TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Retsam

Re: TV shows are cool

Postby Retsam » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:27 pm

Steve C wrote:
Andrew wrote:The Shannara Chronicles was just put up on Netflix Australia.

Can anyone recommend it? I was never a big fan of Terry Brooks and I always have reservations about high fantasy adaptations on TV.

I was not a fan of the book which I read 10+ years ago. It felt like someone's D&D Tolkien-isk campaign in the vein of DM of the Rings if that was not a parody.

I'm guessing you're actually thinking of the first of the Shannara books, Sword of Shannara. That book (especially the first half) does feel largely like a LoTR clone. (It's actually not a bad book in my view, if you can get past the deja vu) The television series is actually an adaptation of the second book, which is a ton more original, and a lot better regarded. (It was easily my favorite of the 7 books Shannara books that I read)
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Nope. I've only ever read Elfstones.
the second book, which is a ton more original, and a lot better regarded.
Which is exactly what I was told before I read Elfstones and the reason why I read it first.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:29 am

I gave Incorporated a try. I got halfway through the first episode. It is not good.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:24 am

Steve C wrote:I gave Incorporated a try. I got halfway through the first episode. It is not good.

That's really interesting. I just had lunch with my dad and he was really raving about it. Said it was almost as good as Travelers.

Mind saying what you don't like about it? Since you've only seen half an episode feel free to spoil whatever you think is necessary to explain your thoughts!

Oh, and yes, when you get the chance, let's talk about Travelers more!!
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:26 am

Retsam wrote:
Steve C wrote:
Andrew wrote:The Shannara Chronicles was just put up on Netflix Australia.

Can anyone recommend it? I was never a big fan of Terry Brooks and I always have reservations about high fantasy adaptations on TV.

I was not a fan of the book which I read 10+ years ago. It felt like someone's D&D Tolkien-isk campaign in the vein of DM of the Rings if that was not a parody.

I'm guessing you're actually thinking of the first of the Shannara books, Sword of Shannara. That book (especially the first half) does feel largely like a LoTR clone. (It's actually not a bad book in my view, if you can get past the deja vu) The television series is actually an adaptation of the second book, which is a ton more original, and a lot better regarded. (It was easily my favorite of the 7 books Shannara books that I read)

Sword of Shannara is the one I tried to read. I don't remember anything about it (it was some 20 years ago) but all I remember is that I didn't like it.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:08 pm

Well let me think about Incorporated...

It reminds me of the two movies: Paycheck (Ben Affleck) and Elysium (Matt Damen). Which makes sense given that's who produced Incorporated. I didn't like Elysium and never finished it. Paycheck was better. It was still really about Affleck getting a paycheck for a movie. I dislike the way Incorporated was shot which is what really makes me think of Paycheck. The camera work feels... off. Like it was from a B movie that thought it was not a B movie. Paycheck knew it was a B movie.

I like the subject matter of a dystopian corptocracy. That's a setting. It is not a premise, not a plot. Incorporated seems to have overlooked that fact. "Guy who wants to find an old girlfriend while being a really good fraud," isn't enough. It's enough for a side plot, but not enough to carry the show. The characters are a combination of stereotypes and caricatures. The acting is not good. There's nobody to care about in this show.

With no characters to care about, no plot to care about it's got nothing except a setting. The more the setting was revealed the more it did not make sense. It is a show that has nothing interesting to say except showing the trappings of interesting things.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 am

Started watching Frequency. The TV show is the movie which is what I expected. It's not bad. I'm going to continue watching. I hope that it is intended to be a 1-season-and-done show. They made a reference was made for 5 yrs away and there isn't going to be enough meat to chew on for 5 seasons.

I can recommend giving Frequency a shot. If you can only watch Travelers or Frequency, not both, pick Travelers. It's a better show.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:17 am

Steve C wrote:Well let me think about Incorporated...

It reminds me of the two movies: Paycheck (Ben Affleck) and Elysium (Matt Damen). Which makes sense given that's who produced Incorporated. I didn't like Elysium and never finished it. Paycheck was better. It was still really about Affleck getting a paycheck for a movie. I dislike the way Incorporated was shot which is what really makes me think of Paycheck. The camera work feels... off. Like it was from a B movie that thought it was not a B movie. Paycheck knew it was a B movie.

