Internet critics are internet cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Internet critics are internet cool

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon May 29, 2017 9:10 am

This is why Brad is the best.Other reviewers post special videos for their anniversaries,but Brad posted 10 special videos for his 10th anniversary.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Check out this hbomberguy long video about why Moffat sucks at tv shows.Even as a fan of Moffat,I have to agree with all of this.His strongest work comes from one offs.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Check out this hbomberguy long video about why Moffat sucks at tv shows.Even as a fan of Moffat,I have to agree with all of this.His strongest work comes from one offs.

Hey, I realized it sucked during Season Three, I haven't even seen Season Four yet.

Moffat has this bad habit of degenerating into fanfic as he goes. Happened on Dr Who and Sherlock. Or maybe it just becomes obvious as you go. I guess nothing really changes so much as he has certain things happen that feel special until they keep happening. (haven't gotten through much of the review yet. just wanted to say this)

EDIT: Ok he and I are noticing the same thing but he's better at identifying and explaining the real problem.

EDIT EDIT: I think the Mycroft stuff in the pilot could have worked as establishing things about Sherlock. Watson has already been dazzled by this weird brilliant guy, now he's seeing the other side, that the eccentric genius has dramatized his own life in a failed attempt to escape his boredom starting with casting his difficult brother as his archnemesis. And this feeds into his earlier conversation with the cop who paints Holmes (rightly) as a thrillseeker and (wrongly) supposes that Holmes will eventually start staging these crimes himself to dodge further boredom. The alternate interpretation of Holmes as essentially the guy who would create his own Moriarty is there from the beginning and even the actual existence of Moriarty doesn't prove that this isn't something Holmes would eventually resort to if not for having an actual supervillain to fight.

Heck, with that mind mansion stuff, I wouldn't be surprised if Holmes didn't eventually split his mental resources to create his own perfect enemy as an alternate personality inside his own head. If I were writing that, I'd have it fall apart when Holmes realizes he needs something external to his own thinking because creating his own challenges makes his mind stale and this might be the start of him becoming a better person.
Last edited by Wide And Nerdy on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloodsquirrel

Postby Bloodsquirrel » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Ill have to watch that when I get home.

Moffat just has a very shallow bag of tricks. He can get a good episode out of a good concept, but by this point in Doctor Who his luck has run out. I made a comment somewhere else- I forget where- that Doctor Who also relies heavily on the strength of its cast to make up for spotty writing, and that the only reason the show has been watchable the last two seasons at all is because Capaldi and Coleman had enough charisma and presence to elevate some of the rougher bits.
Supahewok

Postby Supahewok » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Wide, that's a big chunk of the plot of The Seven Percent Solution, a Holmes novel written after the original author died. It basically takes place right before the Reichenberg Falls, where Watson gets visited by Moriaty who in the book is just a math teacher and former childhood tutor of Holmes, whom Holmes has been stalking and playing at him being Holmes' nemesis. This is due to his cocaine addiction, which was mentioned in the short stories but never really expounded on as it wasn't an uncommon practice of the time.

I won't spoil the rest of the book in case anybody else wants to read it. It's fairly decent as I recall.
Ninety-Three

Postby Ninety-Three » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Wide And Nerdy wrote:
Daemian Lucifer wrote:Check out this hbomberguy long video about why Moffat sucks at tv shows.Even as a fan of Moffat,I have to agree with all of this.His strongest work comes from one offs.

Hey, I realized it sucked during Season Three, I haven't even seen Season Four yet.

Moffat has this bad habit of degenerating into fanfic as he goes. Happened on Dr Who and Sherlock. Or maybe it just becomes obvious as you go.

There is definitely a degeneration to some extent. The perfect example is to compare Silence in the Library with The Eleventh Hour. In Library, the baddie is menacing the Doctor and the Doctor invokes his own reputation in an attempt to intimidate the baddie. The baddie tells him "Alright, you have twenty-four hours", and then tries to kill him before that time is up anyway. I think it's well done, the Doctor's reputation is used as a plot device allowing the story to happen by answering the question "Why doesn't the baddie just murder him at the start?". In Eleventh Hour, the Doctor pulls the exact same "I'm the Doctor, bitch!" move, and at this point in the show Moffat is so infatuated with the Doctor that the baddie flees and never comes back. The Doctor's reputation is used as deus ex machina that resolves the central conflict of the episode, and it's garbage in a typically Moffat way.
Last edited by Ninety-Three on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 pm

