TV shows are cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

TV shows are cool

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:41 pm

Well there are books,movies and games,so what about tv shows?Which ones are you following now,which ones you watched and liked,and which ones do you wish you have never watched?

Currently,Im following doctor who and game of thrones(as stated in the topics for the two),big bang theory,supernatural and castle(because nathan fillion damn it).Im also waiting for futurama to come back with its next half season(seriously,why call it a season when its spanning over two years with a huge gap in the middle),and for the next season of south park.Im one of the rare few that likes the new stuff as well as the old in these two.There was a change in humor,but change is not always bad.Also,I occasionally watch the new simpsons,because they still manage to squeeze a good joke here and there,and mythbusters because they make some internet arguments a breeze,and explosions are cool.

As for what Ive watched without regrets:Firefly,buffy and angel(which I avoided when it first aired,for some reason,but finally caved in a couple of years ago),deep space 9(I did watch a few episodes from TOS and TNG,but those,while good,never managed to draw me in to watch the whole series),sarah connor chronicles,and heroes season 1.

And that last one nicely leads into the final category which includes the rest of heroes and lost(which is about the same as heroes in that it started well,but then went waay down).
Thomas

Re: TV shows are cool

Postby Thomas » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I could never even get started with Lost. It felt like they were throwing things out expecting people to wonder what the meaning behind it all was but all the meaning they had so far was they wanted you to think it was mysterious. We're on an Island! Smoke monster! Dinosaurs? Why is there a polar bear on the island?

Because the writers figured it would be mysterious.
--------------------------------------------------
Heroes was cool, it never regained first season glory but I enjoyed even the bad seasons. Firefly shouldn't be good but was. I actually hold the controversial opinion that Fox were sort of right. The Train Job was a much better idea for a season opener than Serenity was and I'd've probably never gotten to the good stuff if Serenity came first (although the cut version of Serenity is waaaay better than the finished product)

The problem was Joss Whedon still wanted Serenity to work so he wrote the Train Job as a sequel and that's way too confusing to figure out why certain people were on the ship and how. The ideal Firefly season for me would have started with the Train Job (minus Book, River and Simon) then had the pre-cut version of Serenity and would've ended with Out of Gas (if it had to end so early, Out of Gas would've been the perfect ending)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
And then Doctor Who of course. Apart from Firefly, West wing and the American Office (and I always wished I could watch Community and House, maybe How I Met Your Mother), I've been pretty much BBC exclusive my whole life. Robot Wars, Robin Hood, Sherlock, Luther, Top Gear, Have I Got News For You, QI, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes, Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Would I Lie to You, Not Going Out, Survivor, Only Fools and Horses, Allo Allo!, Thunderbirds, Walking with Dinosaurs, Planet Earth

Any one of those is well worth praise and discussion. Robot wars, Luther and Ashes to Ashes are particular highlights.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I utterly regret watching The Big Bang Theory though. My housemates always played it when we were eating but the whole series is 1)Really unfunny and 2) Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's always laughing at awful nerd stereotypes instead of with them in the way something like Shaun of the Dead or Scott Pilgrim does. The cameos are the only saving grace
Humanoid

Postby Humanoid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:26 am

I haven't had watchable TV reception since last year - I think the wind blew my antenna the wrong way. Haven't bothered fixing it because there's nothing I feel like watching on free-to-air. I do own a few series on disc, but discounting stuff like classic BBC shows, not a lot. I can name Curb Your Enthusiasm, Futurama, Archer, Mythbusters and, er, that's about it.

I do usually watch Spoiler Warning on my TV if that counts...
JadedDM

Postby JadedDM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:03 pm

I stopped watching television back when they switched the airwaves from analog to digital (I got my TV via rabbit-ears!). I never bothered to upgrade. I do watch some shows, though, but only online (or on DVD, once they come out).

Right now, I'm watching Game of Thrones, American Dad!, Defiance, and Adventure Time.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 pm

A great new show I want people to try is Orphan Black. The lead is a fantastic actress. It's about clones and she's playing a lot of different characters with unique personalities at the same time. I'm blown away by how good she is at making these characters distinct. If you haven't heard of it, find it online and give it a shot.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu May 02, 2013 4:27 pm

So,the new looney tunes show.Is anyone else watching it?I like it,its funny,its charming,and its looney.Its not the original shorts,of course,but those are classics that everyone grew up with,so it would be unfair to compare the two.
newdarkcloud

Postby newdarkcloud » Fri May 03, 2013 2:18 am

Some of the shows I like to watch are:

Castle - Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) and Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) are great and play well of each other. Basically a rich author abuses his friendship with the mayor of New York to follow a police detective and hilarity ensues. After a while they became an item.

The Mentalist - I always like the antics Simon Baker as Patrick Jane gets into. It always seems like he's having a good time, despite having a fairly dark backstory. Basically, he's a former con man who became a police consultant after the murder of his wife and child.

Survivor - I've been watching it since the second season. It's one of my favorite shows and I always take the time to watch it. I'm pretty sure most people here now what the show is since it's international at this point.