I like the subject matter of a dystopian corptocracy. That's a setting. It is not a premise, not a plot. Incorporated seems to have overlooked that fact. "Guy who wants to find an old girlfriend while being a really good fraud," isn't enough. It's enough for a side plot, but not enough to carry the show. The characters are a combination of stereotypes and caricatures. The acting is not good. There's nobody to care about in this show.

With no characters to care about, no plot to care about it's got nothing except a setting. The more the setting was revealed the more it did not make sense. It is a show that has nothing interesting to say except showing the trappings of interesting things.

When I first heard about Incorporated I immediately thought of Continuum as another show where corporations have all the power in the future.

It's clear that this show is not Continuum.

When my dad was telling us about Incorporated my brother laughed as said "so it's basically a love story??". It sounds like that may actually be the case, which is very, very, disappointing. Agree that dystopian corporatocracy is a setting, not a plot, but as far as I am concerned it is an excellent setting for a sci-fi show. I will probably still watch at least the 1st episode just because it's the kind of show that I want to like. But I am not hopeful..
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 pm

So that was a Sherlock episode about Jimmy Saville (or rather celebrity paedophiles/sex offenders). Wasn't expecting that
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:45 pm

Thomas wrote:So that was a Sherlock episode about Jimmy Saville (or rather celebrity paedophiles/sex offenders). Wasn't expecting that

Yes, that's the distinct impression I got as well. As far as I'm concerned it must have been intentional - there's no way it couldn't have been when you take into account personality, the secrecy around it, and hell, even the looks!

I wonder if it was some sort of attempt at giving the audience (the UK audience, in particular?) some sense of closure that they never actually got with Saville. Maybe..

Although FWIW, I've read 4 reviews of the episode and only 2 of them mention a Saville parallel.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:32 am

Andrew wrote:
Thomas wrote:So that was a Sherlock episode about Jimmy Saville (or rather celebrity paedophiles/sex offenders). Wasn't expecting that

Yes, that's the distinct impression I got as well. As far as I'm concerned it must have been intentional - there's no way it couldn't have been when you take into account personality, the secrecy around it, and hell, even the looks!

I wonder if it was some sort of attempt at giving the audience (the UK audience, in particular?) some sense of closure that they never actually got with Saville. Maybe..

Although FWIW, I've read 4 reviews of the episode and only 2 of them mention a Saville parallel.

I haven't actually caught the new Sherlock yet, but when Magnussen showed up in Season 3, I immediately thought "Oh shit it's Rupert Murdoch", but most people seem to have missed that. Come on, it's obviously Rupert Murdoch. Foreign news-media magnate who uses his news services for propaganda and gets out of parliamentary inquiries through bribery and blackmail? I mean, he's Swedish instead of Australian, but that's what you get for borrowing the name of your villain from the original stories.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 am

Lachlan the Mad wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I haven't actually caught the new Sherlock yet, but when Magnussen showed up in Season 3, I immediately thought "Oh shit it's Rupert Murdoch", but most people seem to have missed that. Come on, it's obviously Rupert Murdoch. Foreign news-media magnate who uses his news services for propaganda and gets out of parliamentary inquiries through bribery and blackmail? I mean, he's Swedish instead of Australian, but that's what you get for borrowing the name of your villain from the original stories.

Yes, that was absolutely Rupert Murdoch. I guess it depends who talk to (and where you're from), but I suspect most Aussies would have gotten that reference immediately.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah I'm on board the Murdoch train too. I was always a little sad that he just shot Murdoch. In some ways I think that means Murdoch was the one person who beat Sherlock because he forced him into that position - even more than the cabbie.

I think what tips it over into definitely being a Saville reference is when he's in the hospital with the kids. I too am also wondering if it's trying to give people a tiny bit of closure on it - especially since it's a BBC production.

