TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Steve C

Re: TV shows are cool

Postby Steve C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:34 am

I also watched the first eps of Trollhunters. I heard from two different forty-somethings that it was good. I did not like it at all. I'd go as far as saying I hated it. I did like one thing they did with the antagonist though. The antagonist seems be a genuinely nice person in their secret identity. Helpful, caring, mellow, etc. I thought that was a great trope reversal. Still hate the show though and won't be watching it.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:16 pm

Steve C wrote:Lucifer is a show that is not good.

Well yeah.The whole point of lucifer is that he is evil.

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 am

Steve C wrote:I also just finished watching eps2. Showing/not showing the aliens wouldn't surprise me either way. I don't think the aliens are that important from what I've seen from the show so far. Charlie won't be dead. That would be silly. He will be brainwashed, or forgotten his family, or happier on his own then he could ever be with his parents, or artificially aged, or the governor for the next block over, or head of the resistance, or some other thing that creates conflict within the story. He's a McGuffin and there's no need to waste it by something so mundane as him being dead already.
I agree with your assessment of The Factory. Sure is creepy whatever it is.

The most interesting thing about Colony, is that it is a good show, but maybe not for me. Contrasting it against a show like say Lucifer. Lucifer is a show that is not good. It is entertaining though. It has a charisma to it. Colony is good, but not really entertaining. Colony is dour, oppressive, cheerless and doesn't have a charisma to it. I do enjoy well made grimdark and/or edgy stuff that makes you think. Colony is missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not referring to humor. Best I can describe it as 'a lack of charisma.' I do not feel entertained after I've finished watching an eps.

I have watched episode 3 but I am slowing down on this one. Episode 3 was ok without being particularly interesting. [spoiler\]Those repercussions I mentioned with Katie and the resistance have basically already come home to roost. That was basically the most interesting part of the episode but it really wasn't that interesting. Also, Will is a freaking idiot if he doesn't realise by now that Katie is the mole on the inside. Seriously..[/spoiler]

Absolutely agree that the show is missing something. Charisma could be right. I feel more like it's missing its soul - kinda how I felt about the 1st half of 12 Monkeys - faceless characters who do things and even though they have motivations for doing those things there is nothing about them, or those things, that is interesting, engaging or captivating. It's like telling they're telling a story with no real plot - just a setting. Oh, that sounds like Incorporated a little bit too.

Anyway, I'll watch a few more episodes when I have time. 12 Monkeys turned out great (I think) so maybe Colony does too.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:46 am

Finally saw an episode of timeless that I can actually call good.Not because I was preinvested in the time period and characters,but because the supporting cast was good.So that was nice.

But that ending."I thought there were no unambiguously good people in the world,just in fiction.But that guy we met,he was a true hero.So,wanna help me kill someone?No sweat,he is a bad man.".Hilarious.I mean,I get the moral dilemma they are setting up,but this was seriously not the episode to do such a thing in.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 am

The magicians has started season 2.Its delightfully silly.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:14 am

There was a really good Myhtbusters community whose name I forget, that would take the episodes and edit out not just the commercials, but the post-commercial "previously on" bits, the introductions, the parts where they eat up air time doing nothing but showing their work on the math... basically the Mythbusters version of an "Only action scenes" edit of a movie.

The reason I bring this up is that I've been watching the spiritual successor to Mythubsters, and goddamn there are ten minutes of Mythbusting in this fifty minute show. And the padding is bad. Imagine all the ways in which Mythbusters would suck if it were invented in 2016 by a channel other than Discovery, and you have White Rabbit Project.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Japan has the best tv shows.For example,here is one where all they do is try to solve a puzzle that one guy couldnt solve for 10 years.
gloatingswine

Postby gloatingswine » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Steve C wrote:Lucifer is a show that is not good.

Well yeah.The whole point of lucifer is that he is evil.

In the comic the show is ostensibly (but actually completely not) based on he's not really evil, he's just completely self interested (and more than a bit of an arsehole because of it).
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:57 pm

I'm enjoying Dirk Gently 2016 a lot, but that's not Dirk Gently. My understanding always was that Dirk was basically a con-man who happened to be telling the truth. He didn't pay rent, did everything for money and tried to weasle out of everything. Book Dirk would totally have given the 'this is your chance to take control of your choices' speech, except book Dirk would have been giving it because he wanted to borrow someone's car. His happening to be right wasn't an acknowledged super power.

Im cool with the change. Its evolution instead of adaptation.

