Anime might be cool

Necromance old blog posts, talk about Shamus' books or videos, or discuss allied projects like Errant Signal
Forum rules
This forum is not for swiping blog threads. Avoid talking about blog posts less than a month old.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby SpammyV » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Man. Turn A Gundam is really depressing.

One thing about the Universal Century is that the wars between the Federation and Zeon are always more about the nations than the people. Your point of view is centered around the people fighting at the forefront and the political and military leaders of each side. And the causes of the wars themselves usually have little to do with the civilians themselves. Zeon talks the talk about Spacenoid independence, but the worst we see from the Federation government is mismanagement and neglect, there aren't Feddie troops patrolling the streets of each colony and pulling out people to beat them in alleys because they were accused of saying a Sieg Zeon.

But we do see how the conflict between the Terrans and the Moon Race is reaching the common people. The military of the Moon Race sees all Terrans as barbarians, basically only a step above animals. The people of Earth just see the Moon Race as alien invaders who destroy their cities and force them off of the land they've lived on for generations. The negotiations were nearly killed at the start by the Moon Race arriving unannounced and dropping one of their WaDoms into a city, which it all but destroyed. Then the negotiations were nearly killed when one of the village elders on the Terran side up and shot the Moon Race's ambassador, claiming revenge for the wife and daughter he lost in that first battle.

Neither side is willing to give in, and neither side can trust the other. Loran reactivating the White Doll has let the genie out of the bottle that there are Mobile Suits on Earth that can be excavated and reactivated, so the Moon Race can no longer trust that they can just technologically overwhelm the Terrans, even though the White Doll hasn't really been in a straight fight yet(and I'm like 12 episodes in, this is a slow-burning show). And in the meantime, fights are about to break out almost daily between Terrans screaming hate towards Moon Race encampments and the Moon Race soldiers trying to fence off the land they claim. Not to mention that there's a not-insignificant party of Terrans and possibly Moon Race soldiers willing to kill the Moon Race's Queen Diana to make sure there is no peace. The Terrans won't give up their land, and the Moon Race won't drop their claims or believe they should offer anything in return.

It feels as though no matter what the leaders try to do, thanks to that first battle things have been set to inevitably deteriorate into a bloody, pointless war.
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Retsam wrote:Also, the Evangelion comparison works even better once you realize that (Attack on Titan spoilers) Titans are basically just fleshy mechas


And they seem to be controlled by some alien beast.

Retsam wrote:a good word to describe a stereotypical shonen protagonist is "tenacious": being someone who "never gives up" is a major character trait of a shonen stereotypical protagonist


So goku?
User avatar
The Rocketeer

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby The Rocketeer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:45 pm

So I was scrolling back through this thread, and bothered to google Fixx Bloodman, which I hadn't before. I gotta ask: is this character supposed to be a parallel with Degwin Zabi from MSG? They look almost just alike, but even if you reason that any two bald fat guys in a generalissimo uniform with a cane will probably look a lot alike in certain art styles, that drawing of him sitting in a chair is almost a perfect recreation of the peculiar off-center posture with which Degwin sat on his throne.
User avatar
Narratorway
Contact:

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Narratorway » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Retsam wrote:If your idea of anime is awful tropes and character animations, and that anything that doesn't have those must be trying to not be anime, maybe stop watching the shitty animes.


It's cool bro. Like I said, you are perfectly entitled to your wrong opinions.

UPDATE: I didn't see the follow up by Steve that's a bit less combative, so I suppose I might as well elaborate.

Steve C wrote:Narratorway has a point. If you are the kind of person that finds that really awful and inexcusable (like me and movie music) I can see how it can wreck a show. My point was that, yes, manga iconography is all over the place in anime. However anime doesn't stop being anime because it does not use manga iconography. Cutting the first 2 seconds out of that clip doesn't make it more western.


This kinda speaks to a fundamental misunderstanding of what I'm talking about. First, there seems to be this undercurrent implying that I don't like what I'd always been told were facefaults or something along those lines. They're a take it or leave it thing for me, but what they also are is an identifier. Y'know...a trope. Excluding them alone does not automatically make something 'not an anime', but I wasn't claiming that. I was just pointing out that there are tropes that are exclusive to anime and LWA exhibits a notable lack of said tropes...particularly in terms of how it's produced/animated.

Second, the examples of animation provided make it very clear that we're talking past each other when we say the words 'character animation'. Your examples seem to imply that you think Character Animation means a character being animated well. That's...not correct. Character Animation is a style, where the focus of the animation is on communicating who that character is and what they are about through the animation. Anime is famously known for not having that kind of focus in their productions while Western animation is. And this has nothing to do with whether its good animation. Character Animation is not a description of quality, but a definition of purpose.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby SpammyV » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:39 am

The Rocketeer wrote:So I was scrolling back through this thread, and bothered to google Fixx Bloodman, which I hadn't before. I gotta ask: is this character supposed to be a parallel with Degwin Zabi from MSG? They look almost just alike, but even if you reason that any two bald fat guys in a generalissimo uniform with a cane will probably look a lot alike in certain art styles, that drawing of him sitting in a chair is almost a perfect recreation of the peculiar off-center posture with which Degwin sat on his throne.


I really wouldn't describe Fixx FIXX BLOODMAN as being a parallel to Degwin Zabi. Both FIXX BLOODMAN of the New Earth Federation and Zidel Russo of the Space Revolutionary Army are both closer to Ghiren Zabi in terms of being analogues, in that they are both leaders who should see the writing on the wall and know that continuing the war is a bad move for their people, but won't let go of their hate or ambition in order to do so.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I have been animeing, instead of doing things I should be doing...

Anyway, watched Fate: Stay/Night original, because I wanted to see what's the fuss was about and you should start with the first one right. On second thought, it seems that it's not the case.
It had some cool scenes characters and fights despite all of that, but most of it was marred by the MC being, as a fellow member of Midchilda Discord said, a village idiot. God does he embody the annoying trope of DUMB clueless protagonist. Practically any choice that is not immediately moral (do I kill this person or not now that they are defenseless) is fucking terrible. Then again much fun was had screen capping his idiocy and the show.

