Things that made you bemused today (exist in a quantum state of cool/uncool)

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
grahams_xwing

Re: Things that made you bemused today (exist in a quantum state of cool/uncool)

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Andrew wrote:We're currently building a house. Due to be finished in January'ish.

We're currently renting an apartment. Lease is due to end in January.

Just found out yesterday that our Landlord has sold up and the buyers want to live in the Apartment from October'ish. No, we're not homeless. We're going to move in with folks instead until the house is built.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the plus side, we are saving approximately $6,000 in rent and utilities that will go straight to furnishing the new house. We'll also have home cooked meals and my dad, being the cool guy he is, isn't charging us board.

On the downside... living with parents. i haven't done that for nearly 8 years. >.>

On the upside, that first period in your new home is going to feel amazing, liberating and pure freedom, so you have that to look forward to! Tough lack of alone time with your 'significant other' though - that would be seriously tough for me! GOOD LUCK!
Steve C

Re: Things that made you bemused today (exist in a quantum state of cool/uncool)

Postby Steve C » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Take lots of detailed photos of the house as it's being built. Especially for things like where pipes are in the walls, where wires are being run, what's under the concrete before it's poured etc. All the boring parts that get covered up. It can be very helpful years down the line when you want to do something, but are afraid of breaking something important, or are looking for something important to repair. Even something simple like hanging a picture can damage a wire. All problems that are easy to avoid with some simple photos before everything is covered up. Also when you go to sell you will have documentation. When a buyer asks how well insulated it is, you can say "exactly this much, in this location."
Andrew

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:21 am

grahams_xwing wrote:On the upside, that first period in your new home is going to feel amazing, liberating and pure freedom, so you have that to look forward to! Tough lack of alone time with your 'significant other' though - that would be seriously tough for me! GOOD LUCK!

Ha, I guess that's something! After spending 3 or 4 months at home (hopefully no more than that) it will probably feel like it did when I moved out for the very first time!

Yes, my wife and I have talked about a lack of... ermm... alone time. The most viable solution is probably to stay in a hotel once or twice a month. >.>

Steve C wrote:Take lots of detailed photos of the house as it's being built. Especially for things like where pipes are in the walls, where wires are being run, what's under the concrete before it's poured etc. All the boring parts that get covered up. It can be very helpful years down the line when you want to do something, but are afraid of breaking something important, or are looking for something important to repair. Even something simple like hanging a picture can damage a wire. All problems that are easy to avoid with some simple photos before everything is covered up. Also when you go to sell you will have documentation. When a buyer asks how well insulated it is, you can say "exactly this much, in this location."

Thanks for this. It was actually mentioned in passing to me by a friend last week so to have another person raise it has basically cemented the idea in my head.

It's the right time too because Plaster installation is due to commence next week so we're gonna try and get in there this weekend (when all the tradies have left) to take a bunch of photos.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:21 pm

The worst fear of science fiction has come to life:The largest solar flare in decades!We have all died and are now in the afterlife.

That joke aside,this will be a fascinating event to follow,to see if 10 years of improvement had made our communications network any more resistant to these star phenomena.

Also,if you live far north,watch the skies at night,and you may catch an aurora in the next few days.
John

Postby John » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:02 pm

It seems I've been . . . conditioned. I was browsing in a store yesterday and they happened to play bits of the soundtrack from Star Wars over the loudspeakers. At first I was amused--that's not something I usually hear while shopping--but then I found myself growing unaccountably tense. It took me a while to figure it out, but I now think I know what was going on: I've played too much Tie Fighter. You see, Tie Fighter plays short bits of the theme from Star Wars whenever new rebel ships show up.* So, consciously, I was looking at price tags, but subconsciously I was worried that a flight of Y-Wings was setting up for a torpedo run on my mothership. The funny thing is that it's been at least two or three years since I last played Tie Fighter. Go figure.

*I speak of course of the original and Collector's CD-ROM versions of the game with the adaptive soundtrack. The Special Edition with the Redbook Audio soundtrack will probably not make you feel like one of Pavlov's dogs.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:55 pm

I wouldn't really worry unless you catch yourself sneering at a tub of margarine and calling it "Rebel scum."
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:33 am

I learned today that you're supposed to refrigerate coconuts, otherwise they have a shelf life equivalent to an apple. Go figure. Fortunately we had some dried coconut scraps in the pantry to use instead.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 am

John wrote:It seems I've been . . . conditioned. I was browsing in a store yesterday and they happened to play bits of the soundtrack from Star Wars over the loudspeakers. At first I was amused--that's not something I usually hear while shopping--but then I found myself growing unaccountably tense. It took me a while to figure it out, but I now think I know what was going on: I've played too much Tie Fighter. You see, Tie Fighter plays short bits of the theme from Star Wars whenever new rebel ships show up.* So, consciously, I was looking at price tags, but subconsciously I was worried that a flight of Y-Wings was setting up for a torpedo run on my mothership. The funny thing is that it's been at least two or three years since I last played Tie Fighter. Go figure.

*I speak of course of the original and Collector's CD-ROM versions of the game with the adaptive soundtrack. The Special Edition with the Redbook Audio soundtrack will probably not make you feel like one of Pavlov's dogs.

I frequently get the phrase 'Ripoblus attack craft' spoken in that imperial officer drawl as an ear worm. Haven't played it for years either.... Must be some CIA embedded mind control pattern in the music or something and thats my trigger code....
Galad

Postby Galad » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:The worst fear of science fiction has come to life:The largest solar flare in decades!We have all died and are now in the afterlife.

That joke aside,this will be a fascinating event to follow,to see if 10 years of improvement had made our communications network any more resistant to these star phenomena.

Also,if you live far north,watch the skies at night,and you may catch an aurora in the next few days.

Hey, what happened with that flare? Apparently nothing much, since I haven't heard of it, but maybe you can give me a few more details?
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am

Galad wrote:Hey, what happened with that flare? Apparently nothing much, since I haven't heard of it, but maybe you can give me a few more details?

I havent heard much about it,unlike the last time when there were some satellite malfunctions.So I guess most of the kinks have been worked out.I tried to glimpse at the lights,but sadly I dont live far north enough for that.I knew that I probably wont see anything,but still it was kind of disappointing.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Galad wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:The worst fear of science fiction has come to life:The largest solar flare in decades!We have all died and are now in the afterlife.

Hey, what happened with that flare? Apparently nothing much, since I haven't heard of it, but maybe you can give me a few more details?

I think the UK got some awsome light shows...

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”