Also I was really excited that they had the star of Step Up 5- and then I realised it was Elijah Wood.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Yeah, Dirk Gently (2016) is the Amazing Spiderman 1 of Dirk Gently. But I did love it.

I really like the idea that just because everything happens for a reason, it doesn't mean there's a reason. I hope that's going to be a thing.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:59 pm

I've been watching The Good Place. It is surprisingly entertaining. I don't like Ted Danson much normally but he is killing it in this show. It's just genuinely a fun show.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:12 am

Watched the first two episodes of The Expanse.

They are really flying through the rest of Leviathan's Wake, which I guess is the point. Feels like they are going to end season 2 at the end of Caliban's War.

Also wouldn't be surprised if they completely ignore the Ganymede arc. It doesn't seem to fit in with where they're taking the series, especially when you consider the early introduction of Avarsarala and now Bobbie.

Speaking of Bobbie. Finding her a little underwhelming at the moment. Maybe it's because she's not as big as Caliban's War depicts (although I can forgive this seeing as finding a competent, 2-metre, actress with an Islander background would probably be hard) but I think it's because her personality feels a little off. Can't quite place my finger on it yet. Also, that New Zealand accent is absolutely grating. It's as bad as having an Aussie accent surrounded by American accents (see John Kim in The Librarians).

Also wasn't really feeling the actor they hired for Dresden. Doesn't feel smarmy enough, or something...

Oh one last thing, I don't feel like the depiction of Amos in the TV series is anywhere near his depiction in the novels. Perhaps he was changed a little bit for drama's sake, or perhaps it's just actor's prerogative but I much prefer the novel version. Miller said it best in the 1st episode, Amos is a "200 pound, homicidal, kid" which is something I didn't get from the novels.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Bobbie in the books is a quiet giant, tortured by what she saw and lived through. She knows the true enemy is the alien monster she fought. That was her introduction as a character. None of that is true in the TV show (yet?). Instead of seeing the political propaganda for what it is, in the TV show she is an active participant. Bobbie's TV introduction as a character was the exact opposite of what it was. So ya, her personality is a little off.

As for Amos, I disagree. I feel it is very much in keeping with the novels. Amos doesn't have a moral compass. He latches onto someone who does and let's them make decisions. At his core, Amos will happily kill you as not kill you. I don't remember a confrontation between him and Miller in the book. But I could certainly see it going down exactly like it did in the show.

The actor who played Dresden (that name is not a spoiler) is definitely smarmy enough. I've seen him in other things. Though you are right, that scene felt wrong. Not nearly smarmy enough. I believe the fault was in the direction. Him walking backwards, etc. That scene was not as good as it could have and should have been.

Overall, really good first eps for the season. They crammed 1)half a book, 2)parts of other books, plus 3) made up some new stuff and fit it all into one double length episode. It was satisfying to watch.

Bonus: Recat episode of season 1.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:16 am

Steve C wrote:The actor who played Dresden (that name is not a spoiler) is definitely smarmy enough. I've seen him in other things. Though you are right, that scene felt wrong. Not nearly smarmy enough. I believe the fault was in the direction. Him walking backwards, etc. That scene was not as good as it could have and should have been.

I think the thing for me is that the Dresden in the novels was arrogant in his belief and was only concerned about how much time was being wasted before he could go back to the work. The TV Dresden said most of the same words but his demeanour came across as more pleading with the pitch of his voice, the positioning of his hands, and his constant backing away, as you mentioned. Novel Dresden was arrogant and smarmy; TV Dresden was more... desperate like he knew things weren't going his away and he was afraid of what the consequences would be.

Steve C wrote:As for Amos, I disagree. I feel it is very much in keeping with the novels. Amos doesn't have a moral compass. He latches onto someone who does and let's them make decisions. At his core, Amos will happily kill you as not kill you. I don't remember a confrontation between him and Miller in the book. But I could certainly see it going down exactly like it did in the show.

I think the main thing with Amos for me is that his relationship with Holden and even Alex is completely different to it is in the novels. In the novels they are chummy and have a good relationship. In the TV series, Amos and Holden have a latent hostility thing going on and even Amos and Alex are quite distant. The only constant is Amos and Naomi.

And there was no confrontation between Miller and Amos in the novels because Amos never killed his friend. Miller's friend, presumably, was consumed by the protomolecule in the novels because he's never shown to escape or even mentioned again after the hotel scene.

Steve C wrote:Overall, really good first eps for the season. They crammed 1)half a book, 2)parts of other books, plus 3) made up some new stuff and fit it all into one double length episode. It was satisfying to watch.