On a more positive note, I have also finished WORKING. It has sat paused for a while because I frankly got tired of it. It's fun but it wasn't going anywhere. I know it's SoL, but it kept taunting us with possible developments for past two seasons and not delivering. And then they crammed all that into last season, and mostly in later episodes to the point that the LAST episode had to be made as a special, just to resolve the main thread of Inami.

On a MUCH more positive note, I have started watching/caught up to currently airing anime called Re:Creators. It's quite interesting one. The premise is what if few characters from Anime, games and other entertainment could reach our world (Japan really) and were told this is the world where their creator lives and their hardships were all for the entertainment of the "gods". Well some don't take it well and some decide to stop the first. And since the characters were from a variety of media (so far we have had a Magical Mecha pilot without her Mech, Sage/Mage, Shonen manga antagonist, Hard Boiled cynical detective from techno future, Magical Girl, Knight Lady (from a setting so over the top bloody it might be Warhammer), Mecha pilot WITH his skyscraper sized MECH, a witch/demon thing in a shape of a girl, and a fanfiction AU character that is a meme who sets it all off) duking it out from time to time. But it's not all fight scenes, (although they are fun especially since characters from such opposing works get to duke it out), but most of the time is spent on character interactions, discussing their goals and talking about creation process and such. So pretty interesting thing if you ask me, definitely worth checking out. Also another bonus, NO FANSERVICE that I have been able to notice.
Also, the BEST recap episode ever :)
User avatar
Retsam

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Retsam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:55 am

4th Dimension wrote:Anyway, watched Fate: Stay/Night original, because I wanted to see what's the fuss was about and you should start with the first one right. On second thought, it seems that it's not the case.
It had some cool scenes characters and fights despite all of that, but most of it was marred by the MC being, as a fellow member of Midchilda Discord said, a village idiot. God does he embody the annoying trope of DUMB clueless protagonist. Practically any choice that is not immediately moral (do I kill this person or not now that they are defenseless) is fucking terrible. Then again much fun was had screen capping his idiocy and the show.


Are you trying to tell me this isn't a deep philosophical insight?

Image

But yeah, I haven't seen it, but I've gathered that the original Fate/Stay Night anime isn't considered that good, and the series overall is an absolute mess in terms of watch order and recommendations. There's just no consensus about how to properly watch it.

You probably already know this, but the original VN had three routes, Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. And as far as adaptions go, the "Studio DEEN" version is sort of an adaptation of the Fate route, but pulls in stuff from all three routes, (and it just isn't that good, apparently). Whereas a different studio, Ufotable, recently adapted the Unlimited Blade Works route, which I hear is a really good adaptation, they're working on a trilogy of movies adapting the third route. (The first of which should come out in October)

If you want to go onto Unlimited Blade Works, it's the same main character so I assume he's still an idiot, but I've heard it's a ton better than the original F/SN anime, overall. Particularly the animation of the action scenes is highly praised, from what I've seen.

---

The other options is the prequel, Fate/Zero, (written by Gen Urobuchi the writer for Psycho-Pass and Madoka), which is the only bit of the Fate series that I've actually seen. My feelings on it are a bit conflicted: there's a lot of Fate/Zero that I really like, and a number of things about it that bugged me.

The protagonist is a ton more interesting: unlike the apparently somewhat generic and idiotic teenage protagonist of F/SN, Kiritsugu is a highly competent middle-aged protagonist. He makes a very interesting pair with Saber (the same Saber for F/SN, though the other classes are different), due to their very strongly clashing philosophies (which is a theme of the show, in general): with his extreme utilitarian pragmatism contrasting with Saber's idealism. His backstory episodes (18 and 19) are easily my single favorite bit of the whole show. (They could probably be watched first or even standalone if someone were so inclined)

And overall the show is solid: the Fate/Stay Night "battle royale with mythological figures" premise is really cool, it's the same company as Unlimited Blade Works, so the production values are all high (some particularly good fight scenes), and it's got some good secondary characters and some interesting philosophical discussion.

As for what bugged me, the ending is a big part: for one, I really don't care for the eventual antagonist. Maybe there's some nuance that I just didn't get, but the antagonists motivations really just didn't make any sense to me. And the ending as a whole apparently only makes sense if you've read the entire original story Visual Novel. It works, somewhat, on a character or emotional level for the main character, but as far as understanding what the heck is going on, if you haven't dozens of hours playing a hard to find Visual Novel, you're out of luck, I guess.

Also, a minor complaint, but worth mentioning: the first episode kinda sucks. It's a double-length episode where they introduce basically the entire cast of characters and their motivations: it's probably the biggest infodump of an anime episode that I've ever seen.

But, overall, I'd still recommend Fate/Zero, despite the parts that bothered me. It's not a flawless show, by any means, but I definitely don't regret watching it.

---

And, yeah, I've had Re:Creators in my periphery, something I may get around to checking out eventually. Keep us posted.
User avatar
Ringwraith

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Ringwraith » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

Unlimited Blade Works is a bit different as it's more from Rin's perspective instead, as such, so there's more dealing with the fact he's an idiot rather than being stuck with the idiot all the time.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 am

Retsam wrote:Are you trying to tell me this isn't a deep philosophical insight?

Image

Well to be fair to the village idiot, I have recently heard, what he actually said was a reference to a Japanese expression "he wouldn't die if he was killed" meaning someone is stubborn tenacious. Sooo I'm actually willing to believe it makes a bit more sense in Japanese and blame translation, given what I have learned of it while trying to translate Gears of Destiny.

Retsam wrote:But yeah, I haven't seen it, but I've gathered that the original Fate/Stay Night anime isn't considered that good, and the series overall is an absolute mess in terms of watch order and recommendations. There's just no consensus about how to properly watch it.

You probably already know this, but the original VN had three routes, Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. And as far as adaptions go, the "Studio DEEN" version is sort of an adaptation of the Fate route, but pulls in stuff from all three routes, (and it just isn't that good, apparently). Whereas a different studio, Ufotable, recently adapted the Unlimited Blade Works route, which I hear is a really good adaptation, they're working on a trilogy of movies adapting the third route. (The first of which should come out in October)

If you want to go onto Unlimited Blade Works, it's the same main character so I assume he's still an idiot, but I've heard it's a ton better than the original F/SN anime, overall. Particularly the animation of the action scenes is highly praised, from what I've seen.

