Movies are cool as well

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Narratorway

Re: Movies are cool as well

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:51 am

Still think the Amazing series had the best rendition of Spiderman even if it had the worst plots.

Man, Planet of the Apes, you take yourselves waaaaaaay too seriously. It's a competent level of serious, so it's never bad, but it sure aint fun. I don't watch movies of monkeys with guns on horseback for goddamned drama, but here you are just shoving pathos up every goddamn piece of celluloid ya got. Christ almighty, you got Steve Zahn to sell a dramatic moment.

Steve...
...Zahn.

I mean...okay. That's a neat trick, but again: Monkeys with guns on horseback. I came for trash, not for feels! Also, holy shit does this movie remind me of Reign of Fire.
Ringwraith

Post by Ringwraith » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 am

I do hear the trailers are highly misleading as to what the film is actually about.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:11 pm

They basically made a different movie in the trailer I saw.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:I can say that its good.Its not the most epic of marvel movies,it doesnt have an amazing groundbreaking story,nor the best action scenes,but Im putting it as one of the best marvel movies.This guy,he is the real spiderman.He is an awkward nerd with superpowers,he has no clue how to juggle two identities yet he is trying to because he doesnt want his aunt to worry.He is a kid superhero going against grown up criminals who can see through his lies in seconds,and he is doing things he thinks are right and moral.And thats great.Im putting this guy up there with captain america,who is still the one I like the most.

Oh,and the world spiderman is living in?Its the realest one of the whole franchise.If aliens were to crash into the real world,heck yeah people would attempt to integrate their tech like in this movie.
My only sticking point is MJ. They didn't try at all to get her right.

It was like they were actively trying to make MJ the exact opposite of her comic book incarnation. Unattractive (coded as unattractive anyway, she's Hollywood Homely in this movie), weird bordering on autistic, introverted, cynical and negative, the wrong race and hair color and they didn't even get her name right (the M in MJ is short for Mary, not Michelle). MJ of the comics is an extremely extraverted red headed caucasian* supermodel who very much fits in and is the life of the party.

I'd heard there was a twist in this movie and it ended up being a pleasant surprise. I'm referring to The Vulture turning out to be Liz's dad. It made for a pretty intense scene when Parker met the family on date night.

I also liked the villain. Nicely conceived. I sympathized with him having his livelihood stolen from him by the government. Now I don't condone his reaction to it but for me at least, it made him a more complicated villain. I also like how his profession tied into his supervillain name, the Vulture. That was kind of slick.

They also really sold Peter as a 15 year old superhero. Its quite clear at times that he's too young for the job. He's just a kid and it shows. There are times when he's thoroughly overwhelmed. In fact much of the time he's in over his head but sometimes it breaks him down to the point of crying. And you can buy it because he looks young enough. This isn't Tobey Maquire playing a 30 year old graduate man-whining.

The dynamic with him and Tony works surprisingly well too. Spiderman is supposed to be a kid playing superhero without guidance. Well, Tony doesn't exactly make for a great father figure so Spiderman can get some help from him without ruining the dynamic of kid in over his head trying to figure things out by himself.

*I only mention race to complete the list of things they changed. If the character had otherwise been correct, that wouldn't have bothered me. Liz Allen was also race swapped in this movie and she was fine.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote: My only sticking point is MJ. They didn't try at all to get her right.
I read somewhere that that was on purpose.She isnt supposed to be marry jane at all,hence why all the changes.Either way,its not the first character they completely turned upside down in these movies so ehhh.Though casting a sexy redhead would be a huge plus in my book.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 am

I watched Spiderman today. Loved it. It was charming and genuinely funny. I laughed at all the points I was supposed to laugh at. The twist caught me in the best way. I did not see it coming and still felt it was foreshadowed well enough that I could have guessed. It could be the best Marvel movie. It probably isn't once given some distance. It's up there regardless.

Tom Holland made a great Spiderman. It's clear to me that they are not basing it off Spiderman from decades gone past. Liz Allen in the movie was not race swapped. It's this Liz Allen. That was 9 years ago. So the young teen demographic for that show is now the mid-twenty-something demographic for this movie. Makes sense (and it makes me feel old.)

I expected a more of a coming of age arc. IE Spiderboy into Spiderman. That didn't happen. The movie seemed to be going in that direction and then didn't quite get there. It didn't need to though so /shrug. Leaves it open for the next one I guess. That is *if* they decide to go there. They could easily keep him as the tryhard kid. It worked well this time and I can easily see them continuing until it doesn't work.