Also I enjoyed the twist at the end. My one bit of pride is I spent some time being confused when the therapist was on screen because I thought she was the same person as the one who visited Sherlock. I didn't guess the twist though - I hadn't clicked that it might be a disguise so when Sherlock didn't acknowledge knowing her I just assumed I was bad at faces and only saying it because they had similar hair colour and glasses.

I feel like, ever since they failed to pull off the Irene Adler trick with Irene Adler (where she disguises herself from Sherlock), they've been trying to get it right with new characters. Mary was great because she stayed hidden for so log. And I think Ms. Holmes is even better because we watched Sherlock make deductions about her and it's only retrospectively you realise she's so smart she was able to plant all the evidence for his deductions about herself to fool Sherlock without leaving any real clue he could read. She didn't just hide from him, she lured him into wrong conclusions

I'm actually hoping they drop the Moriarty stuff now. I'm ready for this person to be the villain behind Moriarty. It makes a ton of sense. You can really believe it's a battle of wits between them and Sherlock. Also it means all of Mycrofts surveillance is actually justified because he knows what happens when it goes wrong.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 am

Yeah the stuff with Euros was done exceptionally well. Much better than they did with Irene Adler and even better than Mary.

There is speculation that while Euros is obviously Sherlock and Mycroft's sister, that there is still another Holmes brother as well - this mysterious Sherrinford that has come up exactly TWO times in these episodes. I don't know how that would work in reality because Euros is obviously already Sherlock's match, if not better, and throwing in a 4th Holmes sibling would be... ambitious, to say the least.

Agree on Moriarty. At this point they don't even need him anymore and it would be much more realistic (and even cleverer) to say that Euros was using Moriarty to get to Sherlock than it would to try and explain how Sherlock could have shot Moriarty in the face but NOT known that he was still alive. If he does come back I'll be happy because I like the actor but I'm worried that they won't be able to plausibly explain it all if that's the way they go so I'd rather they just let it die.

In any event, I'm so glad that this episode was good because before this there was a string of 5 bad episodes (going back to season 3, the Christmas 'special' they put on last year, and most of the 1st episode of season 4) but this one finally felt like Sherlock Holmes again.

Can't wait for next week (as much as I hate the fact that we're being drip fed episodes at an average of approximately 1 every 10 months).
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:30 am

Oh another show that I'd been meaning to watch and completely forgot about is Colony.

From the synopsis it basically sounds like Falling Skies which means it'll be good for the first 2 or 3 seasons before completely falling off a cliff and limping home for the final 2 seasons.

Anyway, saw an article that said the 2nd season is about to air so it's probably a good time to watch the 1st one.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 am

The best thing about Sherlock is that now it can be summed up as the KoRn & Limp Bizkit song.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:19 am

I've gotten a fair way into Frequency. It's... ok? It is a movie of movie length that got stretched out into a full season of TV. I'm really feeling that fact. The movie is better IMO. I like it well enough to continue watching it but I have poor choices right now. Frequency is at the bottom of a short list of stuff I'm watching.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 am

Due entirely to Andrew's mentioning it and nothing else, I've started to watch Colony. Just the first eps. I'm not sure I like it or not. It has potential. The best single word I can use to describe it is... subversive. I don't think much of the audience will realize this but...

...SPOILERS about politics that could possibly wreck the entire show for some people- it is really an allegory about the occupation of Iraq by the USA. (SERIOUSLY, don't read this spoiler until you already have an opinion about the show.)
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 am

Frequency is getting to be a slog. It's all padding and filler after a while. If you haven't started watching it, skip it.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 am

Steve C wrote:Due entirely to Andrew's mentioning it and nothing else, I've started to watch Colony. Just the first eps. I'm not sure I like it or not. It has potential. The best single word I can use to describe it is... subversive. I don't think much of the audience will realize this but...

...SPOILERS about politics that could possibly wreck the entire show for some people- it is really an allegory about the occupation of Iraq by the USA. (SERIOUSLY, don't read this spoiler until you already have an opinion about the show.)

I finally got around to watching the first episode of Colony. I quite liked it. The characters are interesting (well, most of them are.. ok, ok, the main ones are - a few of them, anyway) and the story, while hardly unique, is intriguing.