Yeah, I know about the routes, that is to say those are their names. Also given some comments by a fellow Midchildian, the caster subarc was basically ripped from one of those me thinks.

Ringwraith wrote:Unlimited Blade Works is a bit different as it's more from Rin's perspective instead, as such, so there's more dealing with the fact he's an idiot rather than being stuck with the idiot all the time.

Well I like Rin and I like Archer so I might check it out sometime. Even though Archer's ability is f-ing silly, like something a 10 year old kid might think of, I can summon a shitton of SWORDS coz SWORDS are cool, he stole the show from the moment he landed in that room in and despite landing in a random location looking like he owned the place and the broken thing he was sitting on was his THRONE.

Retsam wrote:The other options is the prequel, Fate/Zero, (written by Gen Urobuchi....
NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. His kind of jam is not my kind of jam. I only watched Madoka because I KNEW the synopsis and was there to see how Kubey baits gives the girls their powers which then doom them.

Retsam wrote:And overall the show is solid: the Fate/Stay Night "battle royale with mythological figures" premise is really cool, it's the same company as Unlimited Blade Works, so the production values are all high (some particularly good fight scenes), and it's got some good secondary characters and some interesting philosophical discussion.

Yeah, it's a cool idea. It allows you to pit all sorts of heroes and villains (probably) from history and mythology. Although I do have some issues with stakes, and the fact that civilians keep getting squashed in their stupid war.

Retsam wrote:As for what bugged me, the ending is a big part: for one, I really don't care for the eventual antagonist. Maybe there's some nuance that I just didn't get, but the antagonists motivations really just didn't make any sense to me. And the ending as a whole apparently only makes sense if you've read the entire original story Visual Novel. It works, somewhat, on a character or emotional level for the main character, but as far as understanding what the heck is going on, if you haven't dozens of hours playing a hard to find Visual Novel, you're out of luck, I guess.

The eventual antagonist is I think the same guy that was the final antagonist in Fate/Stay Night. The stupid OP HAX Gillgamesh with what's his face.

Retsam wrote:And, yeah, I've had Re:Creators in my periphery, something I may get around to checking out eventually. Keep us posted.

Well 15 episodes of it are out soooo....
I like it so far. In a way it's premise is similar to Fate, in that it's a vehicle for characters from different Japanese popular media to duke it out. Except that it's actually more interested in character interaction than fighting. It's interested in exploring how would different types of characters react. For example loads of nominal Heroes, end up on the bad side because the HAX meme "Military Uniform Princess" basically tells them that the Gods (denizens of our world and their Creators (writers and artists)) are the ones to blame for the woes of their worlds and that all the woes are simply there for the entertainment of the Gods, and that they might be able to preasure them to fix this shit. Of course that is not entirely correct and she has her own agenda only tangentially connected to this, but it does give reason for the mixing of Heroes and villains. And the characters do change over time because they are now in a new situation.
Also this is one of rare cases where the goverment is not the obstructionist strawman that is there to persecute everyone and in general cause problems. In fact they might be taking things a bit too much in stride that it might seem like it's glorifying a bit the GLORIOUS NIPON GOVERNMENT (that never did anything wrong, nope no siree). Then again without the "Good" Creations, they and the world would be screwed.
Although the show is starting to trip some of my alarms. For one the firepower/power disparity between the good guys and the "bad" guys is HEAVILY slanted in "bad" guys advantage so far. On one hand it is good to have something for the good guys to beat, but on another, if it persists and the good guys start being kicked and beaten constantly only to pull out at the last moment, the eventual victory will feel hollow if it's just due to someone getting some OP power from basically nowhere right at the end. That is not hero winning. That is writer giftwrapping the victory for the hero being.
Also I have heard the accusations of it being slow. Which I have not experienced since I bingewatched the 15 episodes, but I kinda can see where they are coming from if the person arriving to it was expecting for there to be constant fights, while as I said the show is more interested in talking about how the creative process works, how different characters from different genres with radically different personalities and world views would interact.
Another thing that is starting to gnaw on me, is that they are yet to properly explain, justify to me the HAX powers of the "Military Uniform Princess". Some of it I can grok she is basically a fanfiction that reached status of a small meeme on pixiv, that doesn't have a Creator any longer and as such has no story and so any work that uses her gives her new powers, but they haven't yet explained why her and how did she become aware and able to do what she does, out of hundreds and thousands of similar fanfic characters.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 am

Okay, more on 4th Dimension actually watching currently running seasons segment.

I don't really know why I decided to watch this, but I think I was in the mood for something silly and the screencaps by fellow Midchildians grabbed my attention, so I watched The Aho Girl (Translate the FUCKING title you weeebs, it should be The Idiot Girl).
I think the three episodes I have seen have been the three stupidest episodes I have seen. The jokes haven't really been smart but oh god they have worked. The show as the title suggests follows the "adventures" of as the title suggest the Idiot Girl. Somebody so silly that she manages to get 0s on multiple choice quizzes and the people around her as they suffer her vortex of insanity. And that pretty much tells you you should toss reason out of the window and simply enjoy the show.
There is some a bit ecchi moments (panties because of course Japan can't work without that) but those are all Aho related and frankly even if she stripped completely it's treated like watching an animal strip by basically everyone.
So despite some issues like that (and knowing Japan and their attitudes towards mental issues this might also make the show squicky, buut I don't think that was the intention given that the Idiot in question possesses reality wrapping idiocy) it's quite a fun show. Also the episodes are on the short side, so if you don't like them they will be over quickly.