Also I'm pretty sure Chris Evens really loves Marvel cameos.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Post by Lachlan the Sane » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 am

I caught Despicable Me 3 with my little brother. It doesn't really work. The story is seriously missing any kind of emotional arc and Gru's adopted daughters -- who are supposed to be the emotional core of these films -- are barely there at all. Illumination were obviously trying for an arc between Lucy and the daughters, but it's so bare-bones that it barely qualifies as an arc -- I'm pretty certain you can't describe an arc with only two points of data, and they get all of two relationship scenes. Minion haters can be somewhat sated, because the Minions go on strike early in the movie and don't share many of Gru's scenes, but the minion scenes are longer, more elaborate, and more irrelevant than ever. The antagonist is the best part of the film -- he played a child villain in a terrible 80's TV show, and started re-enacting all of his schemes from the show after it was cancelled when he hit puberty. Expect many jokes about terrible 80's kitsch, like Rubik's Cubes and keytars.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 am

I found out Trollhunter is on Netflix and I'd been hankering to get in on its action back when I spotted the trailer those many many years ago. It's a fun ride if a bit...light. It's a pretty point A to B framework and the whole mockumentary part is more than a little dated, but its got a really well done sense of humor about itself and the special effects are surprisingly on point for such an old movie though they are pretty damn sparse.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Steve C wrote:I watched Spiderman today. Loved it. It was charming and genuinely funny. I laughed at all the points I was supposed to laugh at. The twist caught me in the best way. I did not see it coming and still felt it was foreshadowed well enough that I could have guessed. It could be the best Marvel movie. It probably isn't once given some distance. It's up there regardless.
It also felt like a different sort of twist than you normally get. Its not "he was dead all along" or "its you FROM THE FUTURE" or anything fantastic like that. Its something that could reasonably happen and it adds a nice bit of complication at just the right point in the plot. I'd almost guess that originally this was just going to be a normal scene of boy first meeting his date's parents on his first ever date and that they later thought "too boring, what if the Vulture was her dad? That would really pick up the scene and keep the movie on pace." And it did just that.

Steve C wrote:Tom Holland made a great Spiderman. It's clear to me that they are not basing it off Spiderman from decades gone past. Liz Allen in the movie was not race swapped. It's this Liz Allen. That was 9 years ago. So the young teen demographic for that show is now the mid-twenty-something demographic for this movie. Makes sense (and it makes me feel old.)
He's more of a kid which I kind of like. A 15 year old in the sixties might be closer to being a grown up ready to take on those responsibilities but a 15 year old boy today is still very much a kid only starting to play at more adult things. This is an era when twenty somethings are still not really adults. I liked those moments when you could almost hear him shout "mommy" if he had one.

This is the kind of kid who could use a father figure more than the sixties version needed.
Steve C wrote:I expected a more of a coming of age arc. IE Spiderboy into Spiderman. That didn't happen. The movie seemed to be going in that direction and then didn't quite get there. It didn't need to though so /shrug. Leaves it open for the next one I guess. That is *if* they decide to go there. They could easily keep him as the tryhard kid. It worked well this time and I can easily see them continuing until it doesn't work.
I'm looking forward to seeing a Spiderman who's Aunt May knows he's Spiderman. That was a funny moment at the end. With the reimagining of the characters the old conceits, like the idea that Aunt May is too old and frail to know, just don't hold up. She's anything but frail. Helloooo!! I never thought I'd have a crush on Aunt May.
Steve C wrote:Also I'm pretty sure Chris Evens really loves Marvel cameos.
Best cameo. Also my favorite joke from the movie "I'm pretty sure that guy's a war criminal now but whatever."
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:I liked those moments when you could almost hear him shout "mommy" if he had one.
Its great how he manages to portray two distinct layers of spiderman at the same time.He is a very competent and tough superhero,but at the same time he is an unsure kid.The beginning of the fight with the "avengers" where he tries to find the perfect cool pose was great.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:This is the kind of kid who could use a father figure more than the sixties version needed.
And yet,all he has is tony stank.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing a Spiderman who's Aunt May knows he's Spiderman.
Yeah,the mcu does heavily go in the direction of no cover identities.Which Im perfectly fine with.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:Helloooo!! I never thought I'd have a crush on Aunt May.
Ah,so you never read trouble.

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Best cameo. Also my favorite joke from the movie "I'm pretty sure that guy's a war criminal now but whatever."
My favorite is "Ask yourself what would captain america do",and then peter rebels.Also the end.There were only two people in the theater crazy enough to wait for it.Worth it.
Wide And Nerdy

Post by Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:I liked those moments when you could almost hear him shout "mommy" if he had one.
Its great how he manages to portray two distinct layers of spiderman at the same time.He is a very competent and tough superhero,but at the same time he is an unsure kid.The beginning of the fight with the "avengers" where he tries to find the perfect cool pose was great.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:This is the kind of kid who could use a father figure more than the sixties version needed.
And yet,all he has is tony stank.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing a Spiderman who's Aunt May knows he's Spiderman.
Yeah,the mcu does heavily go in the direction of no cover identities.Which Im perfectly fine with.
Wide And Nerdy wrote:Helloooo!! I never thought I'd have a crush on Aunt May.
Ah,so you never read trouble.