The best part of the video is when he shows that clip of Moffat,where we see him say "Backstory of sherlock doesnt matter,it shouldnt be told",and then season 4 comes.Its definitely another case of a creator getting no one to reign them in and therefore providing an inferior work,a la Lucas.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:35 am

I watched that 2 hour rant against Moffat. I don't like original Sherlock, nor the remake, nor murder mysteries, nor procedurals, nor the genre, nor even British shows in general. I did enjoy that rant though. There was something cathartic about how he completely eviscerated it all while going slightly crazy with exasperation as he continued. It reminded me of Shamus' Mass Effect posts. (I've never played that game either.) I guess I just enjoy a well told and well reasoned rant.
bitterpark

Postby bitterpark » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Yo, Explanation Point is an anime analysis video dude, and he's fucking dope.
I just stumbled upon his video on why SAO Abridged is awesome, and then immediately subscribed and watched half of his remaining videos (which is two videos, about WataMote, and they've made me appreciate that series a lot more).

He's got the perfect balance between being jokey and irreverent, and actually pretty deep analysys with some very interesting points.

And he's started like two months ago and has five videos, hurry and get in on the ground floor, before he gets big and starts making nothing but drunk vlogs, or sells out to crunchyroll or something.

Also, it just goes to show that all roads in the anime community lead to SAO.
4th Dimension

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:48 am

Just to pipe in and say that he does sound interesting based on his SAO and another video so I'm subbed to him now.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:12 am

Half in the bag review for last knight is AMAZING.I always wanted someone to actually do such a review,and sure enough,the best reviewers actually do it.No fake outs,no "twas just a jest,heres the genuine thing",but actual factual 2 minute review followed by blank screen.I love it!

Now I have the urge to rewatch the hypnotoad special.Yes,I did watch that one.From start to finish.No skipping or increasing speed.I have no life,yes.
Wide And Nerdy

Postby Wide And Nerdy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:29 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Half in the bag review for last knight is AMAZING.I always wanted someone to actually do such a review,and sure enough,the best reviewers actually do it.No fake outs,no "twas just a jest,heres the genuine thing",but actual factual 2 minute review followed by blank screen.I love it!

Now I have the urge to rewatch the hypnotoad special.Yes,I did watch that one.From start to finish.No skipping or increasing speed.I have no life,yes.

They did it twice! I've never seen that before. It was that gag and then a second video as if to say "no really here's the review" but it was the same gag again.

They did it at least a third time. Given that they have about six or seven show formats, I was wondering if they'd keep doing it but no.
Last edited by Wide And Nerdy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:26 pm

Some of you know of this guy already,but I still think he needs more promotion:

Joseph Anderson does looooong videos about various games,and they are pretty good.Check out his videos,and youll probably find some that talk about games you are interested in.And then youll go and watch all of his videos.

But more importantly,because his videos are so long,theres lot of downtime between them.And he has a longer than usual(yes,longer for him)project planned about the whole witcher series.So please spread his videos everywhere so he can start that project without fear of losing audience and patrons.Or,if you have thousands of dollars lying around collecting dust,give a few hundred to him.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 am

I know a bunch of you like the ponies,so you should check out Dena,or Cyborcat if you wish.She does an episode by episode rundown of these,so maybe check out and see what youve missed.Or a different opinion of the episodes than yours.Or maybe a same opinion.

But,if you dont care for the ponies,how about some red dwarf?

Dont care about that one either?Well,theres always silent hill!Silent hill!

Maybe a sprinkle of hellraiser on top of all of that?

None of those?Tough crowd.Well,check her out anyway,she does a bunch of stuff,so you may find something you are interested in after all.
Steve C

Postby Steve C » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:36 am

None of those for me. You did put me onto Joseph Anderson before. I really like his stuff. So it's all good.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:18 am

Joseph Anderson is scheduled to appear in the next cooptional podcast.Im so excited,I might even catch this one live.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 am

Gaming belongs to normans.

Even without the silly voice,this comment is pure gold.
grahams_xwing

Postby grahams_xwing » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 pm

as a previous viewer of Cinema Sins this was an eyeopening vid which explained why their content always left me somewhat confused as to the intended point....
https://youtu.be/ELEAsGoP-5I

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”