Movies are cool as well

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Lachlan the Sane
Location: I come from the land down under, where women blow and men chunder

Re: Movies are cool as well

Postby Lachlan the Sane » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:04 am

So I saw Wonder Woman! I liked it quite a lot! Random thoughts:

- Final fight with Ares was the worst part of the film by far. What is it with these DCCU movies? That fight was pure teal and orange, and very badly shot compared to the rest of the film. It looked like it was directed by Snyder. Also, we've had three of them so far and the big bad of every single one of them has been a dude in gun-metal grey spiky armour. What's with that?

- I did like the casting of Ares himself, though -- Professor Lupin explaining his (admittedly bullshit) philosophy in a calm teacherly voice was a better accompaniment for that battle than William Stryker going off about the glory of war.

- Regarding the depiction of Germans -- I think the reason that there's so much argument about it in this thread is actually that the Germans weren't there? The only German soldiers with any speaking lines beyond the barely perfunctory were the obvious arsehole general and the guy that the general shot when he said there wasn't enough time. I did like the moment at the very end of the film where the Germans were embracing the Howling Commandos, that was nice and sympathetic, but it came out of nowhere. At least one other sympathetic German would have made the alleged "all war is bad" message a lot clearer.

- Etta Candy was there! And she wasn't a completely shit one-note joke either! To my own Golden-Age-obsessed comic brain this was about as revolutionary as the Snyder Batman teaming up with Lego Robin.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:05 am

Gentlemen...and statistically unlikely ladies...I need confess something before I proceed with what I'm about to say: I...like the Transformer movies. Sorry, I can't do it. I just can't. It's not true!

I FUCKING LOVE THE TRANSFORMERS MOVIES!

I love their incomprehensibility, their glorious inanity, their absolutely bizarre obsession with over-the-top insane racial stereotypes and most of all, their utter indifference - nay, distaste - for narrative structure on every conceivable filmic level. The 'best' one is the first one and it is eeeeeeasily my least favorite, specifically for that reason. When I first watched it, I was amazed at it. I couldn't believe a movie could get away with being this...brazen. It felt like the ur-parody of Michael Bay. I literally described it as 'Michael Bay at his Michael Bayest'...and with each new movie, I would forever walk away thinking, "This is the one! It has to be. He can't possibly make it any more ludicrous...I don't even see how it's possible..."

Transformers 5 continues the tradition of me continually underestimating the completely lack of fucks Michael Bay truly gives. Somewhere around Day 3 of this week long movie, there is a scene where Bay breaks the fourth wall to point out how needless, intrusive and genuinely anti-dramatic the orchestral stings he puts into his scenes - he literally has a character say "you ruined the moment" - and continues to do it for the rest of the movie anyway. There's that little girl from the trailer who is in the first part of like...three first acts to annoy Marky Mark, but is literally excised entirely from the movie until the finale...and she's still got more screen time as a whole than Optimus Prime! God it's just...NO! I can't! I can't even begin to approach all the things this movie does 'wrong'. There isn't even one scene that goes by without some part of it being straight up...

I can't! I can't...I just...can't...

y'know...

Wow.

Okay, so there are movies that are a giant middle finger to the audience. This movie is not that. This movie is Michael Bay dropping trau and revealing his fully erect penis upon which has tattooed a middle finger.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:39 pm

Bad movies certainly are an art of its own.It takes special (lack of) talent in order to pull off something bad,yet still genuinely entertaining,if only for the wrong reasons.So,if I understood you correctly,you are saying that Michael Bay is modern Ed Wood,but with a bigger budget.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 pm

I watched Wonder Woman yesterday. I thought it was really good. The best DC movie since Batman 2 at least. (Which is an incredibly low bar but still.) I saw a twist coming a mile away and was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong and Dr Poison wasn't Aries. Of course the general wasn't going to be Aries.

All the criticisms here I thought were completely valid. I don't agree with most of them. Still they certainly have merit. One criticism that I agree with 100% is that the color palette is needlessly washed out and not very good. One bit of praise I didn't agree with was the lasso. I thought the lasso looked lame. Wonder Woman definitely has the best theme music though.