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Best cameo. Also my favorite joke from the movie "I'm pretty sure that guy's a war criminal now but whatever."
My favorite is "Ask yourself what would captain america do",and then peter rebels.Also the end.There were only two people in the theater crazy enough to wait for it.Worth it.
"What would Captain America Do?" Is terrible advice for kids. Captain America jumps out of planes without a parachute. He rebels against government to help his friends (something I support Cap doing but a child shouldn't do that). Tony certainly wouldn't want Peter to do what Captain America does as that would have Peter becoming a more active superhero.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 pm

The City of a Thousand Planets is all the style and weirdly juvenile enthusiasm of The Fifth Element bumped up to eleven apparently achieved by sacrificing engaging characters. This movie does something I'm not sure I've ever seen before. The story focuses on two protagonists that are so terribly written as to be irredeemably unlikable, but are portrayed by two actors so poorly suited to those roles that their poor performances effectively nullify their own awful character traits. Thankfully, it allowed me to almost completely ignore them and just get soaked in by the amaze-balls design of this world they created. It's so saturated in French sci-fi comic book aesthetic, I felt like I was drinking Moebius directly into my eyeballs and loved every glorious, intricate frame of it! Heartily recommend, just make sure you're in it for the right reasons.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:17 pm

That opening sequence was almost worth the ticket price all by itself.

One thing that really bugged me, though, was in regards to Bubble. I really liked the character and wish she had had a bigger role. But what bothered me was her death scene. It was so...hand-waved? Like, she's completely fine one scene, then the next she is dying. And she even says, "I guess I was injured in the fight somehow." Like...wouldn't she know for sure? She 'guesses' she was injured 'somehow?' I don't know, it just really stuck out for me and kind of broke immersion, the way it was so rushed.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 pm

Yeah, the writing throughout has all the nuance of baby's first fanfic, but I honestly wasn't that impressed by the opening number. I'd also heard it was Le Pinaccle of Feelm, but I found the song choice obvious and the sequence in general to be mildly repetitive and stale. Not bad by any stretch, but honestly, it just wasn't all that impressive when compared to the stunning entirety that was the marketplace sequence.
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm not a movie guy. I don't keep up with the new releases, I watch maybe one movie a year.

But every now and then, I become aware of a film that I know I need to watch immediately.

That's what happened with Zero Charisma. A story about a GM who is a giant dick, and the sole source of all his many problems? Sign me the fuck up!

Enter Scott, the prototypical motherfucker GM. He is a giant loser, a manbaby who cannot deal with that fact that he's a loser, and the only power he has in his life is in lording over his players at the table. He runs the same campaign that's been ongoing for three years, with the same people, using his own homebrewed system (that will surely get picked up by major publishers any day now), never misses game night and takes the game WAY too seriously, the way people do when it's the only thing they have in life.

Then, as the movie progressess, the game and what little else he has going for him gradually falls apart, as he struggles to try and keep it together and maybe, just maybe, comes around to the idea that the world ins't actually conspiring against him, and also he might just be a bit of a massive dickhead.

I'm not sure if the movie is meant to be an emotional drama, but I saw it as a hilarious cringe comedy: watching the protagonist bumble into shitty social situations and proceed to dig himself deeper into the shit-pit was an absolute blast, and anyone who has had the misfortune to play tabletop games with that guy will get extra vengeful catharsis from watching him suffer.

It's not a deep psychological look into the dysfunction of the mind or anything like that, there's no great question or message here, other than "Don't be a manbaby" and "Tabletop gaming is supposed to be fun". But it felt real, it felt like whoever made the movie had some real life experience dealing with those kinds of people. And it was a movie about thorougly "geeky" subject matter that didn't come across like it was written by a bunch of hollywood executives trying to cash in on those nerdbook comicgames that are all the rage with the demographics.
Steve C

Post by Steve C » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Couple of questions... Is the trailer a good representation of the movie? You called it a cringe comedy. Do you mean like Napoleon Dynamite or like something else?
bitterpark

Post by bitterpark » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Steve C wrote:Couple of questions... Is the trailer a good representation of the movie?
Not quite. It's really light on the cringe scenes, which are the bulk of the movie, and it also gives the (false) impression the protagonist is capable of more than making a complete ass of himself.
You called it a cringe comedy. Do you mean like Napoleon Dynamite or like something else?
I dunno, I've never seen Napoleon Dynamite.
I called it a cringe comedy because I was cringing and laughing at every scene.
I can't think of any movie examples I could compare it to, but I was reminded of the anime WataMote while watching - it doesn't quite go as over-the-top into the cringe, but it gets pretty close at times.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:30 pm

