Sex DOESNT sell

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Sex DOESNT sell

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm

Well,this is an interesting development.A study was made looking at the results of a bunch of other studies that disproves the common myth that sex sells.Or,to be more precise,sex does sell,but not the product that the commercial was sexed up for.While people are more likely to look at a sexy ad,they will remember the model and what they are doing in the ad more than the product itself.Kind of obvious when you think about it,actually.
Jokerman

Re: Sex DOESNT sell

Postby Jokerman » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 pm

As far as advertising sure, did they test how much in sells in in the product it's self? So like, obviously in games, movies and TV that would be sex scenes and such.
Narratorway

Postby Narratorway » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:27 am

Sex sells if sex is what you're selling is something peeps have know since before I was born.
Jokerman

Postby Jokerman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:38 am

Narratorway wrote:Sex sells if sex is what you're selling is something peeps have know since before I was born.

I know people who are turned off by the frequent nudity in Game Of Thrones... i wonder if it does better or worse without nudity.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Jokerman wrote:
Narratorway wrote:Sex sells if sex is what you're selling is something peeps have know since before I was born.

I know people who are turned off by the frequent nudity in Game Of Thrones... i wonder if it does better or worse without nudity.

As the guy on this site who probably most often defends having sex appeal in games, I was still struck and a bit put off by the sheer gratuitousness of this in Game of Thrones. Its that whole thing where you're out of your house with your friends and you say all the naughty stuff that would get you in trouble with your parents. Basically every HBO show seems to have it (I could stand to see a lot less of Larry David ;) )

Don't get me wrong, I liked looking but at the same time it felt a bit pandering.

The programs I've watched didn't need it. I'd have watched Westworld even if everybody was fully covered.
dudecon

Postby dudecon » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Sounds like they need a follow-up study on media products which feature sexualized content. Sounds like the meta-study focused on food, comodities, and consumer products.
Still though, interesting!
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:41 pm

I think its possible that it used to sell and it doesn't anymore.

We have the internet. Not only does that mean we get what we want on demand, it also means we're desensitized to it.

I realized this when I bought Nier Automata. The appeal was part of the selling point for me but I realized I wasn't enjoying the rest of it and I could easily find stuff about 2B for free on the internet.

Now, if the rest of it was there, I think this would have been helpful, but not on its own. It can't work as a crutch anymore.

Not to say I don't take it. I have mods for Skyrim including one for the loading screens which I wish I'd found back when I didn't have an SSD. Would have made the early days of Skyrim so much better.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:I think its possible that it used to sell and it doesn't anymore.

Could be.But the studies included in the analysis are from 69 until present.So not only predating the internet,but practically from the beginning of the rise of television commercials.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
Wide And Nerdy wrote:I think its possible that it used to sell and it doesn't anymore.

Could be.But the studies included in the analysis are from 69 until present.So not only predating the internet,but practically from the beginning of the rise of television commercials.

Then maybe it used to sell for the content. I know the reason I went to see Batman Forever a second time in theaters was Nicole Kidman (no really, look up pics of her in that movie.)
Trix2000

Postby Trix2000 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:Then maybe it used to sell for the content. I know the reason I went to see Batman Forever a second time in theaters was Nicole Kidman (no really, look up pics of her in that movie.)
Thing is, your specific case could be countered by another individual who rejected it for such content (for whatever reason). It's hard for us to draw any conclusions from that.

The study is more reliable in that sense since it takes into account a lot more data/people's specific circumstances, but I feel like it's still maybe not going to be a perfect representation of things. There's a lot of variables in play for the 'sex sells' concept.

Though personally, I do feel like there's been some slight moving away from relying on sexy content to get eyeballs - not so much that the concept is leaving so much as producers are slowly realizing other methods of getting people's attention better (and for longer). This is, of course, just a hand-wavy general impression of mine, though.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”