Yes, I talk a lot about the differences between the show and the novel but by and large, The Expanse is probably the best sci-fi on TV at the moment. For me, it is just ahead of Killjoys (my previous favourite) and miles away from my next favourite shows like 12 Monkeys and Dark Matter.

Oh and that space battle between the Roci and the stealth ship was perfect. I don't know what their budget for the show is but I can only guess that it is frigging huge with some of the visuals they are pulling off plus the high caliber actors they have.

If that bit they showed at the end was meant to be next week's episode and not a general preview of the season ahead, it looks like Miller is already back on Eros and Bobbie is already on Earth. If Bobbie is on Earth then it lends weight to my belief that they are going to skip most (if not all) of the Ganymede arc, although I do hope they find a way to bring Prax into the show. He has grown on me.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:33 am

I don't know if this is the right place for it but I just got into "That Poppy"

Probably my favorite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCv6wnOaFgo

But this one will give you a better sample of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ssU2pXndOo

If you watch this one after the other two, it will all make less sense. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnoSeiAFSY
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:32 am

I was disappointed in the space battle. It was great on it's own merits. No complaints there. The space battle in the book was cooler and more epic because the one stealth ship was (surprise!) two ships parked close to each other. Which made their simulations and plans significantly less useful. The assault needed more people too. Just a few more extras, or CG people or radio chatter from other people off camera or something. I'm guessing they wanted to but that episode already blew the budget as it was.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:43 am

I saw legion.It was utterly disjointed.But that is the whole point of it,since we are seeing the events from the perspective of a schizophrenic super mutant.Its funny to have a show where the only things you can be sure are real are the two scenes where the protagonist is not present.Its a nice pilot.If you are into the whole crazy and superpowers genres.And hey,since he is crazy,maybe the whole thing can be looked as just in his head.

It also seems to be an actual x-men spinoff show,so I have no idea how to classify this one.The characters are marvel,but sony owns the movie rights,so the television characters are owned by.....????And then wikipedia says that xavier will "probably" appear,since he is davids father?Its one huge clusterfuck of legal stuff thats even more convoluted than the actual show.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 am

So Miller is headed to Eros and Bobbie is headed to Ganymede (yep, I was wrong about that). This season is moving along at lightning speed!

Curious to see how they depict Ganymede. When I read Caliban's War I couldn't get the image of Hoth out of my mind the entire time, even though that's obviously nothing like what Ganymede would look like!
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:11 am

Watched another episode of Colony - episode 4, now - it's still just ok.

There was a bit of intrigue building three quarters into the episode but they had killed it off by the end of the episode.

I guess I'll keep watching when I have spare time but it's not something I necessarily look forward to or anything.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I finally got around to watching the first episode of the second season of The Expanse. I have to say this has reminded me a lot why I love this show. It's again largely due to Grandma Spook. I loved how she kept her cool and agreed at first with a decision she was not for just so she could stay at the table and guide the events there. I have to say that Miss Maritan Marine is kind of getting on my nerves allready with the little we saw of her. My problem is not so much her character or her reasons for hating the Terrans, but she is the WORST possible choice for the commander of the boots on the ground where they might need finesse to avoid war and echieve their objectives. But she has no finesse at all, unless it's asking Terans which way do they want to die. And her whole spiel of each Martian being worth 20 Earth Marines, seems overly simplistic and screams of the fact that somebody or some thing is going to roughly and voilently change her viewpoint.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 am

Second episode of The Expanse.

HEEEEEEELLLLL YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!
A proper hard (for TV) SF space battle, with railgun flechetes flying everywhere and not stopping for anything.

Now Miller, that guy sure was a monster and did deserve to die. Bit could you have waited just a bit until we could get info out of him about his employers. You know the real bad guys orchestrating this.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:20 am

Awesome infographic for the first season of The Expanse.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:29 pm

It's suprising to me that the second language of the UN is French? Sure it's legacy second language, but before Chinese or Spanish?
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 pm

It's the lingua franca

EDIT: Huh, the eponymous lingua franca was actually a bastardised form of Italian, not French. It translates as "Language of the Franks" but Frank was widely used to refer to western europe at the time. Also until relatively recently, the term was used to refer to hybrid languages, normally used by sailors and merchants - not proper languages used for (sometimes official) communication between two people who don't share native languages.

So I guess that joke doesn't work.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Yeah, probably due to being the language of diplomacy before English got put into the role, it got pretty widespread due to the colonial era, even though English got to more far-flung places.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”