I heard Atomic Blonde came from the same guys behind John Wick and I can believe that. They're both essentially meat 'n potatoes all style no substance 'flicks', but there is a clear difference between the two properties. AB doesn't seem to have nearly as much confidence in its protagonist. JW wore itself with the quiet confidence of its high class suits because they understood Keanu Reeves had what it took to show it off. AB is a love letter to 80's noir, but the much trashier pulp side and it ends up being a lot less classy in how it shows that off. The music is loud, the synths are heavy and the neon is saturated. But instead of focusing on meat 'n potatoes action, we get meat 'n potatoes spy thriller. Which means a boilerplate plot with obvious or uninteresting twists with the occasional awesome action sequences, and in between all that is a movie that'd rather focus on how stylish it's making everything rather than Furiosa. I guess I get why. Charlize is able to put a lot of depth into a character that doesn't have any on the page, but its still a well done performance of an essentially uninteresting character that doesn't do a lot compared to the non-character of Wick who compensated by doing everything all the time!
Bloodsquirrel

Post by Bloodsquirrel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:10 pm

So I saw Alien: Covenant finally.

Now, I know this can't be what literally happened, but the movie feels exactly like Ridley Scott was trying to make a much smarter, tenser, slower-paced movie, but had an executive standing behind his directing chair constantly asking when the alien was going to show up, then taking over during the second half of the movie with wbatever idea popped into his head.

"Oh! We need those things that jump on people's faces now! And stuff ripping out of people's chests! And we need to get the alien on the ship! What? Why is hiding? It's, like, super-badass, right? Just have it run around and get shot a bunch and like, it doesn't even care!"

You can see the parts of a great film sticking out from underneath, but it's much less developed than Prometheus was and veers even more heavily into artless action garbage.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Logan Lucky's a fun film. It's really not all that much beyond it's one gimmick of Heist Film but with Hicks, but it's played sincere for the most part. It's mostly a 'performance' film, where the enjoyment's in just watching actors play 'quirky' characters and while yeah, Daniel Craig is the undisputed show stealer, I actually kinda grokked to Adam Driver's character more. As someone who spent the majority of his formative years living out in the boonies his affectations felt...strikingly familiar.
Daemian Lucifer

Post by Daemian Lucifer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:22 pm

People seem to be liking the it remake,when before everyone was dreading that it would suck.Im glad whenever such a thing happens,even when I dont care for the movie at all.Its just so much nicer when a movie can beat all the odds and end up being good.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 pm

Even though It...shouldn't be? Like, I literally I just got back from It and the thing I'm taking away from It is that It...technically isn't good. I mean in terms of plot structure and pacing and all that jazz. The characters are all performed incredibly well in It. Not a bad apple in this motley bunch. However...uh...how to put this. There's one person who doesn't quite get equal representation and It has real noticeable difficulty integrating him with the rest of the group dynamics which ends up making him feel very token.

...can you guess which one I'm talking abouIt's the black kid.

Ignoring that - and I'm not saying ya should - It is still a movie that's long as hell and worse yet, It is repetitive as hell and worse even yet, It is repetitive as hell because It is all jump scares. Like, there's no other kind of scare in It. Just jump scares, only jump scares, all jump scares, until the end of time.

...and yet...

These are by a wiiiiiiiiide margin the...best...jump scares. It crafts these jump scares like a goddamn 100 course meal...cause yer gonna be eating a lotta fucking jump scares in this long ass movie. But It is all okay because they are so refreshingly good. More to the point, the core reason they're so damn good - aside from pure craftsmanship - is the fact that they're all character focused. There's very little in It that isn't devoted to The Losers Club and what they are about individually and as a group which ends up really doing a lot to sweep aside all the pacing and structure issues. Oh and as a final note, prop to Bill Skarsgård. This guy's in this movie a not insignificant amount of time, and he manages to...uh...ahem...make his presence known. Yeah, the nature of movie means he's a lot more...visceral than Curry's version, but I'd say they're both on par for what they were trying to do.
Narratorway

Post by Narratorway » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:21 pm

mother!

...I don't get it.

I mean, I get what the movie is. I got that part down in the very first shot, but I don't get what it's about. I mean, I'm not really a part of its...uh...'demographic', but I do have at least a passing knowledge of the source material it...um...references and I'm not sure everything adds up 1:1 here.
JadedDM

Post by JadedDM » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 am

I haven't seen it, but I read about it. And it's allegory, of course, so I suppose it's open to interpretation, but I got the impression it was about environmentalism. Oh, and that God is kind of a dick.