Star trek

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
John

Re: Star trek

Postby John » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Daemian Lucifer wrote:Also,what the hell happened to klingons?In the beginning worf was all "Female klingons can be as vicious as men",and we saw them serving alongside the male klingons on a warship.Then gowron came to power,and suddenly "No female can serve at the council".And in this episode,worf is like "Females are all weak and stupid and have cooties,blah!".

Welcome to the wonderful, inconsistent world of Star Trek! Don't worry too much about the Klingons. The DS9 episode "Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" (Season 5, Episode 3) shows what Klingons think is a romantic night out. I don't know about stupid, but if Klingon females were weak then the species would have been killed off by its own mating rituals.
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:28 am

So BBC America has Star Trek Voyager reruns now, and I watched a few. In particular an episode called Living Witness. It's about a backup of the Doctor's program being reactivated 700 years after the events of Voyager, as part of a museum of misconstrued history, painting Voyager as thugs and mercenaries happily ready to commit genocide. So, y'know, Chuck's Evil Janeway.

But there was a moment in the episode that just spoke to me. Like my experiences had been voiced. There's a moment in the episode where the Doctor and the Museum director are working together to prove the Doctor's account correct. The Doctor wistfully wonders if the crew ever got home, and the director says he does too. The Doctor reacts with surprise, and the director explains that he heard the stories of Voyager when he was a child, too young to understand the believed history that Voyager had been the ones to nearly destroy them. The name Voyager, and the idea of this ship thrown across the galaxy, struggling to get home, always fascinated him and drew him into history.

And in the same way, Voyager drew me into sci-fi. I was young when Voyager was airing, too young to be aware of any of the flaws with the show that reviewers like Chuck would point out. To me, Voyager was the "grown up" show that I could watch. It's the reason I was pulled to sci-fi and fantasy as a child. Probably the reason I like sci-fi and fantasy even now. Like he was excited by the idea of Voyager without realizing they were villains (at the time), I was excited by Voyager without realizing the show was flawed.

Funny how a show can reach across nearly a decade and seem like it's saying something directly about me.
Ringwraith

Postby Ringwraith » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:47 am

I do love that episode, especially as it's oddly poignant in a silly episode where everyone gets to act like comedy villain versions of themselves.
One of Voyager's biggest problems is that it's massively inconsistent; there's still some really good episodes there (like pretty much anything focusing on the Doctor) but sometimes characters completely change depending on the episode, or they do something massively stupid, repeatedly (hello Native American ancestry storylines).
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:22 pm

You know,its weird how people say that "deep space nine is straying too far from the standards of federation",yet in tng the flagship of the federation,the one with the most diplomatic captain of them all,ends simply nuking some aliens from orbit,most likely killing the last remnants of that species,without even considering an alternative."Oh yea mister twain,we arent the bloodthirsty spaniards you compare us to,we are peacful explorers.Now,get back to your time so we can nuke this place into oblivion."

Data musing about his death was fun though.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Quality of life.Ugh....this episode...Im really sad that they made a data centric episode about artificial life that is just so bad.First,they say that because this machine shows self preservation,it must be alive.Which is stupid.My computer is designed so that it will deliberately turn itself off before frying its components.Is it therefore alive?

Then they go on to say how viruses are alive,which they are not.

And then,on top of all of that,data decides to sacrifice two sapient beings in order to preserve three bacteria.

But the worst of all is the end,when he gets congratulated for his decision.The fuck?!This is the worst kind of moralizing that I loathe in trek.The "we are so high and mighty that we invented levitation just so we wouldnt trample the poor grass".
SpammyV

Postby SpammyV » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 am

I'm watching "Muse," a Voyager episode. It's another meta-episode about Voyager and storytelling and features writers talking about Voyager. B'lenna is trapped on a primitive planet where a playwright finds her and starts using Voyager as the basis for his plays. Features an argument about whether Vulcans are believable or not where the playwright goes off trying to explain how Vulcans being logical and unfeeling is supposed to show the depth of their emotion. A scene where actor-Janeway and actor-Chakotay start kissing that leads right into a conversation between real-Janeway and real-Chakotay that is all business. Also amusingly featuring B'lenna going that romance is the last thing on anyone's mind on Voyager.
Daemian Lucifer

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:29 pm

The biggest sorrow of great star trek episodes is that they show just how much potential was wasted in bad ones.Face of the enemy shows just how wasted Marina Sirtis was playing the useless counselor tits troi,when she couldve been garak of the tng era.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”