I'd say Wonder Woman aims for slightly above average and hits it. There's a lot of truly terrible movies (especially action movies) in there that sink the bell curve. The average is pretty low. Edit: Wonder Woman was significantly better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2. A movie I also enjoyed but was a mess of out of tune notes they tried to hit and missed.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Steve C wrote:I watched Wonder Woman yesterday. I thought it was really good. The best DC movie since Batman 2 at least. (Which is an incredibly low bar but still.) I saw a twist coming a mile away and was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong and Dr Poison wasn't Aries. Of course the general wasn't going to be Aries.

All the criticisms here I thought were completely valid. I don't agree with most of them. Still they certainly have merit. One criticism that I agree with 100% is that the color palette is needlessly washed out and not very good. One bit of praise I didn't agree with was the lasso. I thought the lasso looked lame. Wonder Woman definitely has the best theme music though.

I'd say Wonder Woman aims for slightly above average and hits it. There's a lot of truly terrible movies (especially action movies) in there that sink the bell curve. The average is pretty low. Edit: Wonder Woman was significantly better than Guardians of the Galaxy 2. A movie I also enjoyed but was a mess of out of tune notes they tried to hit and missed.

See I didn't see the twist coming at first because I didn't have that much faith in the movie so I expected them to play it straight and boring. But when I saw how it played into her character arc, thats when I conceded it could be someone else.. The twist nobody predicted is that Ares really does looks like a pasty victorian british man, thats not just a disguise.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:32 pm

You know, I'm still fascinated by how reasonable the reaction is to Wonder Woman film. Everyone enjoying a 'pretty good' film is almost weird to me.

And sure it had the benefit of low expectations, but I expected either
a) People to overhype the film for beating the expectations.
b) People to hate on the film because people are 'being kind' to it.
c) People to dismiss the film because it's 'only' pretty good.
d) All of the above.

Box office wise Wonder Woman being decent is finally swinging in its favour. It's still losing out to worse DC films , but it's closing the gap. It's also going to be the most successful female directed film thats not Frozen or Kung Fu Panda 2 - another low bar that's good to see pushed higher.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:16 pm

They absolutely did do the usual thing, the whole, "This movie is important because no woman has ever led an action film, or any movie, actually no woman has ever acted before, all women have only had babies and cried since the last Ice Age," thing, completely shitting all over much braver, better forerunners and drastically overstating their importance in a grossly masturbatory and cynical way, but I don't hold that against Wonder Woman in particular because literally every movie does this. The actress that played the chick in fucking Pixels gave interviews about how the role advanced the stature of women in film and society. In as little as a year, another movie will advance the same story, throwing Wonder Woman right under the bus, proving what the industry really thinks of the film, and of all female-led films, and of their audience, completing the foreordained cycle.

And I don't care if it's Patty Jenkins or whoever, but some female director needs to get enough mainstream recognition that it's safe to admit Kathryn Bigelow belongs in a fucking dumpster. I'd sacrifice ten thousand bulls to Ba'al for the Oscars for The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty to be rescinded and melted down into slag.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:07 pm

It is, unfortunately due to the circumstances of the world, rare for such a high-budget (superhero) film to have a woman as the protagonist, and a female director?

It's also quite good, not exactly mindblowing, but considering you don't get many films of that type of quality filling that field, it makes it pretty significant.

Also beat Marvel to it, despite them doing the superhero thing so popularly for much longer.

Not to mention "concrete statement" headlines are all the rage for certain internet sites to try and draw in traffic. Which is only propped up when there's stupid people saying they'll "boycott" it due to a thematically-appropriate women's-only post-release screening done by a small cinema that does thematically-appropriate post-release screenings.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:They absolutely did do the usual thing, the whole, "This movie is important because no woman has ever led an action film, or any movie, actually no woman has ever acted before, all women have only had babies and cried since the last Ice Age," thing, completely shitting all over much braver, better forerunners and drastically overstating their importance in a grossly masturbatory and cynical way, but I don't hold that against Wonder Woman in particular because literally every movie does this. The actress that played the chick in fucking Pixels gave interviews about how the role advanced the stature of women in film and society. In as little as a year, another movie will advance the same story, throwing Wonder Woman right under the bus, proving what the industry really thinks of the film, and of all female-led films, and of their audience, completing the foreordained cycle.