The second show I watched is "Knights and Magic", which should really be called "Mecha Otaku Programmer gets reincarnated into a girly looking Marty Stu in a world with magical Mecha", which probably tells you mostly what it is about. The positive part that is not that well bourne by the Anime is the lore first attempt to deal with a Fantasy Medieval/Renessanse society having access to mecha (to fight gigantic monsters of course). Also the magic, which allowed them to make mecha, are essentially programs which of course means that since he was a "programmer" he is better at magic than everyone. Because it's not like this world has had magic for centuries and apparently they simply left it there.
His probably biggest moment so far of Marty Stue-ness came when he got in the cockpit of a Mech for like the first time, and because he could not reach the controls (he is short and girly looking) he decided to remove the high level part of the program used to run the mech and from what I can tell ran it using kernel level commands. Like he was directly ordering each mech muscle individually. And not only was he able to move and fight, but move and fight with CONSIDERABLY more agility than anybody else was able to do with the normal controls.
It's still fun, mostly because unlike most MC protagonists he is not stupid idiot who bumbles into victory. And the action is nice. But if you have low levels of tolerance for MC OPness, maybe avoid this? Also I have to disengage some of my lore checking parts of my brain because building the amount of metal and standardized mecha parts in that setting was stretching my suspension of disbelief.
Another part that makes the MC interesting is how totally and completely he is focused on mecha and basically nothing much else. It's ridiculous.
Steve C

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Steve C » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:25 am

4th Dimension wrote:So despite some issues like that (and knowing Japan and their attitudes towards mental issues this might also make the show squicky, buut I don't think that was the intention given that the Idiot in question possesses reality wrapping idiocy)

I'm unfamiliar with this aspect of Japan/anime. Care to go into more detail?
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Well, it's not Anime, but more a Japanese attitude. Ableit this comes form secondary sources, but there are big issues to the Japanese society. One of them is the part where they don't really deal well with those that are different. You are supposed to fit into the ideal student and then ideal worker. Those that don't tend to fall through the cracks. And someone with limited mental capability or mental issues would probably fall under that.
But as I say this is from secondary sources I overheard.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm

We are back to 4th Dimension watches old seasons of currently airing stuff he never watched before.

I always like good over the top action. So since the screen caps of new season of Symphogears seemed to contain that, I decided to check it out. Checking the reviews I saw that the TOS was kinda iffy with lower production values and more emphasis on angsting and such, which is never a draw for me but that in the second season they hit their stride. So I decided to skip TOS and go straight to the Symphogears G.

First thing first, I don't think it's really recommended to do what I did since the G pretty much deals with the consequences of TOS and doesn't waste any time bringing a newcomer up to speed. But eh, I was here for the over the top action accompanied with good music and the show delivered on that. Well it would have fucked up greatly it if hadn't considering the premise is what if J-pop singers + artifacts = SUPERPOWERS, and pretty much every battle someone is singing a song to accompany it, often the sides exchanging who is singing as the tide of fight sweeps either way. So primary mission accomplished. I was entrtained by pretty sounds accompanied with vibrant explosions.
On the characters side it's not that bad either. The fact that I haven't watched TOS kinda screws me on the protagonists since I did not know their ticks, although I did like that the MC Hibiki, given her shonen "This is the fist that will bunch the heavens" tendencies did not undergo a significant boring "Oh I don't know why I fight" angst fest but powered through on determination.
The antagonists aren't half bad. They have good intentions but are going about it the wrong way out of desperation. So they are not the boring old omnicidal maniacs which is ALWAYS the plus in my books, I fucking hate those. Well almost all of them are that. Doctor is bloody insane so he is the exception. Also while I like them, the actions of the antagonists and how they go about achieving their goal I don't think they would hold under scrutiny. Another great thing is that they aren't suddenly and inexplicably better than the protagonists, so you have to suffer episodes on end as villains succeed at everything with conteptive ease while the protagonists angst uselessly. Instead they are pretty well matched from the start with protagonists even having a bit of an edge on some things. Which makes things more interesting to me
So all in all pretty good and entertaining season with great action.

Then I switched to the Symphogears GX and right out of the gate they seem to have tossed quite a bit of the things I liked about G. For one the antagonist is a clear omnicidal phycho loli with the goal of destroying the world, because bad stuff happened to her family so entire world has got to go and such, to which I call BULLSHIT. She is served by a cadre of dolls whose personalities range from professional, evil, psychotic and sadistic and are suddenly completely invunderable to anything the protagonist can throw at them and the common enemy cannon fodder has been upgraded (not visually no) but now can dissolve the protagonist weapons with ease. So more "fun" there.
So we are treated to about 4-5 episodes of the protagonist getting their shit kicked in constantly until they receive an upgrade from Deus Ex Machina loli (who runs around in a cloak and a THONG, because Japan). And what is the hot blooded Hibiki, who didn't have too much problem hitting the antagonist of the previous season who tried their damenst to limit collateral damage? Oh she is pointlessly angsting about how she doesn't know why she is fighting and how she can't protect anyone by punching things. I know several characters that would deserve a right good punching Hibiki! And when she "clears" that she still doesn't fight. Why you ask? Oh it's simple, you see she FORGOT the aria that unlocks her power. Seriously you FORGOT! Now if they have said that she maybe lost her voice because her unresolved mental issues that would have been something approaching understandable, but FORGOT! Fuck that.
Fortunately they finally get the deus ex loli upgrade to their Gears about episode 6 and from then on it's back on track to Action-surfing on your own missile at the enemy-ville.
Image
So my final take on it is that I liked the second part, with some big exceptions.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby SpammyV » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 am

Image

Still working my way through Turn A Gundam. I finally noticed that in the torrent of images at the start they've got clips at least from Mobile Suit Gundam and Char's Counter attack flying by the screen, which is odd since Turn A takes place in the Correct Century and not the Universal Century. There's also a weird superficial resemblance between the Kapools that the militia is digging up and the Capule seen in ZZ Gundam. But I don't want to hear anything about a Borjarnon being a Zaku II, they look NOTHING alike. When YOU discover a mechanical doll in a Mountain Cycle then YOU can name it whatever you want but in the mean time we're talking about Borjarnorns. And don't even think about calling the Gavane Gooney Custom a Zaku I.

But I mean, it'd still be strange that there's intact Zeon suits buried underground on Earth when we've heard nothing about Colonies, or the Federation, and nobody's done a Sieg Zeon. Of course you might say that the weird part is that it's Zeon suits buried on Earth, but if this is supposed to take place with the Universal Century, the Federation's never put much effort into getting Zeon Remnants off of Earth. They didn't do it to stop the GP02 getting to space in Stardust Memory. And they were still around afterwards in ZZ. Then there's enough Zeon Remants on earth still in Unicorn that they can up and attack the Federation capital.

