TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Supahewok

Re: TV shows are cool

Postby Supahewok » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:09 am

The Rocketeer wrote:That feeling when you want to incite an argument over whether Korra should go in this thread or the anime thread, but you know you shouldn't (and you also have no opinion).

THE CITIZEN KANE OF ANIME IS JAMES CAMERON'S AVATAR
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:15 am

They need to make a Legend of Korra game with randomly-generated environments and permadeath, so the people that argue about anime/not anime converge with the people that argue roguelike/roguelite.

The punchline is that we exterminate all of them.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 am

The Rocketeer wrote:They need to make a Legend of Korra game with randomly-generated environments and permadeath, so the people that argue about anime/not anime converge with the people that argue roguelike/roguelite.

Ah,but would that be a game or just a meta simulator,which is clearly not a game.
mwchase

Postby mwchase » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:56 am

But Avatar is concerned with war and politics. You'd need some kind of... grand strategy game... where it would actually make sense that you keep controlling different characters. ... First-person grand strategy where the strategy interface is diegetic... I'm really sleepy and these are probably terrible ideas...
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:14 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
The Rocketeer wrote:They need to make a Legend of Korra game with randomly-generated environments and permadeath, so the people that argue about anime/not anime converge with the people that argue roguelike/roguelite.

Ah,but would that be a game or just a meta simulator,which is clearly not a game.

It can attract the "This is/isn't a videogame" crowd too, excellent!
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:16 am

It's anime if TvTropes categorizes it as anime. Legend of Korra isn't anime. </debate>

In seriousness, I don't think there'd be a debate in the first place if Western Animation was ever used for something that wasn't a show written for kids, an adult comedy, or Legend of Korra.

It's like if all live action films came from Bollywood, and then Slumdog Millionaire came out and people had vigorous semantic debates over whether Slumdog Millionaire is "Bollywood" or not. As far as I can tell, that never happened, despite that Slumdog Millionare basically is to bollywood what Korra is to anime.

Animation is a great medium for television, it's honestly kinda odd it gets such limited use outside of Japan. If animation were better respected, I think we'd have better Sci-fi and Fantasy television, and not just a million office comedies, or police procedurals, or other shows that can be filmed on a shoestring budget.

Actually, I'm a bit excited for the Netflix Castlevania series, not because I care about Castlevania, or actually intend to watch it, but just because I'm excited to see more western animation. The "it's never gonna happen, but I can dream" would be to see an animated adaptation of Wheel of Time or Brandon Sanderson's stuff or something.

But, sure, whatever. Legend of Korra is the best anime, except maybe for RWBY.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:13 am

Retsam wrote:It's like if all live action films came from Bollywood, and then Slumdog Millionaire came out and people had vigorous semantic debates over whether Slumdog Millionaire is "Bollywood" or not. As far as I can tell, that never happened, despite that Slumdog Millionare basically is to bollywood what Korra is to anime.

Hey thats a good point.Is slumdog millionaire bollywood or hollywood?We need to settle this once and for all!
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 am

The Rocketeer wrote:That feeling when you want to incite an argument over whether Korra should go in this thread or the anime thread, but you know you shouldn't (and you also have no opinion).

Are you actually trying to start a flamewar!??!
Then again apart from you and Spammy, I don't know anyone else who posts there often enough to care.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:17 am

I realize now the greatest thing I could do is post about watching Korra in the anime thread, without referencing this conversation at all. But I don't even know enough about the show to fake it.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:33 am

I'd be super impressed if you watched a whole season of Korra, just to troll people by posting about it in the anime thread. That's like next-level trolling.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:37 am

Meh, I don't watch anime.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 am

:p I'd probably fall on anime too. I guess I don't use the anime thread as much. Also, I've watched more anime since I formed that opinion
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Legend of Korra is trash, but I don't think it's quite trashy enough to be considered an anime.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Sudanna wrote:Legend of Korra is trash, but I don't think it's quite trashy enough to be considered an anime.

Also,korra is of legal age.Original avatar on the other hand,yeah that one has it all.Chibi kids,crazy old men,sexual tension between the guys,under aged girls,its definitely an anime.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Mmm, no, it doesn't have mechas.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Yeah, they were saving that particular shark for Korra to jump.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:21 am

Sudanna wrote:Mmm, no, it doesn't have mechas.

You say that, but didn't the Fire Nation have like Firebending powered tanks, airships and such? As mecha as you could expect from the setting.
Then again Kora solved that problem and had an actual gigantic mecha for the final fight...
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:19 am

The ending of Korra Season 2 got pretty Pacific Rim, too, for that matter.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:29 am

"tanks and airships are mecha" is a new kinda categorization hierarchy reversal to me
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Not knowing the difference between steampunk and mecha? The hell kinda nerds are you!?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Narratorway wrote:Not knowing the difference between steampunk and mecha? The hell kinda nerds are you!?

Theres a difference?Pfft,next youll tell me that theres a difference between legend of korra and sailor moon.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Saw the first episode of The Expanse.

Between Cyberpunk, Dark Matter and this I have to ask if there's a space/future show out there with non evil capitalism. Would be nice to have even one.

At least the darkness/emo aesthetic makes some sense on a space show. I guess in spite of the fact that light is super cheap even in our time, space stations would be lit like a medieval castle on a stormy moonless night. It perpetuates the stereotype that the only thing capitalists know how to do is cut costs. In real life we know how to get the most out of what we spend and we're willing to spend more on our people if it helps get the best out of them. At least some places know how to do that.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:15 am

The thing about antagonists is that they, by definition, must antagonize. Why would a good capitalist organization be an antagonist? And if they aren't an antagonist, then why are you spending screen time on them? If they are an ally, then since a sufficiently sized capitalist force will have loads of money, the good guys aren't going to be underdogs, and where's the darkness aesthetic in that?

Furthermore, higher concept sci fi stories typically revolve around an issue that the sci fi is commenting on. How would a "good" capitalist organization be an issue, compared to a bad one which has obvious issues aplenty?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:39 am

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Between Cyberpunk, Dark Matter and this I have to ask if there's a space/future show out there with non evil capitalism. Would be nice to have even one..

Ammmm....Does star trek count?They are making a new one after all.Unless they plan to inject some capitalism into that one as well.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”