And I don't care if it's Patty Jenkins or whoever, but some female director needs to get enough mainstream recognition that it's safe to admit Kathryn Bigelow belongs in a fucking dumpster. I'd sacrifice ten thousand bulls to Ba'al for the Oscars for The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty to be rescinded and melted down into slag.

What they didn't do was that thing Ghostbusters did where they accused the community of being sexist against them. To my knowledge anyway. I would have seen that in other communities I follow.
lurkey

Postby lurkey » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:52 pm

The Rocketeer wrote:[...] safe to admit Kathryn Bigelow belongs in a fucking dumpster. I'd sacrifice ten thousand bulls to Ba'al for the Oscars for The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty to be rescinded and melted down into slag.

"Strange Days" was great.
The Rocketeer

Postby The Rocketeer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Ringwraith wrote:Not to mention "concrete statement" headlines are all the rage for certain internet sites to try and draw in traffic. Which is only propped up when there's stupid people saying they'll "boycott" it due to a thematically-appropriate women's-only post-release screening done by a small cinema that does thematically-appropriate post-release screenings.
"It's all the rage" is really not a compelling reason to lie and massively overstate your significance by eagerly taking part in the reductivist out-of-hand dismissal you simultaneously claim to fight against, unless you're a completely cynical hack who only cares about that angle to the extent that pushing it will fill a few more seats.

That Wonder Woman is a competent film with capable direction is all but immaterial to the studio, and totally coincidental to the marketing angle of the film as a groundbreaker; it's a perfect example of a stopped clock being right twice a day. For me, the test is, "If Wonder Woman actually has the significance they claim, will it be remembered the next time a studio wants to push the unprecedented female-lead angle?" Nope. The new contender next year won't be another step for women in film; it will be the first step, again, another in a long line of first steps, just like Ghostbusters was the first chance for women to be funny in film, and like Ashley Benson in Pixels was the first chance to show the "strong, capable side of women." Because apparently everything that came before was worth dog shit. I mean, I don't believe that, and no one with the slightest perspective or actual cinema awareness could believe that, but PR flacks avowedly pushing the envelope of women in cinema sure seem to believe it, and all the more strongly every time, at that.

The truth is that if the industry wanted to normalize the idea of women in various roles, or as leads, they would start acting like it were normal, even if it isn't the case yet, rather than treating each new chance to market a movie as if it were a no-hope long shot whose time will only have come if we fight tooth-and-nail for it (by buying tickets and spreading word of mouth). They'd act with legitimate conviction in their egalitarian principles and cast women where they pleased, rather than begging the public to take responsibility and drag them into the future (or into the present, as it were) with all the ticket money they can spare. They'd stop leveraging the "some asshole somewhere" stupid-pet-trick by casting malcontent nobody detractors (e.g. your "boycott" nothingburger) as looming, monolithic establishment threats that must be torn down in a historic crescendo of passion like the Berlin Wall. But the more marketable angle is the role of an outlier and oddity, and they will hold on to the image of their latest projects as outliers and oddities with the desperate grip of a drowning man on an icy rope, even though this prolongs the popular image of women in cinema as outside the mainstream and holds their alleged cause back over the longer term for the sake of each individual chance to siphon money out of an identity group.

Hollywood enjoys the image of being progressive risk-takers daring to confront the powers-that-be with uncomfortable truths, when they're among the most conservative, risk-averse corporate oligarchies on Earth, largely out of touch with and entirely indifferent to the culture at large beyond them, obsessed with their self-styled heroic image while bowing without hesitation to the vulgar exigencies of pandering and exploitation. I guarantee that Hollywood's eventual transition away from their vindictive and cynical exploitation of the idea of women as a radical choice for roles won't come when it actually stops being beyond the mainstream; it will be long after everyone else moves on without them and reinforces the reality, firmly and repeatedly, that their once-proven marketing pablum is an embarrassingly dated crutch that's costing them money. That day can't come soon enough.