Bones - It's been slipping this season, but in general it's pretty solid. Another crime drama, but the lead character is a forensic anthropologist.

The Amazing Race - It wins Emmys practically every year for a reason. It's a fairly self-explanatory title. Go around the world, face obstacles, and try to get in first place with your partner.

The Show I miss is:

The Mole - It's was one of my favorite reality shows of all time. A bunch of people got together and as a team, they were supposed to work together to win challenges and build up the pot that the winner would take home (a max of $1,000,000). The catch was that the producers hired one of them to work for them and sabotage the challenges. This person was "The Mole". At the end of each episode, the contestants (except the Mole) took a quiz answer questions about The Mole like "During challenge X, what color hat was The Mole wearing?". The one who got the least questions right would be eliminated and go home.
I loved this show because it was SMART. It also encouraged tons of audience participation by telling the Mole be a secret until the very last episode, so the viewers could try to play along with the contestants. They also didn't try to force in a lot of drama. The producers paid for pretty good hotels and the cast looked like they were having a genuinely good time playing in games and hanging out with each other, despite the undercurrent of "One of us is The Mole?"
I could rave about this show for days, it's that good. It's a shame ABC is unlikely to bring it back.
Retsam

Postby Retsam » Sat May 04, 2013 4:26 pm

newdarkcloud wrote:Castle - Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) and Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) are great and play well of each other. Basically a rich author abuses his friendship with the mayor of New York to follow a police detective and hilarity ensues. After a while they became an item.

The male and female lead in a show eventually become an item? I'm shocked and appalled.

In all seriousness, I've seen a few episodes, and it's pretty fun.

It reminded me really strongly of the 80's television show "Remington Steele"; I'll just stick the opening monologue since it does a pretty good job summarizing:
Laura Holt: Try this for a deep, dark secret: the great detective, Remington Steele? He doesn't exist. I invented him. Follow. I always loved excitement, so I studied, and apprenticed, and put my name on an office. But absolutely nobody knocked down my door. A female private investigator seemed so... feminine. So I invented a superior. A decidedly MASCULINE superior. Suddenly there were cases around the block. It was working like a charm... until the day HE walked in, with his blue eyes and mysterious past. And before I knew it, he assumed Remington Steele's identity. Now I do the work, and he takes the bows. It's a dangerous way to live, but as long as people buy it, I can get the job done. We never mix business with pleasure. Well, almost never. I don't even know his real name

But yeah, it has a similar "will they, won't they" dynamic, similar balance of the woman being the more savvy one, Nathan Fillion and Pierce Brosnan are slightly similar actors, and Remington Steele would always connect the cases to films, similar to Castle and novels.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat May 04, 2013 6:03 pm

I love the way Nathan Fillion basically plays a jackass in all his roles, just with different degrees of self-awareness. Castle keeps it aware enough for the dynamic to really work
newdarkcloud

Postby newdarkcloud » Sat May 04, 2013 10:37 pm

I love the way Fillion just seems to enjoy playing any of the roles he's given. His enthusiasm makes him fun to watch.
Zukhramm

Postby Zukhramm » Sat May 04, 2013 10:51 pm

The only thing I'm really following and liking aside from Game of Thrones is Breaking Bad.

I did sign up for HBO's streaming service specifically for Game of Thrones and while it proabably has fewer shows than Netflix, at least they're a couple of hours after airing in the US rather than TWO YEARS. Anyway, thought I'd watch The Wire, since everyone's praising it, but I haven't gotten around to it. I did watch The Newsroom, which was alright. Great at times, and I like that they're doing real news, but stupid love triangles among other things keeps it from great, but I'll give it another season.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Currently enjoying Castle a lot. We recently had the "Nebula 9" episode, where Castle (Fillion) lists his favourie scifi shows: "Star Trek, Star Wars, that Joss Whedon series...". they manage to sneak a few other firefly references in there too (and also Armin Shimmerman aka Quark (DS9) / Principal Snyder (Buffy) and it is directed by Jonathan Frakes aka Riker from ST:TNG, so it's all a bit sci-fi tastic).

I had been enjoying Bones a lot heretofore. But this current series is a bit naff all things considered, and I can't bring myself to care enough to watch the episodes I've currently got recorded.

There is some other decent scifi around at the moment: Continuum is better than expected. Defiance is okay - no great shakes, never met a cliche it didn't like, but is better made and acted than a lot of other stuff (I've not heard anything good about the tie-in MMOFPS that launches at the same time).

What do I wish I'd never watched? Well some years ago Sky TV (in the UK) made a series called Hex. I watched it all the way through, thinking that it was just about to start getting better. It never did, and was so completely schizophrenic in tone that I'm sure it had a diffrent writer for each episode who had totally different ideas about what sort of series they were writing. And then it got more and more stupid as time went by, surpassed only by the lameness of the ending and the utter stupidity and dislikability of all the characters involved.

