers,and you should read it only if you dont plan to watch the second season:

The biggest difference is that in the early chapters odin teaches shadow a lot of stuff about grifting with a partner,and they do more scams than just the bank one.This is a pretty major foreshadowing and pays off later in the story.In the show,theyve cut this and replaced it with shadow already knowing the tricks,which is not a change Im fully in support of.

One other,non spoiler difference is that the book explains a bit more how sacrificing in the name of a god is more powerful than just believing in one or praying to them.This is one of the biggest points of contention between the old ones and the new ones.People do believe in media and technology,but rarely,if ever, does anyone get sacrificed specifically in the name of television or the web.Thats why the deaths odin dedicated to easter were such a big deal in the show.
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 am

I'm rewatching Agatha Christie's "Poirot". 'sfunny how I read most of her books and have absolutely seen all the episodes, some several times, but only remember the culprit in about half of them. It also makes me crave silly stuff like those little cute cake and cookie thingies they always eat and abominable stuff like milk in my tea; also I want a lot of actors from the series go and voice all my video games (mind you, quite a few of them are already doing that).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:31 pm

A pretty straightforward episode of rick and morty,no surprises.But one question remains unanswered though:How does a human fuck a mermaid?

Also,I wonder ifshady rick was controlled by evil morty,so he could gain sympathy votes after his assassination attempt.

And one interesting theory Ive heard is that evil mortys original rick is c137.Mostly because we were shown that memory of him playing with baby morty,even though he abandoned beths mother long before morty was born,and came back when morty was grown up.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”