The Federation is kind of bad at this is what I'm saying.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am

Sooo, they went, all these guys that hate our guts and think they are the next big step and we should be condigned to dustbin of history and are here on Earth which should be our bastion of power, what we should do with them?
Nah, they will sort themselves out. I mean it's not that they have a magical inexhaustible supply of mecha as plot demands.

As to what happened to the Gundam might be cool thread, I guess I happened?
User avatar
John

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby John » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:02 am

Eh, I was always under the impression that Turn A was either supposed to be the distant future of the original Gundam universe or else a possible distant future. That's what everyone was saying back when it was the new just-a-little-too-odd-to-be-called-hotness.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:37 am

Okay, so I wend back and watched the TOS of Symphogears.
As I have mentioned before I did watch G (2nd season) first. Mostly because the reviews for TOS on MAL were kinda bad on it, citing low production values and unnecessary grim darkness at times.
Now that I have seen TOS, I have to say the reviews weren't really kind to it. The production values are lower but not THAT low as I expected.
Well it's not that pointlessly grim either, then again I knew who is alive in G and in general the actors of this soo the pointless drama did not work on me.
Because I can easily see the point with the episode long breakup of the MC and her waifu, which didn't really go anywhere. Or the stupid setup from the Ep1 that tries to frame the story as SUPER SERIAS MC DIES AND SHIT only for the finale to show it's all a lie.
Basically IMO the TOS would be quite a bit better without the pointless and sometimes out of place angst.
The Fine worked so so as the antagonist. She certainly worked better than the stupid omnicidal loli alchemist from GX. Although dropping the world domination and sadist (kinda strongly implied) parts of Fine's character would have been for the better.
So I did like TOS. If I had to order the (finished) seasons by how much I liked them I'd go G, TOS, GX
I have also started watching the new season currently airing, the AXZ, and so far it has excelled chance to worm itself between G and TOS.

Started watching Fate: Apocrypha. Quite fun one. MUCH more than F/SN, although I expect DRAMA will pick up soon.
Ninety-Three

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Ninety-Three » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm

Previously:
Ninety-Three wrote:I watched twelve episodes of K-On! and... eh? It's alright. The main and perhaps only attraction is anime girls doing cute things and making silly faces. It lights up the same parts of my brain as a Youtube search for "adorable kitten". The problem is that sometimes the characters are neither doing cute things nor making silly faces. It's like a Youtube kitten video where half the runtime is filler that doesn't even have a cat on screen. If K-On! were on its game all the time I'd love it, but as is I think I'll stick to kitten videos for satisfying the "cute things" part of my brain.


Little Witch Academia is everything I wanted out of K-On! Unlike K-On! it's not a show about nothing, but the episode plots are secondary to cute things and silly faces. It has a much higher density of those things and I never found myself thinking "Ugh, when can we get back to the cute stuff?"

Since I feel like I should say something more than "I like it, it's cute!", I want to compliment the show's character design. Look at this:
Image
That's an establishing shot, none of those are even speaking characters, yet they all have distinct hairstyles and faces. Someone is putting a lot of effort into areas that don't usually get effort.



In other news:
Is there a word for the way a show fucks up its ending that's unique to anime? When I was watching Death Parade I remember thinking "I like this! I hope the ending doesn't get all anime" (the ending was satisfactory, which is all I wanted). Anyway, I was enjoying Kado: The Right Answer as a weird Twilight Zoney thing right up until the last three episodes completely changed direction and got anime.

A character is abruptly revealed to be secretly evil and planning to teleport all humanity to the higher dimension which will probably kill them, and then he has a lasersword fight with one of the main cast, who is revealed to also secretly be a higher-dimensional being hanging out here who was incarnated as one of the main characters by pure chance. In the end he decides he can't teleport Shindo to the higher dimension because it won't work (but for unexplained reasons, the rest of humanity still might) therefore he's going to murder Shindo because anime villain motivations. But then the good guys are revealed to have pulled some outright time travel and defeat the prettyboy villain with their future baby who's a human-alien hybrid that has even more magic powers than the aliens. And then the epilogue shows us that Earth has lost all contact with the higher dimension and it ends with Japan essentially declaring war on them.

It's hard to describe exactly what I mean by "got anime", but, well, read the spoiler. There's a specific mix of abrupt shift, batshit insane, and just plain stupid that feels like it's unique to anime.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:52 am

Ninety-Three wrote:In other news:
Is there a word for the way a show fucks up its ending that's unique to anime? When I was watching Death Parade I remember thinking "I like this! I hope the ending doesn't get all anime" (the ending was satisfactory, which is all I wanted). Anyway, I was enjoying Kado: The Right Answer as a weird Twilight Zoney thing right up until the last three episodes completely changed direction and got anime.

A character is abruptly revealed to be secretly evil and planning to teleport all humanity to the higher dimension which will probably kill them, and then he has a lasersword fight with one of the main cast, who is revealed to also secretly be a higher-dimensional being hanging out here who was incarnated as one of the main characters by pure chance. In the end he decides he can't teleport Shindo to the higher dimension because it won't work (but for unexplained reasons, the rest of humanity still might) therefore he's going to murder Shindo because anime villain motivations. But then the good guys are revealed to have pulled some outright time travel and defeat the prettyboy villain with their future baby who's a human-alien hybrid that has even more magic powers than the aliens. And then the epilogue shows us that Earth has lost all contact with the higher dimension and it ends with Japan essentially declaring war on them.

It's hard to describe exactly what I mean by "got anime", but, well, read the spoiler. There's a specific mix of abrupt shift, batshit insane, and just plain stupid that feels like it's unique to anime.

And this is why I don't like going into any finished anime blind or without reading some reviews. Because a terrible ending or a sudden and inexplicable shift to DRAMA can ruin what came before.

Anyway in the currently airing anime news (no I did not have better things to do *stares at the mountain of unfinished work* I am a failure as a human and adult) I decided to pick up watching Princess Principal. Since I don't watch promos I thought given the name it would be some high school shenanigans SoL stuff that is not on the top of my list. But I was pleasantly surprised. It's a 80s Cold Waresque spy story that is set in turn of the century steam punk London that is split in two between the Commonwealth (West) and Kingdom (East) of Albion who are in a state of Cold War. Only because this is Anime the spy ring we follow are high school girls because they are hiding in a Eastern rich school. They do note that they are mostly rookies and the entire reason they were sent in in the first place was an unrelated mission to replace/subvert the enemy Princess, so this is not a case of all the working agents being inexplicably 16 year old girls.