Ever since Hex, my tolerance for programs that are a bit crap but look like they might become good has been rather low. If it doesn't justify itself as more than usually good inside 1 1/2 episodes, it's toast.
newdarkcloud

Postby newdarkcloud » Tue May 07, 2013 11:03 am

I'm going to be honest, I hate all of the Bones episodes involving that Hollywood Hacker psychopath kid. He's such an OP Villain Sue that episodes where he's the antagonist are extremely annoying to watch. I just want him caught so we can move on.
Vulture

Postby Vulture » Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

newdarkcloud wrote:I'm going to be honest, I hate all of the Bones episodes involving that Hollywood Hacker psychopath kid. He's such an OP Villain Sue that episodes where he's the antagonist are extremely annoying to watch. I just want him caught so we can move on.

Yeah - he'd much the biggest (although not the only) problem with the series. You just know any episode with him in it isn't going to be worth watching. I'd don't even want them to catch him - just never mention him again. Ever.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 13, 2013 12:02 am

Steve C wrote:A great new show I want people to try is Orphan Black. The lead is a fantastic actress. It's about clones and she's playing a lot of different characters with unique personalities at the same time. I'm blown away by how good she is at making these characters distinct. If you haven't heard of it, find it online and give it a shot.

What you forgot to say is that one of the supporting characters is vaas from far cry 3.He may not be as crazy as vaas,but he definitely is crazy.

And yes Tatiana Maslany does a great job of not only playing different characters,but also playing them as they attempt to play each other.That is ridiculously hard to pull off.
Deadfast

Postby Deadfast » Mon May 20, 2013 8:54 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:What you forgot to say is that one of the supporting characters is vaas from far cry 3.He may not be as crazy as vaas,but he definitely is crazy.

I had a look at it over the weekend - no wonder he is crazy, poor guy just can't catch a break! :D
Rebel Canuck

Postby Rebel Canuck » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Recently I haven't been watching a lot, but I enjoy a lot of shows. In no particular order:

Archer, BBC's Sherlock, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, House, and Dexter.

Uhm, I've also been on a bit of a comic book kick lately, so I've been watching animated shows like Young Justice, Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes and Batman: The Animated Series. I plan to go back and rewatch the old XMen cartoons sometime soonish too. Really looking forward to the upcoming Agents of SHIELD show too, and I've been thinking about giving Arrow a try.
Kavonde

Postby Kavonde » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Legend of Korra is back. You can watch the episodes non-illegally at Nick.com. (It's "Rebel Spirit," then "Southern Lights." Their ordering format is weird.)

I enjoyed Book 1, but I'll admit that it was no A:tLA. This season's looking pretty damned promising, though. Not to mention frickin' hilarious. The twins, man. Just... the twins.

Plus, while I don't know if this'll be the arc for the entire season, we've definitely got an interesting moral conflict growing here. But I don't really want to say too much, 'cause I dunno if people have watched it yet. But yeah. Korra. Good stuff.
swenson

Postby swenson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Just got finished watching the second one. Really enjoying it so far, I think the story has potential to be very interesting. Love the new characters--the twins are just plain hilarious--but I also like the treatment of old characters as well, especially with whatever's up with Jinora.

That all being said, does the animation seem a little... simpler than last season? I can't tell if it's my imagination and it was the same, or if there actually was a change.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Is there a specific link? I'd love to watch them, I've only seen clips and reviews by even from that I really dug Korra herself, but I can't seem to find the episodes on the website. Maybe it's a US only thing?
Akri

Postby Akri » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm

Kavonde wrote:I enjoyed Book 1, but I'll admit that it was no A:tLA.

The first time I watched Book 1, that was basically my feeling. I recently re-watched it all to get ready for Book 2, and found that I enjoyed it a lot more, probably because I wasn't trying to compare it to A:TLA anymore. I also found some really interesting stuff on tv tropes (no link; you're welcome) about how the entire season deals with chakras (even though nobody ever mentions them). Amon uses chakras to take people's bending--and they are specifically the ones that deal with illusions and lies, and the stuff Korra goes through throughout the season opens her chakras, which is how she unblocks her airbending and the avatar state. Learning all that made me appreciate the show a lot more. There is a lot of subtlety to the writing, and I really appreciate that.

Also, how amazing is that music? I really hope they publish the score, because I wanna play it.
swenson

Postby swenson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 pm

I can watch them here--just click "Full Episodes" to narrow it down to the episodes--but it may be just a US thing.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 pm

Yep just gets diverted to the UK page which only has clips :( Oh well
Traiden

Postby Traiden » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:31 pm

So are you looking for the Avatar the Last Airbender or Korra? Cause I have a site with the A:tLA if you guys want it. Well it has a lot of Anime on this site too but it has A:tLA too.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm guessing not legal though right? Whereas this one was. I'm more eh about shows than other things (probably because I've never bought the DVd's for a show in my life except Firefly and most of the ones I'd look at don't come to Britain) but legal is always nicer. I think I probably know sites where I can watch it otherwise if I want (Animeflavour is normally pretty good)

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”