lurkey wrote:"Strange Days" was great.
You know, this is the damnedest thing about Bigelow: she made some really entertaining movies in the nineties. Strange Days is actually the one I've missed out on, but I've seen almost every other movie she's directed, and her Nineties output was great... though mostly as schlock cinema entertaining for how bad it is. I mean, she directed fucking Point Break, one of the most famously guffaw-inducing quintessentially-'90's movies, one that almost anyone can name. Blue Steel was an enjoyable-if laughable thriller I've seen a couple of -times, K-19 was a fun dumb action movie, and the little-watched schlock vampire flick Near Dark might be one of the greatest masterpieces of so-bad-it's-amazing cinema to come from an Academy Award-winning director. It's important to point out that none of these movies were enjoyable because they were well-directed.

So then she disappears from the director's chair for several years, and comes back out of nowhere with the massive hit The Hurt Locker, a radically different film than the popcorn fluff she'd handled before and an overnight Academy darling. This one film rocketed her in popular conception from "Who?" or "You mean James Cameron's ex-wife?" or "Wow, she directed Point Break? Seriously? Hah! I remember Point Break! 'YOU'RE A WILD MAN JOHNNY UTAH!' Haha!" to a dead-serious director that every industry writer had to have a deep, appreciative opinion of. The one big problem was that The Hurt Locker is a massive pile of shit, the absolute lowest form of farcical Hollywood jerkoff fantasy masquerading as a deadly-serious war drama. I have met so many veterans that hate this idiotic fucking pile of flaming garbage with passion derived from personal insult, and I'm one among them. You could spin a hydroelectric turbine with all the righteous spit The Hurt Locker has more than earned from anyone with any personal connection to— or, fuck me, even barely functional understanding of— the people and events depicted by the film. It's a tapestry of pointless, maudlin reality-optional hand-wringing about the Middle East that Hollywood delighted in churning out near the end of the Bush administration, a la Syriana or Green Zone.

But the difference between those films and The Hurt Locker was that Hurt Locker won an Academy Award for Best Picture, and Bigelow for Best Director. This was a fucking travesty, and one that had extraordinarily little to do with the quality of the film or Kathryn Bigelow's talent as a director, which hadn't increased since the time she was directing schlock genre filler like Blue Steel. Fittingly, it did have a lot to do with her being a woman— specifically, with her being James Cameron's ex-wife. The story of that year's Academy Awards was wrapped tightly up in Bigelow's shitfuck film The Hurt Locker and Cameron's special effects epic Avatar, and its place in the drama stemming from the former couple's livid divorce proceedings and the ugly rumors surrounding their (read: James') marital conduct. With the Academy judges in the role of impromptu divorce liaisons, they had the choice between handing the highest of the industry's awards to the super-serious pet cause flick effortlessly pandering to the Academy demo bubble directed by the red-hot beloved-of-the-moment rising serious female director— who would be the first woman to win Director— or to the epic-visual popcorn commoner phenomenon that probably made Academy types retch in their mouths that would otherwise win all but by default, directed by a man who'd already won Oscars before? No brainer.

But now that Bigelow's tasted gold that she absolutely didn't deserve and totally lucked into for all but totally political and irl drama-based reasons (a quintessentially-Academy operation), she's embraced her new directorial direction whole-hog despite still being the director of motherfucking Near Dark. She recapitulated the Hurt Locker formula with Zero Dark Thirty, doing for the intelligence community what she did for EOD and infantry with the Hurt Locker: abusing their likeness and total lack of voice in Hollywood to hack together an aimless, perfervid hand-wringing odyssey of drivel minutely tailored to Marin County angst about anything tangentially connected the Middle East. And she won another Oscar for it, although it was a bullshit technical award because the Academy had already put her over once and didn't need to signal as strongly that they felt deeply and reverently for this embarrassing toilet clog of a film.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I don't have high hopes for her upcoming film about the National Guard-involved Detroit race riots.
Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Oh well there goes my belief of a reasonable reaction. I am including all your text above as to whatever marketing triggered it.