Anyway it works pretty well as a mixture of more NOLF type of "spy" stuff where they need to steal something and more regular spy stuff where everyone is lying to everyone else. So that was a suprise. The action when it happens is well done and the artstyle of the super steampunk London is interesting.
One thing that the show does suffer from is it's in media res opening that despite the initial narration doesn't cover well the basics of the geopolitical situation and who our spies are working for. Which is made even tougher to figure out since even though they are as it turns out Commonwealth (Western) spies in the Kingdom (East) they have inexplicably a princess in their ranks in the first episode. Also the same kinda makes a mess of Episode 2 which then jumps back in time to the start of the operations and shows how they "suborned" the princess but the fact that the political situation and the brefing of the mission (not only suborn the princess) aren't properly explained the solution they arrive at for the problem they are presented with ends up being more confusing than it should.

But eh, it's still rather fun, allthough I kinda think it's not going to continue being "fun" for long for our protagonists. This is a spy story, unless part of them don't get captured it's not working it's chops and they have been abusing their ability to use Princess as a cover the go wherever a bit too much.
User avatar
SpammyV
Contact:

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby SpammyV » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:38 am

I haven't stopped watching Turn A Gundam.

Probably the biggest stretch of credulity in Turn A Gundam is that Loran's employer, Kihel Heim, looks exactly like Dianna Soleil, the queen of the Moon Race. Who are both 18, because fiction. Actually they're not precisely identical, Dianna is noticeably paler. But that's more something that we the audience know that isn't commented on in the show. Dianna and Kihel don't fail to notice their resemblance, and meet privately together early on when it looks like the negotiations will work. Although it's a stretch to swallow I still like the results of this odd development. Dianna's interactions with Kihel smoothly introduce how Dianna is a somewhat lonely person, and it's Dianna's idea to switch clothes with Kihel when the negotiating party visits the nearby countryside, to play a game between them. However unauthorized attacks make Dianna's head guard take her away with strands both women in their disguised roles.

But I do like the results. Kihel (disguised as Dianna) grows a lot in terms of strength and leadership, singlehandedly figuring how out to use Dianna's computer to learn enough about the Moon Race to play the part relatively convincingly. Dianna (disguised as Kihel) sees more of the Earth and its people, and comes face to face with the effects her decisions have had on people. She grows more responsible and returns to the Moon Race with newfound strength of character. It's good stuff. And when the leader of the military detachment on Earth tries to pull a coup, Dianna fools them into thinking that she's Kihel playing Dianna's body double while the actual Kihel and pretends to be the real Dianna.

Also good is Guin/Gwen Rhineford's descent from good guy to "Probably shouldn't trust this guy." Sure, he's openly all for negotiating with the Moon Race to find a peaceful solution. And hey, he's the one who allows Moon Race civilians to join the Terrans and doesn't treat them any differently. But he does it so that he can hire technicians to repair all the Mobile Suits that they're digging up and it's clear after a while that he's more interested in military technology than negotiations, repeatedly passing by the chance to start peace talks again to focus more on repairing the intact spaceship discovered underground.

There's also a moment that I don't think I was supposed to get so wrapped up on, but I did. When Loran first came to the Earth from the Moon he did so with two others, Fran and Keith. In one of the darker moments, where the Moon Race is ransacking towns to steal food for the upcoming winter, Keith angrily lashes out at Loran for being a pilot, demanding to know how many people Loran's killed. Loran says none, which is true. I think Loran is actually the goodest good boy in all of Gundam with the lowest body count. But then Keith asks if that has helped any, which is the part that really stopped me. Sure, Loran's hands are relatively clean, as opposed to say, Amuro. Who killed two people in his first appearance and only went up from there. But has that dedication to pacificism helped? Loran's not killing Moon Race pilots, but he's not even really disabling them. He takes away their offensive capability or incapacitates them, but almost every unit he's fought against has been allowed to retreat to be repaired. Is that actually a bad thing? Would the Moon Race be more open to negotiation if their offensive actions truly cost them mobile suits and pilots...? The show largely seems to be on Loran's side when it comes to not killing and trying to keep the peace dream alive, so I'm still mostly in shock still that the show would ever imply, even slightly, that Loran needs to be more destructive.

Also I realized that Leutenant Poe from the Moon Race is somehow a reincarnation of Jerid that is even more pathetic. Jerid was a complete tool with illusions of grandeur while getting repeatedly clowned on by the hero. Poe keeps trying to prove she's a good soldier but gets clowned on over and over. It's a good thing Poe doesn't try to pretend she's Loran's rival, because I'd take that idea even less seriously than I did with Jerid.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:00 pm

Okay, as some MIGHT know I have been watching current anime. In fact this is like the first season for me that I watched. And I watched a lot of these to keep along with what my group was watching. So now that some of the shows have ended, what did I watch?

Re: Creators
This one has been running for the past two seasons and I only joined in late during this one. I think I spoke of it before, in pretty glowing terms. Unfortunately this turned out to be a disappointment. A lot of what I spoke about last time stayed there. The characters were enjoyable and the show tired to say interesting things about the creation process itself to the point that the main characters were kinda the creators more than the creations themselves. BUUT and this is a QUITE a stinking but, then FUCKING Altair happened.
See, Altair is the overall big bad of the show. Her goal is to destroy the ENTIRE WORLD and all the created worlds, because trolls on the interned were mean to her creator so she killed herself. In her last days her master, Setsuna, created her character as a version of her previous creation, to be the OC in basically her revenge fic against the world. And after her death this character kinda exploded on pixiv and became a meeme on it's own. Kinda like Chuck Norris, with people attributing her all sorts of powers. And then SOMEHOW she became aware of the real world, and SOMEHOW she was able to get there, and SOMEHOW pull other characters in. Which is never really explained how it happens. And she is the WORST type of big bad. The kind that is utterly invulnerable to EVERYTHING and can do WHATEVER she pleases since as I said she is a Chuck Norris like meme.
Now the idea for that is interesting, but in execution it FUCKING ruins the show since whatever the protagonist do to her is useless. She can LITERALLY reverse the cause and effect. SO when the one of the protagonists manages to get through her layers upon layers of bullshit and stab her in her chest, she herself gets stabbed and dies. And she is FUCKING insufferable for it. And then at the end of it all, despite all plans and sacrifices she is nearly victorious. Oh and BTW the entire final battle is streamed to the audience as this big anime thing called the Carival or something. And guess what, the Japanese audiences LOVE her. They fucking LOVE the omnicidal invulnerable bastard?!? Oh and how is she "defeated" in the end. This is a gem really.
Basically they give her a happy ending. Through bit of BS, courtesy of a witch that can turn lies into reality, they let her speak with her creator and at the end they go away happy and forever together creating worlds for themselves to live... Yup. She gets a happy ending and goes away happy, after all of this.... And the audiences lap it up. Sooo FUUUUCK this show.
I would still not say it's a total wash, because of the above positives, but the antagonist ruins this for me.