I'm going to keep watching, not least because the season 2 premiere has been getting 5 star ratings all over the place. Potential is a good word for it.

I'm not sure I see what you're suggesting in your spoiler. Possibly because, in Australia, I was a lot further away from it than you were (if I remember correctly, you live in Canada?). Either way, if it turns out to be true I tend to specifically ignore any real life comments being made in TV shows. I've found that doing so increases the chance that I'll like a show infinitesimally. Funnily enough, the show really does remind me of Xcom 2 though, with the occupation, the collaborators... etc.

Oh and the twist at the end with the wife was hardly a twist at all. Although I'm not sure if it's meant to be a twist or not?

Steve C wrote:Frequency is getting to be a slog. It's all padding and filler after a while. If you haven't started watching it, skip it.

Thanks for this. Frequency has joined Timeless in the trash heap. I was never too intrigued by the premise to begin with (I thought the movie was only just OK).

Anyhow, plenty of shows coming back soon so I probably wouldn't have had the time anyway.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 am

Andrew wrote:I'm not sure I see what you're suggesting in your spoiler. Possibly because, in Australia, I was a lot further away from it than you were (if I remember correctly, you live in Canada?). Either way, if it turns out to be true I tend to specifically ignore any real life comments being made in TV shows. I've found that doing so increases the chance that I'll like a show infinitesimally. Funnily enough, the show really does remind me of Xcom 2 though, with the occupation, the collaborators... etc.

Oh and the twist at the end with the wife was hardly a twist at all. Although I'm not sure if it's meant to be a twist or not?
I don't think the end was supposed to be a twist. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if the husband already knows. Are they both leading a double/triple life now or just her?

Yeah I live in Canada. I don't think it really matters where people live. My reasoning for the previous spoiler isn't do to 'closeness' or anything. It's due to (still significant spoilers!) in this specific show though they've got IEDs, Green Zones, and Red Hats (aka UN Peacekeeper Blue Hats) and drones. If the show wanted to distance itself from those real world things there's no way they'd use any of those terms. 'Drones' in particular would be called something exotic and alien, or some sort of slang like 'lightning bugs' or something. I agree that the show does remind of Xcom. It should. Contrast Colony to Fallen Skies. Which is more Xcom? If you consider the why and how, I think you'll agree that Fallen Skies is more Xcom and Colony is less because of the reasons I mentioned.

Steve C wrote:Frequency is getting to be a slog. It's all padding and filler after a while. If you haven't started watching it, skip it.

Thanks for this. Frequency has joined Timeless in the trash heap. I was never too intrigued by the premise to begin with (I thought the movie was only just OK).

Yeah if you've watched Frequency:the movie, you're good and have Frequency:the show covered. Kind of a shame though. The show is still 2x or 3x better than the movie. Except the show is also 6x or 7x times longer. The quality-per-minute suffers way too much. If only they'd cut the show down to 4-6 eps they could have had the best of both.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:18 am

Steve C wrote:
Andrew wrote:I don't think the end was supposed to be a twist. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is if the husband already knows. Are they both leading a double/triple life now or just her?

Yeah I live in Canada. I don't think it really matters where people live. My reasoning for the previous spoiler isn't do to 'closeness' or anything. It's due to (still significant spoilers!) in this specific show though they've got IEDs, Green Zones, and Red Hats (aka UN Peacekeeper Blue Hats) and drones. If the show wanted to distance itself from those real world things there's no way they'd use any of those terms. 'Drones' in particular would be called something exotic and alien, or some sort of slang like 'lightning bugs' or something. I agree that the show does remind of Xcom. It should. Contrast Colony to Fallen Skies. Which is more Xcom? If you consider the why and how, I think you'll agree that Fallen Skies is more Xcom and Colony is less because of the reasons I mentioned.

When I say you're closer to the event I basically mean that your geographical location (plus your connection to the US) means that you would have gotten a lot more news and info on that situation that we did in Australia. In Australia it was barely even reported on after the first week or so and you had to go out and look for news on the topic to find out what was happening.