I'll always have Paris
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:08 pm

The idea it probably won't prove anything to soulless suits at large is certainly a cynical one but sadly probably true, that's for sure.
Despite, ya know, disproving all the utter nonsense they spout about such things usually that female-led films aren't popular/good and such.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Roger Ebert liked The Hurt Locker.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 pm

. . . I thought The Hurt Locker was decent.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:37 am

I didn't.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:30 am

Thomas wrote:Oh well there goes my belief of a reasonable reaction.

How?He didnt dismiss wonder woman as bad,or undeserved of the success it got,just that the marketing for it was the standard shit,which it was.It wasnt as bad as some other marketing ploys(ghostbusters),but it had its moments.Also,his rant about hollywood is not wrong,the majority of it are pretentious,money grubbing,tasteless liars.

The Rocketeer wrote: I'd sacrifice ten thousand bulls to Ba'al for the Oscars for The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty to be rescinded and melted down into slag.

I thought those two got praise primarily because AMERICA FUCK YEA,not because they were directed by a woman.You know,the same reason why transformers keep getting so much money despite being utter shit.

Wide And Nerdy wrote:What they didn't do was that thing Ghostbusters did where they accused the community of being sexist against them.

Ah,but you see,ghostbusters was directed by a man,which is,as we all know a true ideal of feminism.Wonder woman was not only directed by a woman,but also the male costar was not a dumb unable to live moron.Thats why the couldnt do that sensible campaign without being disingenuous.

Supahewok wrote:Roger Ebert liked The Hurt Locker.

And as we all know,Roger Ebert was neeeever wrong.He had perfect and perfectly objective taste that everyone in the world agreed with.

Ringwraith wrote:Which is only propped up when there's stupid people saying they'll "boycott" it due to a thematically-appropriate women's-only post-release screening done by a small cinema that does thematically-appropriate post-release screenings.

You mean how they did a black only screening for twelwe years a slave?Or hong kong only screening for the remake of karate kid?They didnt do that stunt because its "thematically appropriate"(it isnt),they did it as a cheap marketing ploy.But nah,its those who hated the ploy that are stupid,unlike those smart people who want to boycot and pirate last night.
Sudanna

Postby Sudanna » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

Steve C wrote:I didn't.

I guess I was fourteen when I saw it, actually. Maybe fourteen-year-old-me didn't have great taste in movies.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Ringwraith wrote:Which is only propped up when there's stupid people saying they'll "boycott" it due to a thematically-appropriate women's-only post-release screening done by a small cinema that does thematically-appropriate post-release screenings.

You mean how they did a black only screening for twelwe years a slave?Or hong kong only screening for the remake of karate kid?They didnt do that stunt because its "thematically appropriate"(it isnt),they did it as a cheap marketing ploy.But nah,its those who hated the ploy that are stupid,unlike those smart people who want to boycot and pirate last night.

Sure they're marketing things, but suddenly only because it's a superhero film and only letting women in it's suddenly a 'bigger deal' than the rest of them?
The "thematically appropriate" was in regards to theming of the screening itself, like for the women-only Wonder Woman screening no male staff were working it.

Because some guys buying tickets to a women-only screening to deliberately not go to it aren't being daft about it or anything.
The point was the existence of the vitriol directed at the concept of a women-only screening, not that there was criticism of their marketing gimmicks.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 am

The Hurt Locker and 0D30 are perfectly fine war dramas. They're not slag material, they're just...they exist. The idea they aren't accurate or respectable as a measure of quality is a route I'm genuinely surprised to see you take Rocket. At least that you have that expectation from...well, any Hollywood product really.

Baby Driver's a movie I didn't even know it existed until yesterday when Brad gave it a rundown. Once I heard the name Edgar Wright though, I instantly clicked it off before I hit spoilers and checked to see if it was running at my local plex. It was and I got the first showing I could grab.

I was disappointed...but not in the movie.

BD really is in a shit position. The nature of it means it needs to be in the theater auditorium with the most robust sound system reserved for the big hitters, but the aud I was in might as well have played the damn thing in mono. It really killed what would have been an absolute killer movie I hope I can eventually see with appropriate equipment. As for the movie itself:

It's Drive if Drive were directed by Edgar Wright. It's about a teenage savant getaway driver who's Trying To Go Straight and Just When He Thinks Hes Out, he's Pulled Back In for One Last Job when Everything Goes to Hell and...look, you know what this is. This is not a 'plot' kind of movie. What it is is non stop tone, style and deft characterization at all moments and at all times and features some - if not the - coolest car chases I've ever seen in any movie and the most in-your-face editing-to-a-soundtrack that I've ever seen...including actual music videos.

Not pointing that out as a fault mind. The soundtracks boss as hell!
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:33 am

I watched that emoji movie trailer Shamoose tweeted about and....I cant decide if its genuine or ironic.Because the only thing that I felt about that whole sequence of pictures is "meh".But the whole movie IS based around a meh.And I cant decide if thats a deliberate joke or an epic fail.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 pm

I decided to watch the last two Shyamalan movies that critics tell are his return to glory.First,I saw split.It wasnt good.It wasnt as insulting as some of his other movies,but it was far from being good.And the "twist" wasnt even a twist because the dumbchiatrist lady kept talking about it during the whole movie.Gee,I wonder if this supernatural thing this character keeps talking about in this movie made by the guy who keeps injecting supernatural things in all his movies will turn out to be true?Oh no,what a shock,it was true.Pass.Plust,I saw identity way back,and that was done far better and the twist was far more twisty.

Oh and the cameo in the end.Meh,didnt care for it.Unbreakable is great,this is not.So what if they are in the same universe.

Then I saw the visit.Now this one is far better.And while I saw the twist rather early,the two "meta" twists have genuinely surprised me.First,this is a Shyamalan movie with no supernatural elements in it!That was shocking.Second,the stereotypical annoying white kid with a lisp that likes to rap is not annoying but an actual lovable kid who I sympathized with!My jaw dropped at this one.So hey,a third Shyamalan movie that I genuinely like*,thats nice.

*The happening doesnt count.I like that one in the same way as twilight 5,laughing AT it,not WITH it.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:23 pm

That...wasn't the twist...
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:14 am

So anyway Spiderman's cool. Fucking finally have a Spiderman where they sensibly acknowledge he's the kinda guy who wouldn't be able to hide his identity for shit. It's not very good narrative-wise, y'know...'character arcs' 'pacing' and all that other good shit, but as a thirty and some change year old, it was a fun tone piece in youth culture...which appears to be it's 'thing'.

Okay, so like, all these Marvel movies are starting to feel the same, right? But they started out strong because each movie brought something new to the table and I can understand how them simply being solid movies at this point feels...samey. This? This is the first of the films that feels like it was very deliberately made for a demographic I'm not a part of. Like I said, on the surface it just feels like another Marvel movie: Fun, kinda sloppy and haphazard, but in the end it's a solid bit of mildly disposable entertainment. However the feel and tone of it is so very clearly directed towards young kids - modern kids - it almost feels like a tv pilot for whatever channel would run the modern equivalent of Degrassi.

That's the thing, I can't really say if the movie's 'good' or not because this if the first of the Marvel movies where I'm not the gold they're digging for. I mean, I found it entertaining in a bemusing outsider-looking-in kinda way, but it's not something I can really latch onto and I don't think I'm going to be the only one. Either way, I'm genuinely impressed Marvel can still take risks like that. Don't know if it'll pay off in the end, but props to 'em.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:39 pm

I can say that its good.Its not the most epic of marvel movies,it doesnt have an amazing groundbreaking story,nor the best action scenes,but Im putting it as one of the best marvel movies.This guy,he is the real spiderman.He is an awkward nerd with superpowers,he has no clue how to juggle two identities yet he is trying to because he doesnt want his aunt to worry.He is a kid superhero going against grown up criminals who can see through his lies in seconds,and he is doing things he thinks are right and moral.And thats great.Im putting this guy up there with captain america,who is still the one I like the most.

Oh,and the world spiderman is living in?Its the realest one of the whole franchise.If aliens were to crash into the real world,heck yeah people would attempt to integrate their tech like in this movie.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”