Knight's&Magic
Image
Now this is a much more positive one. I talked about it, but before I go into it, if you are here for character development, deep characters, or practically anything else that is not pure mecha and all about mecha, and showing just how obsessed with mecha the MC is, you should turn around right now. It's not like there aren't other characters, and that there isn't somce characterization to them, but clearly they are mostly there to serve as background and pilots of various ridiculous shit that Eru makes.
As I mentioned this is a transported/reborn into another world type of story where our protagonist a genius programmer and MASSIVE Mecha-otaku dies and gets reborn in the world where there is mecha in the form of Silhouette Knights. Basically big metal knight shaped mechs piloted by knights. Also the fact that the guy was a genius level programmer and a mecha otaku (and started learning all about mechs and magic as soon as he learned of them at the age of 5) is used to justify him being able to create stuff and revolutionize several things about mecha and his status as a genius level mecha designer and pilot. So if you are mortally offended by Marty Stu type of characters you should also do a 180 and walk away, although he is actually not as bad as a character as that.

So if we aren't here really for the charactrs or such, what are we here for. For two things. Mecha action which is fun and pretty well done and designed, and being amazed at the shear LEVEL of obsession the MC has about mecha. Like he is allmost a caricature of a Mecha-Otaku. Which is kinda what saves him from being boring. He isn't just some random young protagonist that is loved by all ladies and wins through grit and angst. While some of the girls consider him cute and Addy, practically uses him as a body pillow he is 100% UNINTERESTED in anything that isn't measured in tons, and comes with descriptions such as 'power output", "armor thickness" and "firepower".
And some of the lines he spouts are fucking GOLD and pretty well describe how much he doesn't care about anything but mecha. Like "Only robots are allowed to kill other robots!" after a monster the size of a hill wrecked a squad of mechs that tried to confront it. Or "Poor robots your freedom stolen" when he encounters robots mounted on an airship as turrets. Hell his goal at the end is to defeat a gigantic battleship, so that nations don't start building those instead of beautiful robots. And the reactions to his antics by others are priceless.
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
The later parts of the season is basically all about him and another nerd, only this one hasn't been reincarnated here and is obsessed with airships, use a war to compete with their designs.

Unfortunately if there is one part of the show that it's a shame they did so, is that it's kinda rushed. They were able to cram like 5-6 VNs into this one season. And a lot of the stuff in the novels is talking about how the mechs work and talking about design which I would find interesting, but most of that is pretty much skipped in the mad dash to finish the war arc during this season. which is a shame.
TLDR: Watch as a ridiculously mecha obsessed mecha otaku fulfills all his dreams about the mecha, and do ridiculous shit.

Princess Principal
As I mentioned this is a spy (more of the James Bond/NOLF variety) story set in the steampunk London that is divided between republican east (Commonwealth) and west (Kingdom) by a relatively recent revolution. Our protagonists are a group of spies for the Commonwealth in the Kingdom's part of London.
This thing is gorgeous, fun and entertaining, with fun characters and interesting action. Pretty much warm recommendation on this one, unlike K&M that does require setting your mind in a certain state to ignore it's problems.
If there is anything that I would hold against it, is that the politics behind the missions often don't entirely make sense, and that I thought it was going to be a bit of a more darker affair, with more lying to each other and such. Also most of the episodes untill teh last couple are basically vignettes exploring various characters and their motivations and how they work. It's fun, but maybe the actual plot could have started a bit sooner.
As I said warm unreserved recommendation. Probably the greatest gem of this season.

Aho: Girl
Now if the PP is the one that I am most likely to recommend, and K&M was fun but had issues, this one is the one I probably had MOST fun with, even though I don't think it would be to everyone's tastes. The main issue here is that the show as a LOT of Japanese media can be a bit on the dirty side. In this case it can be a bit ecchi. Mostly because the idiot is prone to undressing herself and such. But it holds the distinction that none of these scenes that would normally be fanservice actually are because most of the characters in question are terrible people, and the titular girl is pretty much treated as a monkey undressing.
So if you have the skin to take a certain amount of lewd, WATCH THIS SHOW.
What is the show about? It's about the titular idiot girl, an idiot of such caliber that she manages regulary to score 0s on her multiple choice exams. It's about her childhood friend A-kun, a honors student obsessed with studying, who unfortunately for him has to put up with her shenanigans since he is naturally a dour person so that combined with the Aho has driven basically everyone else. It's about other similarly broken cast of characters from Aho's scrupulness mother (hellbent on marrying her to someone, preferably A-kun so she can leach on him) Sayaka (girl too good for herself who out of pity befriends Aho and A-kun) the Morals Committee president (who is obsessed with A-kun, stalks him and is on the pervy side vis a vis the same) and the Dog. And it's saying something when the Dog (which is an actual BIG white dog) is the most human one, in that he is smart, able to understand intricate situations and language and is emphatic towards others to the point that A-kun notes that the one good thing that came out of meeting the Aho is that he met the Dog.
It has the amount of frenetic often over the top humor that I REALLY like. And while some parts are formulaic, the setups for the jokes are often quite varied. Like in the later episode there is a spoof on shonen anime where Aho goes against a gang, or races a motorbike with Dog and such. Hell given the amount of punching involved (mostly involving the Aho getting slapped for another of her shenanigans) the later episodes often go shonen as fuck. But still completely ridiculous and over the top.
Furthermore it's progressive in it's own weird way. While yes both the Aho and the President are interested in te A-kun, their interest is clearly unwanted because both are various levels of dysfunctional. But at the same time rather than the timid girls that anime likes to portray, they are pretty active in doing something about what they want and coming up with weird and often pervy plans on how to show their affection. Plans that are often used by male characters in anime. Like in one episode at the onsen, the Aho and the President get into their crazed heads that they need to see A-kun naked. In fact President's justification for this breach of privacy is that she needs to see him naked "for his own good" (something something if he is endowed something something if he isn't).
Oh and also this thing kinda stresses how important it is to study, because you don't want to end up like "an animal" like Aho*. Hell there are three recurring characters, two elementary boys and a girl. And even they note that one shouldn't be like Aho, not study ever and such. Then again poor Ruri (A-kun's little sister), is as bad in school as Aho and this is DESPITE working her ass off studying, she is simply bad at everything, except being A-kun's sister.
* Which is my one ACTUAL complaint about the show, how it might be pushing the idea that if you are bad at school you are a worthless animal, which is not a nice idea.
So all in all I had a BLAST watching this DESPITE the annoying Japanese obsession with underwear which could rear it's ugly head from time to time. DEFINITE recommendation if you want comedy and can take anime shenanigans.
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
User avatar
Daemian Lucifer