Words like IED's, Green Zones, Hats and Drones don't mean very much to me in that specific context and I don't automatically make the connection that you obviously did. Maybe my experience is atypical of the typical Australian but that's how I remember it and it's what I mean when I say that you're (or anyone living on your side of the world) closer to the event than I was.

For me, Falling Skies is very Xcom 1 because it's an invasion and you're fighting back. Colony seems more Xcom 2 so far with the Drones (surveillance), checkpoints, and acceptance of the occupation (aside from the resistance).

Anyway, semantics, right?

I have no idea if they're leading double or triple lives at this point. In my mind the husband knows that the wife is part of the resistance. Her initial, vehement, response to his joining the Red Hats very quickly went away after the Governor visited their house. Now it's possible that she was just intimidated into submission but I much prefer the theory that after the Governor left she spoke to her husband and they agreed that his joining the Red Hats would be used to feed information to the Resistance. Pure speculation, obviously, but it's how it fits together in my head so far.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Timeless is back on.So,this show...Ok,heres is the perfect guide for timeless:Go to the imdb page,check out the descriptions of the episodes.If it will cover a period or a person you are interested in,then chances are you may like that episode.I liked the moon landing one,and I liked the houdini one.But if you dont care about that period of time,then the episode will likely fall flat for you.

As for the actual time travel....the show is good at bringing up time travel problems.Would you kill hitler as a child?Would you kill an innocent to preserve history?Could you adapt to a new history?Is someone erased from history dead?Etc.But the thing is,the show is good at bringing up those problems.What it does with them is just...meh.
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 am

Watched the 2nd episode of Colony. It started slow but escalated pretty quickly about mid-way through the episode. If you haven't watched it yet and aren't sure if you want to, I'd suggest giving it one more go.

I wonder if we'll ever get to see the aliens. Or if budget constraints mean that we never actually get there. I wouldn't be surprised.

Spoilers for episode 2:

So it's pretty clear that Will doesn't know Kate is part of the Resistance. Which suggests that Kate went along with the plan because she thinks it will help them get Charlie back and because she knows she can two-time with the Resistance. Thing is, this will surely come back to bite her eventually right? Either Will realises that she's the leak, the Resistance decides that Will needs to die or some other form of consequence as a result of her actions. I don't think she's really thought this through.

And speaking of Charlie. I mean, he's dead, right? He has to be. The way he's put up on a pedestal and will clearly be the 'end game' for season 1, he just has to be dead doesn't he?

Finally, I guess the Factory is a re-programming facility? That's what I got from the the short clip they showed.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 am

Andrew wrote:I wonder if we'll ever get to see the aliens. Or if budget constraints mean that we never actually get there. I wouldn't be surprised.

Spoilers for episode 2:
And speaking of Charlie. I mean, he's dead, right? He has to be. The way he's put up on a pedestal and will clearly be the 'end game' for season 1, he just has to be dead doesn't he?
Finally, I guess the Factory is a re-programming facility? That's what I got from the the short clip they showed.

I also just finished watching eps2. Showing/not showing the aliens wouldn't surprise me either way. I don't think the aliens are that important from what I've seen from the show so far. Charlie won't be dead. That would be silly. He will be brainwashed, or forgotten his family, or happier on his own then he could ever be with his parents, or artificially aged, or the governor for the next block over, or head of the resistance, or some other thing that creates conflict within the story. He's a McGuffin and there's no need to waste it by something so mundane as him being dead already.
I agree with your assessment of The Factory. Sure is creepy whatever it is.

The most interesting thing about Colony, is that it is a good show, but maybe not for me. Contrasting it against a show like say Lucifer. Lucifer is a show that is not good. It is entertaining though. It has a charisma to it. Colony is good, but not really entertaining. Colony is dour, oppressive, cheerless and doesn't have a charisma to it. I do enjoy well made grimdark and/or edgy stuff that makes you think. Colony is missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm not referring to humor. Best I can describe it as 'a lack of charisma.' I do not feel entertained after I've finished watching an eps.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”