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Daemian Lucifer » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:20 pm

4th Dimension wrote:If there is anything that I would hold against it, is that the politics behind the missions often don't entirely make sense


Ah,so they went with a highly realistic setting then.
User avatar
4th Dimension

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby 4th Dimension » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:34 am

Daemian Lucifer wrote:
4th Dimension wrote:If there is anything that I would hold against it, is that the politics behind the missions often don't entirely make sense


Ah,so they went with a highly realistic setting then.

Har har, even if it is steampunk people and politics should still work the same. And the show treats the entire steampunk world straight. It's early 20th century London just that steampunk and airships are a thing, and they aren't even focus of it, just a cool background and an excuse for the animators to put pipes and steam all over the place.
As I say, the motivations and how politics work should make inherent sense, and in this case they are often messy. I think I provided an example in a previous post. A lot of it can be head cannoned or is explained POST after the fact, but it ruins the setup if you learn of it AFTERWARDS something the characters knew all along. It spoils their resolution a bit because their solution is not constrained by it.
User avatar
Retsam

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Retsam » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 pm

A number of theaters in America are showing Ghibli movies (more accurately, Miyazaki films, since Nausicaä) in theaters once a month, which my wife and I have been going to, since neither of us have actually seen Ghibli movies before now. (Except for some bits and pieces of Spirited Away that I saw years ago)

Last month's movie was Castle in the Sky and this month was Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (or "Snow White and the Giant Ugly Bug Things" as I like to call it). I enjoyed them both, but of the two, I preferred Castle in the Sky. Nausicaä just felt a bit too on-the-nose with it's themes (industry bad, nature good), and while Castle in the Sky had a lot of the same themes, it had a really charming adventure story wrapped around those themes, while Nausicaä's environmentalist themes largely were the story.

Plus, Nausicaä falls into my pet peeve category of "hagiography", where the (frequently female) protagonist is just perfect and flawless in every way. She always does the absolute right thing in every circumstance, she's decisive, charismatic, loved by everyone, perfectly compassionate, single-handled unravels major details about the setting that apparently no one else has discovered in the last 1000 years (before the movie's story begins, even), and an ace flier. Apparently she can even beat a half-dozen soldiers in a fight, despite no explained reason why she would have had combat training. It's not really a flaw in the movie, but it's rather a pet peeve of mine and usually gets my eyes rolling.

Castle in the Sky, on the other hand, as I said, I found really charming. The story has serious aspects to it, but the overall tone of the movie was a ton more lighthearted and fun and adventurous. I can see why people would definitely prefer Nausicaä, it's clearly the movie that's more "meaningful" and if I were writing an English essay on one of these films, it'd definitely be Nausicaä... but overall, I just found Castle in the Sky to be more fun to watch.

---

Speaking of my depressingly plebeian tastes, I'm watching My Hero Academia, which I'm enjoying a ton. It's a superhero show which takes the stereotypical shonen formula and polishes it to an absolute shine. It's got all the usual tropes (huge cast where everyone has unique powers, protagonist starts out underpowered, has a burning rivalry with a childhood friend, a tournament arc, etc), but it does them really well. It's, essentially, a streamlined version of Naruto (which the author has cited as a huge influence).

Though, as someone who really appreciates Naruto (see "tastes, plebeian"), I do think "streamlined Naruto" is a bit of a double-edged sword. On the plus side, within a half-dozen episodes it's already gotten to the best parts of Naruto, where you've got that diverse cast of side-characters with interesting powers fighting each other. (For comparison, it took about 20-30 episodes for Naruto to get to that point) And certainly, for a lot of people, the fact that the main character is a lot less annoying and that there's a lot less angst than in Naruto is going to be a huge selling point.

... But I for one have always felt that "Naruto is too annoying" as a criticism, is sort of missing the point. (Though it's certainly fine as a subjective statement of taste) Because, a huge point of the story is that everyone finds Naruto annoying, and for me at least, a big part of the appeal of the show for me was Naruto's character progression: not just in terms of physical combat ability, but seeing him slowly go from a complete outsider and social reject at the beginning of the show, to someone who slowly gains the friendship and respect of his peers.

In My Hero Academia, the main character has a tragic backstory of being a social reject, but by like the 5th episode, that's basically all in the rear-view mirror, and the main character has been entirely accepted by his peers. I'm not saying the story had to focus on that aspect, but, just in general, it feels like things come a bit too easily for the main character; the cycle of "set up problem -> resolve problem for catharsis" just seems to be a little too quick and frequent for my tastes. The story beats end up feel just a bit shallow, which is probably an artifact of the quick pacing.

But, that's small criticisms of a show I've been enjoying a ton overall.
User avatar
Supahewok

Re: Anime might be cool

Postby Supahewok » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:38 pm

"Industry bad, nature good" is basically 60% of Miyazaki's works.

Return to “Twenty Sided Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest